Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
anolen300
Mouseketeer

Question Anyone drive from Texas to Disney World?

Does anyone drive from TX to Disney World? This will be our 5th trip driving. Just wondering how far you usually go and where you stop if you do.
anolen300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
wickey's friend
I can get older but who says I have to grow up . . .
Tittered at the Twitter comments
Co-workers think I'm nuts anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by anolen300 View Post
Does anyone drive from TX to Disney World? This will be our 5th trip driving. Just wondering how far you usually go and where you stop if you do.
We have driven about five times (we fly now though). We have started very early from the College Station area and made it to Tallahassee, spent the night and made it to the parks at opening. We also have left in the afternoon after school, stayed in Lake Charles, LA and made it to WDW in the evening (no parks time).

Those are some long rides (I know others make longer, but wow!). That's why we fly. Although, if airfare keeps going up, we may have to go back to driving, even with $4 per gallon gas.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
jacdolfin
Mouseketeer

We are flying this year in June but usually drive. We are in Laredo now but last year when we drove we drove from San Antonio. We drove nonstop going leaving at 1 in the afternoon the day my son got out of school witha 6 and 4 ywear old. We ended up getting to the Orlando area by 10am and went to SeaWorld. It was a loooong trip but we did it. We prefer to drive non stop going and stop on the way back.

When we stop the half way point for us is Mobile Alabama or Biloxi Mississippi. Thats about halfway between San Antonio and Orlando.

This year we got nonstop flights from Laredo for $600 so we are flying Allegiant. Hope you have a great trip.
jacdolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Madeleinesmommy
Earning My Ears

I have done it many times. It's just me and my daughter (dd8). We drive from Austin to Tallahassee, spend the night and then drive in to DW the next morning. Have 1/2 day at the parks. It's a long drive but we manage to make it.
Madeleinesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
anolen300
Mouseketeer

The first 2 trips we did we drove non-stop. Well almost non-stop on the second one we pulled over outside Tallahassee at a rest stop and napped for an hour. Actually felt safe cause they had security at the rest stop.

Does anyone drive out of DFW area where you head into Louisiana at Shreveport? We usually cut down south out of Shreveport towards New Orleans then hit I-10. GPS keeps wanting us to go straight on 20 into Mississippi then go south. Anyone go that way? Just wondering if it's all non-stop highway or if it's one of those state highways where you go through cities and have red lights and speed limit changes.
anolen300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #6
grumpytx
Mouseketeer

We've driven before, stopped at Tallahassee, about 12 hour trip from the Houston area.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:47 AM   #7
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpytx View Post
We've driven before, stopped at Tallahassee, about 12 hour trip from the Houston area.
How fast did you drive and did you stop for meals, breaks, etc. along the way?.
We normally drive from Chicago to FL but are going to Houston first to visit family before heading to FL and are trying to figure out where to stop for the night.
Last year we did Chicago to Disney to TX and know where to stop that way but are looking for a good stopping point for our reverse triangle trip this year.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
TinkWink
Mouseketeer

Wickey's Friend we must be neighbors!

We thought about driving and have friends who have driven from here to Tallahassee. I think they stopped every few hours since they have little kids. Gas started going up so I looked for airfare that would be about the same price as us driving (plus food/hotel along the way). We're flying now, but I would like to drive one day! If I could drive there and fly home I'd do that...just depressing to think of that long drive home!!

12/07 WL 5/11 CR (took our Sweet Girl for the first time!!)
TinkWink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
Tissa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpytx View Post
Same here. We are leaving on June 3rd and already have the HOJO booked.
We always drive since my autistic ds does not fly.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
DisneyBum303
Mouseketeer

/although we fly now, we have taken both routes through Louisiana; straight across on I20 to Mississippi and heading south from Shreveport.

The I20 route takes you to Jackson, where you get off on a smaller road down through Hattiesburg. It's still a four lane highway, but it's not an interstate so yes, you do go through small towns with redlights.

Once in Hattiesburg, we usually take Highway 98 to Mobile. Again, I like the backroads trips. More to see!

The only thing I don't like about the south of Shreveport route is that incredibly long bridge over the swamp. Everytime we crossed it, I was praying that the car wouldn't break down

We usually stayed in the Fort Walton Beach/Niceville area. I grew up there so it's a perfect stopover. Also let's you put your feet in the gulf

Crestview is also okay. They have a Hardee's, which is where I would get my biscuit fix. Nobody makes biscuits like Hardee's!!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
wickey's friend
I can get older but who says I have to grow up . . .
Tittered at the Twitter comments
Co-workers think I'm nuts anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkWink View Post
Wickey's Friend we must be neighbors!

We thought about driving and have friends who have driven from here to Tallahassee. I think they stopped every few hours since they have little kids. Gas started going up so I looked for airfare that would be about the same price as us driving (plus food/hotel along the way). We're flying now, but I would like to drive one day! If I could drive there and fly home I'd do that...just depressing to think of that long drive home!!
Howdy! We usually drove the whole way home each time -- DH didn't want to stop. It is a loooooooong way home, especially through Louisiana.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
tigerchick
Earning My Ears

DisneyBum, I couldn't help but laught at your post. Being from the Baton Rouge area, that "long bridge over the swamp" is one of my favorite stretches of road and it's also funny to think that it isn't the longest bridge in the state of Louisiana.

On a more relavant note, we are driving from Houston to WDW in January. I am already mapping out our stops as DH and I wil be going nonstop to get there!!!

First Half Marathon - DISNEY January 2012
tigerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
TinkWink
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickey's friend View Post
Howdy! We usually drove the whole way home each time -- DH didn't want to stop. It is a loooooooong way home, especially through Louisiana.
HOWDY! Yup, definitely neighbors!!!

12/07 WL 5/11 CR (took our Sweet Girl for the first time!!)
TinkWink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
Arenita
Are we there yet?

We drove from Houston last June and will be driving again in August. We left about 5:30am and drove to Ocala, arriving about 9 p.m. Stopped twice for gas and made a couple of rest stops, plus a sit-down meal. Got up early the next morning - drove for an hour and a half - and we were at EPCOT before noon. For the drive back, we made it about 1/2 way and then stopped for the night - can't remember the town. MUCH harder drive back, but sharing the driving and napping along the way helped.

We stayed at the Cabins and made our meals, so I went grocery shopping early in the morning in Ocala - cheaper prices than nearer WDW and gave me something to do while the others slept. Oh, if I could only sleep past 5!!!

(Seeing the Buc-ee's sign in Florida was funny!)

Apr 86 DL...Sep 93 WDW Off-site...Nov 05 WDW Off-site...May 07 POFQ '50th B-day'!...Aug 08 Poly 'We survived TS Fay'~Hawaii Upgrade!...Aug 09 GF~Lagoon View upgrade!...Jun 10 FWC 'Gathering of the Princesses'~1st Road Trip...Dec 10 CR 'ChiChi's Very Merry Birthday Party'...Aug 11 FWC 'FACES@TheFort' ~Road Trip #2...Dec 11 YC 'Occupy Main Street USA'~First solo trip!...Jul 12 SSR 'TrulyEpicAdventure.4.3'~Road Trip #3...Jun13 FWC 'Stitch's Great Escape XIII'~Road Trip #4...Sep 13 BWI 'Spidercuzzins Not So Scary F&WF'...Dec 13 WL 'Sister Christmas'...Feb 14 AKL 'Jambo Junket'~Solo Trip #2...Apr 14 BC 'Flower Power!'...Sep 14 BWI 'F&WF Part Dos'
Arenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
GoofyTraci
DIS Veteran

another Dis'er told me about this thread. Boy do I need help. We usually fly but with the prices going up and up I think this year we might drive. We are coming from Houston on thur June 2 my son gets out of school at 12:15. we would like to leave then but not sure if that is a good idea or what a good time to leave would be. We would like to be there for star wars weekend on friday. Any tips suggestions???? a route that works best for you? Any and all info would be great thank you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: