Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
disneymomma01
Mouseketeer

A WDW Dream Vacation in the Making for Katelyn PTR

Hi everyone!! We will start this PTR off with a little info about my wonderful family!! My name is Carrie & my husband's name is Chris...I am a homeschooling mommy to very cute & adorable Katelyn & trying to get a photography business up & running. My husband works in security for a local medical school, but is a very successful magician for kids & family events Katelyn made her grand appearance into this world 10 years ago with pomp & circumstance. I had a normal pregnancy and what appeared to be a healthy baby girl. So when she was born with a weird jelly sac on her back, we weren't alarmed. Even the OB wsn't alarmed. It was when the pediatrician came in that the world stopped.

We were told that Katelyn had a birth defect called Spina Bifida. Basically that means that a portion of her spinal cord grew outside & was covered by a thin jelly sac. We were told that she would never walk, and that she would always have issues with bathroom stuff. As new parents, my husband & I were devistated. How could this be? Katelyn was transferred to a nearby children's hospital, where she underwent surgery to repair the lesion. A few weeks later she was readmitted to place a shunt to drain off excess fluid & keep the pressure off of her developing brain. She has also had surgeries on her hips & on her ankle.

But let me tell you about her. Katelyn is a joy to everyone she meets. She plays tennis, she rides horses, & she walks...yes...she walks. She uses fore arm crutches & KAFO's (log leggedd braces to give her more support) but she has taken it upon herself to prove those doctors wrong. She is very funny...always ready with a joke to make us laugh. And is so caring & loving & gentle. We are so proud of her.

We just found out last week that her dream to go to WDW was granted by the Dream Factory. We are so excited. We don't have a definate date yet, but we are shooting for the 1st week in October. Katelyn is on medication that doesn't agree with heat, so summer trips are out for us. We are very anxious to get our trip planned so we can discover all of the magic that Disney & GTKTW has to offer us!!

Thanks for reading about my little family. We are a little family ready for some BIG fun in Disney!!

Pre-trip report:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2701134
disneymomma01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
mom2pixies
DIS Veteran

A big welcome to the boards, Carrie and Chris and Katelyn!!!

Sounds like Katelyn is proving everyone wrong! So glad she is getting her wish. I'm hearing good things about October, and if we get our choice, I think that's when we'd pick to go, too!

I'm sure you'll find these boards very helpful in planning your trip! I look forward to reading more about your family and your Dream Factory wish!
mom2pixies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
brookerene
DIS Veteran

Welcome..... glad you are here... I do photography from home too... Love it...
Old 04-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
billwendy
DIS Veteran

WELCOME!!!!! Cant wait to hear more about your family and your trip!! Tell me more about the Dream trip!!!!

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
maroo
DIS Veteran

Welcome!!!

I have added your wish trip to the Wish Trippers Unite thread! So hopefully you will get some people popping over to say hello!

AWESOME that Katelyn is walking!! That is fantastic! You go, Katelyn, Go!!!!

I don't know that I know any kids with Spina Bifida that are walking?!? That is really cool!
maroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
teresajoy
World's Proudest Aunt!
There is no such thing as too young or too old for Disney World!
Thinks glow in the dark ricrak is cool

!!!! I hope you can post some pictures of your wonderful family!
teresajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
disneymomma01
Mouseketeer

A big thanks to everyone

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!! You guys are FABULOUS!!!

We are so excited There are so many fabulous things to do in WDW & GTKTW I don't know how we will find the time!! LOL!!

As soon as I hit that 10th post (I should be close) I will post some pics of my family & hopefully I will have a date this week!! WOO HOO!!

Pre-trip report:
Old 04-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
AmyK2003
Earning My Ears

Carrie, your family's story is really touching and I actually started crying at work when I read it. I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing more about your trip planning. I'm taking my son (6) for his first trip right around that same time.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
disneymomma01
Mouseketeer

Pics added

This is my family...Chris, Carrie, & of course the diva Katelyn

My Dream kiddo and forever Princess, Katelyn

Another picture of Katelyn

Pre-trip report:
Old 04-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
mom2pixies
DIS Veteran

Fab photos--love the one of Katelyn in the hat! She is DIVA!!! Reminds me of a young Sophia Loren or another 1940s silver-screen star. Love it!
mom2pixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
DisneyTravelers2008
Sally & Clay (Disney Travelers 2008)

Your daughter sounds like an amazing you lady! I hope your trip plans go smoothly and it turns out to be a great trip!! Keep us posted!!!

Spring Break 1988/ Spring Break 1993/Ft Wilderness Cabins 2008 /SSR, 1st DVC Member Trip/2009
OKW, Spring Break 2009/SSR June 2009/AKL January 2010/AKL & BLT Halloween 2010 /Spring Break 2011 - Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort/June 2011 - & BLT & BW /AKL, Spring Break 2012 / Disney Dream Jan. 2014
DisneyTravelers2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #12
disneymomma01
Mouseketeer

Thanks again for the wonderful welcomes!!

I have been playing a serious game of phone tag with the lady who helps us plan our trip this week. So we are still waiting on our dates!! And to top it all off...my hubby has applied for a new job, and we are not sure how long until his vacation benefits will kick in...Halloween may become Christmas!! LOL!!

But we are planning away!! Deciding what to do, who to see, & what to ride!!

So far Katelyn's must do list is

Haunted Mansion
Tower of Terror (not on my top list)
The Mad Hatter's Tea Cups
and the BIG maybe
Rockin' ROller Coaster...she wants to ride, but is kinds leary!! She LOVES Steven Tyler...

And we want to do a character dining, just not sure which one, but leaning towards Chef Mickey. Much more to add, this is her beginning list!!

Pre-trip report:
Old 04-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Not sure how I missed your precious family's story; but, wanted to say
blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
disneymomma01
Mouseketeer

A little update

So we survived the Holy Week & Easter services!! Hope you all had a very blessed Easter!!

A friend of Katelyn's bought her a planning book for her upcoming Dream Trip!! So I got her some post it flags so she could flag the definates...the maybe's...and the (as she calls them) not in this lifetime's!! LOL!! (Snow White is a not in this lifetime) LOL!!

I am again engaged in a game of phone tag with our planner, but we are busily trying to decide what all we MUST see on our trip!! I am enjoying reading all of the trip reports! It is so exciting!! Katelyn has a countdown on her laptop that is counting down the days...I think today was 158 days!! She thinks it sounds like an eternity...okay...so do I!!

Thanks for all of the support & any advice you guys have will be greatly appreciated!! Hopefully I can make some time here soon to join in on the conversations!! Only another couple of weeks of school for me & I am taking the summer off!! YAY!!

Thanks for keeping up with my family!! I am so lucky to have found you all!!

Pre-trip report:
Old 04-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #15
shruley
Mouseketeer

The days will go by fast I bet, and October will be here soon! I kind of wish we had a few more days to plan!! Loved reading about your family!
2005- Polynesian
2002- POFQ & AKL
shruley is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: