Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #16
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyBeth29 View Post
Oooh...I'm jealous..after going with the family, a solo or with my husband alone trip would be magical!

Have fun!
I'm about to reverse it in October. Taking my brother, SIL, her mother, and my nephew (4) and niece (2). I have to get my adult time in this trip!

Jill in CO
Old 04-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #17
ChrissyBeth29
JustGoofinAround

April 16--Tutto Italia

[IMG][/IMG]
Okay...so we stayed at BWV; therefore, I booked many of my meals in Epcot. It is so close and convenient..how could we go wrong?

First dinner was at Tutto Italia. We had a 6:10 ADR. We arrived at 6, and were seated immediately. We were the second table the minute you walked into the restaurant. We weren't even in the main dining room, which was awesome because it was nice and quite. The atmosphere was fab as was everyone who worked there. All very nice servers. To be honest..we had amazing servers..except for France...but that's a story for another day!

So I have no pictures of the meals, but I finally remembered to take pictures when it came to dessert...then I was right on top of it!

Me--Brasato Di Manzo Al Vino Rosso - red wine braised short ribs, mashed potatoes, and vegetables $29....meh..it was okay...I felt like it was standard crockpotted pot roast, of which I am NOT a fan. It was good enough, I suppose. To drink..unsweetened iced tea and water(lots of lemon)

DH---Arrosto Di Vitello In Porchetta - veal roast, mushrooms, potatoes $29...He LOVED IT. He RAVED about it. If I hadn't been there he would have LICKED THE PLATE! He also had water with lemon.

DM---Costata Di Maiale Alla Valdostana - breaded pork chop, stuffed with prociutto ham, and fontina cheese $28....Shockingly, she HATED it. She said there was too much breading and the pork chop was dry..honestly..she's freakin goldie locks and nothing will ever be right...

DSister---Cannelloni al Forno - baked with spinach, ricotta, bechamel and parmesan cheese $25...She LOVED it too. Thought the cheese was amazing and really liked the bechamel sauce. It was just enough food too, not too much and not too little.

DNephew had the same as my husband..and loved it.

DNeice had children's salad and bow tie pasta. Let me just say that for a little girl who barely eats anything..this kid housed that food. There was nothing left at the end.

Now the desserts:

Tiramisu
Now the waiter told me I should try this and that it was sooooo good. I didn't love it. It was too soggy and didn't have enough flavor..and I love me some tiramisu...I was let down!

Cannoli My husband LOVED this. He claimed he won.(This is a game we play based on who chose best for dinner. According to him, he always wins! lol)

Dessert trio: Everyone else in my family got this. They raved about it. I was going to get this until my waiter talked me out of it, that jerk! lol

The Good:
According to my DH...everything he ate. Also the atmosphere and the servers.

The Bad:
My tiramisu and my short ribs, sadly.

The Ugly:
My mother says the pork...who knew the other white meat would be such a little bugger!

Up next...breakfast at Kona Cafe *sigh*
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #18
ChrissyBeth29
JustGoofinAround

Sunday, April 17--Kona Breakfast

So I woke the family up BRIGHT and EARLY @ 6:30am. We had an 8:50ADR for the Kona Cafe and we had to make it from Boardwalk to Magic Kingdom and then hop the monorail to the Poly. I knew we needed to leave by 7:30. So dutifully my family was out the door by 7:30 and we went to the bus stop. We hopped a bus within 4 minutes and was to the Magic Kingdom by 7:50. We got to Kona at 8:18 and I figured with it being Easter week, we'd have to wait. (As a side note..we were early to EVERY ADR and never had to wait more that 5 minutes..and sometimes we were an hour early.)

We were seated and I was vibrating with ecstasy in my chair. All I could think was Tonga Toast. Tonga Toast. The rest of my family isn't into breakfast, and therefore my husband and I were paying out of pocket for the entire family to eat here. He LOVES breakfast and I LOVE Tonga Toast...how could we go wrong?!

Me and my mother---Tonga Toast. Delicious...the strawberry compote cuts the sweetness just enough. It gives it a tart, delicious flavor. I also had the liliki(sp) juice. For me...tooo tart/sweet. I would have liked a bit less of it. The banana stuffed french toast was divine. The ham I had really complemented it.

DH--He had a ham and cheese omelet with bacon(ick), biscuit and coffee.

DS--The Somoan - poached eggs with Hollandaise served over smoked pulled pork hash. She didn't love it. She said it lacked flavor. She claimed the pulled pork needed sauce or something. She was underwhelmed. She had coffee.

DNephew---He had chocolate chip pancakes(not on the menu but they did it for him). His gripe....too chocolate-y! Um seriously...are you even my nephew? How can something have too much chocolate?

DNiece had the Kid's fruit and yogurt plate. I was underwhelmed with this. The fruit looked good, but didn't taste too great. Well the strawberries were good.

The Good---

All hail Tonga Toast...I love thee

The Bad---
the Samoan...a big let down

The Ugly---

my family for me waking them up so early! hahhahahaha

Tonga Toast--- I'm sorry..I took a bit before I took a pic...can you blame me??

Samoan---

Ham and cheese omelet

Kid's fruit and yogurt plate:

Up next....Pecos Bills
Old 04-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #19
DisneyMamato4
Disney Obsessed!

Love your reviews so far! Can't wait to read more
Old 04-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #20
ChrissyBeth29
JustGoofinAround

April 17--Lunch--Pecos Bills

Now I know lots of people on the Dis can't stand Pecos Bills, but I am a fan from way back. I was so psyched to have the Taco Salad, but sadly not on the menu anymore...this depressed me, truly!

Everyone in my party got the 1/3lb cheeseburger. It was ok...I am totally NOT a fan of Disney burgers(actually I don't really love red meat). My husband who is a huge carnivore agrees that they were, meh. Also, the fries were SOGGY! Now we all had waters, except my nephew who got a LARGE coke...let's just say unless you're thirsty or planning on sharing it with someone else, no human being should drink that much soda in a sitting!

The best part about the meal was the hot onions and sizzling mushrooms we could put on the burger from the fixings bar! Delish!

Desserts...we got three carrot cakes and two chocolate cakes. The carrot cake, as was the consensus throughout the trip, was way better than the chocolate cake. The chocolate cake was nothing special.

Ooooh...I forgot..my mom actually got the chicken caesar salad! It was good..which is shocking that she liked something!

The Good---
Fixin's bar...by far the best

The Bad---
The soggy fries

The Ugly---

The freakin wait in there was ri-dic-u-lous! Everyone and their mother was eating there at the exact same time! Toooo much!
Old 04-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #21
ChrissyBeth29
JustGoofinAround

Dinner---'Ohana

I know that many of you have posted, and posted, and posted pictures about 'Ohana, so I didn't take any. I will tell you about our experience, though.

Firstly we showed up early, and were seated promptly(within 5 minutes). It was just enough time to get a tasty beverage from the bar. We had a great six top over by the far right window. I hate being in the middle of everything, and this table was perfect for me.

Salad and bread were tasty. They didn't give us any butter...weird. My husband could not get enough of the wings....my God he is still talking about those suckers...soooo good. The dumplings were good, but a bit dry. The noodles I didn't care for...too mushy. The broccoli was DIVINE. The seasoning on it made me smile, and smile, and smile.

The chicken was AWESOME. The only person at the table who actually liked the pork was my sister...it was dry and tasteless. My steak was a PERFECT medium rare. I loved it. My sisters was too well done...I guess it all depends on the skewer it comes out on.

BREAD PUDDING...how I love you! No one else in my family likes bread pudding, yet they all devoured it...it was that good!

All in all...a very good meal. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea..but it was definitely my family's!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:16 AM   #22
cmdej88
Earning My Ears

Loving your review so far, girl! Aren't you fancy!?

I have eaten at all of these places so far and have to agree... on a whole they all get a big MEH in my book. I was so sad the last time I had Tonga Toast... when did they start putting that strawberry compote on it??

And Boardwalk Bakery...boo!

Can't wait for the rest!!
cmdej88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 AM   #23
ChrissyBeth29
JustGoofinAround

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdej88 View Post
Loving your review so far, girl! Aren't you fancy!?

I have eaten at all of these places so far and have to agree... on a whole they all get a big MEH in my book. I was so sad the last time I had Tonga Toast... when did they start putting that strawberry compote on it??

And Boardwalk Bakery...boo!

Can't wait for the rest!!
Love you, girl! Thanks for the shout!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #24
ChrissyBeth29
JustGoofinAround

April 18-DHS Catalina Eddies/Rosie's All American

It was a late night in the MK last night. There were extra magic hours until 3am, and I think we stayed until 2:30. Is there anything better than being in MK late into the morning??? It brings me back to my teen years...

We didn't wake up until 10am, and most of the adults just made and drank coffee. I think I finally polished off the chocolate/peanut butter cupcake from Boardwalk Bakery...mmmmm...so good.

By the time we got to the park, it was 12. We rushed to get a fast pass for RnR, and then hit up Catalina Eddies and Rosie's All American.

Half of my family wanted burgers again(and I can't figure out why) and the other half was DONE with burgers already! lol

Me--Hot Italian Deli Sandwich
-- with Caesar Salad $8.69 with a Dasani H2O and carrot cake.

Can I just say this was my FAVORITE lunch of the trip! Honestly...that hot Italian sandwich(hot in temp, not spice) was the BEST. There was an olive oil spread on it that was divine. The carrot cake was the typical pre packaged one...I actually think I have a picture somewhere...

DMother--Caesar Salad with Chicken $7.79 with H2O and carrot cake. She LOVED it. Weird...she loves nothing. Of course she had it without dressing and as dry as can be...but to each her own, I guess.

DNiece---Kids Cheese Pizza $4.99 with carrots and a cookie...she loved the pizza and hated the cookie...pre-packaged and dry

DH, DNephew, DSister---1/3 Lb Angus Onion Straw Cheddar Cheeseburger - topped with vine-ripened tomato sliced pickle, lettuce, and house spread, with coleslaw or fries $9.29

They all had H2O and carrot cake. They claimed this burger was much better than the Pecos Bills one...I don't know..looked the same to me!

Up next....Mama Melrose.....mmmmmmmmmm
Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #25
ChrissyBeth29
JustGoofinAround

Monday April 18...dinner @ Mama Melrose

We had ADR's at 6:15, and per usual we were early. I think we checked in at 6:00 and were seated relatively quickly. I know not everyone loves MM's, but I think the ambiance and location are great. It's kind of tucked away in the back of HS and inside it just makes me smile. We had a six top, half booth and half chairs. Our server, Chris, was like a slug. He could barely get out of his own way, and he was slooooooooow....doing everything. It was kind of tragic!

My DH and I were going to pay out of pocket for this one since we were having a special date night dinner at the end of the week at Citricos. I looked at the menus and this looked like the least expensive out of pocket...

Me--started off with calamari. I was dying for it. Um...I love me some calamari, and this wasn't great. It was really rubbery...not fresh or delicious. Also the marinara was too watery!
I then went on to Grilled Chicken Flatbread - with Sun-dried Tomato Pesto, Pancetta, Asiago Cheese, and fresh Chives $12.99 Sorry the picture is kind of blurry, but holy hell this was DELICIOUS! This was one of the best pizzas I've ever had. There was something about the sun-dried Tomato Pesto that was so deliciously tangy. I totally WON! I also had unsweetened iced tea and no dessert.

DH--He had beer. He tried the Yinling...God only knows if I spelled that right! lol He also had a mamas margarita I just want to say that there was too much ice in it. He was done in two sips, and for the amount they charge for these suckers, there should be more booze and less ice. If you order it, make sure you ask for LIGHT ice or ice on the side! He then had the chicken parmigiana. He thinks he won, but he totally didn't. He is a chicken parm connoisseur, or so he likes to act like one. He said it was good...a little dry but good. He also had NO dessert.

Dmom--she had the same thing but with the sauce on the side. She had the chocolate amarettini for dessert though. I had a bite...it was okay...nothing too awesome for me.

Dsis--she had Chicken Pipette Wood-grilled Chicken - over Pipette Pasta tossed with Artichokes, Peas, Roasted Peppers, and Sweet Onions in a Basil Four-Cheese Cream Sauce $17.99 She loved it, I tried some...meh..it was okay. For dessert she also had She also had a key lime pie martini

DNephew--he had Spaghetti con Vongole - Sauteed Clams and Pancetta tossed with Spaghetti and White Clam Sauce $19.99 He was trying all kinds of seafood on this trip, weird cause we're from cape cod where he never eats it. He didn't love it. It's an acquired taste, a clam sauce. He drank a coke and his mother made him get vanilla gelato, which he hated.

DNiece--she had the kids pizza, sprite, salad, and gelato sundae. She LOVED it all and ate every bit...she's a champ!

The Good---
Well let's just admit it...I won. My pizza was AMAZING! If you're a vegetarian, I be they'd do it without the chicken and pancetta just so you could have the sun dried tomato pesto.

The Bad---
The Margarita left a lot to be desired as did the calamari...

The Ugly---
Our freakin server. It was a trend the entire week that when it came time for the bill(and the tip which is weird) all of our servers disappeared. We sat at the table, each night, and waited no less than 15 minutes for the server to come and take the bill and run our card. It was very annoying. I'm not much of a linger-er, so when I'm done I'm done. I was beyond annoyed by this! Oh well...I was still in Disney, and if that's my biggest gripe...hoooo rah!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #26
Busy Busy
DIS Veteran

Loving your reviews!

1978 - Disneyland
1997 - WDW - Dixie Landings & Disneyland
2006 - Hong Kong Disney
2009 - Disneyland - Paradise Pier
2011 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge
2013 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside
2015 - WDW - Pop Century
Busy Busy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #28
ChrissyBeth29
JustGoofinAround

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
We love calamari too but the one at MM is just horrible. We have had it three times over the last 5 years and each time it is gross

Tonys in MK has the best calamari ever!
Darn...we didn't try Tonys this time. I honestly was dying for some good calamari, and did NOT enjoy it.

On a side note...you are one of the reasons I'm doing dining reviews...I LOVED your reviews. You're my 'dis'piration!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #29
ChrissyBeth29
JustGoofinAround

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Busy View Post
Loving your reviews!

Thank you. Thank you. It's my first time, and I'm just having fun reliving my time in the Magical Place!
Old 06-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #30
ChrissyBeth29
JustGoofinAround

Animal Kingdom AND Les Chefs (dinner)

Not that anyone is reading these anymore...but...

So we got up really early and made our way to Animal Kingdom. Got our EE fastpasses and then got on the safari. By the time we had that done and watched "It's Tough to be a Bug", it was 11:30. We had EE fastpasses for 12:30, so we figured we'd do Yak and Yeti counterservice. I had heard both good and bad, so I was hopeful.

It was the HOTTEST day of all. It was 93 degrees and HUMID! I didn't want anything hot, so although my family had sweet and sour chicken, my sister and I wanted a cold sandwich....BIG MISTAKE!

The sweet and sour chicken was pretty good. It was neat, both aesthetically and cleanly because it was in a chinese food take out container. We all had waters and frozen lemonades as dessert. It was a GREAT option on such a hot day, and it wasn't the typical chocolate or carrot cake.

The Asian chicken sandwich, was for my tastes, the WORST thing I ate on my trip. I am not a mayonaisse based person, and it was all mayo based cole slaw on top. It turned my stomach not only when I first ate it, but then when I went on EE it made a return trip once I got off the ride. I dont' know if it was just too hot or if the ride just affected me, but I haven't vomited from food in years. It was not a pleasant day.

Our hopes were for our 7:10 adr at Les Chefs. Let's just say our hopes were dashed quickly. My husband and I went over early and had a delicious Grey Goose citron slushie...now this thing is AMAZING. I know I've heard people rave about it, but I had no idea what I was missing. It was sooo hot that day that this was amazing.

Well after that joy, we checked in early for our ADR. We waited for about 15 minutes and then were ushered into the bustling, busy restaurant. It felt as though we were being brought to the back, but apparently we were being brought to the front of the restaurant. Right next to the 'other door' closest to Morrocco. WE were right next to the dessert bar. Normally this would have been excellent, but it was just bleh. The tables were jammed together and our waiter couldn't have cared less about us. He was too busy chasing one of the pretty bus girls around. They were flirting like they were at a middle school dance. Now I'm not one to c block anyone, but can a gal get some water?? We barely saw him and when we did, he was so apathetic that it made the entire experience terrible.

The food:

Being on the basic plan, we all had just an entree and dessert. We started off with French baquettes in paper bags..cute, but not great. We couldn't seem to get our waiter to fill our water glasses or once he did get us any lemon...chasing tail again! lol Once we finally got our entrees there were mixed reviews. Here's what it was

Me and DNephew: Brochette de fruits de mer aux herbes - sauteed scallops, mahi mahi, and black tiger shrimp served with Mediterranean herb coulis, grilled tomato and black pearl rice $30.95

This actually was pretty good. I enjoyed it. He thought it was great too. But it was a bit cold. It was moot to try to send it back since we waited for an hour to get our food.

DH: Filet de boeuf grille, sauce au poivre noir Gratin Dauphinois et haricots verts - Grilled tenderloin of beef with a black pepper sauce original potato gratin of Savoy and green beans $34.95. He didn't love this. He said, 'eh, it's steak'. And for a man who LOVES steak, that's not a glowing recommendation!

DM: Plat de Cote de Boeuf au Cabarnet avec pates - Beef short ribs braised in Cabernet with pasta, pearl onions and mushrooms $28.95 She said, 'meh, it tastes like crockpotted pot roast. Again..not a glowing review.

DNiece: She had the kid's salmon. She loved it.

For some reason..I can't remember what the hell my sister had! It's been too long.

HEre are the desserts, and NONE of them tasted good. WE left them all with just two bites out of them:

The crepe Crepe a la pomme et cannelle, glace vanille, caramel jus de pommes - Crepes filled with cinnamon, apple, vanilla ice cream and apple caramel sauce $7.25 [

Profiteroles: Profiteroles au chocolat - Puff choux with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce $7.25

Creme Brulee - Vanilla creme brulee served with a Madeleine $7.25

Chocolate sorbet:

Some sort of chocolate cake

The Good: Actually my fruits of the sea was decent

The Bad: Almost all the 'other food'...especially the desserts

The Ugly: Our waitstaff...I mean I know the French are all about love, but come on brotha!

Last edited by ChrissyBeth29; 06-13-2011 at 01:14 PM.
ChrissyBeth29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: