Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
socababy
DIS Veteran

Single occupancy pricing ?

Does Disney use a certain formula when pricing single occupancy of a stateroom? Also, how is the price figured out if I wanted to add someone to the room at a later date?
socababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
njmom23grls
DIS Veteran

you have to pay a single supplement - 1.75 of the cost for 2 people. Book with 2 - then if you remove the second person - you pay 3/4 of their fare on top of your fare - that way your price is locked in as opposed the the price of a second person at the time you add them (at least that was what I was advised today when booking the Hawaii for 2)
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The single supplement cost is calculated at 175% of the cruise fare portion of the ticket + 1 person's taxes and government fees. The "cruise fare" is that portion of what you pay that does not include the taxes, government fees, and other "non-commissionable items" (whatever that is!)

SO, if the cost of a double occupancy cruise was $1125 per person with a breakdown of $1000 cruise fare + $125 taxes, the single fare would be $1750 + $125 for a total of $1875.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Post number 2 is correct--book with 2 and drop down to one if needed. THere is SO little difference between the deposits needed for one and for 2 that it becomes almost irrelevant, and you have locked in the second person's rate. You can even book the number 2 as "to be determined."
Old 04-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

Yup - what they said. I made the mistake of booking 1 for my Alaskan cruise (but then again, they wanted $600 per person deposit!!) and by the time I added the second person, the pricing was up and I paid about $400 more for the second person than I would have at time of booking. Course, I didn't have $1200 to deposit at that time. So glad it's back within reason at 20%.
Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
socababy
DIS Veteran

Great info! One more question, how does changing a name reflect the price? If I book myself and a friend tomorrow and that friend cannot make it but another one can, how does a name change work?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
njmom23grls
DIS Veteran

Just make sure you are the primary reservation name. Book the second passenger as TBD plus your last name - I booked mine as me <"njmom Smith"> and 2nd passenger as "TBD Smith" - then when you know who is/isn't traveling with you they can change the name at no charge for the 2nd person. If primary name changes then I believe it is considered a "new booking" and charged at the prevailing prices
Old 04-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

In 2009, you could change a name 31 or more days in advance of the cruise at no cost, at 30 days or less there was a fee. I have read on the boards that the cut off is now 45 days, but I can't confirm that.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
VeroBeach
Mouseketeer

I believe for suites the single supplement is 200%, not 175%.
VeroBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
socababy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom23grls View Post
Just make sure you are the primary reservation name. Book the second passenger as TBD plus your last name - I booked mine as me <"njmom Smith"> and 2nd passenger as "TBD Smith" - then when you know who is/isn't traveling with you they can change the name at no charge for the 2nd person. If primary name changes then I believe it is considered a "new booking" and charged at the prevailing prices
Yes I will be the primary name on the room. However, it would be a friend going and she does not have the same last name. I emailed my TA and told her to add my friend to the room. If she can't go, there is one other friend I will ask who may be able to go. Hopefully changing those 2 names wouldn't be a problem. If the second friend cannot make it, I fully intend on sailing alone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: