Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reservations
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #3346
McKelly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonzerosum View Post
When we attended the Wishes Dessert Party we had a great table and were really happy with our view.....that is until everybody got up and stood at the railings blocking our great view. People started claiming their railing spots about 20 minutes before Wishes started. By the time we realized that they weren't going to return to their seats, we were stuck with a spot by the garbage can (actually my son had to sit on the garbage can so he could see-eeww). So much for our great seats. To me this just seemed like a toned down version of what happens when you are not part of the Wishes Party. Is this usual practice at the party, or was this just a one off at the party we happened to attend?
No, it happened at the party we went to as well. And there was a woman who went CRAZY when people stood in front of her "great table." Seriously, I was afraid. We had a fairly good table with a good view as well, but I already knew people were going to be standing up along the rails from reading the DIS. So when our view was eventually blocked, we got up and found a spot near the railing as well.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #3347
MickeyP
DIS Veteran

This is exactly what happens! We had the greatest table ever and then people got up to try to watch the electrical parade. Which we could not see anything from our seats. LUCKILY, (and I can't believe I'm saying this) it started raining and nobody wanted to be by the rail because it's not covered. Thank goodness because I (like everyone else HERE) tries diligently to get a GREAT table.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #3348
ksromack
DIS Veteran

This makes me think we are better off NOT going to the Dessert Party! I am short and hubby doesn't have a ton of patience with rude people. I understand that all of the tables cannot see the fireworks but is there enough room for everyone inside to stand at the rails to see them? I guess you go there for the wonderful desserts and not necessarily to see the fireworks?

Can you see the MSEP from the train station at the end of Main Street? Maybe we should just plan on doing that. I'd like to be able to see both the MSEP and Wishes without having to move around too much (I think there isn't much room to move around anyway)
Old 09-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #3349
McKelly
DIS Veteran

I remember the crazy lady tried pushing her table against the railing wall to secure her spot, but the CM's made her push it back. Well, that just set her off again...

I mean, I get why she was mad, my view was blocked too, but there were children around (obviously)! My kids could focus on nothing but the screaming lady.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #3350
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksromack View Post
This makes me think we are better off NOT going to the Dessert Party! I am short and hubby doesn't have a ton of patience with rude people. I understand that all of the tables cannot see the fireworks but is there enough room for everyone inside to stand at the rails to see them? I guess you go there for the wonderful desserts and not necessarily to see the fireworks?

Can you see the MSEP from the train station at the end of Main Street? Maybe we should just plan on doing that. I'd like to be able to see both the MSEP and Wishes without having to move around too much (I think there isn't much room to move around anyway)
I have reservations too about what might unfold with people coming to the rail and blocking our view if we have a table upfront but being older I know DH & I will not be able to stand to watch like we use to. Last time we actually saw the Fireworks in MK was back in 1997 and this my be our last chance so I will be praying for rain so anyone at the railing infront of me gets drowned

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 09-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #3351
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
I have reservations too about what might unfold with people coming to the rail and blocking our view if we have a table upfront but being older I know DH & I will not be able to stand to watch like we use to. Last time we actually saw the Fireworks in MK was back in 1997 and this my be our last chance so I will be praying for rain so anyone at the railing infront of me gets drowned
Every time I've gone to the party (4 times and another coming up in Oct) people have stood at the rail but it has been very orderly ... no screaming ladies! The CMs have actually told people to stand at the rail. There hasn't been any pushing and elbowing like there is if you're standing in front of the castle.

Shelia maybe you and DH could remain seated until the fireworks start and then just stand up at your table but then if you needed you'd be able to sit back down.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #3352
WDW1971
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonzerosum View Post
When we attended the Wishes Dessert Party we had a great table and were really happy with our view.....that is until everybody got up and stood at the railings blocking our great view. People started claiming their railing spots about 20 minutes before Wishes started. By the time we realized that they weren't going to return to their seats, we were stuck with a spot by the garbage can (actually my son had to sit on the garbage can so he could see-eeww). So much for our great seats. To me this just seemed like a toned down version of what happens when you are not part of the Wishes Party. Is this usual practice at the party, or was this just a one off at the party we happened to attend?
Huh. I don't remember that happening to us personally, but looking back, a lot of people probably did go to the front rail. We had a front row table, but maybe it was, in theory, the 5th or 6th best table, because it was closer to the entrance and a bit less on center to the castle. In practice, maybe that was a better table because people did not come to stand in front of us. We sat comfortably through the entire thing.

I remember looking around early on, and thinking that some of the tables weren't in good spots at all--too far back under cover to see the fireworks clearly. Later, I looked back during the fireworks and noticed that most of the tables in the back were empty.

So, yeah, the set up pretty much makes it inevitable that people will stand in front for the show. I would have come to the front too, if I were in the back row.

Oh, and bottom line, you're mostly looking up anyway. In any other decent viewing spot you will also be surrounded by a much larger crowd of standing people, and you'll need to sit or stand on pavement for 10 - 15 minutes to save that spot. I'd always choose the Dessert Party.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #3353
ILoveMMouse
Earning My Ears

Standing at the railing is what is supposed to happen at the party, and is why people do it. If you look at the description of the party at Disneyworld.com, it says that the fireworks viewing is "standing only".
Old 09-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #3354
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!

Well we usually secure a pretty decent spot on the sidewalk in front of the icecream shop, but we're trying the dessert party this year. I hope we don't regret it.....even if it doesn't turn out great and we don't see a lot of the fireworks, we'll still see HallowWishes later in the week

Old 09-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #3355
bizeemom4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMMouse View Post
Standing at the railing is what is supposed to happen at the party, and is why people do it. If you look at the description of the party at Disneyworld.com, it says that the fireworks viewing is "standing only".
Agreed! I don't understand the fuss about people standing up at the railing to see the fireworks instead of sitting under a roof where the view is obstructed. That's just silly. I've been to two parties and both times, everyone that wanted to had plenty of space to stand up and see. The terrace is big enough for everyone. Your table and chairs are for enjoying the desserts not the fireworks.

My fourth and fifth trips as a Disney TA coming up soon!

Old 09-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #3356
nonzerosum
DIS Veteran

We also had a guy freaking out about people blocking his primo table view. It's probably a case of being prepared ahead of time so there is less room for disappointment in the moment. We would like to do the party again, but I will put less emphasis on stressing over getting a good table. I do feel sorry for people for whom standing is not a comfortable option.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #3357
Hedley
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMMouse View Post
By "standing only" they mean you cannot drag your chairs to the railing. I've been there a couple of times, and have seen people take their chairs to the railing only to have the CMs tell them to take them back to their tables.

If you're fortunate to have a table up front, the people standing at the railing shouldn't obstruct views of the fireworks. Now if they stand right in front of your table, that's a different story, so just stand up by your table if that's the case.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #3358
dfin
Earning My Ears

How soon after the fireworks do you have to leave, how long do they serve the desserts? I was hoping to space myself.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #3359
maganda
Mrs. Mike Wazowski

I don't remember when they told us it was last call; the CMs went around and told each table individually. We had ample time to eat before and during the show.

I do recall that I asked how long we could stay and the CM said we could sit for as long as we like. The food was long gone but it was so nice to sit and enjoy the quiet and space. We could see the tops of MSEP.
Star Wars Weekend
Dumbo Double Dare at Disneyland (19.3)
2014 adventures:
Marathon Weekend (26.2)
Rock Your Disney Side 24 hour day
Wine & Dine Half Marathon
Old 09-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #3360
rt2dz
DIS Veteran

I was there with my oldest in May and we did this as a special treat. Repeating with the whole family in October because we enjoyed it so much. We had a front row table and while people did stand at the rail, where our table was (right at the bend) we were able to watch without moving, or having our view blocked. It was great because we were drop dead tired! I honestly think it was the best seat in the whole place. I'm hoping to have the same table because of it.

Tags
adr, dessert, party, tomorrowland, wishes

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: