Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #1336
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

How I hate the stroller bashing people.

My son just turned five in April, but he is HUGE. Although of average weight, he is off the charts for height and is nearly as tall as his 10 year old sister. Though, to be fair, she's growth delayed by two years so is the size of an 8 year old. I got one gigantically tall child and one teeny tiny child. Go figure.

DS is also on the autism spectrum. He doesn't like to hold hands and has a heart-stopping tendency of running away from us, especially in crowded places. I keep a personal alarm buttoned in his pocket so that if he runs, I can hit a button I have on my end to set off the alarm so I can find him in the crowd. Yes, it's that bad.

Keeping him in the stroller is the only way to make sure he is safe. He is also just too young to walk on his feet all day for hours. Not to mention it would take us forever to get from place A to place B.

I wish people would take a moment to consider that they may not have all the facts before they start being judgmental. I see people giving us looks all the time. They think my son older than he is because of his appearance and wonder why I am "babying" him. Not to mention the stares we get when we use the handicap entrance on occasion because, after all, he looks "normal".

It's the only part about going away on vacation that I dread.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #1337
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Omg! That girl! Good for you for putting her in her place
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #1338
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Good for you giving "hair girl" a talking to about strollers. It's up to us, as parents, to decide when to stop taking a stroller....not a hair tossing close walker.
You go girl!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkyTinkyTinky View Post
Great pictures from Pirates too! You did a great did on that and Splash! I never get good pictures on Pirates. Never!

You cracked me up with the hair girl! You must have looked very friendly or smelled really good since everyone wanted to get so close to you! Imagine having to put up with that mess in July! UGH! I can't stand to be touched by sweaty person!

And I agree on the stroller. We used one when DD was 4 and 5. We are taking it with us this time, but we are going to try not to use it. She is 7 now and I think she can handle it. We'll see. Although, I have no problems pulling that thing out if I have to and I don't care what anyone thinks! I'd rather have to push a stroller around than have a tired, whiny child ruin a very expensive vacation for everyone.
I don't think I was smelling too good. It was hot and I had already waited in line for Splash for 40 minutes. So unless sweat smells good, that wan't the reason!
We didn't take the stroller on the cruise. I knew we would be fine there, but for the parks, I knew the walking and long days could be hard on all of us. My Dad seriously says he wants a scooter. He has no reason to get one, but he stil lsays he wants one.
I agree too, We pay a lot of our vacations. now I'm not going to be tha parent that says like it because we paid a lot, but I do want to try and get the most I can out of the money we spent...and for us that is trying to stay longer in the parks, and not having too many meltdowns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
You tell them, Lisa.

Great update, Jen, and great pics of POTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
How I hate the stroller bashing people.

My son just turned five in April, but he is HUGE. Although of average weight, he is off the charts for height and is nearly as tall as his 10 year old sister. Though, to be fair, she's growth delayed by two years so is the size of an 8 year old. I got one gigantically tall child and one teeny tiny child. Go figure.

DS is also on the autism spectrum. He doesn't like to hold hands and has a heart-stopping tendency of running away from us, especially in crowded places. I keep a personal alarm buttoned in his pocket so that if he runs, I can hit a button I have on my end to set off the alarm so I can find him in the crowd. Yes, it's that bad.

Keeping him in the stroller is the only way to make sure he is safe. He is also just too young to walk on his feet all day for hours. Not to mention it would take us forever to get from place A to place B.

I wish people would take a moment to consider that they may not have all the facts before they start being judgmental. I see people giving us looks all the time. They think my son older than he is because of his appearance and wonder why I am "babying" him. Not to mention the stares we get when we use the handicap entrance on occasion because, after all, he looks "normal".

It's the only part about going away on vacation that I dread.
My nephew is Autistic. He's extremely tall for his age too, though he is almost 14 now. He can't talk at all.. only sounds. He has silly sounding words that mean certain things, but a regular person would have no clue...like poo nah nah is ...horse. Sometimes he takes off though too and when you hollar for him, he stays quiet. He thinks he's funny, but it's not, as you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Omg! That girl! Good for you for putting her in her place
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #1339
Woth2982
DIS Veteran

Love the Splash Mountain photos! It is such a fun ride with great theming! Not a big fan of Pirates but I always go on it anyway lol. I HATE hoverers! People need to recognize the personal space factor! As for the stroller issue. Like you said it is a personal thing. We went 10 years ago with a 7 and 8 year old, and they both were in the stroller, and we were happy to have it to pile our stuff in so we didn't have to carry it lol. Their feet hurt so bad they couldn't keep up, so it helped a lot.
Woth2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #1340
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

I'm begining to wonder how my GDs will do in September. We won't have a stroller with us. The girls are 5 & 8 & walk all of the time. They have not used a stroller in some time.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #1341
bubba's mom
Proud Redhead
DIS Cast Member
The Tag Fairy knows you as more than just "Wife of Eric Roberts--XM Spy"

love the pirate & splash pix....classics that never seem to change ...which is good, cuz I don't get to Disney anymore...

bubba's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #1342
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woth2982 View Post
Love the Splash Mountain photos! It is such a fun ride with great theming! Not a big fan of Pirates but I always go on it anyway lol. I HATE hoverers! People need to recognize the personal space factor! As for the stroller issue. Like you said it is a personal thing. We went 10 years ago with a 7 and 8 year old, and they both were in the stroller, and we were happy to have it to pile our stuff in so we didn't have to carry it lol. Their feet hurt so bad they couldn't keep up, so it helped a lot.
Thanks. I hate people who get too close and I don't care for close talkers either. LOL! I had a teacher in high school, who was alos my cheerleading caoch who was one, and we all felt like we needed to take a stop back, but she would just take a step forward then. LOL! She was super nice though.
For us the stroller works. I know it's not for everyone. And Claire isn't by any means lazy. But long days take their toll on her. She requires a lot of sleep and is getting the minimum while we are at WDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
I'm begining to wonder how my GDs will do in September. We won't have a stroller with us. The girls are 5 & 8 & walk all of the time. They have not used a stroller in some time.
Well you can just go in with the thought that you may need to rent one on some days. For some it's not an issue at all. I leanred when I took my 2 older that kids just can't always hang with adults. My son could run circles around us all day. But Paige was almost 5 and almost 7 when I took her. And both times her feet would get so blistered by the end of the day and her legs just couldn't keep going. We actually had much shorter days back then too. We brought a different pair os shoes for each day for Paige, because we knew she had horrid feet (just like her momma), but even then she blistered. We did carry her out a few times and lets just say, Paige was a bit chunky back then.
Claire requires a LOT of sleep. It's nothing for her to sleep 10 hours a night. So with a trip like this, she is going on her absolute minimum. I would rather not deal with her crabbiness and enjoy ourselves longer. So if she wants to sit in the stroller between rides, then thats OK with me.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #1343
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba's mom View Post
love the pirate & splash pix....classics that never seem to change ...which is good, cuz I don't get to Disney anymore...

I think I really do like the classic better than most of the new rides. Certain ones I always try to ride every time, while with the new ones, I'll try, but I'm not waiting hjours for them.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #1344
mousetravel
DIS Veteran

I also can't stand people that get right up on you while standing in line. And I especially hate when the person behind me chomps and smacks on chewing gum!
Mom/Daughter Birthday Celebration! June 2012 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post45286013
Mom/Daughter Christmas TR! 2011http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2851142
Mom/Daughter PTR: Christmas Trip! 2011 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post42724982
Mom/Daughter Trip Report June 2011: Disney Dream! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2744972
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: Disney & Sea World 2010http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2443520
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: WDW & Disney Cruise 2009 ttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2095302
mousetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:25 AM   #1345
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Lol, love that you put hair girl in her place, what is it with people that have to stand so close to you!

Great update, loving the POTC pics
Stefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #1346
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
We exited and stopped to look at our picture. I tried to take the redneck version ,but a strong shadow was on each and everyone I took. Hereís about the best of themÖ.and you can see, I am totally ducked down.

Couldn't you have it added to your photopass card? we did that for test track. I don't think I looked at the pictures from other rides, so maybe it's not available for all rides.

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Daddy_of_Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #1347
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousetravel View Post
I also can't stand people that get right up on you while standing in line. And I especially hate when the person behind me chomps and smacks on chewing gum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
Lol, love that you put hair girl in her place, what is it with people that have to stand so close to you!

Great update, loving the POTC pics
I think if she wasn't up on my back the whole time, I would've probably never said anything...and then I might not've even heard her.....but at that point, it was getting annoying brushing her hair off my shoulders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_of_Princesses View Post
Couldn't you have it added to your photopass card? we did that for test track. I don't think I looked at the pictures from other rides, so maybe it's not available for all rides.

Test track is the only ride that does that. Al lthe others you have to buy it or go the redneck way!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #1348
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

We LOVED the ride. Claire wanted to ride again! I told her we would come back later. We decided to head over towards Space Mountain again. Of course I took a few pictures on the way out.

We then decided instead of heading to Space we would stop off at the Castle and check if we could 1. Add Dad to our ADR and 2. get in earlier. I have a great Dis friend, Keri. We talk on facebook all the time. Her DD, Natasha, was working at CRT at the time. Keri said that Natasha was pretty sure we could get in earlier than our 9:30 appointment. And it shouldnít be any problem to add my Dad as well.
Claire and I went up to the desk and did some name dropping. LOL! We let them know that Natasha had said to come early and check to see if both those options were available. They told us that there would be no problem what so ever to add DadÖand to check back after our BBB appointment to see if we could get in earlier. I then made a call over to Mom and Dad and let them know what was up. They were close to being done at AK and were going to head over soon.

We decided to head over and see if Tiana was out. She was due out soon, so we got in a fairly short line and waited. We had walked by the Dole Whip stand, and I asked Claire if she wanted to share one with me. I have YET to ever try one. She looked at the line and said no way. LOL!
Of course I took some pictures to pass the time while we waited.

Soon we saw the Princess and her Man approach the area.

Finally it was our turn. I think we waited about 15-20 minutes total, so it really wasnít too bad.

Iíll post photopass first because I have those loaded already.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #1349
kmrein
Mouseketeer

Ok, my dh and I don't have children of our own yet, but I hereby promise NEVER to judge any other family's stroller decisions! I kind of know how annoying that must be, because mother is ill with bad arthritis and other health issues and she often gets the dirtiest looks in her (rented) wheelchair in situations like Disney, especially getting in and out to go on rides because she often appears more mobile than she is.

Your pirates pictures made my day a much better one. Thanks!

1989-first trip (off-site); 1997/2011-Port Orleans FQ
2004/05/07/08/10/13-Fort Wilderness Campground
2010-Polynesian Resort

2012-Disneyland (Grand Californian/Paradise Pier)
2014-Art of Animation/Fort Wilderness split stay
kmrein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #1350
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Jen, you're my hero!

Anyone who puts a hair tossing stroller basher in their place deserves my praise! The stroller threads here on the DIS just kill me. One of the posters on the photography forum said she rented a stroller for her heavy bag of gear and I wondered what all the stroller bashers would think. I actually think there's a fair number of posters who wish Disney would just go stroller free so they could get around easier. If I'm not mistaken, I think someone on one of those posts wanted DISNEY to have a adults only Halloween party (you know, because all those dang strollers detracted from their own experience). That was classic!

LOVE the Captain Jack photo!
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: