Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
emma.rodz
Earning My Ears

Question Characters and Pictures

Ok. I have been wanting to know about this.. Are you allowed to ask the characters to pick you or someone up for a picture??
emma.rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
happytexasmom
Mouseketeer

I have read that they will not pick up anybody not even kids.....they will kneel down next to you though
but I am not 100% sure so maybe someone else will confirm
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
emma.rodz
Earning My Ears

Smile

Thanks for your input! I was just curious about the question.. I want more people to confirm this question..
Old 04-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
TallandGoofy
Mouseketeer

As a former trainer in DHS Entertainment, I can tell you that Characters are not supposed to pick anyone up. Also, as a close friend of Goofy, Beast and Jafar, I can also tell you that people will TRY to get characters to pick them up or even hold their babies but those requests will be politely declined. As pp said, the character should get down on a knee and invite the person/child to come down as well.
TallandGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
Brandilovesdisney
DIS Veteran

They are not permitted to pick anyone up - typically the character assistant will let you know that if you ask. It's too awkward in the costume and if something should go wrong, either the character or the person being lifted could get hurt (a lawsuit waiting to happen).

Disneyland 1983 (off property), Disneyworld 1992 (off property), Disneyworld 2003 (off property), ASMo September, 2010, POFQ November 2011, planning Disneymoon - May 2016 - Star Wars Weekends

"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths"
~Walt Disney~
Brandilovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
emma.rodz
Earning My Ears

Smile

Thank you both for replies! I just thought it was an interesting question because it would be the memory of a lifetime to say I got a picture of Mickey or Minney, etc.. picking me up!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
simba20
DIS Veteran

Chip & Dale picked up DD.

I don't know if the person in costume was really excited (they had just returned from break and we were the next family to meet them), but as Dale was signing DD's autograph book, Chip picked her up ans swung her around. DD was laughing. Also, Dale would not let us go without getting his kisses. I got it all on camera.

ETA: It wasn't something we asked, it was just Chip during his interaction with DD. What's funny, is that he was really swinging her around.[IMG][/IMG]
simba20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
DisneyJonesGirl
Disney Jones Girl

I actually understadn for liabilty reasons why cast memebers are'nt allowed to pick anybody up, thats for sure! BUT in the same breath i find the picture ADORABLE of chip swinging the little girl around she looks like she had a BLAST which is what Disney World is here for! lol!
DisneyJonesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
simba20
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJonesGirl View Post
I actually understadn for liabilty reasons why cast memebers are'nt allowed to pick anybody up, thats for sure! BUT in the same breath i find the picture ADORABLE of chip swinging the little girl around she looks like she had a BLAST which is what Disney World is here for! lol!
She did have a blast. In the past she's always been afraid of the characters (in costume). Last year when we went, she told us how she was going to be brave and gettheir autographs, but when it came to her turn in line, she'd turn shy and want us to hold her. This year was the first trip where she told us to let her do it by herself, and she would walk up to every character proudly and hand them her autograph book.

Now due to her fear int he past, I have warned her about what characters can be playful (esp, Chip & Dale), so this did not phase her at all. She walked away and exclaimed "Mommy, Daddy, Chip & Dale PLAYED with me." It was a great moment for her.

I will have to admit though, that when it first happened, I thought "WOAH!" but wasn't offended or worried at all, he had a tight grip on her, and she was laughing away.
simba20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters, pictures

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: