Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
editz
Earning My Ears

Homophobic Arizona

Hi, I'm moving to Arizona for a year to go to University.

Was wondering what are your experiences around phoenix etc.

I know its not Texas / Louisiana etc but its still a Southern State.

Thanks
editz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
MAF
DIS Veteran

So you're labeling everyone who resides in a "southern state" as being homophobic. Nice...
MAF is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Few Arizona residents were actually born here. The population boomed after the invention of air conditioning. So basically people are a conglomerate of all the other states, and several nations. It's not nearly as conservative as a few northern states I could mention. The cosmopolitan atmosphere at the universities is more liberal than you think.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

Arizona is NOT in the south, we are in the southwest. Big difference. There are homophobes in every state, just as there are people who don't give a rats butt if you are green with orange stripes.

Where are you going to school? Do some research on the town in which you will be living, I am sure you will like it here.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:06 AM   #5
Singledad
DIS Veteran

sorry about the venom you have already experienced, I understand it was an honest question.

I have quite a few friends in AZ and they all say it is on the whole a very open minded area, esp. the phoenix area.

There is even a community center: http://1vcc.org/

I would contact them for more information about the area.

p.s. I've actually had the 'worse' experience with homophobia in a small town in IL (between Chicago and Milwaukee), than I have had visiting Texas. So seriously, it is all about people not sterotypes. Which I am sure you know already.

PTR June 2011 TR June 2011 Dis Dad's club member #594
Singledad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
editz
Earning My Ears

Sorry for my silly stereotyping .... but I'm sure you can appreciate some do have a reputation!

I will be living around phoenix, so by saying its open minded is encouraging.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
MAF
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singledad View Post
p.s. I've actually had the 'worse' experience with homophobia in a small town in IL (between Chicago and Milwaukee), than I have had visiting Texas.
Where? I live in central IL and haven't seen anything like that.
MAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
Singledad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAF View Post
Where? I live in central IL and haven't seen anything like that.
NE IL. Zion, IL in fact.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #9
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

Quote:
Originally Posted by editz View Post
Sorry for my silly stereotyping .... but I'm sure you can appreciate some do have a reputation!

I will be living around phoenix, so by saying its open minded is encouraging.
I live in Phoenix (moved here 6 years ago), and it's a lovely city (fifth largest in the U.S.). There are a lot of "family" here, and I'm not afraid to be who I am. Still a bit of a shock to see people walking around with sidearms, though.

Arizona is weird and very regional. People from Phoenix don't like people from Tucson (Tucsonians are whiny and don't get the whole "one person, one vote" thing). People from Tucson don't like people from Phoenix ("they get their way because their city is bigger, that's not fair! Just because no one wants to live in dirty, ugly Tucson!"). People from Flagstaff are stinky and unkempt (maybe that's just the university students... ).

The state is overrun with snowbirds during the winter (old people who move south for the winter), and they are pretty much universally despised as poor drivers (bumper sticker: "So many snowbirds, so little morgue refrigerator space"). Actually, the state is overrun with old people in general, which is why our politics is so whack-jobish (bitter angry selfish "I got mine" old people + entire communities solely of 'rose-colored glasses' people == teabag central).

The climate is incredibly variable. Phoenix (central AZ) is Low Desert, which is green and lush. Tucson (southern AZ) is High Desert, which is brown, dirty , dusty, and ugly (Las Vegas is also High Desert, for comparison). The northern part of the state is temperate and receives quite a bit of snow, but also has lovely summers. The eastern part of the state is mountainous and very pretty (snow, also). From Phoenix, you can get to any of these different climates in less than 2 hours.

tl;dr—Lovely state, glad I moved here, quirky people, relatively affordable.
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #10
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

Holy Pug! What a perfect description of AZ!!!! In another week or so the population will be cut in half and we can blame only our own selves for the poor driving. I always blame the heat, dry that it is. I have been here almost 3 years this tour and almost 9 the last time, I LOVE it here, guns and all.

Welcome to the DIS Furb and Dez.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
wcpamotm
It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Oh come on, Furb & Dez, no need to hold back... Tell us how you really
feel about Tucson!

[2014] June - Port Orleans ???? | May - Grand Floridan Villas 1429 [2013] Dec - Wilderness Lodge Villas 4535 | Aug - Saratoga Springs 8836 | June - Wilderness Lodge Villas 4543 | May - Beach Club Villas 269 [2012] May - Animal Kingdom Villas 5428 [2011] Dec - Boardwalk Villas 4064 | Jun - Royal Plaza 306 [2010] Dec - Old Key West 3836 | Aug - Bay Lake Tower 8237 [2009] Dec - Wilderness Lodge Villas 1556 | Apr - Yacht Club 4057 [2007] Dec - Caribbean Beach 1231 [2004] May - Pop Century 6403 [2003] May - Coronado Springs 3492 [2002] Dec - Fort Wilderness Cabins 2203 | May - Boardwalk Inn 2266 [2001] Dec - Wilderness Lodge 5111 & Yacht Club 2061| May - Animal Kingdom Lodge 5136 [2000] Dec - Dixie Landings 1857 | May - Coronado Springs 7621 [1999] Dec - Wilderness Lodge 3023 | May - Beach Club 3584 | Mar - Caribbean Beach 4343 [1998] Nov - Port Orleans 3331 | Jun - Polynesian [1997] Dec - Dixie Landings 8420 | Jun - offsite [1994] Mar - Port Orleans 4301 [1992] Nov - offsite [1989] Apr - Caribbean Beach 1344 [72,73,75,76,82] stayed w/family ... and a few other times when I was in town doing something else ...
wcpamotm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
editz
Earning My Ears

Another thing I'm apprehensive about is, I come from London - and we have a large gay 'scene' lots of gay clubs, bars - nightlife etc.

What is this like in Phoenix?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
Singledad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by editz View Post
Another thing I'm apprehensive about is, I come from London - and we have a large gay 'scene' lots of gay clubs, bars - nightlife etc.

What is this like in Phoenix?

Thanks
that link I provided is for the phoenix gay center, I'd contact them for more about the local scene. (I am sure they have an email)

Old 04-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcpamotm View Post
Oh come on, Furb & Dez, no need to hold back... Tell us how you really feel about Tucson!
I'm ever so coy, aren't I?
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: