Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
tortoni
DIS Veteran

Eat Beat-updated 9/25 Yak & Yeti

Well, we just returned from a lovely 11 day holiday at WDW. I have learned so much from reading all of your reviews, so I am going to attempt preparing one of my own. We took lots of pictures, but I am a novice at posting, so may need some help along the way.

First, the cast of characters. There is DH, a Disney lover since our first trip together back in 1991. I am a veteran Mickey fanatic and made my first trip to the World in 1980. What a difference between then and now! Our three kids were also along for all or part of our trip—DS 20, DD 18 and DS 15. We stayed at the Beach Club on the Stone Harbor floor and also had a studio villa for the part of the time that older DS was with us so that we would not be cramped. We had free dining as part of our BC stay, lots of snacks in the concierge lounge and 2 overlapping nights on the DXDP. In total, we had 67 TS credits, 63 Snack credits and 55 QS credits. WOW- it was a lot of food! In fact, it was so much food that we had trouble using all the credits and, by the last few days, I was not really hungry for our meals. But no worries, eat we did and we used up all those credits.

Where? In addition to lots of QS places, we ate at the following TS restaurants.

Rose and Crown
Le Cellier (2X)
Tony’s Town Square
Sci-Fi Diner
La Hacienda
The Plaza
Via Napoli
Yak & Yeti
Beaches and Cream
Teppan Edo (2X)
Flying Fish
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Kouzzina
Hollywood Brown Derby
Garden Grill

We ate at the following QS restaurants:

WPE
Hurricane Hannas
Pecos Bill
Yakatori House (including on the last day that it was open)
Boulangerie
Sommerfest
Kringla Café
Earl of Sandwich
Sunshine Seasons
Boardwalk Bakery

We also enjoyed snacks at Fountainview, Seashore Sweets, Goofy’s, Karamel Kouche and many other venues! Plus, we enjoyed cocktails at the Crew’s Cup Lounge.

First up will be our arrival lunch at Yakatori and our dinner at Rose and Crown. I hate to start on a down note, but our first meals were not memorable in a good way. Rest assured, however, that the few misses were outweighed by many delicious dining experiences.

Best, Toni

Last edited by tortoni; 09-25-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: update
tortoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Really looking forward to your reviews as we are eating at most of the same places in just under two weeks! I am nervous to hear about your Rose & Crown dinnner with your note that your first day was bad. We love Rose & Crown and are eating there on our first night as well.
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

YAY! I am so excited to read all about it and drool over your photos!

We are eating at some of the same places you ate at on our upcoming trip..never been to Kouzzina and Rose & Crown before so I cannot wait for those!
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
tortoni
DIS Veteran

Test photo

Last edited by tortoni; 08-13-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: test 2
tortoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
tortoni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
Really looking forward to your reviews as we are eating at most of the same places in just under two weeks! I am nervous to hear about your Rose & Crown dinnner with your note that your first day was bad. We love Rose & Crown and are eating there on our first night as well.
Welcome! Thanks for joining in. I'll try to get this report done before you go. I am a firm believer that everyone has different views about what they like/don't like, so even if we were not thrilled with Rose and Crown, you may continue to love it. We certainly appreciated the wonderful view.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
tortoni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
YAY! I am so excited to read all about it and drool over your photos!

We are eating at some of the same places you ate at on our upcoming trip..never been to Kouzzina and Rose & Crown before so I cannot wait for those!
Hi Nicki, and thanks for joining in. I often read your reviews (love when you go live) so I am feeling a bit of pressure now since you are the review queen on the boards! Hope I can keep it interesting.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
tortoni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Count me in
Hi LInda, welcome. Hope to post a bunch of reviews today!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
tortoni
DIS Veteran

Yakatori House

We arrived at the BC around 2 and were whisked up to the Stone Harbor floor, a lovely upgrade! While we were checking in, DS and DD headed to the lounge and munched on the chocolate chip cookies and lemonade that were there every afternoon. Our room was not ready, and we were quite hungry since we left before breakfast and had not eaten (except for the lounge snacks). I had booked an ADR for Tutto, but none of us wanted to start the vacation with a hustle, so we asked the concierge to cancel this ADR and we set off on our own. DH suggested the ESPN Club. I’m sure he was thinking of a cool brew in a cool room with a tasty burger, but we had just arrived with dining credits and I had the “I don’t want to waste a TS credit on a hamburger” mentality, so we went with DS’s request—Yakatori. Should have gone with DH’s recommendation.

We started off with a walk over to Epcot, upgraded our two-day passes to DVC annual passes (yay, more trips) and headed straight for Japan. Now, this summer has been hot in the Northeast, but I was not prepared for the blazing sun under which we walked to Japan, especially not in my long pants and black shirt. DH was surely wondering why we were not in the air-conditioned ESPN Club. I know this because he was musing about it out loud. I announced that we would not be sitting outside on the patio, our usual spot, and would have to find an indoor table for Yakatori to work. As soon as we got there, a table opened and the kids claimed it.

Now, for a long time, Yakatori has been DS’s favorite. It is one of his 3 must-do’s foodwise. You may be wondering if he likes the chicken teriyaki or sushi, but no, he simply enjoys a large bowl of white rice! This goes back to his days when he would eat one food for a whole week to the exclusion of everything else. Once while we were at Disney, it was rice and so I guess the Yakatori rice holds a special place in his heart. In fact, he insists that the Yakatori rice is better than Lotus Blossum in China.

Well, sadly I did not take pictures here because we were so hungry and hot that I did not think of it. However, the real news is that we ate one of the last meals at Yakatori. Upon return another day, we saw that the area is completely blocked off and they had gutted the eatery! We were told that a completely new QS eatery will be there in November. This may be a good thing since DH and I did not enjoy the lunch. We split 3 QS meals, plus the bowl of rice. DD had the chicken teriyaki which she enjoyed. DH had the Shogun combo and he said the meat was very fatty. I had the Sushi Udon combo, which I did not like. I am lucky to have some very nice Japanese restaurants near my office that serve very good food. The Yakatori sushi tasted like supermarket fare and the udon did not have that great salty broth that I have come to expect. None of us had the cookies that came with dessert as we had already had a cookie in the club lounge. So no pictures, but you would not be going there anyway because it is closed.

Next up, Rose and Crown—with photos—as soon as my daughter wakes up and guides me through the posting process!

Also, I know some like to see the cost of the food to determine if the DDP is worth it so I have tried to keep track of this. We used 3 QS credits for a meal that would have cost $41 (rounded up) plus about $2 out of pocket for extra rice.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
Tinker12
Mouseketeer

I'm in!!
AKL Concierge Sept/Oct 2008, AKL Sept/Oct 2009, CBR Sept/Oct 2010 , POFQ March 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2012 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2013 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2014

Tinker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
tortoni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker12 View Post
I'm in!!
Hi Tinker, welcome.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
tortoni
DIS Veteran

test

/Users/jpbene/Pictures/PB Photos/iPhoto Library/Previews/2011/08/13/20110813-195625/IMG_1004.jpg
Old 08-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Can't wait to read your reviews, you ate at some of my favorite places!
Old 08-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #14
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Count me in, sounds like a super yummy lineup. Thats too bad Yakatori house wasn't that good, its one of my favs. I am sad it will be closed in Nov, but I will just hit up the Japan booth at the F&W fesitival instead
Old 08-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
tortoni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post
Can't wait to read your reviews, you ate at some of my favorite places!
Thanks for joining in-most of our meals were great!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: