Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Mom of 3 Princesses
Mouseketeer

Red face 1 Queen, 3 princesses and a reluctant King planning to go to Disney

I thought I would start a planning thread. I have been planning this trip... well... for 13 years. Yet, only last month did I hold my breath and leap into reservations.

This trip planning is held under strict confidentiality. Very secret... The King nor the princesses have any clue. The queen cannot afford it, but will find a way and in the end all will live happily ever after... well, let's hope.

For 13 years I have been receiving emails from Disney on my Yahoo email boasting the claim to eternal happiness (well at least for a few days). Each newsletter and each email would send me into a tailspin or sighs and sometimes tears. It was if.. just beyond my reach, was an entire world to share with my children. But alas, Disney does not account for divorce, travel, small children and unemployment. However, the magic was always beckoning.. right there in my email, calling, calling, promising......

A new marriage, a new education, a new position and a new daughter later I received in my Yahoo box, another magic email. Whereas I had stopped believing in the Magic during a few years of disgruntled distress, in my box, an email beckoned. As I watched my newest daughter dance in her Belle gown while my oldest daughter sang the words to the beauty and the Beast song and my middle daughter sighed as she looked on with delight.... I decided that now was the time to capture the magic again. So I ever so hesitantly went to the Disney website and started by throwing in some dates for Christmas next year and found..........

"We know who WE are!"
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2637062
Mom of 3 Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Mandie_Jo
Earning My Ears

Can't wait to see how this goes!! I love surprises and it sounds like good things are happening for you!

First Family Trip to Disney World - Feb 7th-12th 2010 POR

First Disney Cruise -May 27- June 1, 2012 DREAM

Upcoming Trip -June 1, 2013- June 6, 2013 POR
Mandie_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Mom of 3 Princesses
Mouseketeer

Allow me to introduce the Royal Family

Princess A : Will celebrate her 16th
[IMG][/IMG]

"We know who WE are!"

Last edited by Mom of 3 Princesses; 01-18-2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old 01-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Mom of 3 Princesses
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 3 Princesses View Post
Princess T
[IMG][/IMG]

"We know who WE are!"

Last edited by Mom of 3 Princesses; 01-18-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Mom of 3 Princesses
Mouseketeer

Princess H
[IMG][/IMG]

"We know who WE are!"
Old 01-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Mom of 3 Princesses
Mouseketeer

I found....

That there was very little to celebrate. (Albeit Disney told me their was). I had some time at Christmas 2011 that I HAD to take for vacation (budget cuts and all that) and started looking. Since we were a family of 5 on a budget, I was looking at about 4 nights in a value resort. I was also looking at the week of the 26-31st. (within those dates). We were SOOOO limited!!

Soon, I had decided on POR. But after I read all the reviews about how spread out things were, I started thinking it might be difficult for a little one. So perhaps the "music resort suite?" But at Christmas? With so many people there? Would the buses not be nuts? Hmmm back to the Riverside. Meanwhile, I started to do a little research and found a few websites and was able to find the travel agent, DAWN from Small World Vacations.

Patience is a virtue and a MUST working with me. I think that the Disney people have me on special list cause they are tired or hearing from you, pricing vacations and giving quotes that I never book.

However, things were still out of my price range (or so I thought) and did not commit. SOOO.. one time (on probably call # 70) to the Disney vacation people, they mentioned that I had a pin connected to my name... A WHAT? A PIN? Like a debit card pin? What the heeee is a PIN? Well, if you traveled before the 21st you would receive a Pin at discount off your rooms.. REALLY? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

So I called and started looking into packages for the 17th-23rd (what the hey, might as well give it a shot) Talked to a really nice guy who said, "Let's try the Contemporary"
The one with the Monorail, I ask.
Yes, he says
*****note.... before this I was not feeling magic I was feeling disappointed at the rates and how much it was going to be******
The monorail that runs through the lobby? I say again
Yes, he laughs and says again...
Uh oh.... what was that I just felt on my head... my eyes are itchy.. was that... pixie dust? No way, not magic... but......maybe.. just maybe....

"We know who WE are!"
Old 01-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
Four*Peas
Mouseketeer

Ahhhhh!!! You are such a great story teller!

Keep going girl, I'm hooked!

We're going to DISNEY WORLD!!!

Upcoming Trip - March 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
January 2011 - Pop Century
February 2009 - ASMusic
December 2004 - Off Property
May 2000 - POR
Four*Peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
Mom of 3 Princesses
Mouseketeer

Just maybe....

Well, just maybe we should rewind the clock a few years, let's use a the ship from "Flight of the Navigator" so that we can return to the present quickly, should we need to.

My grandmother lived in Miami when I was a child and we frequented the World many times. I remember riding the Monorail and being enclosed it that ever magical speedy monorail. ITs above ground trek to the land of enchantment mesmorized me. Of course, back them there was only the MK and really, what else did you need. A day of pirated and hitch hiking ghosts could fill weeks!! It was "mystic portal" that loomed ahead as we pulled into the stop at the Contemporary. Each time the conversation was as follows~
Mom, what is this place
A hotel
Can we stay here?
no
why?
we don't need to, your grandmother lives in florida
Dad, can we stay here
We did once?
REALLY!!!
yes
Can we stay again?
no it was exspensive and not that nice

As the train monorail pulled out of the station, my hands left shadowy dew marks and the lines from my forehead made strange shapes on the window.

I was going to stay there one day......

"We know who WE are!"

Last edited by Mom of 3 Princesses; 01-18-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
Mom of 3 Princesses
Mouseketeer

One day....

Now, as time has it... and nature does as well, children have a tendency to grow up, parents have tendency to to split, and grandparents have a tendency to move. So we went to Disney a few more times and when I was about 14 I told my parents I did not want to go anymore. Peter Pan was replaced by growing up with first kisses and Mr. Toad's wild ride was replaced by learning to drive and who needed ghosts when Chemistry is scary enough to fill anyones nights with nightmares.

When I was 18 my father asked me where I wanted to go for my Senior Trip. Having a severe case of MONO that almost killed me, I requested going to Disney. We stayed the night off Disney and although I was excited about passing through the Contemporary the thought of returning to my hotel room after only a few hours and a LLLOONNGGG nap in front of the Disney castle, I couldn't wait to fall asleep.

But, I can still remember how disappointed my father looked when I almost begged off seeing Tinkerbell fly to the castle. I think it was at that moment that I realized that Disney did something.. strange to adults. here was my father, a strong man, with tears in his eyes watching a woman on a wire....

Of course at 18, I could hardly understand........

"We know who WE are!"
Old 01-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
Mom of 3 Princesses
Mouseketeer

understand....

Ah yes, understand that we make choices in our lives, and understand that things happen because of the choices we make.

Disney asked "What will you celebrate?" well not long out of HS I celebrate the birth of Princess A and three years later, that of princess T. XH at that time was in armed forces..and Queen H did not make a good "hurry up and wait" wife, so we left those forces for the civilian world, plaqued with debt and no education and two small children... Ah yes... understanding the choices.

11 years ago, XH and I took our children to the World, we stayed at the All Star... we were looking for Magic. My little ones found Magic, PA (Princess A) talks about the magic of meeting Cinderella for the first time. She recited some of the movie and I have a picture of her gazing in adoration at Cinderella... Magic.

But as life would have it, Pixie dust was short on supply that year and within weeks XH and I split... no Magic, no dust, no World... just bills, single parenthood, no education and emails in my yahoo box, reminding me... that I could not find the magic, specially when they were going to turn off the lights for non payment.....

"We know who WE are!"
Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
Mom of 3 Princesses
Mouseketeer

non-payment....

Non-payment is difficult to deal with, but even more so when you know that times are tough.. but we find a way to survive day by day. I went back and got that education, raised those girls and found a strength I never knew I had. Or, maybe I did...but it was not a magic thing anymore.

When I was young, I used to sing that song "one day my prince will come." By the mid twenties, I realized that no one was coming. There was no slipper, no prince and fairytales were for those that were not up to their Mickey ears in bills...

Yet, my princesses grew up really fast, especially princess A who knew what it meant when we would stop by the church food pantry. Sometimes , I couldn't help but remember what she looked like when she danced with Cinderella....

After some time, I met my DH that reminded me that someone could still treat another like royalty. Although, he comes from a family that believes that places like Disney are just a product of American Consumerism and boredom, he always smiled when I would mention that I wished that I had been able to take the girls to Disney.

Now, in the meantime, I finished this education, married an amazing man, watched my little girls grow steadily into young women (grown up princesses) and celebrated the birth on my Princess H.

Princess H is truly the princess, although her love was always the colorful and dramatic Muppets. I began to believe that she would skip the "Disney Princess stage" although our many Disney VHS tapes sat silently collecting dust in our cabinet.

Until one day, she opened the cabinet and pulled out a tape.

WAAASSS Dis?
Cinderella
Ella?
Yes
Watch
ummmm... ok.

With the creak of the turning tape a look of anticipation crossed her face, her older sisters walked in to ask what we were watching,
Cinderella (me)
Cinderlla? Princess A
Yeh, PH found it
oooo I want to watch it too, PT

I then realized that I was looking at three of my princesses revisiting the magic of Cinderella.. there was some magic there...

"We know who WE are!"
Old 01-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
Mom of 3 Princesses
Mouseketeer

There....

I stood, pretty stunned by the looks on their faces.

Now, living pretty much out in Never Never land (and not the fun area) we do not have a Disney Store. In fall, we traveled to a more 'populated' area to Christmas shop. It was there that I found a Disney store.

I may live in in the boonies, but I haven't always. I always loved the Disney store, it was a like a little slice of Disney. Of course, time makes you forget. Looking at the massive lines and decorations stirred not a whisper excitement, just a sense of mission to find those little figurines of princesses that I just knew that my daughter would never play with (PH).

I have to admit though, it was enough to make me think of the look in my dad's eyes when I looked up to see Tinkerbell on the ceiling... it was weird, what was this illogical silly soft feeling that I was having about Disney... sigh..

That leads us to my trail Marathon....

"We know who WE are!"
Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
Mom of 3 Princesses
Mouseketeer

Marathon...

a trail marathon to be exact... UGH... I give mondo kudos of respect for runners that can tackle a marathon without a thought. That of course is not me. I run because I am glutten for punishment. At least, that is what my therapist would tell me if I did see one. I push myself through that 26.2 miles so that I can feel the pain and the relief of the finish.... not to mention being in direct competition with the part of me that wants to give up. Knowing that I am just too stubborn to quit... this time around...

Well this is a particular hairy marathon. It is a trail.. and hilly and not very well marked either. I spent a lot of time alone, going for over an hours sometimes never seeing another soul.

your mind goes places sometimes when you run, and this day was definitely one of those days.

I started thinking about those Disney princesses, those disney princesses... I hated those princesses for being so happy, hated them for being so pretty, hated them for disappointing so many girls who want to be just like them.. after all i was NOTHING like them

well...Forgive me.. this part gets blurry put I remember the train of thought

Snow white, well I was like snow white, innocent and sweet, and somewhere, inside, I still was
Sleeping Beauty... Ok, so she spent a lot of like sleep walking, never knowing what the future held...I suppose in a way I am that way too
Cinderella... isn't it funny how I wanted a dress that sparkled like hers .. hang on... I wore one like it to my wedding... subconciously?
Alice... yeh I know she is not a princess, but she get rather tired of things always changing and never knowing what or who she was going to be the next minute
Jasmine... Sure, I would love to have a magic carpet, to see a whole new world... but wait, hadn't I traveled with my husband to different countries.. something I would never have dreamed of even 6 years before?
Belle... not that was one smart chick, I love to read, my profession revolves around books
And Mulan... Yep, fight hard, hang tough, gain respect, stay a woman...

okay,,, so maybe I didn't hate them all that much.. BUT why in the world was I thinking about Disney characters. must be the Disney store and the Cinderella movie.

then I found myself looking for dresses....

"We know who WE are!"

Last edited by Mom of 3 Princesses; 01-19-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
MelMel11
Mouseketeer

Really enjoyed reading your post. Also glad to see someone else from North Carolina. I cannot wait to read more..

Melissa
MelMel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #15
Mom of 3 Princesses
Mouseketeer

Dresses...

For princess H. Belle and Sleeping beauty, cinderella and tinkerbell...

All those Disney movies were starting to get there workout... and Princess A,T and H were memorizing them as the sat TOGETHER and watched them.

Thus leads us right up to Christmas morning... Princess H's favorite presents? The Princess Figurines and the Belle dress...

As I watched my Princess dance in her Belle gown while my oldest daughter sang the words to the beauty and the Beast song and my middle daughter sighed as she looked on with delight... I realized that Princess H was looking at her older sis as they danced, the same way Princess A did Cinderella all those MANY years ago.... I decided that now was the time to capture the magic again. So I ever so hesitantly went to the Disney website and started by throwing in some dates for Christmas next year and found..........

"We know who WE are!"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: