Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #781
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Hmm, well I failed the run after the 20 minute run. I ran the first 15 minutes with some difficulty and then the 3 minute walk was tough and after 5 minutes of the second run, I just hit a wall and could not continue. I am still so disgusted with myself and that was on friday! I have been in a funk all weekend and too embarrassed to come on here and tell you all about my failure. Now I realize it wasnt really a failure and my body just needs another few days to complete that run, but I cant get over it. I am so disappointed. I was all gung ho about downloading a 10k training app since I only have a few more runs till I should be able to run a 5k, but now I just dont want to. The wind has completely gone out of my sails, as they say.

Any helpful pointers on how to get over this kind of setback?

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #782
cjnix29
DIS Veteran

You just have to get back out and run! You are not going to have a great run every day. Each day is a new one, and forget about yesterday's run. You have every opportunity to make this next one a good one. The only way you fail is by not trying again!!! And something to think about for your actual run....before I did my first one, I couldn't run the whole thing in my practice runs. So you know what....I still went to the run and gave it my best shot. Did I run it all? No, but I finished. The second one I did....I couldn't run the whole thing either, but I beat my time by 5 minutes! Now, I'm training for a half marathon! You can do it, just get back out and run!!!
2005 OKW, first trip with DS
2006 WL
2007 POLYNESIAN 2008 All Star Music
2009 Surprise birthday trip for DS offsite
2009 Holidays at the World , POFQ
2010 New countertops, or Disney?....,we chose the Contemporary, Club Level MK view and the Yacht Club!
Trip Report from the most awesome trip ever! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2565514
2012 BLT
8/25/12 First Cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate over 130 pounds lost!
cjnix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #783
Macca1111
I wish I were at WDW!
I'm good at the graceful stuff
Why would you put Ivy in the title if it's never going to come up again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperJ View Post
I've been meaning to start a program like this for some time now, but never "had" (made) time for it. But after joining the forum here and stumbling across this section I'm proud to say today was my W1D1. I downloaded the phone app, loaded my itunes into it and hit the gym. Thanks for the inspiration.

Macca1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #784
Macca1111
I wish I were at WDW!
I'm good at the graceful stuff
Why would you put Ivy in the title if it's never going to come up again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
Hmm, well I failed the run after the 20 minute run.

Any helpful pointers on how to get over this kind of setback?
I've said it somewhere else...maybe on this thread already? but I have never successfully done the 20 minute run during training. I made it up to about 18 minutes while I was in Florida, but I could never get past that 20 minute barrier. It really freaked me out and frustrated me as I approached my first Everest 5K - I didn't want to let my sister down.

Adrenaline is a powerful tool - I was able to run the whole thing in a pretty decent time (I did remark for the last mile or so that I was going to throw up, and my sister's response was no you're not, keep running) and then kept running around to the trivia spots. I did even worse (I felt) at training while back in Colorado this past year but still was able to run this past Everest 5K, again without stopping...this time I hadn't even made it up to 10 minute runs.

I still have days where I get frustrated by what seems like a setback, where I'm not as strong as I would have expected, but I have to remember that I am SO much stronger that when I first started these Disney races - the first time I started C25K I couldn't even do Week 1 - 60 seconds was WAY too long for me to run. Be kind to yourself, and remember how far you've come!

Macca1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #785
Raenstoirm

Well I am happy to report.... I did it!

I altered the run slightly. I was supposed to run 15 -walk 3 -run 10, but I got a little paranoid about failing again. I added an extra 2 minutes of walking in the middle so I ended up with run 15- walk 5- run 10 and I added 2 minutes extra cool down since I was breathing rather heavy. The last 2 minutes were really really tough, so i am glad I added a little more walking. The next run is a 20 run- 3 walk- 5 run. I am confident I will be able to do that one. After running 20 minutes, 5 more minutes should be easy, right? Guess I'll find out!
After that run, we are done with breaks in the middle. Time to starting working up my time.

Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #786
cjnix29
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I altered the run slightly. I was supposed to run 15 -walk 3 -run 10, but I got a little paranoid about failing again. I added an extra 2 minutes of walking in the middle so I ended up with run 15- walk 5- run 10 and I added 2 minutes extra cool down since I was breathing rather heavy. The last 2 minutes were really really tough, so i am glad I added a little more walking. The next run is a 20 run- 3 walk- 5 run. I am confident I will be able to do that one. After running 20 minutes, 5 more minutes should be easy, right? Guess I'll find out!
After that run, we are done with breaks in the middle. Time to starting working up my time.
Way to get back on the horse!!!!
2005 OKW, first trip with DS
2006 WL
2007 POLYNESIAN 2008 All Star Music
2009 Surprise birthday trip for DS offsite
2009 Holidays at the World , POFQ
2010 New countertops, or Disney?....,we chose the Contemporary, Club Level MK view and the Yacht Club!
Trip Report from the most awesome trip ever! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2565514
2012 BLT
8/25/12 First Cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate over 130 pounds lost!
cjnix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #787
kinntj
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Way to go! That's better than giving up. You're such an inspiration for me since I haven't started the program yet. I signed up for a Good form running class at our local running store. They also have a couch to 5k class, but I missed the deadline. I plan on taking it in the spring and they automatically sign you up for a local race at the end. Something for me to look forward to and can shed some pounds.

We're back from our June 2014 Aulani trip!

Currently reading: 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
2014 Book challenge: 12
Insurgent, Allegiant, Eat Sleep Move, Unbroken,
kinntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #788
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Way to stick with it! Better to make some modifications than throw in the towel. Don't worry, it doesn't seem like it in the beginning, but it does get easier. I started with C25K last spring and I am now training for my first marathon. So far my longest distance is 15 miles. Later this week I have 17 miles on the training plan.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
ColleenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #789
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

Just getting ready for week 3 of C25K.
I am trying.
Hate exercise, but at 52 have to do SOMETHING...

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #790
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Ugh. Major fail. This is my 2nd time trying C25K and I'm lagging once again at same spot.

Week #4

I tried last night. I really did, but just couldn't finish. Day One called for:

1/4 mile jogging
1/8 mile walking
1/2 mile jogging (KILLED me!)
1/4 mile walking
1/4 mile jogging
1/8 mile walking
1/2 mile jogging (THIS is where I quit.)

I just couldn't take doing another 1/2 mile on top of what I had already done. The walking does not rest me adequately. My legs were like jelly and I felt faint. Not sure why I can't seem to progress past this. I've been working on this since April and was making good progress, but I always get hung up on this week.

I cannot even fathom trying Week #5!
threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #791
Suzanne033
Nobody on their deathbed ever wishes they spent more time at the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom
Ugh. Major fail. This is my 2nd time trying C25K and I'm lagging once again at same spot.

Week #4

I tried last night. I really did, but just couldn't finish. Day One called for:

1/4 mile jogging
1/8 mile walking
1/2 mile jogging (KILLED me!)
1/4 mile walking
1/4 mile jogging
1/8 mile walking
1/2 mile jogging (THIS is where I quit.)

I just couldn't take doing another 1/2 mile on top of what I had already done. The walking does not rest me adequately. My legs were like jelly and I felt faint. Not sure why I can't seem to progress past this. I've been working on this since April and was making good progress, but I always get hung up on this week.

I cannot even fathom trying Week #5!
I always do the time option as opposed to the distance option. To me it feel easier knowing I am done in 30 seconds rather than another 500 yards.
1986 - Off-Site; 1997 - Thanksgiving - Polynesian; 2001 - Christmas - All Star Sports; 2004 - Beach Club/Disney Wonder; 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 - AAU Volleyball Nationals @ WWoS; 2013 - Mom Panel Training - Boardwalk; 2014 - Christmas - Grand Floridian

MouseQuest Podcast - The MQ is your HQ for all things Disney
Suzanne033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #792
Raenstoirm

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Hang in there. You can push past this hurdle!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne033 View Post
I always do the time option as opposed to the distance option. To me it feel easier knowing I am done in 30 seconds rather than another 500 yards.
I do time as well. I started out with distance and it was too hard to judge the next marker (when I was running outside). Then it got hot out and I stopped. I restarted c25k on the treadmill a few weeks back.

On that note, I have successfully completed my last run with a break in between (w7d1). It took 2 weeks to finally beat that sucker, but I did! Monday I get to run 26 minutes straight! At my speed, that is 2 and 1/8 miles.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #793
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

Ug, is it normal to have "off" days? My past two runs have been amazing. i was able to do 6minutes without stop, and the next, eight. (believe me, eight minutes for me is a big deal) Today, I wasn't able to go eight minutes without feeling like crap. I'm wondering if I should try again later today, or just try tomorrow evening?
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #794
Raenstoirm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lttlmc3 View Post
Ug, is it normal to have "off" days? My past two runs have been amazing. i was able to do 6minutes without stop, and the next, eight. (believe me, eight minutes for me is a big deal) Today, I wasn't able to go eight minutes without feeling like crap. I'm wondering if I should try again later today, or just try tomorrow evening?
I have had bad days here and there and even some runs that took a long time to finally complete. W7D1 took three tries to complete for example. Taking a day or two or three days off seems to work best for me.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #795
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Even experienced runners have off days. It happens. Just move on to the next day. I find somethimes taking a few days off helps too. Just don't let it get you down.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
ColleenG is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: