Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
One_Song
DIS Veteran

Wishes 10/8/11 WP/GF-- Love's First Kiss-- Trip Report Complete

****Jump to Trip Report****
Jump to Vendor Reviews & Glad I Did/Wish I Had

Hello everyone!
As I have a little extra time on my hands this month, I’ve decided to start a planning journal. It seems like a fun way to share with other Disney brides; plus, what a great keepsake for posterity! I’m still pretty new to the disboards, as I never went through a lurking phase (I think I was too excited ). But I think I understand the general format of a PJ. I do have to say, I think it’s harder to find info on larger weddings, so I hope maybe one day my PJ will be helpful to brides planning on higher guest counts.

Here goes!

Michelle's Wishes Wedding & Honeymoon PJ & TR

Last edited by One_Song; 07-11-2012 at 10:47 PM.
One_Song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
One_Song
DIS Veteran

Us

My name is Michelle, I will be 23 in June. My fiancé is Brandon, he is 25. We’ve been dating for 3 years. We met through a mutual friend in college in Chapel Hill, NC, when I was a sophomore and he was a senior. We joke now about how we both thought this would be a fling until he graduated! Haha

When Brandon graduated, he moved to Columbus, OH, to start law school. Since I had two years left in NC, we dated long distance. I can now say that it was, without exception, the hardest thing I’ve ever done. It wasn’t always easy, but we knew early on that we were going to spend our lives together, so we just had to get through it. I graduated last year with my degree in journalism, and together we moved to LA with our combined 3 dogs. He transferred to UCLA law and I took an internship with Disney. However, we both HATE Los Angeles. When he graduates next month, we’re moving back to FL (my home).

Our fur babies (I have to!)

Pizi

Stella

Darcy

Next up- the engagement!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #3
MissManners
Mouseketeer

You two are so cute! As are the pups. Congrats!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
One_Song
DIS Veteran

The Engagement

Let me give a little background: I grew up going to WDW 1-3 times a year with my family, and I think I love it more every time I go. Brandon went once as a kid (what????), and didn’t get why I was so into it. After we’d been dating about a year, I pressured him into going with me. He loved it. Somewhere I have a picture of him laughing like a loon on Dumbo. We’ve gone 4 times since.

Us by the wishing well

He especially loves turkey legs…

Back to the engagement: Last May, we took a trip to Disney World. We normally stay in an All Star (broke students), but this time we stayed in Polynesian (my old favorite). He claimed we were celebrating my college graduation, thus the upgrade. The first night there, we went to California Grill (also my fave). I remember thinking that he looked really nervous but I did not put two and two together. We got there, he had a word with the host, and took a seat at the bar because our table wasn’t ready. He ordered a scotch and downed the whole glass in about 30 seconds! LOL. The fireworks were about to start, so he suggested we go outside to watch. I absolutely love Wishes. We got a spot right on the railing and watched the show. Just as the finale started, he turned me around, slipped a ring box from his pocket, and asked me to marry him. It was so perfect!

This is the ring:

Back inside, our table was covered with confetti, and a bottle of champagne was chilling in a bucket. We were the very last people in the restaurant, and our waitress was so incredible.

We didn’t have a camera with us (shame on Brandon), but our waitress snapped this on her phone and sent it to us.

They gave us this delicious cake for free:

A few days later showing Mickey & Minnie the ring

He also scheduled an engagement portrait session with Disney

Next up- Choosing a Disney Wedding

Last edited by One_Song; 10-25-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
violentmesses
Mouseketeer

Awesome - looking forward to reading about your wedding plans.
violentmesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
KristiLyn
Fab Five Member!

You guys are adorable!! Your ring is beautiful!!
And I LOVE California Grill too!!!
KristiLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
One_Song
DIS Veteran

Thanks ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissManners View Post
You two are so cute! As are the pups. Congrats!
Thank you-- our dogs are our children. We spoil them way too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiLyn View Post
You guys are adorable!! Your ring is beautiful!!
And I LOVE California Grill too!!!
Cali Grill is so good!! I could live on the sushi boat! And the cheese tray!

I'm going to try to get another post or two up tonight, then later in the week I can get to the good stuff, like the dress

Old 04-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
One_Song
DIS Veteran

Starting the plans

After the engagement, I knew immediately that I wanted a Disney World wedding. Actually, I called DFTW the next day while we sat on the Polynesian beach

A Disney wedding has some big benefits for us. My hometown is a tiny beach town in northwest Florida. The airport has four gates (I am not being facetious, literally four gates), and connects to 3 airports. It would have been very difficult/expensive for Brandon’s family and friends to travel there. Also, my mother is a physician in a very small town. If the wedding was at home, we would have had to invite a boatload of people for “social reasons”. I never wanted a big wedding.

My family was instantly excited (we are all big WDW fans), and I think Brandon’s family has come around to it. Many of our guests have decided to turn our wedding into a vacation. My greatest wish for the wedding is that everyone has a wonderful time. I don’t care if they think it’s the biggest/most beautiful/fanciest/whatever wedding they’ve ever been to. But I really hope everyone looks back and says “I had such a good time.”

Our overall theme is Snow White. She has always been my favorite princess. I also am very interested in Disney history, so I love the significance of the film. Keep in mind, I don’t mean a literal kind of interpretation. No seven dwarves, no German cottages, no forest animals. To me, the movie is very romantic, very sweet and innocent. Still a princess story, but a little understated.

My overall vision is romantic, delicate, and graceful. Our colors are a very light pink (I call it blush) and a deep, rosy pink (I call it raspberry). I see the ceremony as being soft and romantic (with as many flowers as I can possibly get), and the reception as a fun, light-hearted party where you are free to mingle, eat, and drink as you please.

Our wedding is October 8, 2011. The ceremony is in the Wedding Pavilion at 5 p.m., the cocktail hour is in the Whitehall Room & Patio, and the reception is in a Grand Floridian ballroom.

Here are the colors:

Blush

Raspberry

Note that the second color is NOT hot pink!

No!

Here are some general inspiration pics I have:

I'm not looking for a duplicate of these things, but they have the aesthetic I like.

These are things that matter most to us: Food and alcohol, flowers, music.
Things we don’t feel strongly about: Photography/videography, entertainment, transportation

Last edited by One_Song; 11-08-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #9
One_Song
DIS Veteran

The Guest List & Wedding Party

I wish that we could have a tiny wedding with less than 20 people, but that was never a realistic option for us. Brandon and I both have big families, and my mom had a lot of people that she wanted to invite. I begged her to cut her list down, and she did, but no amount would have made the guest list “small”.

We are inviting 200 people. I feel like passing out when I read that. We are actually expecting between 100-130. Maybe we’re exaggerating and the actual RSVPs will be less than 100. I would be ecstatic!

I am having 5 bridesmaids: 2 cousins and 1 friend as bridesmaids, and 2 best friends as MOHs. Both girls are like sisters to me, we have been close friends since childhood, and I couldn’t imagine not asking either one of them to be an honor attendant. Brandon is having 4 groomsmen: his stepbrother (the best man) and 3 friends (one of whom is the mutual friend that introduced us!). We also have 2 flower girls (my niece and my cousin’s daughter) and a ring bearer (my cousin’s son). I will probably ask some male cousins to be ushers. Once we have our readings picked, then obviously we will need some readers, too.

This is the bridesmaids’ dress (all of them will be in black). I originally wanted short dresses, but all my girls wanted long!

All of the groomsmen and Brandon will be in a basic black tux with a white shirt, black vest, and black tie. Something like this:

We just found the flower girls’ dress. It is my favorite of anything so far!

And the ringbearer will be in a tiny tux, like this:

That’s a good-looking crowd!

Last edited by One_Song; 05-27-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:16 AM   #10
belle2211
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Song View Post
We are inviting 200 people. I feel like passing out when I read that. We are actually expecting between 100-130. Maybe we’re exaggerating and the actual RSVPs will be less than 100. I would be ecstatic!
Woohoo! Another large wedding! We are inviting 166 people. I would love it if we got to 100 people! (Does that sound wrong?) but think it will be closer to 130ish. RSVPs are due a month from today (have I sent out invites yet? NOPE! eek!) So I 'll let you know how mine goes!
belle2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #11
One_Song
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle2211 View Post
Woohoo! Another large wedding! We are inviting 166 people. I would love it if we got to 100 people! (Does that sound wrong?) but think it will be closer to 130ish. RSVPs are due a month from today (have I sent out invites yet? NOPE! eek!) So I 'll let you know how mine goes!
It doesn't sound wrong at all, I feel exactly the same way. I'm all caught up on your PJ now, so I'm waiting to hear what your count comes to! My fingers are crossed for you!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
elle1024
Mouseketeer

Hi there!
Just joining in. You guys are so cute! Love the engagement story and your ring is beautiful! I also really like your colors and your snow white theme... haven't seen any one else on here using her as inspiration.

[CENTER]Gisselle & Jose & our little Dylan
elle1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
DoomBuggy0922
DIS Veteran

Just checking in! You guys are adorable, and I can't wait to read more! (200 people though?!?! eeekkk!!!)

'96[POFQ] '97 [POR]; '99[POFQ] '02[OKW] '03[gparents condo] '04[gparents condo & DCL] '05[condo] '06[PC] '07[SSR] 3/08[condo] 9/08[PC] 6/09[POFQ]; 12/09[PC] '10[AKL&PC] 3/11[SSR] 8/11[PC] 01/12:BCV, GF, and BLT (Weddingmoon!!!); 05/12:AKL-KV; 12/12: SSR; 2/13: OKW; 4/13: BWV & OKW; 07/13: VWL & BCV; 09/13: BWV & YC; 11/13: PC and BWI

Next Trip: Christmas at SSR and BCV!

DFTW PJ and Honeymoon TR Memorial Day Weekend TR
DoomBuggy0922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
One_Song
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle1024 View Post
Hi there!
Just joining in. You guys are so cute! Love the engagement story and your ring is beautiful! I also really like your colors and your snow white theme... haven't seen any one else on here using her as inspiration.
Thank you! Even when I was little, I loved Snow White much more than the other princesses. I think the music from the film is so pretty, I'm using some of it for the ceremony... I might write about that soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBuggy0922 View Post
Just checking in! You guys are adorable, and I can't wait to read more! (200 people though?!?! eeekkk!!!)
Thank you! I know, my biggest fear is that EVERYONE decides to come! I hope that doesn't sound bad. Not that I don't want them there, it would just make the budget reeeeeeally stretched. I don't think it's a problem though; a lot of invites are going to people that we wanted to know were special to us, but realistically I don't think will make the trip. We'll see!

Old 04-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
KristiLyn
Fab Five Member!

All of the updates look great!!! Everything will look beautiful!!
KristiLyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: