Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #91
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

Never seen pictures of the wine passport - love that idea and will definitely try it next trip.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #92
jabead
DIS Veteran

There are a variety of ways to get to this evening’s dining destination, located at the Grand Floridian Resort. If you are coming from the Magic Kingdom, you can take the small boat that runs between the MK, Grand Floridian, and the Polynesian. (I think in that order)

This is very convenient, as it docks right next to this restaurant.

However, if you arrive by bus (like we did) or by the Resort Monorail then you must exit the main building of the Grand Floridian Resort (where the lobby and all the rest of the resort’s restaurants are located). You do this from the doors located near the Grand Floridian Cafe on the first floor and then follow this path toward the water…

Until you arrive at this lakeside restaurant.

For Dinner at NARCOOSSEE'S

THE SHORT VERSION

Highlights – Shrimp & Crab Chowder, Calamari, Whole Maine Lobster, Almond-crusted Cheesecake, Table Location, and Personalized Birthday Menu

Disappointments – Surf & Turf

Would we Return? – Yes

THE LONG VERSION

We arrived on time for our 7:40 p.m. reservation and I asked if we could wait for a table by the window. We were given a pager and then waited outside on the deck until it went off about 20 minutes later. My request was granted and our table was located next to the window and had a lovely view of Cinderella’s castle. (sorry no pic)

After looking over the wine/cocktail menu, DD decided to go with the Red Sangria ($8.00). This was a blend of Red Spanish Wine, Mediterranean citrus fruit, and Contreau, a French orange liquor. I spotted a wine on the menu that I had tried for the first time at a Christmas party last year and really enjoyed, so that is what I ordered. This was Eroica Reisling from Chateau Ste. Michelle, a Washington State winery. My only complaint regarding my wine was that the size of my pour was rather small for $13, especially when you compare it to the amount of wine I received (3 glasses, each nearly the same amount as this one) at Flying Fish for $17.

Red Sangria and Eroica Reisling

We were then served a basket of sourdough bread.

For my appetizer, I again went with the Shrimp & Crab Chowder. I had enjoyed this on my last two visits to Narcoossee’s and it was again very good…rich and creamy and full of pieces of shrimp and crab.

Shrimp and Crab Chowder with Dill Crème Fraîche, Chives, and Narcoossee’s Oyster Crackers

However, I think I actually liked DD’s appetizer even more than the chowder. She orderd the Rhode Island Calamari with Pepperoncini Relish, Tomato Coulis, and Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The breading of the calamari was especially delicious.

Rhode Island Calamari

DD loves lobster so she was not about to pass up the opportunity to have this…

Steamed Whole Maine Lobster with Baked Sherry-Cheddar Orecchiette Pasta and Delta Asparagus

She really enjoyed her lobster and ate every single bite of it, with the exception of the small taste that I got to have.

I couldn’t decide what to order for my entrée because there were several things on the menu that sounded really good to me…Shrimp & Scallop Fettuccine, Crispy Whole Snapper, and Crab-crusted Flounder, to name a few. So what did I do? Being on the DDP, I ordered the most expensive entrée on the menu, just as I had done on my two most recent visits to Narcoossee’s (also while on the DDP). The first time I had the Surf & Turf (March 2010) I thought it was really good. Last time (Nov. 2010) though, it wasn’t as good. This time it was better, but IMHO still not worth anywhere close to $59 (if paying OOP). The two filet medallions were good, but not nearly as good as the filet mignon at Yachtsman Steakhouse. The lobster tail seemed fine at first, but then I tasted DD’s lobster, which was much better. And then there is the Duchess Potatoes…these are truly a waste of plate space! This time I knew better than to even touch them. So I know what you are all probably saying right about now…”It’s your own darn fault, jabead. You caved under the pressure of the DDP.” To which my only response is, “Yes I did and I’m truly sorry. I promise to try and order better next time.”

Surf & Turf - Medallions of Filet Mignon with Béarnaise Sauce , Lobster Tail, Duchess Potatoes, and Wax Beans

On a more positive note, not long after our entrees were served the Magic Kingdom fireworks began (at 9:00).

And now on to dessert. DD went with the Gelato Sampler which consisted of one scoop each of four different flavors…(clockwise from the top) cappuccino, pistachio, chocolate, and strawberry. She said the gelato was just okay, but I think this was because she was too full from eating all her lobster to really appreciate it.

Gelato Sampler

As for my dessert choice, I of course ordered one of my favorite desserts at Disney World…

Almond-crusted Cheesecake finished with Lambert Cherry Sauce

This was again delicious and I couldn’t stop myself from eating the whole thing despite the fact that I was very full.

For our included non-alcoholic beverage, we both had with our dessert the Vanilla Rooibos tea, which on the menu was described as being Caffeine-free, rich and full-bodied with a creamy vanilla finish. This was so good that we ended up ordering it again at one or two other meals.

Vanilla Rooibos Tea

One more thing that I forgot to mention earlier. I was presented with a personalized Birthday menu here, which the server took from me after I placed my order. He said that he would place it in an envelope to help keep it nice and return it to me before we left. Well, sadly he forgot to give it back to me and I forgot to ask for it. Other than this small thing (and maybe the small wine pour), our waiter provided us with good service throughout our meal.

So all in all, this meal had many more positives than negatives. If I’d only ordered a different entrée, this could have potentially been an excellent meal. So lesson learned…I hope.

Now for the numbers...

Total cost of meal (not including tip and wine) - $159.58 (or $39.90 per Dining Plan credit)

And so I can do a DDP vs. TIW Cost Comparison at the end...

Total cost of meal (again not including tip and wine) if we had used my Tables in Wonderland discount of 20% instead of the DDP - $127.66

20% TIW Discount on Wine and Sangria - $4.20

4 Deluxe Dining Plan Credits used, 14 Remaining

NEXT UP: Breakfast at Sleepy Hollow

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - #3
- and - APRIL 2014 REVIEW - My Solo Birthday Trip

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan

Last edited by jabead; 06-11-2011 at 12:29 PM.
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #93
Tinker12
Mouseketeer

I'm craving surf and turf. It's a disppointment to hear that you did not enjoy it. The potatoes did look like they were over cooked or baked.

Overall, the appetizers and whole main lobster looks good. I'm glad you got to enjoy them as well as the dessert. Oh, sorry, you only got a small bite of the whole lobster.

Looking forward to the rest of the food report!!

Thanks for sharing.
AKL Concierge Sept/Oct 2008, AKL Sept/Oct 2009, CBR Sept/Oct 2010 , POFQ March 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2012 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2013 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2014

Tinker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #94
jabead
DIS Veteran

We decided to start this day at Magic Kingdom and arrived early enough to see the opening ceremony/show.

After riding a few of our favorite rides, we decided we needed a little breakfast snack to hold us over until our early lunch. We headed toward Main Street Bakery, but on our way through Liberty Square we walked by Sleepy Hollow. Now oddly enough, in all the times that we have been to Magic Kingdom, not once have we ever gotten anything to eat/drink from Sleepy Hollow. I had seen many pictures of their food offerings here on the DIS and had thought they looked delicious…especially the waffles and funnel cakes. So I suggested that we skip the bakery (which I’m sure had a very long line at this time of the morning) and we got in the very short line (only one person ahead of us) at Sleepy Hollow. I told DD about their waffles and funnel cakes and let her decide which of the two to get for us to share. She chose the funnel cake, along with an Iced Cappuccino.

Funnel Cake dusted with Powdered Sugar and an Iced Cappuccino from Sleepy Hollow

The funnel cake was delicious, but with all that powdered sugar it was very messy to eat. DD made fun of me when after a few bites, in an attempt to keep my clothes clean, I took a napkin and tucked it into my shirt underneath my chin. As for the Iced Cappuccino, there seemed to be more cream than coffee in it. This was fine with me, but DD didn’t like it…she likes her coffee drinks much stronger.

2 snack credits use (Value approx. $8.75), 10 more to go

NEXT UP: Lunch at Sanaa

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
Old 06-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #95
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

I'm glad your meal at Narcoossee's was mostly positive. Sometimes I feel crazy for liking Narcoossee's, as it seems most people on the boards consider it one of the worst signatures! Of course, I usually avoid the surf n' turf, but one time on the DDP I ordered it too. Mistake. At least next time, you'll pick something else, as it sounds like the rest of the food was good.

And I'm so happy you enjoyed the vanilla rooibos tea! My family is South African, and rooibos has been part of my life forever. It's not only healthy, but very tasty - I never feel the need to add milk or sweetener to it. But a few years ago, I never saw it anywhere in the States (besides Jiko). Now it's growing in popularity, and I can find it in places ranging from the other Disney signature restaurants to Whole Foods!
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 AM   #96
jabead
DIS Veteran

We arrived at the Animal Kingdom Lodge – Kidani Village a few minutes early for our lunch reservation so after walking through the beautifully decorated lobby…

We went outside to the animal viewing area where we saw some giraffes

and several zebra.

Soon it was 11:30 and time for our…

Lunch at SANAA

SANAA (Pronounced suh-NAH and means “Work of Art” in Swahili)

THE SHORT VERSION

Highlights – Birthday Card & Complimentary Dessert, Cocktails, Potato & Pea Samosas, Many Tea Choices (including Vanilla Rooibos)

Disappointments – Table Location, Rest of Food

Would We Return? – Maybe sometime

THE LONG VERSION

Since the restaurant was just opening for the day, I decided to ask if we could be seated by a window. Well, we were seated by a window (in a small room just inside the restaurant and not in the main dining room), but unfortunately our view of the savanna was nearly completely blocked by a fence. So be forewarned that not all of the tables by the windows here have a good view. I guess you need to specifically ask for a table by the window where the animals can be seen.

As you can see by the picture that I took of the main dining room shortly after we were seated, the restaurant was not full so there were several tables available with good views of the savanna. I guess I could have asked to be moved, but I decided just to let it go. So let’s move on to our meal.

We started by each ordering a cocktail. DD chose the Malawi Mango Margarita, a frozen blend of Tequila, Van der Hum Tangerine Liqueur from South Africa, Mango Purée, and Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice ($ 9.50). I went with the Kande Coconut Cooler, a combination of Starr African Rum, Coconut, Vanilla Ice Cream,and Orange Juice ($8.25). Both of these drinks were very good, but if I had to choose one I would choose the Kande Coconut Cooler.

Malawi Mango Margarita (left) and Kande Coconut Cooler

The lunch menu here is divided into 7 sections; Indian-style Bread Service, Appetizers, Salad Sampler, "Slow-Cooked in Gravy, Simple and Well-Seasoned”, From the Tandoor Ovens, Sanaa Vegetarian Sampler, and African Cooking with Indian Flavors. With the Deluxe Dining Plan, for our appetizer we could order anything under the first three sections. We went with the Indian-style Bread Service (serves 2, but counts as only one appetizer) and got to choose three breads (from I think 4) and three accompaniments (from 8 choices). For our breads, we chose Naan, Onion Kulcha, and Paneer Paratha. Mango Chutney, Cucumber Raita, and Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus were the accompaniments we selected. All of the breads were equally good, but the hummus was our favorite of the accompaniments followed by the chutney. We thought the Cucumber-Yogurt Raita was kind of boring. Although I’m glad we got to try the Bread Service, it’s probably not something I would order again if paying OOP.

Indian-style Bread Service

For our second appetizer we chose the Appetizer Sampler for Two. It consisted of two Potato and Pea Samosas (with mango chutney), two Lamb Kefta Kebobs (with mint chutney), and three pieces of Roasted Cauliflower (with tomato sauce). We both really liked the samosas, thought the lamb kebobs were okay, and disliked the cauliflower. This really surprised me because I like cauliflower and thought this would be my favorite of the three.

Appetizer Sampler

For my entrée, I chose from the “Slow-Cooked in Gravy, Simple and Well-Seasoned” section of the menu. There are five choices (two each of chicken and shrimp, plus beef short ribs) from which to choose two. You also get to choose between Basmati Rice or Five-Grain Rice Pilaf. I chose the Shrimp with Green Curry Sauce, the Beef Short Ribs, and the Five-Grain Rice Pilaf. These are served in three small square bowls (small portions) on a rectangular plate. The size of the portions was perfect for me, but for some this could be an issue I suppose. Anyway, I was again surprised as I was expecting to prefer the Short Ribs, but they were actually kind of dry and lacked flavor (despite them being served in gravy and supposedly well-seasoned). Consequently, I preferred the shrimp.

Srimp with Green Curry Sauce, Five-Grain Rice Pilaf, and Beef Short Ribs

For her entrée, DD had the Tandoori Chicken listed under the “From the Tandoor Oven” section of the menu. This was served open-faced on Naan Bread with Minted Greens, Tomato, Onion, and Cucumber-Yogurt Raita. Although this looked really good, she said it was just okay and barely ate any of it.

Tandoori Chicken

We decided to order just one dessert to share and chose the Dessert Trio, which included small portions of three desserts: Tropical Fruit Kulfi, Chai Cream, and Chocolate Cake. DD loved the Chai Cream, but I didn’t really care for it. Neither of us liked the Tropical Fruit Kulfi.

Dessert Trio of Tropical Fruit Kulfi, Chai Cream, and Chocolate Cake (from left to right in picture)

My favorite of the trio was the chocolate cake, which is a good thing because that is what I received as a complimentary dessert for my birthday. The cake was served with Raspberry-Mint Sorbet and was good, but not really remarkable in any way. Also, I forgot to mention that I received a birthday card here signed by the restaurant’s staff.

Complimentary Birthday Dessert

And finally, for our included non-alcoholic beverage, we both again had Vanilla Rooibos Tea with our desserts. They had a pretty extensive list of teas on the menu here, including several flavors of Rooibos. (mango, hazelnut, and pina colada, to name a few). Unlike at Narcoossee’s, where the tea was served in a pressed pot, our tea was served in a regular tea pot here. However, to me anyway, it tasted the same…both times very good and an excellent accompaniment to our desserts.

Vanilla Rooibos Tea

In conclusion, although our meal at Sanaa had a few shining moments, overall I would have to say it was a little disappointing. Since this was our first experience here, we will probably give it another try sometime but it was definitely not good enough to warrant being added to our must-do list.

Now for the numbers...

Total cost of meal (not including tip and cocktails) – $82.57 (or $41.28 per Dining Plan credit)

Total cost of meal (again not including tip and cocktails) if we had used my
Tables in Wonderland discount of 20% instead of the DDP - $66.06

20% TIW Discount on Cocktails - $3.55

2 Deluxe Dining Plan Credits used, 12 Remaining

NEXT UP: Drinking (& Eating) Around Epcot’s World Showcase – Part II

Last edited by jabead; 06-16-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #98
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
Ah nuts...I finally convinced DH to try this place for dinner on our next trip. I really want to try Sanaa

Oh, please don't let our review change your mind about trying this restaurant, as we in no way regret our decision to dine there. I probably should have said that in the review. And as I did say, I would probably try it again sometime, but order differently. For our first experience though, I'm glad that we ordered the various samplers, as that was a great way to try several different things from their menu. So now that we know what we like/dislike here, we should have greater success with our choices the next time around.

The lobby, savanna, and restaurant were beautiful...heck, even the restrooms were pretty! And if you and/or Todd like Pina Coladas, then you should definitely try the Kande Coconut Cooler. And then there are the samosas...very yummy!!! So by all means, I think you should give Sanaa a try. And I look forward to hearing about your experience.

P.S. After reading the next post from Deena, I guess I should add this...Stay away from that devil cauliflower! It's so not worth the risk of getting sick over.

Last edited by jabead; 06-16-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #99
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

ahhh those are the devil califlower that made me sicker than a dog

just looking at them make me cringe, lol. sorry you had a disappointing meal! i think i would have loved my club sandwich for lunch there if there wasn't an immediate reaction from my appy.

i may have to try the whole lobster at narcoossee's. i was underwhelmed by the surf and turf, but that looks really good!!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #100
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLuvLuv View Post
ahhh those are the devil califlower that made me sicker than a dog

just looking at them make me cringe, lol. sorry you had a disappointing meal! i think i would have loved my club sandwich for lunch there if there wasn't an immediate reaction from my appy.

i may have to try the whole lobster at narcoossee's. i was underwhelmed by the surf and turf, but that looks really good!!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the cauliflower at Sanaa. And I didn't remember there being a club sandwich on the menu, so just looked online and saw it...the Turkey Club Sandwich served on Multigrain Bread with Turkey Bacon, Vine-ripened Tomato, and Mayonnaise. That sounds really good! I might have to try that next time, if they still have it.

As for the Whole Maine Lobster at Narcoossee's, it is definitely better than the lobster tail that is part of the Surf & Turf. DD has had it there twice and really enjoyed it both times.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #101
jabead
DIS Veteran

After our lunch at Sanaa, we decided to hop on the bus to Epcot (stopping at Animal Kingdom Lodge – Jambo House first) so that we could continue our…

DRINKING (AND EATING) AROUND THE WORLD–PART II

This time we decided to begin on the other side of World Showcase. We skipped Canada, as we thought we might wait and have our drink there sometime when Off Kilter (my favorite live entertainment at Epcot) was performing. So our first stop was in the United Kingdom. It had started raining so we decided to go into the Rose & Crown Pub for our drink.

Since we couldn’t decide which kind of beer to order, we ending up getting this…

Imperial Sampler

At only $11 (plus tax & tip), this was a great deal and we really enjoyed trying all the different beers. I’m not much of a beer drinker so my favorite was the Strongbow Cider, but all of these beers were quite drinkable for me (with the possible exception of the Guinness). On our last trip I had tried the Woodpecker Cider here and didn’t like it (tasted like a weird ginger ale to me ), so I was pleasantly surprised with the Strongbow Cider. I really enjoyed this and look forward to having it again sometime.

OOP cost - $11.72 (plus tip)
Points earned - 15

When the rain finally let up, we made our way to France. I decided that after drinking all that beer, we should have a little food and where better to get a snack then the bakery in France. So I got in line at Boulangerie Patisserie (which as usual the line was out the door, but thankfully moves pretty fast) and once inside was tempted by the many wonderful pastries displayed in their glass cases. But nothing was tempting enough to sway me away from getting my favorite….

Napoleon from France and Casablanca Coffee from Morocco

Ahhh, my napoleon…How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Ummm sorry , moving on now to Morocco. DD decided she wanted some baklava for her afternoon snack. Inside the Tangierine Café we asked at the coffee/pastry bar (located in the back) if we could get a piece of baklava for a snack credit and sadly were told we could not. DD decided she didn’t want it bad enough to pay cash for it, so instead we decided to get coffee here to have with my napoleon. But of course we didn’t get just ordinary coffee; we got coffee with a kick to it. They have a few different choices for flavored liqueurs here. We chose the Casablanca Coffee, which had vanilla liqueur added. I didn’t like this at all, as the alcohol taste was way too strong, so DD had this pretty much to herself. But I was perfectly content to just have my napoleon…sooooo delicious!!!

OOP cost - $7.45
1 snack credit used (Value approx. $4), 9 more to go
Points Earned – 20

That was as far as we got on this second day of our Drinking (& Eating) Around the World, so here were our totals.

GAME TOTALS FOR DAY 2

OOP Cost - $19.17 (plus tip)
1 Snack Credit Used
Points earned – 35 + 50 for Meal at La Hacienda

NEXT UP: Dinner at La Hacienda

Last edited by jabead; 08-31-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #102
hogwartsdropout
You can't run away from trouble...ain't no place that far..

Love your reviews. I never knew what Sanaa looked like inside, looks really pretty!
2000, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside
2009 - Saratoga Springs
2008-2009 UK World Showcase CM (stayed at WL, POR, GF, CR, ASSp, ASMo, CS, CB, YC, Pop)
2011 - ASSp and WL
2012 - ASSp and AKL
2014 - ASSp - Got engaged in Epcot!
hogwartsdropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #103
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwartsdropout View Post
Love your reviews. I never knew what Sanaa looked like inside, looks really pretty!

Thanks! And yes, Sanaa is quite beautiful...even the restrooms.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #104
Rox.jea
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
We decided to start this day at Magic Kingdom and arrived early enough to see the opening ceremony/show.

After riding a few of our favorite rides, we decided we needed a little breakfast snack to hold us over until our early lunch. We headed toward Main Street Bakery, but on our way through Liberty Square we walked by Sleepy Hollow. Now oddly enough, in all the times that we have been to Magic Kingdom, not once have we ever gotten anything to eat/drink from Sleepy Hollow. I had seen many pictures of their food offerings here on the DIS and had thought they looked delicious…especially the waffles and funnel cakes. So I suggested that we skip the bakery (which I’m sure had a very long line at this time of the morning) and we got in the very short line (only one person ahead of us) at Sleepy Hollow. I told DD about their waffles and funnel cakes and let her decide which of the two to get for us to share. She chose the funnel cake, along with an Iced Cappuccino.

Funnel Cake dusted with Powdered Sugar and an Iced Cappuccino from Sleepy Hollow

The funnel cake was delicious, but with all that powdered sugar it was very messy to eat. DD made fun of me when after a few bites, in an attempt to keep my clothes clean, I took a napkin and tucked it into my shirt underneath my chin. As for the Iced Cappuccino, there seemed to be more cream than coffee in it. This was fine with me, but DD didn’t like it…she likes her coffee drinks much stronger.

2 snack credits use (Value approx. $8.75), 10 more to go

NEXT UP: Lunch at Sanaa
My brother will cross the park after eating a large meal for this funnel cake & I'm a huge fan of the simple rootbeer floats. I'm gonna have to try this funnel cake. I recently had one @ a carnival near home & it was sooo good. I gave in to this fried food. Oh well, life is short. Eat FUNNEL CAKE!!! Reviews are very entertaining!!

I just want to add what a great deal on the 5 beer choices my husband will LOVE that & I LOVE the wine passport! Wayy less money than what we spent last time! Thanks for posting that. I wonder if they'd pour the beer as you finish. I don't like warm beer. Would you know? & Do you know if we both wanted the Rosa in Italy if we could sub & get 2 rosa??

Last edited by Rox.jea; 06-21-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Rox.jea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #105
jabead
DIS Veteran

Soon it was time to head toward the other side of World Showcase for our 7:15 reservation for…

Dinner at LA HACIENDA de SAN ANGEL

THE SHORT VERSION

Highlights – Candlelit dessert and Serenaded with Mexican Birthday Song, Margaritas, Tilapia, Very Good Service

Disappointments – Table Location, Pollo al Pastor

Would We Return? – Yes

THE LONG VERSION

In case there is anyone that is not familiar with Epcot’s newest sit-down restaurant (opened in Fall ’10), it is located along the water in the Mexico area of World Showcase.

I first dined here last November with my DH and we had asked if we could wait to be seated at a table by a window. After a wait of nearly hour (which we didn’t mind at all), we were seated at a table close to the window with this great view of Illuminations.

This time however, we weren’t quite as lucky. I again asked if we could wait, but this time we were called to be seated after only about a 5 minute wait. Rather than being seated on the right side of the restaurant (closest to the outdoor seating for the counter service restaurant, La Cantina), we were seated this time on the left side, which has an obstructed view (due to the tower and outside landscaping on that side) if you are seated by a window (which we were not). I decided not to say anything since we were seated so early (7:20ish), I figured we would be done with our meal in time to go outside and watch Illuminations.

In case you have never been inside La Hacienda, here is a picture that I took during the day, when the restaurant is not yet open for dining, but is open for seating for customers of La Cantina.

Now on to our meal, and starting with one of the best parts of my meal…the margaritas! My favorite margarita from my last trip to Disney World was from this restaurant, so I was excited to have it again. I ordered the Lime Raspberry Margarita which has El Mayor premium silver Tequila, orange liqueur, raspberry, fresh lime juice, and agave nectar syrup served on the rocks with a hibiscus Himalayan salt rim. This was again delicious, but would it be my favorite margarita of this trip? You’ll have to stay tuned to find out. DD prefers her margaritas in the more classic form so that is what she ordered. This had all the same ingredients as mine, with the exception of the raspberry, and was again served on the rocks, but with a different type of salt rim (cactus-lemongrass). The margaritas here are rather expensive, at $12.50, but if you like to have a margarita with your Mexican food (as I do) then these are worth the splurge.

Classic Margarita and Lime Raspberry Margarita

Next came the chips and salsas. There has been much debate here on the boards about these…some saying they are straight out of a bag/jar and others saying they are freshly-made, etc. I don’t really have anything to add here except… they are free, tasted fine, and we pretty much devoured them.

Chips and Salsas

For our first appetizer, we shared the Botana, which was a sampling of three traditional Mexican favorites…a chicken tostada, a Chilorio (marinated pork) sope, and a cheese empanada. All three of these were quite good, but if I were forced to choose a favorite it would be the sope, as the marinated pork was very tender and flavorful.

The Botana Appetizer

Our second shared appetizer was the Taquiza, which consisted of three tacos…one rib eye with chipotle salsa (DD’s favorite), one roasted chicken with salsa verde, and one Chilorio (marinated pork). Again the pork was my favorite, but we enjoyed them all.

The Taquiza Appetizer

So our meal was off to a very good start…would our success continue with the entrees? Let’s find out, shall we.

I took only a quick glance at the entrees on the menu, as I had long ago decided what I wanted to order here, the tilapia. However, when I told DD what I planned to order, she looked up from her menu and gave me the “pouty face”. Yes, you guessed it; she too had picked the tilapia after seeing the somewhat limited choices (only five entrees, if you don’t count the combination platters for 2) on the menu here. And since she had decided at the beginning of our trip that we should always order different things, she didn’t want us both to order the tilapia. Although she said she could order something else (insert sigh and more of the “pouty face”), being the good mother that I am, I took one for the team. So goodbye tilapia and hello chicken. More specifically, the Pollo al Pastor, which was achiote marinated chicken served with roasted vegetables, beans and pineapple relish. Now this sounds really good on paper, doesn’t it? And looks really good too (see pic below). Sadly though, this was not very good. The chicken was rather dry and flavorless, so the best part of the dish turned out to be the roasted vegetables, especially the zucchini.

Pollo al Pastor (aka Really Dry Chicken)

But of course, the tilapia was outstanding. This was listed on the menu as Pescado a la Talla and was grilled tilapia served with esquites (roasted corn), nopales (cactus leaves), and mango chutney. DD absolutely loved this entrée! And from the taste that I got, I would have to agree…this entrée is a winner. If you like tilapia, then you should definitely give this one a try.

Pescado a la Talla (aka Delicious Tilapia)

Our entrees were served with bowls of Mexican rice and refried beans.

Mexican Rice and Refried Beans

And that just leaves dessert. Now since DD had pretty much licked her plate clean, she was too full for dessert. I, on the other hand, was not. So for dessert I chose the Empanada de Manzana, which was a puff pastry filled with sautéed caramel apples, served with dulce de leche ice cream and cajeta (Mexican caramel sauce). This was served to me with a lit candle in honor of my birthday. Also, I was serenaded by our server and several of the other waitstaff with the Mexican version of the Happy Birthday song.

Empanada de Manzana (aka Apple Turnover)

This would have been just an “okay” apple turnover had it not been for the delicious Mexican caramel sauce. This gave the dessert a boost into the “good” category and if there had been more of the sauce on the turnover then it may have even reached the “very good” mark.

Anyway, by the time my dessert was served, it was 8:45ish and the tables around us were mostly empty (including one by the window). So I asked our server, Jesus, if we could move to the empty table by the window to eat my dessert and watch the show. He graciously allowed us do this and even moved my dessert, our water glasses, silverware, etc. for us. Just like at our last visit to La Hacienda, the service was again very good here.

So that concludes our meal at La Hacienda, which was a very good one for DD. And if I had broken the rule and also ordered the tilapia than my meal would have been very good as well. Next time (and I’m sure there will be a next time), all the “pouty faces” in the world will not keep me from ordering the tilapia. I just hope it’s still on the menu.

Now for the numbers...

Total cost of meal (not including tip and margaritas) – $81.53 (or $40.76 per Dining Plan credit)

Total cost of meal (again not including tip and margaritas) if we had used my
Tables in Wonderland discount of 20% instead of the DDP - $65.22

20% TIW Discount on Margaritas - $5.00

2 Deluxe Dining Plan Credits used, 10 Remaining

Drinking (& Eating) Around the World Game Points Earned for 2 Meals - 50

NEXT UP: Lunch at Hollywood Brown Derby

Last edited by jabead; 08-30-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: