Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Minuet888
DIS Veteran

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad CLOSED

According to Screamscape Big Thunder is going under a major surprise refurb with a complete re-tracking of the ride and everything. This is supposed to start May 31st with an undtermined re-opening date but cast members say the refurb could take from 9 months to a full year.
Here is the stuff from the website:

2012/2013 - Major Attraction Rehab / Big Thunder Mt. - Rumor & Speculation - (4/13/11) I’ve got a small update to the Disneyland Rehab schedule, which has a very interesting addition. Big Thunder is listed to close down starting May 31st and is listed as remaingly closed through to the end of the posted schedule, up to June 7th, with no reopening date. So I’ve got to wonder… along with everyone else, but is this the start of the big rumored rehab?
(3/29/11) A reader went by the park the other day and discovered the queue at Big Thunder Mountain to have been changed to use a strange new route. Upon asking the CMs about this, they were told that the changes were experiments to help plan out a possible future change to the queue. They also asked about the rumored re-tracking of the ride itself which was actually confirmed. They reported that Big Thunder would be closed between 9 to 12 months to perform the rehab, which would see it shut down for most (if not all) of 2012.
Minuet888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuet888 View Post
According to Screamscape Big Thunder is going under a major surprise refurb with a complete re-tracking of the ride and everything. This is supposed to start May 31st with an undtermined re-opening date but cast members say the refurb could take from 9 months to a full year.
Here is the stuff from the website:

2012/2013 - Major Attraction Rehab / Big Thunder Mt. - Rumor & Speculation - (4/13/11) I’ve got a small update to the Disneyland Rehab schedule, which has a very interesting addition. Big Thunder is listed to close down starting May 31st and is listed as remaingly closed through to the end of the posted schedule, up to June 7th, with no reopening date. So I’ve got to wonder… along with everyone else, but is this the start of the big rumored rehab?
(3/29/11) A reader went by the park the other day and discovered the queue at Big Thunder Mountain to have been changed to use a strange new route. Upon asking the CMs about this, they were told that the changes were experiments to help plan out a possible future change to the queue. They also asked about the rumored re-tracking of the ride itself which was actually confirmed. They reported that Big Thunder would be closed between 9 to 12 months to perform the rehab, which would see it shut down for most (if not all) of 2012.
Um, I'm confused. That article says it might be closed for much of 2012. We're not even halfway into 2011. Are they saying that the long rehab is supposed to happen next year?

Also, regarding the "strange new route", last time I was there last month, they changed where the FP people mix in with the regular line. When I went most recently, they let the FP people basically hop into the regular line right at the turnstile instead of where they used to mix, which was farther back in line. I quite liked it, since it meant an even shorter wait for me. I'm not sure what other "configurations" they are trying.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
blabbermouth
DIS Veteran

Aww, I'll be sad if I have to miss it on my August trip! But yes, with the contradictory information, it's hard to know how much to believe.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
sandysue
Mouseketeer

We'll be sure to hit this ride on the 1st day of our visit 5/30, which is the last day it's open for the rest of our trip... and possibly a long long time.

Upcoming:
Aulani 3/16-18 2015

Completed:
DLR 5/29-6/6 2014 GCH, DLR May 2011 GCH (children & DH’s 1st visit), Aug 1989 (Day Trip), May 1985 (Grad Night), Jan 1977 (1st visit age 10)
sandysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

There has been a rumor that BTMRR will get a major rehab for over a year which likely spurred this speculation.

But if you think this is the start of said rumor, you're are 95% wrong.

Disney doesn't start major rehabs at the start of summer. It starts them in the beginning of fall or after Christmas.

For recent examples of this look at. Mullholland Madness that is going to reopen as Goofy's SKy School. Splash Mountain. ROA rethem that happens a couple years ago. The Disndayland Hotel. Golden Dreams to Little Mermaid, it was a little odd though because while it closed in fall it wasn't torn down until Spring.

Here's one example of an attraction that close during summer. Planned to take ten months. Star Tour closed late July after the core of summer visitation so it could open in time for this summer.

You just don't give up most of your business when you have the choice to lessen the hit you will take.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Rumor has it that it will actually reopen on June 9. I guess we will find out in a few days when the calendar goes that far. My DD (5) is in the minority, but she will be thrilled if Big Thunder is closed when we are there. She has refused to ride on our last DL and WDW trips (which we finally discovered is because it has the word Thunder in the name We have now tried to explain there is no actual thunder). She grudgingly promised that on our next DL trip she would try it and not chicken out. She will be jumping for joy if it is closed and she doesn't have to make good on her promise. It would be just my luck if I can't hold her to it. Sorry for everyone else though.
ktlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
DreamtheImpossible
Mouseketeer

I certainly hope not. Big Thunder is one of my favorite Disneyland rides and if it's closed for nearly a year, I'll be pretty bummed when I make our trip in October. (We only get to go once a year if we're lucky!)

It seems sketchy though, closing a ride right before summer.
DreamtheImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
Minuet888
DIS Veteran

I admit some of it is a rumor BUT Disney has pulled surprise rehabs before and I thought I would just put it out there as apparently it is official that is will close on May 30th (this from a castmember) the re-opening date is what is in question. Maybe this is a short closure in order to get information (measurements whatever) for the major closure/rehab?
Minuet888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:52 AM   #9
MrsJackSparrow4Life
DIS Veteran

9-12 months doesn't sound so bad when you compare it to the 2 years Space Mountain was down to put in a new track.
MrsJackSparrow4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:10 AM   #10
Mouse13
DIS Veteran

According to the schedule posted at Disneyland.com, BTMRR will reopen on Friday, June 10.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
wdwtheplacetobe
A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse13 View Post
According to the schedule posted at Disneyland.com, BTMRR will reopen on Friday, June 10.
Good News! That is our last day!
Married 10/10/07 at 10:10am in Disney's Wedding Pavilion!

wdwtheplacetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #12
Gisele
I love honey, but not the sting of bee's
Please do not forget to mail me my chocolate caramel apple before y'all leave

Now that is good news, regarding its re-opening. And that many people will not be missing out on it after all.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
abbie13_15
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse13 View Post
Thanks for checking into that. Here is the link if you want to see it for yourself. http://disneyland.disney.go.com/cale...ult/2011/06/09. (It's at the bottom) On the 10th it is no longer posted. Great because this is when we arrive...hoping it is on time.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #14
jacs1234
DIS Veteran

It's one of our favourite rides so I'm really glad it should be open in Nov/Dec.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #15
frijolefrito
Mouseketeer

I have an august trip too they better not do this to me
frijolefrito is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: