Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #31
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Lady View Post
Bumping... DH really wants to go to either Yosemite (or Yellowstone) next and I want to take the kids to DL, so I was thinking of combining DL and Yosemite.
Last May/June we did Yosemite/Sequoia/DL all in one trip. I think it really depends on what you hope to accomplish. It was completely reasonable for my family. We did the National Parks/Camping first and then ended w/ DL which was the perfect finale to our trip. The drive between parks was not difficult at all. Do you have any specific questions?

We've been to Yellowstone 12 times in the past 5 years. It is one of our favorite parks. We've had the pleasure of enjoying every season and seeing a ton of wildlife including wolves and grizzly bear.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #32
KateDrake
DIS Veteran

I would highly recommend taking in Yosemite! It truly is one of the most stunning places on the planet. I would say you should take at least 3 days if you want to see most of the valley, more if you want to explore the rest of the park.
While the park is open year-round, it is not a good winter destination. We went for a week last April and were buried in snow a couple of days. But we still had a great time! Spring is when the waterfalls are at their most spectacular, so it's a great time to go. However, if you try to find a place TODAY, you will probably have a hard time finding a vacancy for spring. People seriously book at least a year in advance, so it can be hard to get reservations. But once you get there, you'll see why!
We flew from SLC to Fresno, and then drove about 3 hours to Yosemite to a great hotel, Tenaya something right outside the park. However, if you stay outside the park, you can still expect about an hour drive into the Yosemite valley each day. I would probably skip flying, simply because you'll have to rent a car anyway to drive from any airport. With the time you spend arriving at the airport, getting luggage, etc. it is probably just as fast to drive.
KateDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #33
KateDrake
DIS Veteran

I should have read the whole thread before replying. Tenaya Lodge was the hotel outside the park, and they also have super cute little cabins. We've also stayed at the Ahwahnee, which is awesome, but super spendy.
The Yosemite Lodge at the Falls has great scenery, but is kind of a crappy little hotel on the inside. It's fine, clean, double queen beds, etc. but it is certainly not what you'd expect for $250+ per night. More like a crappy motel. But, the views are stunning! My family jokes it's "hotel camping". So it's fine, just don't expect a regular $250 room. You are paying a premium to stay in the valley.
KateDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #34
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

I would say 3 days min at Disneyland and 3 days min at Yosemite, if you can swing it. I live 15 minutes south of LAX, and it takes me 6-7 hours to get to Yosemite valley.

I stayed at the Yosemite Lodge last year and requested the eco room. I think they have two of them. That room was nice! I prefer camping, but when I can't get campsites, I will stay at www.redwoodsinyosemite.com. They are residential cabins near the Wawona Hotel, which is 15 minutes in the park from the south entrance.

If you want to semi-camp you can stay at Housekeeping, which is right next to the river.

When we had guests, we stayed in Yosemite two nights (they were on a tight schedule), and on the way home drove through Kings Canyon/Sequoia. We picnicked at Hume Lake, swam, and then went to the Giant Forest where we saw the General Sherman, then visited Crescent Meadow. We got home late, but it was so worth it.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #35
rmom
Mouseketeer

Having stayed at the Ahwahnee, I was not impressed. While it is a nice hotel, I don't think it is worth the price. We do visit it each time we go and sometimes have sunday brunch there. There are other places to stay inside and outside Yosemite. We love the cabins in the redwoods, the Walwona Hotel for the history (plus we used to camp in that area), and Curry. Outside the park we have stayed at the Miner Inn and the Yoemite View Lodge. I have never stayed at Housekeeping but they looked very cold as they are made out of concrete, cinder blocks or something like it - I could be wrong. Where ever you stay be sure to clean out your car of food, wrapper, ect. or you may have a bear remodel your car (at night) for you. One visit we stayed outside the park one night and went in early the next morning. We were going to park the car at Curry since we were going to spend the night there but we had food in it. Since they just had the bear visit, I was told not to park there until later when there was more activity because they did not know how far the bear had gone.

Have a great trip! Yosemite is beautiful all times of the year.

Last edited by rmom; 07-19-2012 at 04:10 PM.
rmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #36
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Quote:
Bumping... DH really wants to go to either Yosemite (or Yellowstone) next and I want to take the kids to DL, so I was thinking of combining DL and Yosemite.
Yosemite is heaven on earth. Going when the waterfalls are in full flow. It's an easy six hr drive either up or down to DL as well!
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #37
Dallas_Lady
I only work for the vacation money

Thanks everyone! Our trip will probably be early-mid June 2014. I have been trying to search for Yosemite lodging but it's all SUPER expensive. Am I missing something or is that the way it is? We'll have a week, so here's my rough itinerary:

Saturday- Fly to LAX
Sunday- Disneyland
Monday- Disneyland
Tuesday- Disneyland
Wednesday- Drive to Yosemite
Thursday- Yosemite
Friday- Yosemite
Saturday- Drive back to LAX, fly home late Saturday or early Sunday.
Dallas_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #38
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Quote:
Thanks everyone! Our trip will probably be early-mid June 2014. I have been trying to search for Yosemite lodging but it's all SUPER expensive. Am I missing something or is that the way it is? We'll have a week, so here's my rough itinerary:

Saturday- Fly to LAX
Sunday- Disneyland
Monday- Disneyland
Tuesday- Disneyland
Wednesday- Drive to Yosemite
Thursday- Yosemite
Friday- Yosemite
Saturday- Drive back to LAX, fly home late Saturday or early Sunday.
You might want to do the opposite so your close to the airport for the final day.

Which hotels are you looking at? What do you consider super expensive? Try looking at Yosemite View Lodge just outside the gates on the south side. I'm talking a minute or less away from the gate. It's a hotel/motel but very decent and its right by the Merced River which runs from the YNP.

BTW your also going during one of the busiest times but one of the best.
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #39
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

I agree w/ the previous poster regarding ending your trip with DL instead. They have a good point regarding being close to the airport at the end of your trip.

As far as hotels in Yosemite I can't provide much guidance. I have heard that it can be quite expensive. We tent camped and loved it.

You might find that 3 days at DL are too short. Especially as it will be a busier time of year which means longer lines. I would add a day in the park if possible.

You mention that you only have a week. Another suggestion would be to fly out Friday after work and/or you could stay until Sunday. This would give you one full extra day to spend at DL. You would have the expense of an extra hotel night. But it might be worth it.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #40
rmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Our trip will probably be early-mid June 2014. I have been trying to search for Yosemite lodging but it's all SUPER expensive. Am I missing something or is that the way it is? We'll have a week, so here's my rough itinerary:
I agree to do Yosemite first. Part of the problem is that you are looking at 2014. Are you checking prices for 2012 or 2014? What do you consider expensive and how much are you hoping to pay? Inside the park will be expensive but Yosemite is right outside your door. I know we spent under $150 ( for 3 of us) at the Yosemite View lodge in August of last year but we had a 2 room suite and it included breakfast. The Miner's inn was less but it is further away. If you are brave, you could do the tent cabins at Curry. I believe they have heater but they may be cold in the morning. My sister got married in Yosemite at the beginning of May and they were sending out emails with "specials". You could book a tent for under $50 a night - gives a new meaning to something blue for the wedding!

Last edited by rmom; 07-20-2012 at 06:59 PM.
rmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #41
JLitfin
love Disney

I'm also planning a trip to DL and Yosemite in 2014 probably during the month of Sept. We're going to fly into LAX and hoping to spend 4 or 5 nights at the VGC on pts, take one day to drive to Yosemite, spend 4 nights at Yosemite, then drive to San Fransciso, spend one night and fly home from there. That way we're not driving all the way back to LAX from Yosemite. I'm also thinking about stopping at the Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks, never been to this park before. Is there lodging in or near this park, since we won't be camping? Might want to stay one night to break up the drive from LA to Yosemite.

When we lived in Santa Rosa about 23 years ago we use to camp Yosemite and truely love the area. My DH doesn't wish to spend more time in the LA area so I decided to hook a Yosemite visit onto our DL trip. I would like to visit Yosemite at least once more before I can't hike the trails any longer. I still remember hiking to the top of Yosemite Falls, of course that was when I was much younger.

Have fun everyone with your CA trip planning.

Last edited by JLitfin; 09-15-2012 at 06:10 PM.
JLitfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #42
july2011
Mouseketeer

We're planning something similar - we're starting off in San Francisco (3-4 nights), then renting a car & driving to Yosemite. We'll go by way of Monterrey so it'll be a little indirect but want to see the gorgeous coastline. I've got reservations in Oakhurst at Best Western Yosemite Gateway - relatively reasonable (with AAA it shows $179 for 3 queen beds, smaller rooms are less but we're a family of 5). Oakhurst is apparently about 15 miles from the south gate. I found a website that has a good itinerary for driving as we're not much able to hike b/c one of our kids just isn't up to it. http://www.yosemitefun.com/images/yosemite_park.htm - if you scroll about 1/2 way down it has a recommended plan with a commute from Oakhurst.

After Yosemite (I think we'll only stay 2 nights & do the 1st day of that website plan) we plan to drive to DL possibly via a quick pitstop in Hollywood just to get a pic of the kids in front of the Hollywood sign ;-) and maybe see the Muppet's star on the walk of fame. Haven't decided for sure on Hollywood but also considered trying to get into a taping of Wheel of Fortune.

And finally we'll hit DL!! Wanted to finish off the trip with a bang It's going to be a lot, but I think/hope by planning ahead I'll be able to get some great deals & hopefully we won't exhaust the kids too crazy much. Will be tracking this post for any tips/ideas anyone has.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #43
julieheyer
Crazy for the Mouse!

We're doing something similar to this in mid-Nov. Only we'll only have 1 day in Yosemite What would you recommend for 1 day in Yosemite in Nov? I wish it were longer, and may (I'm a big waterfall fan), but we'll still enjoy it.

Starting in DL for 2 days w/ our BFFs, then driving up the coast to SF area, staying in Hayward for 6 nights, using it as a "home base". Plan to visit Muir Woods, SF, Yosemite, and try a day in either Napa or Sonoma. We're trying to plan it all out. Open to suggestions .

Then we drive down to LAX the day after Thanksgiving, to see our friends off, and drive back to Anaheim. We'll be doing 2 more days in DL Sat and Sun. It'll be a full 10 day adventure. I'm sooooo excited!

Past trips: Mar. 2013, Nov 2012, Oct. 2011, Mar. 2009, June 2006... Can't remember before that!
julieheyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:10 AM   #44
TwingleMum
DIS Veteran

I would love to do a Yosemite/DL trip. Is anyone concerned about the hantevirus outbreak??
TwingleMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #45
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieheyer View Post
We're doing something similar to this in mid-Nov. Only we'll only have 1 day in Yosemite What would you recommend for 1 day in Yosemite in Nov? I wish it were longer, and may (I'm a big waterfall fan), but we'll still enjoy it.
If the road to Glacier Point is open you should go to Glacier Point for a spectacular view of the valley and the High Sierra Range. Down in the valley, you can visit Bridalveil Falls (5 minute walk to the base), where there should be some water, and Yosemite Falls, where there most likely won't be any water. When we went in autumn we rented bikes and rode around the valley floor. I would also recommend going to the Visitors Center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwingleMum View Post
I would love to do a Yosemite/DL trip. Is anyone concerned about the hantevirus outbreak??
At this time, the cabins that are susceptible to the hantevirus have all been closed off, and my understanding is that those cabins will be razed. So, I don't have any misgivings, myself.

Since this is turning into more of a discussion on Yosemite, et al, I'm going to move this to the California Board.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: