Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #736
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
It is a beach trip with dh's family. Walking is tough. My mother-in-law has a bad hip and has to sit every few feet it seems . I used to bring my pedometer, but getting less steps than a normal day at home just discouraged me! Add in restaruants at least 2 times a day and... I can swim in the ocean and I do. I guess I will have to plan to spend more time in the water this trip.
Can you go off on your own for 30 minutes a day? That is all C25K takes.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #737
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
It is a beach trip with dh's family. Walking is tough. My mother-in-law has a bad hip and has to sit every few feet it seems . I used to bring my pedometer, but getting less steps than a normal day at home just discouraged me! Add in restaruants at least 2 times a day and... I can swim in the ocean and I do. I guess I will have to plan to spend more time in the water this trip.
If you can do some swimming that will keep your cardio up. Whatever you can do to keep your fitness level.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
ColleenG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #738
vickalamode
DIS Veteran

Is it really bad for me to run 2 days in a row? I have an erratic work schedule and sometimes my day that I am supposed to run is a day where I work a 14 hour shift on my feet the whole day, and the last thing I want to do is get up early or stay up late to run on those days-BUT, I could easily fit it in on a different day, however that would mean I run 2 days in a row sometimes. I'm just curious what people think. I don't want to injure myself, but it's taken me about 10 days to finish the first week because I am afraid of running two days in a row if I'm not supposed to. And, I actually feel like I WANT to run more because I'm surprisingly enjoying it

Disney Trips...
1997-1998-2001-2002-2005-2007-2009-2010-2011

My Rapunzel and Flynn Rider Costumes for MNSSHP

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, I want it more than I can tell. And for once it might be grand, to have someone understand, I want so much more than they've got planned."
vickalamode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #739
maciec
AHHHH....Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?

Oh I hear ya about the long shifts. I work midnights 12 hour shifts. I have run 2 days in a row, but I am kind of stuck on week 4 rights now. I haven't felt comfortable moving past w4/d3. I took 3 days off and tried to go back and had to start over at w4/d1. Sometimes when I run 2 days in a row I will do 2 x w4/d1 and then skip a day and then do 2 x w4/d2. I don't think it's that bad but make sure that you are giving yourself close to a 24hr break between runs. At least for me that's comfort zone of running 2 days in a row. Ok, I'm rambling, I hope that makes sense lol

maciec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #740
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

There is nothing wrong with running two days in a row. Just listen to your body and do what feels right. With your kind of work schedule really take your time. Repeat weeks or days if you need to.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #741
Branabb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickalamode View Post
Is it really bad for me to run 2 days in a row? I have an erratic work schedule and sometimes my day that I am supposed to run is a day where I work a 14 hour shift on my feet the whole day, and the last thing I want to do is get up early or stay up late to run on those days-BUT, I could easily fit it in on a different day, however that would mean I run 2 days in a row sometimes. I'm just curious what people think. I don't want to injure myself, but it's taken me about 10 days to finish the first week because I am afraid of running two days in a row if I'm not supposed to. And, I actually feel like I WANT to run more because I'm surprisingly enjoying it
In the first 4 weeks or so, I ran two days in a row a few times because of schedule chaos. It was fine. It became difficult in week 6 for me to do two days in a row, and then do the last run of the week 2 days later. It was the 3rd run of the week that I struggled in.

I got through the runs, but it was really tough. If I ran the 3rd day after 2 days rest, I still didn't have enough gas in the tank to really push the last 1/3 of the route. If I went on 3 days rest, I had a lot of soreness the day after.

So, I think it is fine to do 2 days in a row, but you will have to pay attention to what your body is saying. If I had it to do over, I would have stopped my run and walked it out. Then do the 3rd run a day later. I am better at paying attention to my body now. I know when it's not a good day to run pretty quickly, and I slow it down to a walk for that day.
Branabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #742
vickalamode
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the advice everyone. That was pretty much what I was thinking but I just wanted to hear other people confirm that it would be okay as long as I felt up to it and don't overextend myself. My goal is to finish by the end of August.

Disney Trips...
1997-1998-2001-2002-2005-2007-2009-2010-2011

My Rapunzel and Flynn Rider Costumes for MNSSHP

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, I want it more than I can tell. And for once it might be grand, to have someone understand, I want so much more than they've got planned."
vickalamode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #743
C_leen
DIS Veteran

Week 8

Hi runners! Just here to cheer you on. I did C25K successfully in 2007 and am now trying again to return to running. Tonight my dog could not keep up so I had to walk most of my route. It would seem it is just me now as I go for 28 minutes straight... I love how my stress gets wiped out of my brain! Keep pounding the pavement!
2/2014 Princess HALF
C_leen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #744
poohlover
DIS Veteran

Hi all: new to this thread. I came to WISH hoping to make a journal or something, but I've found so many supportive threads I may just do this!

I began the Couch25K back in Jan, but between being sick and kids activities I totally got off track. Just ran W2 D1 yesterday, hoping to run again this afternoon. My schedule is so crazy with work, school, family I need you all to keep me going!

How does everyone do it? Do you schedule a specific time to exercise? Any tips to keep going will be greatly appreciated! I work 15 hours a week, am on call 24/7, beginning full time grad school in the fall , and have 2 in high school this year. Help me stay motivated!
poohlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #745
dsnygrl21
Mouseketeer

YAY! After injury and changing my running shoes I am finally just finished with W9D2 today!

I am afraid that I am not running at a 10 minute/mile pace as this is suppose to gear you for. I am more doing a 2.5 mile pace per 29 minutes...

Hoping to pump up my mileage to 3. Running my first ever 5K on Saturday!!

Disney Fairytale Wedding PJ 9-22-12
Only trips after High school listed:
'03-'04 CP MK PG & Conductor
11/03 YCR
04/04 CR
10/05 POP
08/06 Off-site
05/07 POP
05/08 Off-site
10/10 Engagement trip AKL CL
03-04/11 First DVC Stay POP/BCV
08/11 Big Family Trip OKW/BLT

01/13 Disneymoon BLT TPV
dsnygrl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #746
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnygrl21 View Post
YAY! After injury and changing my running shoes I am finally just finished with W9D2 today!

I am afraid that I am not running at a 10 minute/mile pace as this is suppose to gear you for. I am more doing a 2.5 mile pace per 29 minutes...

Hoping to pump up my mileage to 3. Running my first ever 5K on Saturday!!
Don't worry too much about your pace. I did C25K a year ago and I am no where near doing a 10 minute mile, but I can run 13 miles!
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
ColleenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #747
mpeanut
Mouseketeer

stuck

Does anyone have any advice - I can't seem to run for more than 18 minutes straight. I've been using C25K, but I am stuck at the 15 min run, 5 min walk workout (the end of week 6 on my app). I tried to make the 20 minutes, but I have some kind of block and if it's not a stomach cramp or feeling like I"ll throw up then it is my legs hurting. I have gone back a week and tried to build up to the 20 minutes again, but no luck this morning. It may just be a mental block, but I want to overcome it. I signed up for a 5k in 5 weeks and would really like to be able to run most of it without walking. Any tips?
Old 06-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #748
dsnygrl21
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickalamode View Post
I have run 2 days in a row many times! Schedules are hard to exercise around, but good for you to keep at it! Usually, when I have to plan 2 days in a row running, I make the first run a little easier. Maybe at a bit slower of a pace. The second run I make sure I run at my normal pace for the entire time. This way I don't hurt myself or get so tired that I only give half effort for both runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohlover View Post
Hi all: new to this thread. I came to WISH hoping to make a journal or something, but I've found so many supportive threads I may just do this!

I began the Couch25K back in Jan, but between being sick and kids activities I totally got off track. Just ran W2 D1 yesterday, hoping to run again this afternoon. My schedule is so crazy with work, school, family I need you all to keep me going!

How does everyone do it? Do you schedule a specific time to exercise? Any tips to keep going will be greatly appreciated! I work 15 hours a week, am on call 24/7, beginning full time grad school in the fall , and have 2 in high school this year. Help me stay motivated!
You are doing great already! Coming on here and looking for encouragement is awesome! Try to plan out your whole week the week prior so that you know exactly when you will have time to run, and maybe a back-up time or two just in case something pops up. I think having more chances for you to run will guarantee that you get your runs in. Just make sure to keep at it, and you will be doing fine! Good luck and congrats for getting motivated even with your busy schedule! You are awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
Don't worry too much about your pace. I did C25K a year ago and I am no where near doing a 10 minute mile, but I can run 13 miles!
That is so awesome to hear! I really was trying to push myself to get to that 10 minute mile but you really put me at rest a bit. It's not about the speed, but the endurance! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeanut View Post
Does anyone have any advice - I can't seem to run for more than 18 minutes straight. I've been using C25K, but I am stuck at the 15 min run, 5 min walk workout (the end of week 6 on my app). I tried to make the 20 minutes, but I have some kind of block and if it's not a stomach cramp or feeling like I"ll throw up then it is my legs hurting. I have gone back a week and tried to build up to the 20 minutes again, but no luck this morning. It may just be a mental block, but I want to overcome it. I signed up for a 5k in 5 weeks and would really like to be able to run most of it without walking. Any tips?
You know what helps me get my mind off of the time when I am running(and hurting) is I go through my body and think about how I am running. I start my head, looking straight ahead. Not up or down or to either side. I make sure my shoulders are loose and not up by my ears, lol. Then I make sure that my arms are bent at a 90 degree angle and not going across my body as I pump them back and forth. That makes you waste more energy. I make sure that my hands aren't clenched into fists but relaxed, as if I am holding onto two fresh from the chicken eggs. Then I think about my legs, landing underneath my body, not in front of myself and pushing off at the end, making myself move forward. At the end of that I think about my breathing and making sure that I am giving myself ample oxygen so as not to get a cramp. By the time I've gone through everything that I am supposed to be doing, I've gone another few minutes. If you aren't thinking about the time, you can easily lose track of it!

If your BODY is telling you that it can't run anymore, listen to it. Maybe you have to take a 30 second or minute break in the middle of your 20 minute run. There is nothing wrong with understanding your body and taking the break necessary. Make sure you also drink plenty of fluids the day before runs to make the runs a little easier on you. Good luck in the future and YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Disney Fairytale Wedding PJ 9-22-12
Only trips after High school listed:
'03-'04 CP MK PG & Conductor
11/03 YCR
04/04 CR
10/05 POP
08/06 Off-site
05/07 POP
05/08 Off-site
10/10 Engagement trip AKL CL
03-04/11 First DVC Stay POP/BCV
08/11 Big Family Trip OKW/BLT

01/13 Disneymoon BLT TPV
dsnygrl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #749
Princess Peach
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeanut View Post
It sounds a little strange, but my advice is to slow down. I had trouble making it even 10 minutes at a time, but once I slowed down, I was able to run 35 - 40 minutes. Slow down, take smaller steps, hydrate up. All of these helped me. That and I tell myself over and over. "You can do this. And you can do it better than yesterday."
August 2009 - Pop Century - 10 nights/Free Dining
August 2010 - Pop Century - 10 nights/ Free Dining (bounceback)
August 2011 - Pop Century - 10 nights/Free Dining
August 2012 - POFQ - 10 nights/Free Dining

WDW Trip Report Blog

Princess Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #750
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

I also find that changing out what you are listening helps, granted I havent been to the point you are at in years (just restarted W1D1 this morning in fact). Listening to a podcast or book on tape might be what you need to keep your attention diverted from the run. I found I was actually irritated when the little voice on the app said "workout finished" because I wanted to keep listening and I only let myself listen is when I am running.

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: