Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

First-time cruiser report: Magic Eastern Caribbean, Mar 26-Apr 2, 2011 (+navigators)

I hope this report provides the perspective of a first-time cruiser. I did so much research here on the DIS, and got so much helpful information here, that I felt somewhat experienced before even arriving...but there was still so much I learned and observed.

My party was a family of three...DH, DW, and DS (5).

Getting to and from port
We did the one-way car rentals. Thanks to the DIS my research showed rentals was a good way to go, and it worked out great.

We used Hertz from the airport to Cape Canaveral. The morning of the cruise I dropped off my family and luggage and the porter was super helpful -- told us how my wife could take my passport and check us in while I was returning the car. Returning the car to Hertz was fantastic. They took car of me right away, and their shuttle van driver was very friendly and informative. I was back at the port terminal within 20 minutes at the most. Cost of the rental, using a AAA rate, was $48 and included a child safety seat.

Upon returning from the cruise, we used Avis. Their shuttle took a really, really, long time to show up at the port terminal, and when it did arrive, not everyone who was waiting could fit. The driver was not helpful at all. Actually picking up our car at Avis was very fast, but dropping off the car at the airport was another wait. We stood at our car waiting, like all the other customers, for attendants to come and check us in. But one little bonus was the total price was $13 less than I was expecting. Looks like they did not charge me for the child safety seat - not sure if they forgot or what. Total cost was $35. I want to fill out a survey for Avis but they don't list anything on my receipt nor have I gotten any email yet. I guess they don't want to hear about it...

Country Inn & Suites
We stayed at CI&S in Cape Canaveral the night before the cruise. I used the Carlson Friends & Family code, (CARLSONF) which I don't think is valid anymore now, but it got us a $70 rate for a Kids Quarters Suite. There was absolutely no discussion of the rate or the CARLSONF code upon check-in. The hotel was very busy and the wait to check-in was a little slow.

Kids bunks and TV:

The room was very nice, with a separate bunk bed area and TV for kids. It's not a separate room but a divider wall. Overall the room was very spacious. We used the pool, which was very busy as there were tons of people staying to cruise the next day.

The complimentary breakfast was awesome -- huge variety of choices such as waffles, eggs, sausage, bacon, along with breads, pastry, and cereal. Plus the breakfast room staff were very, very friendly, cheerful, and helpful. One tip though is to get to the breakfast as early as possible. We got there right at 7am and I'm so glad we did, because an hour later there was a line out the door for the breakfast items. One of the staff said there were 500 guests.

Beer on board
Also thanks to the DIS I learned about carrying your own alcohol on board. We drove down the street to Publix in Cocoa Beach and I bought a 12 pack of Yuengling. Almost all the beer at Publix is cold, with just a few warm cases. Since I didn't need the beer to be cold yet, I asked for a warm case of Yuengling and the guy was very helpful about getting me one from the back room. The 12 pack fit nicely into my carry-on bag.

The beverage cooler in the stateroom did an okay job of chilling the beer. Later I got ice from our stateroom hostess and I put the beer into the ice bucket inside the beverage cooler. I took a can to each dinner (except Palo). For Castaway Cay, I filled a small Ziploc bag with ice from the beverage station and took some cans in a small soft-sided cooler we had.

Boarding
So we did get to the port early, around 10am. Looks like everyone else does too because the terminal was really busy, but all you really do is sit around until 11:45 or so. We got boarding group 6.

Magic in port

The movies running on the TVs kept us occupied, as did Mickey and Pluto making appearances.

One thing I learned at the port was about the Mickey Bands for the Oceaneer Club/Lab. The Mickey Band is the waterproof electronic device that the kids wear for checking in and out. Most kids have them on their wrist, but I did see a few kids with them on their ankle.

The line at the port for the Mickey Bands was long all morning long, but at least it was something to do. I'm sure you can get the Mickey Bands on board too, but most everyone was in line to get them.

Tip: Once you enter the Mickey porthole and after they swipe your KTTW cards, there is a queue for family photos. As we got into the queue, we saw people skipping the queue and photos altogether by going to the far right. I think the "skip" queue was sort of hidden by a big sign about the family photos itself. If you're a frugal family like us, we weren't planning to buy the family photo anyway, so look for the line to skip! Plus the queue we were in was slooooow.

Maybe it was just me, but from reading the DIS I got the idea that getting on board was a mad rush and getting to eat was chaos. In our experience, boarding was pretty relaxing. After being announced, a crew member greeted us personally and asked if we were cruising for the first time. It looked like she was going to direct us to Parrot Cay for lunch, but when we asked about using the pool, she led us to the elevator and gave us directions to deck 9.

Once on deck 9, things were pretty quiet. We got sandwiches from Goofy's Galley and burgers and hot dogs from Pluto's Dog House. My son used the Mickey pool. Yes, the pool got busier as more people came on board, but the whole boarding/eating experience was really nice, I thought. We headed down to our stateroom a bit after 1:30.

Stateroom
We were on deck 2 in 2586, a category 9B, which seemed like a good location at midship on the Magic. Nice to have a porthole and split bath as we originally booked an 11C inside stateroom (on a guarantee/GTY) that has neither. Generally we liked and enjoyed the room. Our stateroom hostess, Nicol, was wonderful.

Stateroom 2586

There were some minor issues, which included: the door to the beverage cooler did not work well; it was damaged because it rubbed up against all the door hardware. Also, one of the wave phones had no signal and we had to get a new one delivered.

Porthole 2586

As for noise, each night between 10:30-11:30 there was a lot of noise from the Lumiere's galley above. There must be some kind of regular activity at that time. Also when going to sleep is when we really noticed the noise from the ship engines. But the noise from the galley and the engines did not give us cause to complain; it was tolerable in both cases.

Cruising
From everything I read, I formed an idea that the ship was so big it was unlikely we'd feel anything or get sick. Well, we didn't get sick, but I must not have read enough because we did feel the movement, and the first night we had to get used to it. I realized that no matter how big, the ship is a vehicle and you're going to feel and hear it moving.

Breakfasts
Five of our seven breakfasts, we went to Topsider Buffet. We really liked it each morning, with a great variety of breakfast items and it all tasted very good. We always got there as early as we could when there was no lines yet. The staff in the morning was very good and also included one of our evening servers, Llewellyn, who had an authentic bird call whistle that filled the restaurant.

Topsider outside seating

Our character breakfast was in Parrot Cay. The food was okay, and it was the most efficient character breakfast I've ever seen. Whoosh - here comes the handler to get your autograph book. Boom, here comes each of the six characters to pose with you. Bam, you're done.

On our disembarkation day, our breakfast was in Lumiere's, and it was just okay. I would have rather gone to Topsider one last time, and I think it was actually open, but we followed the assigned breakfast rotation.

Lunch
Had lunch in different places during the week. The Italian buffet at Parrot Cay was very good. Ordering off the lunch menu at Lumiere's was also very good, even just a burger there was very tasty. On our St. Thomas excursion day, we didn't eat on the island and came back to scarf down sandwiches, pizza, and tacos from the counters on deck 9. The only disappointing lunch was the seafood buffet at Topsider; we originally went to Lumiere's but the crew there told us there was sushi at Topsider. Well, the sushi wasn't bad, but it wasn't all that great either. The rest of the seafood buffet was pretty good, but I think we should have stuck with Lumiere's.

Rotational Dining
We thought overall the rotational dining was really, really good. Each night the appetizers, soups/salads, entrees, and desserts were all tasty and satisfying. Sure, some things were better than others, but we did not find that anything was simply bad -- it was all really good food. But I can't say I found much different in the food among the three rotational locations. The theming was slightly different depending on the night, but generally the selections were all of high quality.

We were assigned the LAPLAPL rotation.

Lumiere's

As for atmosphere, Animator's Palate was the most interesting, although it wasn't quite as interesting as I had imagined. The changes from black and white to color were much more subtle that I expected. But, for little kids this restaurant is the most fun because there are things to watch. One thing I learned (or realized) is that there is only one show night in AP on a 7-day cruise. We were also there on Prince & Princess night and they run cartoons on the big screens, but there is no AP show.

We were at Lumiere's three times on our rotation and I found it to be the least interesting, especially for kids. Plus we were at table 15 in the back corner and it seemed a bit secluded back there. My favorite meal there was the Yachtsman Steakhouse Beef Tenderloin on the last night.

We were at Parrot Cay once for dinner because the other night we went to Palo. The atmosphere at Parrot Cay is in between AP and Lumiere's, from what I saw.

Palo
Palo lived up to and exceeded the hype. We went for dinner and felt it was one of the best restaurants in our lifetime. The service was impeccable. Each course was outstanding. The entrees we had were the grilled tuna and the beef tenderloin. It was the best steak I've ever had. And for dessert, the chocolate souffle is amazing. They also helped us celebrate an anniversary with an anniversary message in chocolate and complimentary cocktails. Of course those extras helped encourage us to tip extra on top of the $20 per person.

Palo

Dress
We followed DCL's dress requirements and packed dress clothes (not formal wear though) for formal night and for Palo, and made sure to have long pants for dinner. Although I would mostly follow the requirements next time, dressing up for formal night or semi-formal night seemed more like something to do for yourself, not as much to make sure you fit in. The dress in Palo was more dressier, but still saw people dressing quite casually, for example, polos for men vs. a jacket or dress shirt. We did give in on dressing our young son in long pants for dinner, as he didn't enjoy doing so. I didn't see any adults dressing for dinner in anything egregious like swimsuits or shorts and flip flops, but the actual dress was much more casual than Disney's guidelines would suggest.

St. Maarten/St.Martin
We did the French Riviera Beach Rendezvous through DCL. It was an outstanding port adventure. We were bused to the Waikiki Beach restaurant with their private beach on Orient Bay. When we arrived each person got fruit punch and the adults could get rum added. Padded lounge chairs were available for everyone and you could rent an umbrella if you wanted. The beach was gorgeous. There were some big waves but the water was great despite that.

Orient Bay

A sit-down lunch was included in the price. The food was simple but tasty -- choices were fish, chicken, or ribs, and the meal included a cocktail for a drink if you wanted. I had a Carib Lager.

The tour operators were always around and were very helpful. On the buses each way, the tour guides narrated about the island, the Dutch and French sides, and what it was like to live there.

This excursion was a big highlight of the trip and I highly recommend it.

Also, for all port excursions including Castaway Cay, DCL provides you with towels as you leave the ship. So, you don't need to pack your own beach towels. They are the same white towels available at the deck 9 pools.

St. Thomas
On St. Thomas we did the Magens Bay Beach Break. This tour was not nearly as well-run as the St. Maarten excursion. The open-air taxis were late, and the tour guides did nothing to help get everyone seated -- there was confusion about whether everyone would fit. Then the ride over to Magens Bay was wild -- people were joking about having a thrill ride as part of the Disney experience. Unlike on St. Maarten there was no narrated tour, although with the length of the ride, there could have been if the transportation allowed for it.

Once at Magens Bay, the beach itself was beautiful and the water was placid for swimming, but this is very much also a local beach AND cruise ship central, so it was very crowded. You had the DCL group, the Norweigan group, the Carnival group…all ships in port had excursions there. But unlike the St. Maarten excursion, the tour operators disappeared for the day. I assume they just dropped us off.

Magens Bay

The best part of Magens Bay was exploring the rocks on the right side of the beach and seeing tropical fish just by looking into the water, no goggles or snorkel required.

Magens Bay

We avoided lunch at the beachside counter, which seemed expensive. Instead we snacked on some breads, pastries, and cereal we grabbed at Topsider that morning. When we got back to the Magic we went to the counters on deck 9 to eat around 3pm.

The second (and final) part is posted as a reply below (post #9) below, and includes my sections on:
  • Castaway Cay
  • Oceaneer Club/Lab
  • Movies
  • Shows
  • Adult Activities
  • Swimming
  • Vista Spa Gym
  • Packing refillable mugs
  • "It's a Small Ship After All"
  • Fish Extender

Also, post #33 (page 3) includes links to the navigators for the week.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic

Last edited by jcarwash; 12-16-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: fixed for clarity
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
kdwebb
Earning My Ears

Yea! A recent eastern on the magic review! We leave in less than 3 weeks - can't wait to hear more from your TR.
kdwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Great start - love reading how others viewed the cruise.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
karajeboo
DISmom by land and by sea!

Craig - so far I agree with you on almost everything!!!

Your family sounds a lot like ours in that sure, things can not be perfect, but stuff happens, right?

As for the wristbands, one CM told me that we could get it on the ship but the line would be REALLY long there, so we waited only about 10 minutes in the terminal. And that was right before we boarded so the line had gotten really long...... But they have it down to a science and the process went really quick.

Cruising
From everything I read, I formed an idea that the ship was so big it was unlikely we'd feel anything or get sick. Well, we didn't get sick, but I must not have read enough because we did feel the movement, and the first night we had to get used to it. I realized that no matter how big, the ship is a vehicle and you're going to feel and hear it moving

I couldn't agree more!!!! I had a rough first night - not "sick" just a bit anxious over the whole idea...... but by Sunday I actually enjoyed the subtle listing.....

Rotational Dining
We thought overall the rotational dining was really, really good. Each night the appetizers, soups/salads, entrees, and desserts were all tasty and satisfying. Sure, some things were better than others, but we did not find that anything was simply bad -- it was all really good food. But I can't say I found much different in the food among the three rotational locations. The theming was slightly different depending on the night, but generally the selections were all of high quality.

Again, I totally agree! We gave it a sold "B" - not what cruising used to be, but not as bad as some have made it out to be. We had the PLAPLAP rotation so we had formal night in Lumiere's and Pirate night in Parrot Cay which was nice. But I also agree about AP - not quite the "show" I was expecting, but still very unique!

Palo
Palo lived up to and exceeded the hype. We went for dinner and felt it was one of the best restaurants in our lifetime. The service was impeccable. Each course was outstanding. The entrees we had were the grilled tuna and the beef tenderloin. It was the best steak I've ever had. And for dessert, the chocolate souffle is amazing. They also helped us celebrate an anniversary with an anniversary message in chocolate and complimentary cocktails. Of course those extras helped encourage us to tip extra on top of the $20 per person. :-)

I had the Sea Bass and I think it might be the best thing I've ever eaten in my entire life!!!! And I also had the Lobster Ravioli, and I ate them both!!!! - one question though. Was the $20 surcharge a tip? We tipped on top of that and had a heck of a time figuring out how to determine the tip......

Great start!!! Looking forward to hearing your take on the rest!!!

Check out my TRs: DISmoms 3! If the Tiara Fits..... May, 2011
The McSparklesons are BACK! And they are CRUISIN! March, 2011
DISmoms Round Two: Don't Axe, Don't Tell May 2010 - A joint TR with my fellow DISmoms!
On the 1st Day of Christmas, Walt Disney Gave to Me...... December 2009; Belly Up at the Dolphin September, 2009 ,
Yes, I AM the Upgrade Queen May, 2009, DISmoms Gone WILD!!!! , May, 2009
A Joint TR with "podsnel" and "Camster0307"

Upgrades, Underwear, and Upside Down Fun - a TR full of "new" adventures! , March, 2009
5/2012 DCL Dream (DISmoms 4) 3/2012 DCL Magic Western Caribbean 12/2011 BWV (Mom/Dad's 50th Anniversary) 5/2011 BWV (DISmoms Gone Wild III) DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean (First family cruise!) 5/2010 BCV (DISmoms Gone Wild Part II) 4/2010 CSR (Mother/Daughter Trip12/2009 VWL (Family Christmas Trip) 9/2009 Dolphin (Mother/Daughter Trip) 8/2009 ASSP (Mothers/Daughters Trip with Neighbors) 5/2009 AKL (DISmoms Gone Wild Trip), 5/2009 AKL (Family Trip), 3/2009 CSR (Mother/Daughter Weekend), 11/2008 CSR (Mother/Daugter Trip), 9/2008 Yacht Club (Anniversary Trip), 5/2008 POP (Grand Gathering),3/2008 POR (P&PP), 5/2006 POP (Family Trip), 5/2000 CSR (Business), 5/1998 BWI (Honeymoon), Multiple offsite adventures!
karajeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Señor DonDuck
DIS Veteran

Great detailed start! Can't wait for the next update.
Señor DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karajeboo View Post
Was the $20 surcharge a tip? We tipped on top of that and had a heck of a time figuring out how to determine the tip......
From what I read here on the DIS the $20 per person is a tip that is broken out among the server and others. We added an additional $10 on top of that.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
doberlady
It just never gets old to me
I adore the obsessiveness of Disney planning

Great report so far!!

Dixie Landings 1993 * Dixie Landings 1997
Dixie Landings 2000 * Old Key West 2002
Old Key West 2005 * Old Key West 2006
Contemporary 2008 * Disney Magic 2009
POR/CR 2010 * Contemporary 2011
Contemporary 2012 * Beach Club CL 2014

doberlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
MellieluvsDisney
I love Orlando

Great report so far. It gives me great tips for our first-time cruise in September aboard the Magic. Thank you!

September 2008: WDW / All Star Movies - September 2009: WDW / Pop Century - September 2010: WDW / Pop Century - September 2011: Eastern Caribbean on the Disney Magic - September 2012: Western Caribbean on the Disney Fantasy

MellieluvsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

First-time cruiser report: Magic Eastern Caribbean, March 26-April 2, 2011 (2 of 2)

Here's the second (and final) part of my trip report from a first-time cruiser perspective.

Castaway Cay
Disney's big finish, at least on the EC and WC itineraries. We were really looking forward to CC and it didn't disappoint. The place was exactly what I had imagined -- like Disney's water parks, but with the beach!

We saw people lined up in the aft stairwell at least an hour before the expected 9:45am release. I was wondering if we were missing out on something by not getting in line, but my son wanted to use the Mickey pool, which he had all to himself.

Castaway Cay as seen from deck 9 on the Magic

Once the announcement came that we could head to CC, there were no chaotic issues at all, although the aft stairwell to deck 1 was busy (the ship was backed in to CC). I wondered if the forward gangway was less busy. (When we returned from CC in the afternoon the forward gangway was not busy at all as compared to the aft gangway.) We got pictures with Chip 'n Dale right near the ship, and we easily found two chairs in the first swimming lagoon area.

Swimming lagoon

First we spent some time as a family in the swimming lagoons and checking out Pelican Plunge. A bit later we headed back a bit near Mount Rustmore and the shopping area and found Mickey all by himself, waiting for pictures. How often does that happen? Also ran into Goofy, same deal, no lines no waiting.

Pelican Plunge

The lunch at Cookies was fantastic -- an extension of the onboard food experience in every way. The ribs were very tasty and the giant cookies were the best DCL cookies of the trip. As mentioned in my first half of the trip report, I brought my own Yuengling in a soft-sided cooler with a bag of ice.

After lunch we took my son to Scuttles Cove, which is the same check-in/check-out as the kids clubs on the ship. He was excited to go. Then my wife and I took the tram out to the adult beach, Serenity Bay, which is aptly name because the beach was literally deserted. There was just a handful of people out there. The water is very shallow way, way out into the sea. My wife plans to bring her snorkel gear next time because she wished she had it on this day.

Serenity Bay with storm clouds looming

Unfortunately a storm came in. You could see all the dark clouds approaching from the distance. The rainfall started slightly but then became torrential. We just missed getting completely soaked and we got back onto the tram. The staff at Scuttle's Cove had herded the kids into one of the covered eating areas so they didn't get wet at all. While many people went back to the ship, we waited out the rain, had more ice cream, and we were able to get a little more swimming and Scuttle's Cove time in. Around 4pm when things were closing and a bit more rain started, we went back to the ship.

One last note on CC, plus any other beach excursions. My son really needed and wanted goggles to help keep the salt water out of his eyes. For some reason we did not pack his goggles, so we bought some at Publix the night before the trip, and we are glad we did. He got a lot of use out of them.

Oceaneer Club/Lab
What can I say about these clubs? The children, including our son, just adore these areas. I think my son had the best time out of the three of us because of the OC and OL. He loved the crafts, the coloring, the cooking school, watching movies, dancing, and the computer games. Plus the big Friendship Rocks stage show with the kids and Mickey and Minnie, in the Walt Disney Theater, was fantastic. We are still singing "We Rock!"

I didn't quite realize that the OC and OL are equally open for all ages 3-12. Kids can ask to go back and forth once they are checked in. The OC is geared more for younger kids and the OL for older kids, but there's no real restriction on either. I thought there would be more of a distinction.

Oceaneer Club

Oceaneer Lab

Movies
Running movies on the ship seems simple but I thought it was a nice activity. At home we have busy work schedules and we don't tend to go to the movies unless it's something really special like Toy Story 3. So on vacation it was fun to watch five movies. As a family we saw Gnomeo and Juliet (cute), Tangled (my son was a little scared), and Toy Story 3 (in 3D, which we didn't see at home). My wife and I went to see Mars Needs Moms while our son was at the club (not a good movie), and I went alone to see Tron: Legacy (which was pretty cool. The movie, not going alone).

Buena Vista Movie Theater

Shows
The nightly shows were a highlight. Our son was rapt watching Twice Charmed, which I thought was the best of the three Broadway-style shows. Villians Tonight! and Disney Dreams: An Enchanted Classic were also very good. We did not see the opening welcome aboard show, but my wife and I did go to the final night variety show and it was a mixed bag. The magician was good, the comic singer had good and bad moments. The snippets of Disney character shows, including an extension of Disney Dreams, were okay.

Adult Activities
Unfortunately for this report I have no comment on the adult nightclubs, as we were in bed "early" every night by 11pm. But we enjoyed the other daytime activities for adults. I took a ship tour led by the ubiquitous crew member TJ (literally the guy showed up everywhere in all kinds of shows and whatever). I thought the tour was fascinating.

My wife and I went to one of the cooking demonstrations by Disney's Hollywood Studios Brown Derby sous chef Russell Palmer, and we wished we had gone to all of them.

We also used the adult pool and hot tub and that whole adult area, on a sea day, was not busy at all.

The main thing I really enjoyed, although certainly open to families and not just adults, was the two talks by Pixar's director of Toy Story 3, Lee Unkrich. I thought it was a real treat to get all kinds of inside information about how Toy Story 3 was made, and for him to share material never seen outside of Pixar. He was very generous in the second session with his Q&A, and I liked how he made sure to alternate between questions from kids and questions from adults. In addition a long line of people waited for his autograph and he was gracious to everyone. Plus he let each person hold the Oscar while posing for pictures. (I've now been asked twice so far at work if it was the actual Oscar.) When I booked the cruise I had no idea this kind of program was offered, and I think it was a big highlight because I'm such a fan of all Pixar's work.

Toy Story 3 director Lee Unkrich

Swimming
Before the cruise I'd seen pictures and videos of the Mickey and Goofy pools packed with swimmers, like a sea of bodies, and expected that level of activity. Certainly on sea day afternoons the Mickey pool was very busy and the water was getting, well, a little cloudy, but my son could still get in and enjoy himself. In general we spent a lot more time at the pools than I expected. I thought we'd need to get into the pool first thing upon boarding, and otherwise it would be too busy. It wasn't.

Mickey pool before everyone boarded

Vista Spa Gym
Okay so my wife and I each visited the gym to workout -- once. We would have gone more but it got busier as the week went on (you believe me, right?). But it's worth visiting the gym just for the view alone. You're way up front above the bridge. I got on a machine right up against the windows and the panoramic view was stunning.

We didn't use the Vista Spa itself, so I can't tell you anything about that. The staff was nice giving me directions to the gym, anyway.

Packing refillable mugs
On the DIS I read a lot of posts saying the cups at the deck 9 drink dispensers were small, so bring your own larger refillable mugs. So I packed our set of three red Celebrate Today refill mugs from our last trip to WDW.

Here's what I learned -- I won't bring them again because:
1. We don't need as much to drink on the ship as we do in September at WDW. Plus you're getting other beverages at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So the paper cups were just fine for our family when we used the deck 9 station.
2. At a WDW resort, usually the walk to get a drink is a lot longer than the walk to deck 9. If we really did need more to drink, it was not a big deal to just run back up to deck 9 from anywhere on the ship. We were up there a lot anyway using the Mickey pool.
3. The WDW refill mugs are, uh, about the same size as the DCL cups. Per the guidelines I filled a paper cup and poured the drink into my refill mug, and it pretty much filled it. So if you really do want to bring your own cups because you think the DCL cups may be too small, bring something bigger than the WDW mugs.

"It's a Small Ship After All"
One thing I didn't expect at all is my observation that 2400 passengers and 1000 crew is actually not a lot of people, in the sense that you're all on this one ship together, and really the ship is not that big.

You keep meeting and seeing the same families as you eat, do activities, go to shows, etc., and the same goes for the crew. As I mentioned above, you keep seeing entertainers like TJ in all the shows, dance parties, family game shows, etc., as the week goes on.

The relative smallness also contributed to our enjoyment of the Pirates IN the Caribbean party. We did not go up to deck 9 until about 10-15 before the party, and I expected the deck to be jammed. Instead, we walked right up to the rope in front of the stage. My realization is that unlike Disney World, there's no more people crowding onto the ship for special events like the pirate party. It's the same 2400 guests, some of whom will attend and some of whom will not, and the ship is built to accommodate that many guests.

Mickey flies during Pirates IN the Caribbean party

My same "smallness" observation applies to Castaway Cay -- there was plenty, and I mean plenty, of room for everyone to enjoy themselves. It's this kind of exclusivity that helps justify the cost of DCL cruising. There's never going to be more people on the ship, and depending on what you do (like don't do an excursion or do a short one) there may actually be fewer people on the ship.

Fish Extender
Finally, we really enjoyed the Fish Extender "program." It was fun getting to know people online before the cruise, and then having our DIS meet in the Promenade Lounge before sailing. We enjoyed roaming the ship delivering our goodies, and my son loved coming back to the stateroom each day and poking each pocket of our Fish Extender, seeing if anything had been delivered.

Here's our homemade FE. My wife used old t-shirts for the Mickey pockets, and the red and yellow Mickey faces are balloon weights from Disney's All Star Sports resort:

I highly recommend seeking out your cruise meet thread, or starting one, and getting an FE organized.

The only "bad" thing that happened FE-wise was someone decided to use ours as a trash can one night, and stuffed their empty soda cup in there. (I assume that wasn't an intended gift, right?)

Here's a picture of nearly all the FE gifts we received, minus all the great magnets that were still on our stateroom door, and some last day gifts that came post-photo:

THE END...but also, post #33 (page 3) includes links to the navigators for the week.

Last edited by jcarwash; 05-04-2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdwebb View Post
Yea! A recent eastern on the magic review! We leave in less than 3 weeks - can't wait to hear more from your TR.
Thanks! I'm so glad to post this for you.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor DonDuck View Post
Great detailed start! Can't wait for the next update.
You're welcome! I like your profile pic too. Donald Duck is our family favorite.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberlady View Post
Great report so far!!
Thanks!! I had a lot of fun putting it all together.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellieluvsDisney View Post
Great report so far. It gives me great tips for our first-time cruise in September aboard the Magic. Thank you!
I'm so glad you're getting some tips out of the report. I hoped I could capture some things for the next first-time cruiser like yourself.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #14
randomiam79
Mouseketeer

Thanks for posting this TR. We leave on the Magic SATURDAY and couldn't be any more excited!!
randomiam79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
MellieluvsDisney
I love Orlando

Thanks! Great report! Great tips!

September 2008: WDW / All Star Movies - September 2009: WDW / Pop Century - September 2010: WDW / Pop Century - September 2011: Eastern Caribbean on the Disney Magic - September 2012: Western Caribbean on the Disney Fantasy

MellieluvsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: