Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
kaytieedid
Mouseketeer

Swan/Dolphin magical express

I know there is Disney transportation provided between the Swan/Dolphin and the parks, but is magical express included too? Or do we have to use another carrier and pay a fee?
thanks!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Magical Express is only offered to guests of Disney-owned resorts, so no, Swan & Dolphin guests aren't eligible. You would need to find your own transportation from the airport to the resort.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieedid View Post
I know there is Disney transportation provided between the Swan/Dolphin and the parks, but is magical express included too? Or do we have to use another carrier and pay a fee?
thanks!
It is not included. You can contact Mears and pay for transportation, they may put you on a ME bus since they operate those. You would not be able to use the luggage service.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Rental car, town car, taxi or Mears shuttle are your options.

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
It is not included. You can contact Mears and pay for transportation, they may put you on a ME bus since they operate those. You would not be able to use the luggage service.
Doesn't seem to happen very often anymore. When I took the Mears bus to the Dolphin, I jokingly asked if they were going to put me on the YC/BC DME bus. The Mears lady looked at me, as if I had said something blasphemous, and said...'DME buses are for Disney owned resorts..not for the Swan or Dolphin or any other regular hotel!!!'

It is pretty reasonable to take the Mears shuttle if there are only two-three people...it's something like $32 pp, r/t. But if you have more than that, it's going to be cheaper to have a car service transport you....as well as much nicer.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Doesn't seem to happen very often anymore. When I took the Mears bus to the Dolphin, I jokingly asked if they were going to put me on the YC/BC DME bus. The Mears lady looked at me, as if I had said something blasphemous, and said...'DME buses are for Disney owned resorts..not for the Swan or Dolphin or any other regular hotel!!!'

It is pretty reasonable to take the Mears shuttle if there are only two-three people...it's something like $32 pp, r/t. But if you have more than that, it's going to be cheaper to have a car service transport you....as well as much nicer.
I had to chuckle because I just took Mears to Dolphin last month & asked the same thing & they looked at me like I had 2 heads. I don't think it's standard practice anymore to be added to the ME bus!

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
kapoof
DIS Veteran

fl tours limo service is right here on the dis..we have used them twice and found them to be very good. mears might be cheaper but you do run the risk of driving around orlando quite a bit for other riders.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
Scott MC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
It's this attitude that really grinds my gears.

The S and D are on Disney property, are nestled among very popular Disney resorts, (BWI, BC, YC), are very posh, very beautiful and frequently run much cheaper than Disney deluxe resorts. There seems to be this attitude of treating the S and D like some b-----d child that no one wants to admit exists. I don't quite know how else to put it into words, but it's like Disney really hates that the 2 resorts are sitting there, and wants the world to ignore them. Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't Disney getting a cut of the revenue? Isn't Disney getting moolah from those guests buying park tickets, and souvenirs, and expensive breakfasts and CRT and fancy dinners and V&A's?
This year, we booked a week at the Boardwalk, which we're over-the-moon excited about, but we were even more excited to find a great rate for the Swan on Priceline and because of this, and because of the great price (insanely cheaper than BWI), we were able to come down to Disney 2 days early and...well...that's just magical! What wasn't so magical was finding out that we were denied ME service because of this change to our schedule. We really look forward to it and were very disappointed in the "NO MAGICAL EXPRESS FOR THE SWAN AND DOLPHIN!" policy. I even called and tried to say that since we've booked a week at the Boardwalk, we'd be willing to be dropped off at the Boardwalk, and we'd schlep our own luggage over to the Swan. The CM I spoke to was polite, but curt and emphatic about this being an absolute "No!" When I pointed out that my package at the BWI included Magical Express service, she suggested that after I was done at the Swan..I could taxi back to MCO and ME would be glad to bring me to the BWI from there.

As Charlie Brown would say...."Sheesh!"
Old 07-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Scott MC: hey SoG is unloved too and it used to BE a Disney resort! heheh
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
lilsydney
Mouseketeer

I had booked Mears shuttle for the four us arriving at the Swan tomorrow a.m. but found an AMAZING deal with Florida Town Car. Private town car with door to door service (sign at baggage when you land!) for $85!!! well worth it for sure
3rd Time- Aug 1-5 2011 Swan

I got BOO'd!!!

http://schultzfamilydisneyadventures.shutterfly.com/
lilsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:15 AM   #11
Scrubba2
Mouseketeer

Scott MC: One more night on the Boardwalk resort area almost equals the cost of your own transportation. Then it's a cheap taxi or an easy walk to the Swan/Dolphin in the a.m.! We have done a few split stays along the boardwalk. It is a little bumpy tho for the luggage, but a good reason to add another night! Just sayin
Scrubba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Stopping at Swan/Dolphin for Mears' regular shuttle guests would be a crimp in the Magical Express route because it is "another stop". But since DME and Disney Cruise Line guests may be commingled and S/D handles DCL guests, a DME bus may go to S/D.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Disney wants to be able to offer 'perks' for their own resorts. And this is how they do it. Stay at a WDW owned resort and get free DME and use of the dining plan.
The way I figure it, the S/D are lucky they get to pay to use the resort to park buses. I love staying at the Dolphin...one of my favorite spots to stay. But, if I rent a car, I have to pay to park it there. And I have to pay an addtl 'resort fee' on top of my quoted price. It drives me nutty.

But, since Disney doesn't own these hotels, the hotel guests don't get all the same perks the Disney owned resorts get.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

S/D frequently offers lower room rates the Disney run resorts in the EPCOT resort area. Unlike Disney resorts S/D charges guests for parking and charges a resort fee.

I doubt S/D has any interest in increasing room rates in order to pay Disney for DME nor do I think S/D has any interest in increasing room rates in order to set up their own system.

Guests staying at the S/D have to consider the resort fees, parking fees and cost for airport transfers when evaluating the room rate.

The CM told you the policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott MC View Post
It's this attitude that really grinds my gears.

The S and D are on Disney property, are nestled among very popular Disney resorts, (BWI, BC, YC), are very posh, very beautiful and frequently run much cheaper than Disney deluxe resorts. There seems to be this attitude of treating the S and D like some b-----d child that no one wants to admit exists. I don't quite know how else to put it into words, but it's like Disney really hates that the 2 resorts are sitting there, and wants the world to ignore them. Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't Disney getting a cut of the revenue? Isn't Disney getting moolah from those guests buying park tickets, and souvenirs, and expensive breakfasts and CRT and fancy dinners and V&A's?
This year, we booked a week at the Boardwalk, which we're over-the-moon excited about, but we were even more excited to find a great rate for the Swan on Priceline and because of this, and because of the great price (insanely cheaper than BWI), we were able to come down to Disney 2 days early and...well...that's just magical! What wasn't so magical was finding out that we were denied ME service because of this change to our schedule. We really look forward to it and were very disappointed in the "NO MAGICAL EXPRESS FOR THE SWAN AND DOLPHIN!" policy. I even called and tried to say that since we've booked a week at the Boardwalk, we'd be willing to be dropped off at the Boardwalk, and we'd schlep our own luggage over to the Swan. The CM I spoke to was polite, but curt and emphatic about this being an absolute "No!" When I pointed out that my package at the BWI included Magical Express service, she suggested that after I was done at the Swan..I could taxi back to MCO and ME would be glad to bring me to the BWI from there.

As Charlie Brown would say...."Sheesh!"
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #15
mlittig
DIS Veteran

I have priced the Swan/Dolphin because I can get the teacher rate but it really irritates me that they have the resort fee, water bottle fee, parking fee when I don't even have a car Adding all that in on top on no Magic Express makes it not such a great deal after all

5/87 Polynesian 5/90 Polynesian 12/02 Off site 8/08 French Quarter 6/09 French Quarter 8/09 All Star Sports 4/10 French Quarter 12/10 Old Key West 4/11 Old Key West 8/11 Pop 9/11 Pop 4/12 Old Key West 8/12 Old Key West 4/13 Old Key West 8/13 Old Key West 4/14 Old Key West 8/14 Old Key West 4/17/15 Old Key West
mlittig is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: