Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
vegaangel82
A dream is a wish your heart makes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms0312 View Post
Hey Kristi it's Michelle!!! I love this site!! Landon is going to be going to Disneyland in October for his 4th birthday and we can't wait. I will have to take the time to make a PTR for him!!! See you on the 19th
Thats my favorite time of year to go, Michelle!!! I have a planning blog if you want to check it out: www.parkhopperplanner.blogspot.com

Kristi , married to Paul , parents of Gabriella, 6 & PJ, 3

Our family website
vegaangel82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #17
vegaangel82

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
WOO HOO!! Cant wait to hear all of your plans!!! Do you have exact dates yet? What are you looking forward to the most! What is a cruise wish trip like? do they give you any excursions or anything? Do you get to visit GKTW when you get back????
We are still waiting on dates! He had me pick some in September but I told them pretty much anytime they pick for us is good!

We could not add on any Disney World or GKTW visits since it was a Cruise wish, but we did choose to extend our flight home and pay for our own hotel and tickets to Disney World for a day. It will be hard, but we are saving for it!! I am kinda sad we wont get to see GKTW but we wont have time or the opportunity to.... but thats ok!

Our family website
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #18
vegaangel82

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
What a beautiful family and I'm just teary eyed hearing how well Gabriella is doing today. My heart dropped when you said your first wish was postponed due to a stroke -- I was expecting to read it was postponed for a transplant which would have been a great reason. I'm just so happy that Gabriella recovered so well.

I highly recommend AK over MK, especially since you've been to DL. I so wish we had more time to spend there. They have fabulous shows and great animal related activities for the children. We loved it. We probably spent more time at MK b/c our children had never been to any of the parks before, but I am dying to go back to AK. We stayed at the AK lodge too (Because we got a good discount) and it was FABULOUS!

I'm also interested in hearing more about the cruise. I think you picked some great excursions for the kids. We did stingray feeding in Grand Cayman when ds when 13 months old and he loved it.
We havent picked any excursions yet... I think you were reading the ones Michelle posted in a reply to my PRT...

I am with you on the Animal Kingdom idea, but my husband is thinking otherwise!! I need to really sell him on the MK being just like Disneyland and this being a once in a lifetime chance!! Thanks for the character dining suggestion!!! Once I have dates I'll have to book it!!!

Our family website
Old 04-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #19
twinmum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaangel82 View Post
Hi everyone!!! I was told by a friend to come check out the Make a Wish thread! Despite being a lurker of these boards since July 2008, I had no idea there was a Wish section!!!!

My daughter lived her life for the first 4 years as a normal child, diagnosed with only mild asthma. By her 4th birthday, the innocent heart murmur she had always had changed, and her pediatrician sent her to a cardiologist. In the spring of 2009, we went from having a very 'normal' life to suddenly finding out our child had a fatal heart condition known as Restrictive Cardiomyopathy, and was in heart failure. Over the summer of 2009, we prepared her, and ourselves, for heart transplant....

Her cardiologist was trying as hard as possible to be optimistic, but was fearful of what the near future held for Gabriella. We completed testing for transplant in August, and also had our first visit with our Wish granters. Our team consisted of one lady who was an experienced and a husband wife duo on their first wish. Make a Wish pushed through Gabriella's wish to dance with Cinderella in her castle, and got Gabriellas wish trip planned for October 8, 2009. We were scheduled to return home Oct 14 and she would be active on the donor list October 15, 2009. Instead, on September 25, 2009, Gabriella collapsed at home and suffered a massive stroke that took her right arm function and her ability to swallow and speak. Not only was her Wish trip postponed, but she was no longer safe for transplant.

For 4 months, we focused on therapies to regain what was lost, and aggressive injections of blood thinner to thin the clot in her brain from the stroke. After an MRI in February, Gabriella shocked her neurologist and the clot had dissipated... making her safe for transplant. She was listed in February 2010 and on May 17, 2010, we got the fateful call. A private jet flight to Loma Linda University in California and 7 hour surgery later, Gabriella was given a 2nd chance at life, and we were given a 2nd chance at watching our daughter grow up. Since transplant, Gabriella has flourished, thrived and proven to many that miracles happen!

Our Transplant Photo album: https://picasaweb.google.com/vegaangel82/Transplant?authkey=Gv1sRgCP7xnL6BvO7kUQ&feat=direc tlink

Once her doctors released her for travel this past winter, we called Make a Wish. Our husband-wife wish granter team had kept in close contact with us through the whole journey and were eager to come out and have Gabriella re-wish! Gabriella changed her wish... to something she originally wanted but we had to distract her from due to the risk of her being too far from medical care..... the Disney Cruise!!!!

Gabriella is now almost 11 months post transplant, speaking amazing and utilizing her arm to the max of what she regained from the stroke. She is becoming such a big girl! And now we are eagerly awaiting our wish trip in September on the Disney Cruise!!! We had Make a Wish extend our flight a couple extra days so we could spend a day at Disney World as well (on our dime though). We are trying to decide between Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom (we are BIG Disneyland people already). We are still waiting on dates so we can book our room for Disney World and buy our tickets to the park.

ANY advice on the Disney Cruise or a single day at Disney World would be amazing!

This is us! Paul, me (Kristi), Gabriella and our son PJ

And our family blog with the entire journey from day 1 is here: www.GabriellasHeart.com
Welcome...and I am so glad that your daughter is doing well and able to re-wish. I think there are some other Wish Cruise families here, but I thought I'd mention that we just returned from a 4 night cruise on the Disney Dream. If you have any cruise-specific questions, I'll do my best to help. Our son (now 12) had his Wish in 2008, but I still pop in here (esp. before and after WDW trips...and we've had a few, helps keep those Wish memories alive...).

Happy planning!
twinmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #20
vegaangel82

I think we have dates!!!! Tentatively they are September 10-17 for the trip, cruising Sept 11-15! I will keep updating as we get more concrete info!

And my husband and I entered to win a vow renewal with Disney. We'd love your vote!!! http://family.go.com/happily-ever-af...ther----66729/

Our family website
Old 04-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #21
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Looking forward to reading more when you have time!

blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #22
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

I hope you have ENJOYED your day!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #23
vegaangel82

OK guys, what kind of stuff should I get in advance to prepare??? Like the fun, extra goodies I will probably be on the cruise and say "I wish I had gotten that!!"

Our family website
Old 06-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #24
blessedmom4

I can't answer your question since I have never cruised, but I hope you come back soon and fill us all in! :g oodvibes
Old 07-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #25
vegaangel82

Gabriella just got done with a few weeks of struggle, but came out a warrior again! She went into rejection on June 9 and it took some time to figure out how to effectively treat her, while her heart was declining. We were sent home on the 24th and are working hard on keeping her super healthy! Our wish trip is quickly approaching so we must keep her out of the hospital!

I just ordered an adorable Umbrella Spotter from eBay and will make a Fish Extender in the coming weeks. I am starting to gather things here and there like beach shoes and swim suit coverups for us! I am SO excited for my little warrior to enjoy her wish!

We found out Friday that our littlest one is too small for the sting ray excursion Gabriella chose but he can do the dolphin encounter, but I am sure me and him will find something to do while Gabriella and daddy play with the rays.

We also got the blessing of a friend putting us up at the Animal Kingdom resort for 3 nights following our cruise so we can add on to our Wish Trip a couple disney world days at our expense. I am working now on saving the money for the DW tickets, but it will be a great extension of the trip for sure!!!!

Our family website
Old 07-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #26
blessedmom4

Quote:
Gabriella just got done with a few weeks of struggle, but came out a warrior again! She went into rejection on June 9 and it took some time to figure out how to effectively treat her, while her heart was declining. We were sent home on the 24th and are working hard on keeping her super healthy! Our wish trip is quickly approaching so we must keep her out of the hospital!

I just ordered an adorable Umbrella Spotter from eBay and will make a Fish Extender in the coming weeks. I am starting to gather things here and there like beach shoes and swim suit coverups for us! I am SO excited for my little warrior to enjoy her wish!

We found out Friday that our littlest one is too small for the sting ray excursion Gabriella chose but he can do the dolphin encounter, but I am sure me and him will find something to do while Gabriella and daddy play with the rays.

We also got the blessing of a friend putting us up at the Animal Kingdom resort for 3 nights following our cruise so we can add on to our Wish Trip a couple disney world days at our expense. I am working now on saving the money for the DW tickets, but it will be a great extension of the trip for sure!!!!
I am so glad to read of the many blessings coming your way...AKL!!!! What a dream come true! May Gabriella stay strong and healthy!!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #27
chelleydi77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
OK guys, what kind of stuff should I get in advance to prepare??? Like the fun, extra goodies I will probably be on the cruise and say "I wish I had gotten that!!"
We're doing magnets for our door. I'm also going to get some Sea-bands just in case and I've got some lanyards to hold our KTTW cards. I would like to get a decent underwater camera but that might not happen. I also read that clothes pins, big ziploc bags, a small flashlight and some $1 bills (for room service tips) are a good idea. I know the cruise forum has TONS of info!!

Madison's Make A Wish PTR

A "Dream" was her wish TR
chelleydi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #28
Jonescrewof5
Earning My Ears

Oh I am soo happy to hear Gabriella is doing well post transplant. I know there can be stumbles along the road to recovery. Stay strong. I am a Transplant Donation Coordinator and it always warms my heart to hear of children post transplant. My son Owen (9 years old and born hypoplastic left heart syndrome) had his wish cruise in June. You all have so many great things in store for you! Disney knows how to make wishes come true. My family preferred Magic Kingdom when we went to Disney world a couple of years back. You will have memories on top of memories!

Last edited by Jonescrewof5; 07-11-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Jonescrewof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #29
mommy2mrb
Mama to a Princess - But I'm a Scrap Princess
But you wouldn't need the clothes if you had the hot man

Stopping by to say hi!

your Gabriella is such a little beauty! she is a true warrior and hope she is still feeling better and getting stronger to enjoy her MAW cruise! PJ is a cutie too! love their photo

We went on the Disney Magic back in 2005, you are going to have a wonderful time! and AKL is amazing, my DD and I just spent 3 days there in April, hope you are able to enjoy the lodge and all the activities for the kids!

mommy2mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #30
jessica52877
DIS Veteran

Love that Gabriella is getting her dream aboard the Dream!

Have you joined your cruise thread? It is always fun to meet people who will be on board with you!

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
jessica52877 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chd, cruise, stroke, transplant

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: