Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

waterproof cast?

I broke my wrist on Friday and the ER splinted it. I am going to the orthopedic on Tuesday to get it looked at and I assume casted. Anyone ever get the waterproof cast done? Is it truly waterproof, like can I really shower without worrying about it getting wet? Anything else I should know about it? Also, any tips to get through the next 4-6 weeks with a broken wrist? it's my right wrist and I'm right handed (of course) so it's driving me nuts!
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon with DD
**Coming Up**8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon with DDGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
fortwildernessishome
DIS Veteran

My son had a waterproof cast and yes, it was really waterproof. he had it put on the day before we headed to Disney. He swam all week with the cast with no problems. What we were told though was the waterproof cast could slow the healing and that he may need it on longer than the traditional cast. He did have it on longer than expected, but who knows if it was the cast or that his bone was slow to heal.
fortwildernessishome is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepmom View Post
I broke my wrist on Friday and the ER splinted it. I am going to the orthopedic on Tuesday to get it looked at and I assume casted. Anyone ever get the waterproof cast done? Is it truly waterproof, like can I really shower without worrying about it getting wet? Anything else I should know about it? Also, any tips to get through the next 4-6 weeks with a broken wrist? it's my right wrist and I'm right handed (of course) so it's driving me nuts!
My son broke his elbow a few months ago. Because his cast was from his upper arm to his hand, they wouldnt give him a water proof cast. His ortho said that unless you have a straight cast, the water will just sit there and cause problems with his skin. so we were stuck with a regular cast..no baths for him for 5 weeks! I wish he could have the waterproof one!

We were also told that insurance will not cover a waterproof cast, so we would have to have paid the difference.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

we're supposed to go to Disney in a month too so I also don't want to worry about it getting wet there. staying at the Beach Club or the first time and really want to be able to use that pool!

I expect my health insurance won't cover it but I was in an accident and this will be billed to the driver's auto insurance(I think)if it's not covered by the auto insurance then I'd pay for it
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon with DD
**Coming Up**8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon with DDGoing Coast to Coast

Last edited by cepmom; 04-17-2011 at 09:18 AM.
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
mckryan
DIS Veteran

You can get one of these to protect the cast when you shower or are in the pool.
mckryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
mom2rb
DIS Veteran

My son had a water proof cast. It was great. I had to pay $20 extra, totally worth it.

7/80 offsite, 7/84 offsite, 10/96 honeymoon at CBR, 9/03 Contemporary Wing, 12/04 SSR & AKL, 4/05 OKW & CSR, 9/05 BWV & OKW, 12/06 CSR & SSR, 06/07 VWL & BCV, 09/07 AKV & BWV, 09/09 BLT & SSR, 05/10 BWV & BCV, AKL & BLT 02/13, 05/13 Pop Century Work Trip, Halloween @ SSR
mom2rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
Meriweather
Maybe we will have an arrival or two today
Time to share your chocolate!

Interested too......DD (adult) broke her wrist yesterday

Glad I can show her this thread so she might know some options when she gets her cast put on.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
Ferrante8
Earning My Ears

My son broke his wrist and the first 2 weeks he had to have a regular cast, for swelling and healing, but after a week of replacing it twice they put a water proof one on him. We have a pool and we also were heading out on vacation ! It was the best thing ever, he never had any issues with it at all.

CBR::: May 2009
CBR::: August 2010
Ferrante8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
3smithboys
DIS Veteran

My son had a waterproof cast last summer. It was the best! (He also broke his other arm 2 summers before and the break was so bad that he had to be casted in the ER where they do not do waterproof casts so we have had both to compare.) We had to cover that cast with one of the waterproof bags, and that was a PIA!

The one thing you do have to do after swimming with a waterproof cast is wash is off with clean water and then let it drain (by letting your arm hang at your side for a few minutes to get the water out.)
3smithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Ephany
DIS Veteran

Timely thread, DD8 broke her arm last night. They put a temporary cast on at the urgent care, but we'll still have to have a permanent one put on this week. A waterproof one does sound interesting, I'll definitely bring it up as an option when we see the orthopedist. Nothing was open by the time we got out of there except walmart, so now I need to find a child-sized sling, any suggestions on where to look?
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
monsterkitty
DIS Veteran

You can buy plastic covers at Walgreens that work very well for showering. I used one for 12 weeks and not once did my cast get wet.
monsterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #12
chabs
DIS Veteran

My DS broke both of his arms last year a week before Disney, so I can give you the scoop on waterproof casts. It it not the outside cover itself (like the different color casts that you see on people) that is waterproof-it is the INSIDE wrapping that is waterproof. Call ahead and make sure that your ortho has it in stock before you go because our ortho does not keep it in stock-we have to go upstairs to prosthetics to buy it. If they don't have it-ask where you can buy it and bring it in with you. It is not covered by insurance but it is very cheap-about $10 a roll. If the wrist is broken, you will probably only need one roll but if it's part of the forearm-you might need two rolls. They will wrap the waterproofing around the arm and then use the colored rolls to cover. It's the colored rolls that gets hard and hold the arm in place-the waterproofing is just the "stuffing".

They truly are waterproof-we did the Disney Cruise and Disney in August and swam all the time and he never had any problems.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

FYI, most of the time when insurance says that they won't pay for it; they mean that they won't pay the higher cost of it; normally they will still pay for whatever a regular cast would have cost, and the OOP cost is only the difference between them, which is normally somewhere between $20-100, depending on what size cast it is.

The "stuffing" as a PP put it, is made of Goretex foam for a waterproof cast.

Be aware that even a waterproof cast cannot just go to the beach, because while water is fine, sand isn't.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #14
RDunagan
Earning My Ears

Keeping your cast dry

You might want to check out the CastCooler at castcooler.com

Works with a cast to keep it dry. No need to have a waterproof cast at it works with any cast.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepmom View Post
RDunagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
linda0706
I lick the spoon & bowl when I make brownies or bake a cake
I do believe I'd have made up something...

My DD has had both the regular cast & the waterproof. LOVE LOVE LOVE the waterproof!

Even if you're not planning to swim, just being able to put her arm into a tub of water was such a feeling of relief for her. She said it felt fabulous when the arm got itchy to fill up the kitchen sink & swish her arm around in cool water. And it helped OH SO MUCH with the smell!!

We paid around $30 for the waterproof, insurance covered the rest.

Feb 2008 - POP
Feb 2006 - POP

Nov 2004 - CSR
Tons of day trips in 70's-90's when brothers & friends were cast members
Sept 30, 1971 (night before grand opening) when my dad's construction company got to go to soft opening. I was 6yo.
linda0706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: