Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
BlakeNJ
DIS Veteran

Tipping 101 please

I know there will be varying opinions of when/how to tip but I really need a quick 101. I have seen not mention of tipping in any of my documents--well online reservation. I only have whatever info I have found here. Some pay their tips ahead of time, others charge to their room etc. how much is it per day, per person. Is their a child price vs. adult? Is it easier to make the envelopes at home and put the exact amount in before leaving home? Help please..
Old 10-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

It comes to $12/day per pax regardless of age. You will receive envelopes and coupons aboard.

From DCL site; https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/p...es/gratuities/

Onboard Services
Q:
What about gratuities?
A:

It is customary to give gratuities in recognition of service, which you will be treated to in abundance aboard the ship. As a guideline, we suggest the following, but gratuities are always at your discretion:
Per Guest per cruise 3-Night 4-Night 7-Night
Dining Room Server $12.00 $16.00 $28.00
Dining Room Asst. Server $9.00 $12.00 $21.00
Dining Room Head Server $3.00 $4.00 $7.00
Stateroom Host/
Hostess $12.00 $16.00 $28.00
Dining Manager Your Discretion
Room Service Your Discretion
Palo Your Discretion
Remy Your Discretion
Senses Spa & Salon An 18% gratuity will automatically be applied to all spa services.
Vista Spa & Salon An 18% gratuity will automatically be applied to all spa services.
Babysitting Gratuity not expected
Port Adventures Optional; not included in port adventure price.

You can choose to pre-pay gratuities for your party up to three days before your vacation begins by contacting Disney Cruise Line; or, for the convenience of our Guests who have not pre-paid, the suggested gratuity amounts will be added to your onboard account, based on the length of your voyage as shown in the table above.

If you wish to modify or make changes to the gratuity amounts or would like to pay in cash, please stop by our Guest Services desk, located on Deck 3, Mid-ship, at anytime during your sailing.

Please note, a 15% gratuity is automatically added to bar, beverage, wine and deck service tabs. All gratuities can be charged to your room charge. (At the Walt Disney World Resort, 15% is the customary gratuity at restaurants and bars.)
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Online look for "Gratuities" -- NOT tip, tips or tipping.

We find its easiest for us to put them on our room account (this happens automatically now). I have to get back into line to adjust the amounts of the gratuities because everyone has been that great!!

There is not a difference in the amount tipped based on age of the guest - everyone tips.

The basic / standard gratuity is $12 per guest per night. This amount is divided between the 4 tipped positions: Head Server (manager type), Server (food), Assistant Server (beverage - water/soda/smoothies/adult beverages) and your Room Steward.

For "budgeting" purposes, stick with the standard gratuity and here are some examples...
4 guests, 4 nights is $192 (4g X 4n X $12)
4 guests, 7 nights is $336 (4g X 7n X $12)
3 guests, 5 nights is $180 (3g X 5n X $12)
3 guests, 3 nights is $108 (3g X 3n X $12)

Hope this helps.

You are provided with envelops and "gratuity slips" that go into the envelope that you give to the crew members. If you bring cash you can easily add it to the envelope, or you can go to guest services and adjust the standard gratuities (up or down) as you see fit.

It can seem like a lot of money - but remember it is for 3 meals per day (even though you probably won't have your serving team at breakfast and lunch). If all guests tip appropriately, all crew are properly compensated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: