Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
tink519
Mouseketeer

Gluten Free Dining Review March 27 to April 2

Here is my review of dining gluten free last week. Sorry there are no pictures, kept forgetting to take them! Great food and a great vacation!

Sunday night:
Dinner: American Pavilion, Liberty Inn: This was my first attempt at ordering gluten free at WDW. I learned quickly that at counter service it is a little more difficult as the manager has to take the order and they do a special order for you. Another woman came to the manager while I was at a different register and snuck in before me, so I had to switch rows to go to him so I could actually take my order. It wasn’t his fault, but someone who knew to go to him to begin with. Once I was there, I learned they had several options available. Basically the only thing I couldn’t have was the pulled pork. I opted for the #1, which was a Cheeseburger, Gouda and Bacon (I think) on a Tapioca Roll (#1) with Fries. The fries are made in a separate fryer, although he did say something about them all being cleaned out together at the end of the night so he could bake them to be safe. The woman two people in front of me had already ordered them baked so that’s how I had them which was fine. I ended up having this meal twice, the burger was quite tasty. The second time around though I ordered the kids meal first so she could eat while mine was prepared.

Monday:
Breakfast: Hollywood & Vine brunch. The chef came out to me to give me my options and also sent over so Vans waffles. Since I am only gluten “intolerant”, I ate off of the buffet and didn’t have any problems, there was a frittata, scrambled, bacon, sausage and all the fruit. Overall it was a pretty decent buffet. The kids loved the characters, and since it was a rainy day we spent about an hour+ in there.
Dinner: Raglan Road. I was actually surprised at how many options there were! Even the Shepherd’s Pie is gluten free. I opted for one of the specials, broiled scallops with a mushroom white wine sauce with mashed potatoes. Yum! I also had a side salad with balsamic. And the Magners was tasty too!

Tuesday:
Breakfast: Cape May. I got my gluten free mickey waffles! They brought me three of them, I was so full. They were so good though. They offered premade omelets, two different varieties in addition to a scrambled, bacon, sausage, et. The rest of the offerings looked great as well for those who can eat as much gluten as their little bellies desire.
Dinner: We were scheduled to go to the Biergarten but the group decided we weren’t up for such an expensive buffet. A few people opted for pizza slices at VN, some for sushi and I went back to the American Pavilion for another cheeseburger since I knew I could get some there without too much trouble.

Wednesday:
Lunch: We only had a snack in the room before heading out for the day so we decided to have an early lunch before the crowds arrived at the Columbia Harbour House (across from Haunted Mansion.) There weren’t quite as many options, but they did have gluten free tenders and a gluten free macaroni and cheese. I decided on the Fiesta Chicken salad. It was really good, but it didn’t settle well. Not sure if it was the sunflower seeds or the lettuce (sometimes I am sensitive to that as well)….I also had fries cooked in a separate fryer.
Dinner: Kouzzina by Cat Cora. Wow, what an amazing meal. We loved this! They had gluten free rolls, gluten free pitas for the spreads (LOVED the whipped feta with red pepper). Had the greek salad to start, and the Wood-grilled New York Strip Steak - with fresh Herb Saltsa and Kouzzina Potatoes for dinner. It was very good. Definitely a strip, so a little tougher but very tasty. Could barely eat the potatoes after the rolls and the pita. They had a gluten free brownie for dessert, which was ok…

Thursday:
Breakfast: CRT: This was DD’s one request so this is the year we did it. The princesses were fantastic and her, the other little girl we were traveling with and my DS LOVED it. Her face still lights up when she talks about seeing all of them. DH is not so happy about how much it cost (he didn’t know before!) Oh well…It would have been worth it if there was a buffet, or even family style like Akershus, but the one plate of food for $40 is sort of a rip off. For gluten free, it was Vans waffles, sausage, bacon and some muffins they brought, not sure what variety they were. They didn’t offer me eggs, so not sure if they were gluten free.

Dinner: We ended up at Seasons in the Land. I had the Caesar Salad, which was good. I didn’t have my menus with me, but when I looked at them later I confirmed this was gluten free, and there were several other options as well.

Friday:
Lunch: We got take out from Big River Grill while at the Boardwalk Pool. I went with the Caesar Salad with no croutons, felt fine although I didn’t confirm it was gluten free. DH had the California Chicken sandwich which he said was great.

Dinner: La Hacienda for our final night, 7:30 reservation so we got to stay for the fireworks. Yay! Lot of options here for gluten free. Corn chips to start with the green salsa, not sure why the red salsa has gluten. Salsa is so all natural, what do they add? For dinner I went with the Arrachera - flank steak with spring onions, tamal, cactus leaves, and beans. I ordered it medium rare but it came out more rare than medium. I was still ok with it and it tasted amazing, but it could have been cooked about 2 more minutes. I wasn’t a big fan of the tamal, which I guess was corn, kind of had a weird texture. Also, didn’t bother using the corn tortillas, it could be eating just a regular meal. DH split the Del Mar with another friend, which looked amazing, it was the seafood fajitas (scallops, mahi mahi and shrimp.) I had one of the shrimp, which was fantastic. For dessert I had a Chocoate de Crème. It was like a chocolate crème brule.

Overall it was a great experience, and my belly felt mostly good the whole vacation, which is definitely different than vacations in the past. Usually I ended up with stomach pains, gassy, etc….so it was a nice change . Definitely looking forward to our next trip!
May 2012: HHI ~ October 2013: OKW
2013 PTR: Looking for a creative title :)

2011 Trip Report: It's a Gluten Free World After All: March 2011! ~ Gluten Free Dining Review 2011
tink519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
davebon23
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the review, Tink. Good to see you were able to eat without getting sick. That is what I look forward to the most with this vacation. Eating out without getting sick is such a rarity for me. I convinced my teenage son to go to Disney again, just so I could eat well. It's prob not too much of a hardship going on all of those rides, either.

Look forward to hearing your trip report if you get time for it. Thanks again.
Couple times as a kid around 1974 when we lived in FL. All Star Sports 5/98, All Star Movies 11/00, All Star Movies 9/01, Coronado Springs 8/03(BIL's wedding at Disney), Port Orleans French Quarter 2/07, French Quarter 8/11, UPCOMING CBR 9/2013
Me DH DS(18)(OFF TO COLLEGE) DD(16)
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
davebon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Thanks for the great reviews! I had wanted to try Hollywood & Vine breakfast this past trip but it didn't happen. So glad to hear it was good! Also, La Hacienda looks like somewhere my family and I would love too. I was nervous about booking an ADR there though since there weren't really any gluten reviews of it. So thank you! That dessert sounds delish!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
snorris49
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the reviews! It's always great to hear more successful GF trips!

Check out my Blog!:
http://glutenfreedairyfreewdw.blogspot.com/

snorris49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for the complete report.
On our next trip, we will have my niece, who is gluten intolerant. One of the few things we have not dealt with yet. So, nice to read the experience.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Izjezted
Earning My Ears

Thank you
Izjezted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review. Ds11 is gluten sensitive (non-celiac) and Peanut/Treenut free. We appreciate hearing about all the restaurants!
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
4mama2
Earning My Ears

Thanks. Lots of great info!
4mama2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: