Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #76
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I also wanted to add that Pop does supply a shampoo in your room. So you were jipped...sort of. It's a shampoo/conditioner combo and it's pure crap
Old 04-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #77
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

What a good surprise you two did!!! LOL!! Aren't the suprises the BEST!!!? I love when you told them today is some day!! The girls are precious as always!!
I can tell you have lost weight too!! Good for you!!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #78
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Love the video of the surprise, put a great big smile on my face! And I must say, I love listening to you guys talk, reminds me of 'home'. My parents were both born and raised in Minnesota and I spent every summer vacation there as a kid visiting relatives. In fact I'm going up next month for my cousin's high school graduation

I'm a little worried that you might have left something important in the room......
Oh thanks! I definitely have the Minnesota "O" accent going on, although I'm not as strong as some here. (mostly the Scandinavians!) I'm glad you get to come back soon - I hope we have good weather for you! Where about will you be??
No, nothing left in the room...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
I caught up just at the right time!
First of all, all of that rain on your trip down.... UGH!
Next I can't wait for our drink of OJ at the welcome center!!
Lastly the video, You look terrific! The surprise turned out just perfect!
I'm anxious to read more!
Whew, I wouldn't want you to fall too far behind the group! Thanks, it was fun surprising them, but difficult too. After the trip I told Sarah there were so many times I just wanted to ask if she'd want this or that. Had to tell a lot of little fibs in the process. She forgave me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
I was thinking the same thing too....
[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]It really wasn't THAT horrible. [/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Disney Girl View Post
LOVE the video!!! Sarah's little dance was just so adorable!!! What a surprise filled trip you had!!! Hope that the rain lets up for you at some point!!! Can't wait to read more!!!
I'll let you know now, that weather did NOT cause us any trouble the rest of the trip. Sarah was just so funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTwinsMom View Post
Great start to your TR! I loved the surprise video. It's so fun to watch the kids faces as they figure it out.

Sounds like you made good time on the drive despite the rainy weather. I would have had a hard time sleeping while DH drove through bad weather too. I always feel better with another set of eyes on the road.

Love the Mauer jersey too! We have a Mauer fan and a Morneau fan at our house. Hope the jersey and your families presence brings our struggling team a little luck. I know it's early in the season and we already lost our 2nd baseman, but come on guys! It's never easy to be a Minnesota sports fans. . .

Looking forward to your first impressions of the Dream.
It seemed to take them a minute to grasp the idea, didn't it? I have a Mauer fan and a Cuddyer fan. It's a lot harder to find the Cuddyer jersey in kid sizes, but I'm looking. It is tough to be a MN sports fan!! They'll come around (I hope) We went to a game on Saturday night and it was windy and so hard to watch them lose. Again.
The Dream is coming up today!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
What an icky, rainy day at Pop, but I love the girls' reactions to going on the Dream (and how they were trying to figure out what the surprise was before)! Great reveal!!! Sarah made me laugh putting the pillowcase on her head -- that's something Chelsea would do!
Yeah, the rain wasn't great, but it didn't kill our excitement!!! Sarah is such a goofball!! I think they just didn't know what to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monny2AE View Post
Catching up on your loooooooong drive! Those gas prices made me cringe! Glad it went smoothly though despite the rain!

Love the surprise, especially when they start singing that they're going on the Disney Dream...too cute!
Yeah, that was a long night and day!! They were really funny! I wanted to jump up and down with them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdisneymom View Post
Boy, I am behind. Love the surprise for the girls. You could tell they were sooooo excited and happy. I wish I could keep a secret and surprise DS like that!

Pop looks like so much fun. I would like to stay there sometime.

Yikes, $37 for a meal! I just ran the numbers for our summer trip and eventually decided to do the dining plan. Food can be outrageous at Disney.

Too bad about driving in the rain, but so glad you hit Florida sun!

Can't wait to read more.

Erika
It was really hard to keep the secret. I don't know how some people do it for a year! I think Pop is a fun place. The whole atmosphere just screams "FUN". It was a bit crazy/hectic at some points, but if you like the energy, it would be perfect. Dave was not all that excited about it. He has gotten spoiled with the Deluxes and DVC resorts now!
The nice thing about the Dining Plan is that you don't have the surprises - it's paid for, you can order a big expensive steak, or a basic burger. I don't like to worry too much about every last penny and breaking even, but that food court dinner was ridiculous! That one meal was almost the cost of one day for an adult on the DDP!
More will be coming today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3babes View Post
Aw, look at how happy those girls were!! Today is "some day". I love that Sheree. What wonderful parents you and Dave are.
Aww, thank you so much. That's very kind of you! I have contemplated sending the video to Disney for the Let the Memories Begin campaign, but decided against it. I doubt I'll get anything in return, and it is just free advertising for them! I do enough of that anyway! Although it would be cool to see my kids on the commercials!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
What a great surprise!
The pillowcases and FE are so cute.
Yeah it was fun! Thank you - they are from a seller on Etsy who was just wonderful! If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll pass on the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping*Beauty View Post
Can't wait to hear about your big suprise trip!
It was just a fabulous trip - we had a lot of fun. I just wish the cruise was a few days longer!
Maybe another time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmbyck View Post
Yours is the first dream TR I've read so I am super excited to follow along. We landed in that rain on the 10th so pretty sure I know how your weather was. Guess you would have been back at the world when we were.

Can't wait for more pics.
I hope to give you lots of good info and pictures from the ship! We were at the world from 3-13 - 18. We may have crossed paths! There were enough people there for sure!!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #79
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Sheree - You guys are amazing. Driving 24 hours straight! I don't think I could do that. I also hate driving in the rain and the dark. Isn't getter older great? I blame my dark & rain aversion to my aging eyes. I wonder what I'm going to be like 10 years from now.

What a lovely video of the girls. .... "I'm going on the Disney Dream"...... WOOT! That brought a huge smile to my face! Loved it!

I can't wait to see that boat! I hope you have an uneventful arrival and check-in!
It really was all Dave. I would have stopped if he weren't with me. But we had to get to WDW by Wed. night, so we soldiered on!
It is really fun to watch the video again and again. I'm glad I was able to make you smile. Although I hate listening to my own voice. It sounds different to me and I like the one I hear in my head when I'm talking better! KWIM?
The boat will be coming up this afternoon. After replies, I've got to run for a bit and I'll be back! Promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_reile View Post
just found your report. we are thinking of driving from Ohio to WDW in Nov 2012 and staying at Fort Wilderness with my inlaws big 5th wheel camper! I have NEVER drove to WDW so that should be interesting for me...but I'm really excited about taking a bunch of stuff with us and possibly the dog too instead of limiting what I can take when flying!

Can't wait to hear about the Dream. I want to do a disney cruise when DS is older (he's only 2.5 yrs now)
Wow! Driving a big 5th wheel? That's gutsy! Driving a car or van is enough for me. It really isn't that bad if you plan well and bring things to keep everyone occupied. No one wants to hear "I'm bored" or "are we there yet" every 20 minutes when you have 20 hours to drive! It's nice to be able to bring extra "stuff" that you can't fit on a plane.
The Dream, in a word, is AWESOME! I recommend EVERYONE get to go someday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejellyshelly View Post
Love to hear more about your wonderful trip.
Coming up!! I'm excited to tell all the great stories! We really had a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfolks View Post
Subscribing. Can't wait to read more!!
I will provide more soon! I'm sure everyone is anxious to see the ship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
That is a nice view.
We love Pop, as you may already know.
It's neat to be able to watch the Animation Suites go up across the lake, too.

Too bad about the rain, but at least you weren't getting on a bus to go to a park in it. Hopefully, you were driving out of it as you went toward the ship.

Never having been on a cruise, I look forward to your pictures.
Yes, you are the Queens of POP! I'll be curious about those suites when they open. The rain didn't really phase us too much, but we were thinking, it seems every time we go on a ship, there is rain to start our journey!
The pictures probably won't do it justice, but I'll try! There was just so much to see!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyWife View Post
great job surprising the girls! Can't wait to hear more
Thanks! It was fun - more is coming along shortly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
What a wonderful video of the surprise! I love how it takes a minute to dawn on them. We had rain on our port day as well....and it never went away till late at night.
I also was rushed a lot and left/lost a few things in my haste. I am kicking myself now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I also wanted to add that Pop does supply a shampoo in your room. So you were jipped...sort of. It's a shampoo/conditioner combo and it's pure crap
Yeah, the reaction is why I keep watching the video. That may have been the ONLY thing we videotaped the whole trip!
I just hate being rushed for anything - it always leads to trouble later!
Dang rain! It can be such a pain. I hope it didn't take away too much of your trip. Are you doing a TR? I have been looking at all your cruise pics on FB- your daughter is adorable!

Yeah, I didn't really WANT the shampoo, it was just the principle of the thing. It was supposed to be there, and it wasn't. So I feel a little jipped, but it wasn't the worst thing. It did make me think perhaps the service was a bit lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3 View Post
What a good surprise you two did!!! LOL!! Aren't the suprises the BEST!!!? I love when you told them today is some day!! The girls are precious as always!!
I can tell you have lost weight too!! Good for you!!!
Shawna - it was so much fun! Thank you - Of course after the cruise and the parks, the weight is creeping back on. I need to get out and walk. So glad it's spring finally!!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #80
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Oh thanks! I definitely have the Minnesota "O" accent going on, although I'm not as strong as some here. (mostly the Scandinavians!) I'm glad you get to come back soon - I hope we have good weather for you! Where about will you be??
They live in a small town in the SW part of the state, about an hour and a half from Sioux Falls, SD. I guess the closest decent sized town to them is Marshall. I hope the weather is nice too! I've gotten used to warmer weather already here, it's been in the 80s for most of the past 2 weeks.

Quote:

No, nothing left in the room...
Well thats good, I hope.....

Also, I forgot to mention before, my youngest son is a catcher and he LOVES Joe Mauer! He would be quite jealous of Sarah's jersey.

Last edited by SoonerGirl; 04-13-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #81
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
They live in a small town in the SW part of the state, about an hour and a half from Sioux Falls, SD. I guess the closest decent sized town to them is Marshall. I hope the weather is nice too! I've gotten used to warmer weather already here, it's been in the 80s for most of the past 2 weeks.

Well thats good, I hope.....

Also, I forgot to mention before, my youngest son is a catcher and he LOVES Joe Mauer! He would be quite jealous of Sarah's jersey.
Ah, Marshall! I have a friend from law school from that neck of the woods. I was born and lived in New Ulm until I was 9.

We could manage to find him a Mauer jersey if you want. We have partial season tickets and get a discount on stuff at the pro shop. Something to think about. Although you can find Mauer jerseys at every Target store around here too.
Was it you that has a son that's a big Percy Harvin fan? I remember someone talking about him in a past TR. I'm so confused with people lately!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #82
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Bon Voyage!!!

I found a couple more pictures from our drive down that were in my phone.

Okay, so we are driving in the rain toward Port Canaveral!!!
We cross the bridge and are looking a bit to the left and what do we see????

Can you make it out?

Is it there??

I think I see the stacks!

Oh yeah!! That's her all right!!

We are almost there!!!!

We drive around to the port and are directed by some staff to the drop off location by the terminal. We show our ids and are waved along.
Dave drops us off on the curb and after I determine we have the right luggage (remember I packed the cruise bags separately) we put the luggage tags on them (3 bags) for our stateroom, leave them with a porter (and tip him) and the girls and I head into the terminal. Dave goes to park the car and he has to meet us later.
We go through a metal detector and scanner for our carry on bags just like at the airport. Then it's up the escalator!! At the top is a big model of the cruise ship and either Mickey or Minnie posing for pictures. We don't wait in line for that, but head right to the check in for Castaway Club members! Oh yeah, we're special!!! Us and a gazillion others - it just means we have been on a Disney Cruise before and there is a separate line for us!
I check us in after waiting maybe for one person! It took all of about 9 minutes. They gave us our boarding pass # (9) and our Silver Castaway Club lanyards (we now have two sets!). On DCL you are a silver member until you have cruised more than 5 times. Then you move up to gold (and get gold lanyards for another 5 cruises!). Someday we would love to be Platinum members!!! I think that's for over 10 cruises.

So we decide we'll go get the kids all checked in for the Oceaneer's Club/Lab while we wait. We keep an eye out for Dave, who has to join the big long line of people at security who just got off a DCL bus! We find out much later that one of the families in line by him is a DISer who is part of our fish extender exchange group and we'd see them a lot!!!
He finally gets up to us and the kids' club line is not moving at all. But, they call our boarding number, so we are heading on board!!!

They scan your KTTW card and you have to have your picture taken (we did it at check in, but Dave didn't). This way they know you are the person on the card every time you get on and off the ship.

Not the best picture, but these are hanging all along the way in.

First order of business:
The boarding picture!
Of course, I don't have this picture in digital form so you'll have to believe me when I say it is a good picture of all of us! Then it's up the gangplank we go!

Too bad her eyes were closed!!

Look what else is in port nearby!!

When you board a Disney Cruise ship, they ask your last name and the CM announces - please welcome the ***** family! And they all clap and cheer. So of course I gave them my best parade wave!

Our rooms weren't ready (not til at least 1) so we headed up to Cabanas for lunch. Cabanas is set up as a multi-station buffet, but when you go up there, they ask how many in your party and find a table for you. It's a little nicer than getting in line and wandering around aimlessly with a huge tray of food and kids trailing behind, all of you lugging carry on bags! Of course, every time you go to a meal, there is a CM handing out hand wipes. No germs will be spread in these restaurants!!!

So the food - there was a station with seafood - crab legs, shrimp and oysters!, meats - carved hot meats, all the side dishes in the world, salad bar, kids food, and OH the desserts!!!! Holy Cow!!! I'm not sure I even saw it all! Everything we had was really good - but I did not take pictures of the food at this meal.

Here's some shots around Cabanas (when it was empty later!)

HUGE mosaic!! Very cool!

There seems to be a lot of Finding Nemo type stuff and decor on this ship. Not that I mind!

So by the time we finished pigging out (I think we each had about 5 desserts!), our room was ready. We went down to deck 9 and found our stateroom - 9102. You really had to press down hard on the door handle to get it open, and then we got our first glimpse of our Deluxe Family Stateroom - with Verandah!!!!
OH MY GOSH!! It was just beautiful!!!
Somehow I neglected to take any picture of my room number, the door, the fish extender, or the door covered with magnets that we used to decorate!!! We even got two Welcome Home DVC Member magnets from DCL!! We did not use DVC points for the cruise.
Anyway - our stateroom has a split bath, the first one has the sink and toilet. The second has a sink and bath/shower.
Then there's the queen size bed, a separator curtain, and a couch that folds into the lower bunk and the pull down upper bunk. On the right was a HUGE long, desk/dresser.
Room pictures in next post (I'm worried there will be too many in this one)

Old 04-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #84
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

There was a new towel friend each night!

The bunk beds - I think we were just got back from dinner and kids' club time.

lounging

a very comfy bed and pillows!

Looking out from the verandah

looking in from the verandah

hanging out on the verandah ( I love saying verandah!)

After we checked out our room we went to the DVC Member meeting. We met Sarah's email buddy Chloe and her family there. They had been exchanging emails, (thanks to their DISer moms) and Chloe was nice enough to help us keep the trip a surprise. They talked about their common interests and love of Disney. Chloe told Sarah that she hoped they could go to Disney at the same time someday and meet. So we told Sarah that Chloe was on the same cruise that morning and she spent a lot of time looking for her! She spotted her at the member gathering. What a nice family!! They gave away a bunch of prizes and I won a bag. Plus they gave us all lanyards (I've got quite a collection now) and hats. Then on the way out, another reusable tote bag.
Then we went to a shopping presentation. Hoping to win more prizes, but we were shut out. Chloe's family was there too, so Sarah was happy!
Next it was time for the lifeboat drill. We had to find our muster station and line up. Very close together. So of course, we started chatting with our "neighbors". I don't know exactly how it started, I think Sarah asked me if they were DISers. So I asked. Turns out, they WERE! In fact, they were part of our FE group! Jodywgirl! Ken, JoAnn and their daughter Mikaila (sp?). They would turn out to be another family we bumped into often on this trip! Remember that family that Dave was in the security line with? Turns out it was them!!!

So by the time all that was done, the kids wanted to go see the kids' clubs. It was an open family time and we got their wrist bands. They have an electronic scanning device on them (yes it can get wet). So they scan the kids in and out and check them against our KTTW cards. Plus we have to use a password. Quite secure.
Wow, that place is amazing!!! We ended up staying in there so long we missed the first 1/2 of the sail away party and missed meeting up with our FE group!
We were supposed to meet our FE group at 4 at the Wavebands bar, but by the time we got up there, they were gone - all at the party. So we made our way down to watch the end of the dancing fun.

Oceaneers' Club/Lab

Lots of stuff from Andy's Room in Toy Story!

Sarah's "look like Mike" with one eye!

Only Disney could have a kids' area with so much cool stuff. There were tables that were giant ipads to play games on, a light up dance floor, craft rooms, games, video games, a place you can "drive" the ship, it was just ridiculous!

Sail Away Party (not too many pictures since we missed most of it!)

lots of people around

It was funny - they did at least one of the exact same dances on this ship as on the Wonder - Hey Baby. So the girls and I did the dance with them!!

The show on our first night was The Golden Mickeys. We'd seen it before on the Wonder, but I read they changed some and added some things from some newer movies, so we decided we'd see it. We had late dining (at 8:30), so our showtime was 6:15. Prior to the show, we delivered some of our FE gifts.

The show, shopping and dinner at Artist's Palette coming up next...
Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #85
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Yes, I will be doing a TR. I am doing a dining review first (link in my signature so this is what a dream taste like).
I love your first day. Seeing the ship as we were driving in was so awesome too. I was amazed by the size.
you room looks like it might be a little bigger than ours. We were on deck 7. I loved the verandah too. I can't imagine sailing without one now. We didn;t make it to the kids clubs much. Well only once. Claire was too worried we would do something fun without her. I hope next time (and yes there WILL be a next time) she will lighten up and go more often. She did have fun, but was just worried that we were having more fun than her.
I think we had a shortened sail away party as it was raining and they did it indoors. But it was still a lot of fun. We enjoyed Golden Mickeys. I think it was my favorite of the 3 shows.

I can't wait to hear more.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #86
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

I'm thinking that's just what our stateroom is going to look like! Thanks for the preview!

Have I missed a picture of your FE?
I know it's late, maybe I've forgotten...
Old 04-14-2011, 04:17 AM   #87
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'd like to go on the ship just to see this. Very cool!

I'm glad your room had and outside space. I would never, ever, ever be able to stay in a room that was totally closed in with no outside 'escape'. Looks very nice, and I know all the people who have already scheduled cruises are very excited about seeing what they are in for.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #88
NancyLuvsMickey
Mouseketeer

WOW!!! The kids club totally rocks!!!

And what a huge room you got... I've never stayed in a room with a Veranda... After seeing your room, I'm thinking a Veranda is the only way to go!!!

Love the updates so far... And can't wait to read more!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #89
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Love the update!!! Very cool pictures!!!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #90
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Subbing! I love seeing the pics from the Disney Dream, how cool! And I love the pillowcases and the fish extender, so cute!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: