Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 AM   #16
TheColtonsMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Did he study pennies? Mine has, and builds the lincoln memorial out of legos and it's his favorite President. DS also wants to know if I went to Monticello.

He did and now he wants all my pennies AND $5 bills! I have yet to have to build the lincoln memorial from legos (but we did model paint 200 legos battleship gray after school yesterday for that other lego project we discussed) Did you get a pic of his Lincoln Memorial? Colton would love to see that! (of course then he will have to build it) I think the boys will get on famously if we pull of that camping trip this summer LOL

My 2010 Christmas TR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2613318
My 2011 Halloween PTR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....613318&page=29
Me Sherri , DH Brant ,DS6Colton
TheColtonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #17
funatdisney
Disneyland, DH and my horses have a soothing effect on my soul, and always brings a smile on my face.

I am going to go out of sequence and do a trip report of my time I spent at Disneyland yesterday. Some of you may be curious what it was like the week before Easter.

My day trip was a half day trip. My sole purpose for my trip was to buy the Alice in Wonderland Piece of Disney Movies pin. This is the fourth pin in this series. I have the second (Bambi) and the third (Cinderella), but missed the first one (Snow White). My plan was to get to the park before it opened, rush to Little Green Men Command shop and buy two pins. These pins are unique, because each pin has one frame from the movie featured for that month. Each pin is different, and they usually pick a scene from the movie featured for the pins. Not knowing which scene the pins would feature, meant that the sooner one gets to the pin store, the better selection one has. Sometimes the frames will have part of a character cut off or the frame doesn't have interesting characters in it. So it was important for me to get there as soon as possible.

I managed to arrive at 7:15am (as my trusty Sprint Navigation app predicted – I love that app). I headed to the LGCS, and bought two pins. The scene frames were from the tea party. Excellent and most were good shots. I got a frame of the Mad Hatter excepting a cake from Alice (you could only see her hands, but the Mad Hatter and the cake was in full view), and one of Alice holding the cake (before she gives it to the Mad Hatter) Nice picks if you ask me.

Next, I headed over to Westward Ho Trading Co. to pick up two more. This time I found the mouse floating down with his umbrella (he lands in the tea cup) and another one of the Mad Hatter. I went outside to the trading tables to talk to some traders. I continued on to the Main Street shops to trade with CMs. Remember this is a pin trading trip, but I did take my camera and took a few pictures.

What stuck me most about the park was the feeling of spring. Flowers in bloom, the green grass and blue skies with billowing clouds all spoke to me of spring. I was moved to take landscape shots and Disneyland in the Spring shots. So here you go:

The ducklings were on their own. No momma in sight.

I also took two waterfall/streams shots. Can you guess where the second picture was taken?

The crowd level was light in the morning. It drizzled so much everything was wet. At about 10 am or so, the drizzling stopped, sun came out, and so did the crowds. By noon it got to feel like it was a holiday week in DL. Here is crowd shot I took in what I call “The Indiana Corridor”. It got much heavier later in the day.

Two treats that caught my eye. I just love how the caramel looks like honey oozing out of the honey pot.

Cute Easter Bunny.

I ate lunch at the French Market and was able to get the 25% coupon from the bottom of one my receipts from my pin purchases. The coupon was also on the entertainment schedules you pick up when you first enter the park. I guess the coupons offered this week were the same type offered during Christmas last year and worked the same way. The coupons were good for 25% off if you ate between 11:00 and 11:30am and 3pm to 4:30 pm with a purchase of an entree. They were only good at some DL restaurants. None of the restaurants listed were in DCA.

Some planters. I like taking these because they are lovely and sometimes they change them out for the season.

And my favorite picture of the day:

Almost a picture postcard.

I ended up leaving at 3pm. I had originally planned on leaving at noon, but I wanted to stick around for the 1:30 to 3:30 CM trading at Westward Ho Co. I called DH and asked what was on his schedule and if I could stay longer than planned. If he had a meeting, he wouldn't be able to finish in time to pick up the girls. His schedule was clear and he didn't mind picking up the kids. He said to go ahead and stay. After all, I had already spent the gas to get down there. I married a winner, girls! Speaking of gas, it is getting very expensive to take these day trips. Soon it is going to hurt and I will have to curb the number of day trips down a bit.

So off I went to Westward Ho to look at some private collections and get more info on the pin trading world. When attending the Westward Ho CM trading times, I have been able to complete some of my hidden mickey pins series. For this trading experience, two CMS brings out one book each, and guests are allowed to trade up to two pins with each CM. There is a line, but it is worth the wait. I got two Christmas pins I have been looking for and two hidden mickey pins. Overall, I had a great time trading with the CMS in Disneyland. Usually, I do lots of trading with the hotel, shop and DVC CMS with great success. This time, the CMS in Disneyland that I met were into pin trading and I had a grand time talking pins and gabbing about this and that.

I wasn't looking to the drive home. Remember how I hate traffic? Well I knew I would run into traffic for sure with a 3pm departure time. I checked my wonderful Sprint app and it told me I had a two hour drive time. Not bad. I decided to leave. I got home at 5 pm and the traffic wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. And so ends another day trip to Disneyland 2011.

I will write about the trip I took two weeks before this one. On that trip, I was on my own, but my DD(15) and her friend went with me. I was basically the ride, which was fine with me. That TR will include my adventures of pin trading, a food review from the Hungry Bear Restaurant, and a rainbow.

DVC member since 2007; SSR and VGC.

funatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #18
6Smiles
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a wonderful, calm, and peaceful day. I adore the pictures you were able to take. How lucky to get to go to DLR so often and for these dreadful gas prices. I would think the travel costs increasing might motivate the Disneyland Powers that be to rolling out an incentive to help out of town consumers. (sorry for getting OT). I would love to see the pins you got today if you'd like to share.

Kris
6Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #19
funatdisney
Disneyland, DH and my horses have a soothing effect on my soul, and always brings a smile on my face.

6Smiles, I plan on taking some pictures of the Alice pins, once I figure out how to beam a light behind them the right way so the picture frames are seen. I really like the ones I got. Later in the morning. most of the pins with Alice and the Mad Hatter were sold. I also got a "Opening Soon" Goofy Sky School pin.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #20
6Smiles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatdisney View Post
6Smiles, I plan on taking some pictures of the Alice pins, once I figure out how to beam a light behind them the right way so the picture frames are seen. I really like the ones I got. Later in the morning. most of the pins with Alice and the Mad Hatter were sold. I also got a "Opening Soon" Goofy Sky School pin.
The opening soon Goofy Sky school pin sounds awesome. I'll be checking back to see your pins.

Kris
Old 04-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #21
funatdisney

Kris, here are my pics of the Goofy Sky School Opening pin. It has a limited Edition of 1000.

The propeller spins. It is a cuter pin than what was pictured on the Disney Pin site.

They also had an open stock pin that is the cutest! I like how the plane swings back and forth. I like it better than the limited edition pin.

I was able to get some good shots of the Alice pin (Thank you DD(15)!). I will post those a little later.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #22
funatdisney

Here are my pictures of the Alice in Wonderland Piece of Disney Film pins I bought. The scene chosen for this edition was the tea party.

Here is how the pin is packaged.

The rest of the pins pictured are a bit large, so you can see the frames better.

Pin #1 Alice holding a cake.

Pin #2 The door mouse floating down towards a tea pot. This frame has the mouse in mid-air with the umbrella and fireworks around him, I think. I really should refresh my memory and watch the film before I purchase.

Pin #3 The Mad Hatter and the cake Alice is holding in pin #1.

I bought 6 pins. I know we were suppose to get only two, and I had originally got four. The last two have story behind it, and since this is my TR, so I'm gonna tell it.

After buying my pins and pin trading with CMs, I went into the Emporium to trade with CMs there. I ran into a very friendly lead CM, and he asked if I had bought the Alice pins. I said, “ Yes. I did and was very pleased with what I got. Although I had heard that most of the Alice and Mad Hatter frames were gone by now. Everyone wanted a pin with either Alice or the Mad Hatter.” He said that he just brought down a few Alice pins for behind the registers. I didn't even know that they sold these pins in the Emporium. He wanted me to have a look. When we reached the counter, the CM behind the counter took out the pins. The three of us looked at about 8 pins together. Among the eight, I found 2 great looking pins. We were all in agreement that the two pins that I liked were unusual and quite interesting. I was telling them that I had seen the pins with the frames surrounding these two frames earlier in the day. I remarked how these pins were the best of those scenes selected that I saw. The lead CM had a big smile on his face and asked me if he a good selection. I definitely agreed. He said, "I guess you are going to buy them." "Of course", I said. And I bought the two mentioned above.

Pin #4 Fireworks bursting. Other pins I had seen with this particular scene had either the fireworks streaming upwards or just about to burst. They were not the best frames and were not interesting selections. None of the pins I saw earlier had bursting fireworks fill the entire frame.

And pin #5. My favorite. The Mad Hatter about to lick his finger topped with frosting from the cake Alice offered him.

I like this pin because it tells a story, and the Mad Hatter's face is just precious. It must be what I look like just before I take a bite of a cake.

Next month: The Jungle Book. One of my favorite childhood movies.

Last edited by funatdisney; 04-25-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:03 AM   #23
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

I am so Jealous that you get to take Day trips!

I love your Alice Pins! I am considering getting into pin trading but not for any particular collections just to get ones I like!
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #24
funatdisney

Paula, thanks for reading my TR. I feel very lucky and blessed that I can take day trips. To me, every trip is a gift.

As stated in my opening post, my day trips have been drastically cut from my average in the last few years. Another victim of the recession. But there other things that get in the way. Schedules, obligations, family emergencies, business and a diversity of reasons I haven't encountered yet. So each trip is deeply appreciated.

I should place a warning about pin trading here. Be careful - it is addicting! But in a good way. I noticed you are from San Jose. One of things I love to do when pin trading is to talk to other traders. I like to know their experiences and how they got into pin trading. I also learn a lot about the pin trading world this way. One of things I just learn last week was about a pin trading group that meets somewhere in Northern California. I thought how cool to be able to trade while living so far away from DL. The pin trader said that there are about 30 traders that consistently meet on a monthly basis. That is a good number of attendees. I want to go myself. I don't usually try to complete my collections by purchasing from Disney. I just thought this one was special and wanted to try to get all of them.

Be sure to visit the pin trading tables out of Westward Ho Trading Co to talk to traders and take a look at their collections when you go in June. I have posted some of my experiences of pin trading in DL in this thread Pin trading at Disneyland? . There is lots of information on pin trading in that short 5 page thread. That is if you don't know a lot already.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #25
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

I don't know ANYTHING about Pin Trading! All I know is I see lots of cute pins and want some LOL!
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #26
funatdisney

That is how we all start. We like a particular pin or we get one to remember our Disney trip and then, to our astonishment and before we know it, we have a 100 pins. How did that happen?

Actually, in my case, I was really into buying the pins. I must have started buying pins in 2000 (I have one pin I know I bought in WDW that was issued in 1999 - I was in WDW in 2000). I stopped in 2005. I didn't trade, only purchased my pins. Last December, I got back into pins when my DD(13) started. I discovered the hidden mickey cast member's pins, and that's all she wrote. I was a goner. But this time, I want to trade. I have found it fun to trade with the cast members. They are very approachable and we are encouraged to trade with them. I would start there. Get a few inexpensive pins (like with sets that have five or more pins and the cost per pin goes down) and start trading with the CMs. Just to get your feet wet. You will discover how much fun it is.

Last edited by funatdisney; 04-24-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #27
6Smiles
DIS Veteran

Liza -

I absolutely love those pins. Goofy flying is priceless and reminds me of when I was a little girl and loved to watch snoopy and the red baron! The mad hatter swiping cake is fantastic. Lucky you. Can't wait to read more about your adventures. Happy Easter!

Kris
Old 04-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #28
funatdisney

Thanks Kris.

Now that you mentioned it, the Goofy pin does remind of Snoopy as the Red Baron. Now I like it more.

Happy Easter to you, too.

Back to the grind tomorrow.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 AM   #29
Daisybelle
You don't have to go fast, you just have to go

What fun! I loved reading about your (1/2) day trip.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #30
funatdisney

Thanks, and welcome to my trip report Daisybelle!

I am so glad you find my little adventures at DL good reading. I am going to start writing and organizing my thoughts on a day trip I took two weeks ago with my high school DD and her friend tomorrow. Good thing I took pictures that day. It helps remind what I did!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: