Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Your Mastercard Has Been Locked...

Today, my daughter and I each received calls on our respective cell phones. It was an automated message that said "We regret to inform you that your Mastercard has been locked. Please press one to speak to our security department."

DD got the call first. She didn't pick up the call so it was left as a message. Of this, I am very glad because she talked to me before responding. She was upset because she does have a Mastercard. I told her to just delete the message.

An hour later, I got the same call. In a way, I am glad they called me because it set DD's mind at ease. You see, I don't have a Mastercard.

At no time did the caller mention the name of a bank or any other business. It also did not mention our names. Obviously, it was some type of phishing call. You'd think they'd be a little more cleaver doing this. At the very least, I'd use Visa as the card rather than Mastercard. A lot more people have Visas and are more likely to fall for it.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

UGH! Hate these scams. Glad you got to the bottom of it!

On the other hand I have received that call from my CC company a couple of times. Suspicious use of my card. I couldn't figure out what was unusual.

MasterCard is very popular here in NY. I don't have a Visa at all. That and AX.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
jmkjr72
DIS Veteran

i hate it when the security dept at my bank calls as it comes from a blocked number so you never know who it is calling

normaly i let those calls go to voice mail and call back useing the number on the back of the card

if its not a blocked number then you can give it to the people at the number on the back and they can forward it to the proper law enforcement people
jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

My bank routinely flags my card for what they think is a suspicious purchase. I usually find out when I go to use my card and find it declined.

When I check my messages, sure enough there is a call from the Fraud Detection dept. But, even then, I never call the number they give. I always flip my credit card over and call the number on the back of the card.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
MrsJackSparrow4Life
DIS Veteran

I kept getting those calls saying my Wells Fargo account was going to be closed if I didn't verify some information. Since I don't have, nor have I ever had an account with Wells Fargo I just laughed and hung up each timed they called. They gave up after awhile.
MrsJackSparrow4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
My bank routinely flags my card for what they think is a suspicious purchase. I usually find out when I go to use my card and find it declined.

When I check my messages, sure enough there is a call from the Fraud Detection dept. But, even then, I never call the number they give. I always flip my credit card over and call the number on the back of the card.
That happened to me once. I got a message on my answering machine, I thought it was a scam. So I called the # on the back of the card and it was real! I had used it for a car rental the week before with Enterprise, the only time I had used it around that time. Someone lifted the number and tried to charge $1200 of athletic equipment! So they cancelled my account and setup a new one.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
Witch Mountain
Mouseketeer

If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer, but I'd love to have fun with that one. I don't have a Mastercard and I'd love to ask them who exactly has my Mastercard!
Witch Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
Kimberle
WL Vet

I have had my credit card "locked". I get a rather generic message. You should call the customer service number on the back of your credit card. I would not call the number on the message. But, I would look into it. There is a lot of credit card fraud and someone could have lifted your numbers.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
j's m
DIS Veteran

I went to use my Chase mastercard Thursday to purchase airfare to WDW and my card was declined. I thought maybe it was a sign that airfare was too high. I tried my Chase Visa and it went through.

I called Chase and they thought it was suspicious activity and locked the card. So after verifying my info, unlocked the card. I called almost immediately so they didn't have a chance to call me.
j's m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
But, even then, I never call the number they give. I always flip my credit card over and call the number on the back of the card.
Absolutely! The same with the e-mails saying they're going to lock your account (and yes, I've gotten them from "banks" at which I don't have an account!) Always call a number you can independently verify, or go to a website whose address you type into your browser. NEVER call the number or click the link!

Of course, whenever I've gotten those calls, they were in fact real for "suspicious activity." Luckily, it was just us acting suspiciously!
Old 04-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #11
Kat77
Now if I could just remember how to spell and how not to write in run on sentences....

Quote:
Originally Posted by j's m View Post
I went to use my Chase mastercard Thursday to purchase airfare to WDW and my card was declined. I thought maybe it was a sign that airfare was too high. I tried my Chase Visa and it went through.

I called Chase and they thought it was suspicious activity and locked the card. So after verifying my info, unlocked the card. I called almost immediately so they didn't have a chance to call me.
Chase locked our card last summer while trying to purchase WDW park tickets. It was a quick call to verify and unlock it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJackSparrow4Life View Post
I kept getting those calls saying my Wells Fargo account was going to be closed if I didn't verify some information. Since I don't have, nor have I ever had an account with Wells Fargo I just laughed and hung up each timed they called. They gave up after awhile.
Ugh! I've been getting those too.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post
Of course, whenever I've gotten those calls, they were in fact real for "suspicious activity." Luckily, it was just us acting suspiciously!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
That happened to me once. I got a message on my answering machine, I thought it was a scam. So I called the # on the back of the card and it was real! I had used it for a car rental the week before with Enterprise, the only time I had used it around that time. Someone lifted the number and tried to charge $1200 of athletic equipment! So they cancelled my account and setup a new one.
Yes, my bank seems to "routinely" flag or lock my credit card and call me. Especially after I've rented a car from Enterprise. Hmm, maybe their is a security breach there? They never lock my card after I buy plane tickets - usually online, but always with a rental car. It got so annoying, that I now use a different bank's credit card to reserve the car.

I was really annoyed that they locked my card the first couple of times. What a pain to call back and go through all their security questions. But TWICE they actually caught suspicious charges! This second time was just a couple months ago. They went through their usual questions, "Have you purchased something at..." Yes. . . yes. . . yes. . . WHAA-AAT?

I still had one of those older credit cards in which someone can hold a credit card scanner up against the card and get all the info without even swiping the card. My bank no longer issues them. I live in the Times Square area, so some pick pocket must have scanned my card, made a new one and then used it right in my neighborhood.

If it wasn't for the fact that their fraud detection software analyzes and compares the types of purchases and which stores are the usual ones I make, even though these were in my neighborhood, I would have been charged for $1500 in athletic shoes & equipment, and another $300 from a local drugstore - but not one I ever shop at.

The thieves did get a free dinner at Red Lobster, as the bank absorbed that charge.

I'm no longer snippy or annoyed now when my bank flags my card. It's still a pain to deal with, but I am so glad they are on the ball.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
Charade
I'm the one on the LEFT side of my avatar!
Yanno, stooopid shouldn't be that funny
Poop flush, poop flush, poop flush, THEN wipe flush and so on

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJackSparrow4Life View Post
Did WF take over your bank? I used to have Countrywide for my mortgage but it was bought by Bank of America. Eventually everything got switched over to the new name (but the account remained the same).
Offsite 97,99,00,01,02,03,04,05,05,06,07,08
Onsite CBR 06,Dolphin 08
Next trip: ????

This siggy approved by SwedishMeatball
Charade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
book_junkie
DIS Veteran

Family visits = Credit Card Fraud

We usually get the "suspicious activity" calls when we travel over the holidays to visit relatives. We only us a specific credit (never debit) card when we travel or to make online purchases, and we always pay it off- the rest of the time, it's locked away, never to use unless absolutely necessary, so you would think they would be able to tell our usage history and that in these particular cities that charges around these times would be OK.

We live in the DFW area, they're in the upper Midwest, so we fly into the cheapest airport and then rent a car. Even when we've called the company ahead of time to let them know that we're traveling and that there will be charges in these particular areas, it'll always set something up.

Last time, according to fraud management, it was because we had three different charges to three different gas stations (which were $1 authorizations at the time because they hadn't gone all the way through). First one was at 3 a.m. in one city for diet clear soda for my stomach virus, second one was at 9 a.m. for filling up the rental car in another city, and the third one was at 2 p.m. at a third city (different state) for topping off the rental car before returning it. Luckily we called them back in the airport and got it clear because we ended up getting delayed and needing the card that evening. If it had been locked it would have made us use another card or a debit card, which we don't like at all- higher interest rate on that card, and no protection on the debit card...

Past Trips: Oct 14 Cruise & Land; Nov-Dec 2013; May 2013 WDW; Oct-Nov 2012 WDW; Oct 2011 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct/Nov 2010 WDW; Oct 2010 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct 2009 WDW; June 2008 DL ; Nov 2007 WDW Clan Reunion; Nov 2004 WDW; June 1994 WDW Family Trip; March 1986 WDW Family Trip
book_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #15
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charade View Post
Did WF take over your bank? I used to have Countrywide for my mortgage but it was bought by Bank of America. Eventually everything got switched over to the new name (but the account remained the same).
Wells Fargo and Wachovia merged.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: