Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #721
maciec
AHHHH....Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?

My speed is still petty low I guess by runners standards. I started at a 4.7 and now I'm up to 4.9 on the treadmill. I live that my legs are starting to be less jiggly. Lol. I am just still working off baby weight from last year. I've got about 10lbs to go. I know I haven't lost any weight but I can definitely see a change in my body!

Congrats on a year! My husband is a distance runner and has signed himself up for the Marine Corp Marathon in October. He hasn't run really in a year due to injury, but he been a runner all of his life so it won't take him long to get up to the 26 miles. Wish I was that lucky!

maciec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #722
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

I finally finished couch to 5k. I never thought I would ever be able to run for 30 min continuous. Honestly it was tough but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. There was probably only 1 day when I felt I wasn’t going to be able to finish. Maybe next I will try for 10k. Good luck for all who are doing couch to 5k. If I can do it you can too.

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 75 of 75:
1.A Shade of Blood, 2.A Castle of Sand, 3.Takedown Twenty, 4.Louisiana Longshot, 5.Dirty Little Secrets, 6.The One You Love, 7.The One You Fear, 8.Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, 9.Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, 10.Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, 11.Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 12.Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 13.Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, 14.Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, 15.A Shadow of Light, 16.Hollow City, 17.Room, 18.The Barkeep, 19.A Blaze of Sun, 20.I Think I Love You, 21.Broken, 22.Body Movers, 23.A Gate of Night, 24.Trudge, 25.Soldier On, 26.In Harm’s Way, 27.A Pound of Flesh, 28.Taboo, 29.Hide and Seek, 30.Daddy’s Home, 31.Weddings Can Be Murder, 32.The Undead Heart, 33.Moving Day, 34.Monument 14, 35.Sky on Fire, 36.Savage Drift, 37.NOS4A2, 38.Her Last Breath, 39.One Lavender Ribbon, 40.Innocent in Las Vegas, 41.Saving Grace, 42.To Kill For, Awakening, 43.City of Bones, 44.City of Ashes, 45.City of Glass, 46.City of Fallen Angels, 47.City of Lost Souls, 48.City of Heavenly Fire, 49.A Break of Day, 50.The Gray and Guilty Sea, 51.Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes, 52.The Profiler, 53.Too Close To Home, 54.Hushabye, 55.The Girl Who Never Came Back, 56.Fatal Debt, 57.Deadly Bonds, 58.Kill The Competition, 59.Got Your Number, 60.In Deep Voodoo, 61.Crazy Little Things, 62.My Sister’s Grave, 63.Invisible, 64.Taken, 65.Love and Decay, 66.Episode 1, 67.Darkhouse, 68.Invisible(Ivy Malone #1), 69.Not What She Seems, 70.Tuesday’s Child, 71.The Best Medicine, 72.Castle Cay, 73.Hidden Secrets, 74.The Mind Readers, 75.Eleven
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #723
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippitydoo View Post
I finally finished couch to 5k. I never thought I would ever be able to run for 30 min continuous. Honestly it was tough but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. There was probably only 1 day when I felt I wasn’t going to be able to finish. Maybe next I will try for 10k. Good luck for all who are doing couch to 5k. If I can do it you can too.
Way to go! You should definately be able to move on to a 10K. I did it with Bridge to 10K, which is the next plan after C25K. I started exactly a year ago and have run a bunch of 5Ks, a 10K and 2 Half Marathons. Now I am training to do the Disney World full Marathon in January.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
ColleenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #724
maciec

Congrats!!!!! That's awesome! I am on w4/d2 and the only time I felt like I was done with the program was yesterday. I think that's because I had taken more than one day off between runs. I took 2. Didn't think it was going to make that much of a difference, but I struggled for the first time. I love what this program is doing to my body! I can definitely tell at I have slimmed down. Haven't lost any weight yet, but I know I've lost inches!

Old 05-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #725
WaDiWo
WDWFan!

couch to 5k is awesome, and really worked for me.
there are a lot of versions out there, I used the one from coolrunning.com and robert ullrey's c25k podcasts www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm. the music's just ok, but he gives audio cues and encouragement of when to walk and run, etc.

And of course the goal is to do a 5k race, hopefully a runDisney 5k!

(I happened to write a post on Disney's Castaway Cay 5k today on my blog, see below).

My blog: I achieved my goal January 12, 2014! see how I did it: Couch to Goofy Marathon and a Half Challenge!
Hear my interview about achieving this goal on the Runner Academy Everyday Runners podcast.
My Castaway Cay 5k trip report HERE
Packing for a Disney Trip or Cruise? Check out my free ultimate packing (and to-do) list here.
WaDiWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #726
vickalamode
DIS Veteran

Joining the thread...I have been thinking about doing C25K for a looong time but never got around to it, and decided to stop procrastinating today. I have NEVER been a runner, but my New Year's resolution this year has been to better my life and make it what I want it to be and I am working on all of those goals-got myself out of a stressful and abusive relationship, am enrolled to go back to college for my BS (I only have an AS now), get back into shape (I gained 30lbs while in the relationship-and he didn't want me to try to lose weight because CLEARLY that meant I was trying to lose weight so I could cheat on him...did I mention stressful and abusive relationship?)

So, here I am. I did my first run today and I pretty much felt like I was going to die on W1D1. I had to take a 5 minute break on a park bench halfway through, but I finished it. I am seriously *not* a runner, but hopefully this program will help me be able to do it without feeling like I am going to die. BUT, I do feel good now that it is over and proud of myself for doing it.

Did anyone else really struggle in the beginning? Any tips?

Disney Trips...
1997-1998-2001-2002-2005-2007-2009-2010-2011

My Rapunzel and Flynn Rider Costumes for MNSSHP

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, I want it more than I can tell. And for once it might be grand, to have someone understand, I want so much more than they've got planned."
vickalamode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #727
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickalamode View Post
So, here I am. I did my first run today and I pretty much felt like I was going to die on W1D1. I had to take a 5 minute break on a park bench halfway through, but I finished it. I am seriously *not* a runner, but hopefully this program will help me be able to do it without feeling like I am going to die. BUT, I do feel good now that it is over and proud of myself for doing it.

Everyone stuggles in the beginning. If we didn't we wouldn't need the C25K, right?

My advice to you is SLOW DOWN. If you can't complete the run portions then slow them down to where you can complete them. Don't worry about speed. It is about building endurance for now. Speed will come later. Heck, your run can even be slower than your walk portion if you need. Just make sure you are using running form since it uses completely different muscles than walking.

Also, like the poster above, I cannot take off more than one day of running or else I slide backwards big time. I do every other day at minimum. It's what works for me.

I did C25K for the first time two years ago. Ran a few 5Ks a 10K and two half marathons. Then I stopped running. Going back was so hard I had to start with the C25K again. I am moving on to the B210K next week then right into half marathon training for an October race, which is basically a training run for the WDW FULL Marathon that I'm doing in January. The program does work! Just go slow and steady and you will get there.

BTW, do you have good running shoes? If not, don't run again untl you do get them.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #728
maciec

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickalamode View Post

Definitely slow down. I also agree that shoes make a difference in your runs. Make sure you arent running in a walking shoe. You'll make it. As my husband says and I roll my eyes at as I'm dying "the pain is only temporary"

Old 05-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #729
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Like others have said slow down. I am in week 4 and I have to slow down on the 5 minute jogs. My goal for my 5K next month is to not stop. As long as I am jogging I am winning.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #730
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
Way to go! You should definately be able to move on to a 10K. I did it with Bridge to 10K, which is the next plan after C25K. I started exactly a year ago and have run a bunch of 5Ks, a 10K and 2 Half Marathons. Now I am training to do the Disney World full Marathon in January.
Thanks for suggesting Bridge to 10k. Today I completed W1D2. So far I’m doing ok.

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 75 of 75:
1.A Shade of Blood, 2.A Castle of Sand, 3.Takedown Twenty, 4.Louisiana Longshot, 5.Dirty Little Secrets, 6.The One You Love, 7.The One You Fear, 8.Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, 9.Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, 10.Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, 11.Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 12.Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 13.Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, 14.Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, 15.A Shadow of Light, 16.Hollow City, 17.Room, 18.The Barkeep, 19.A Blaze of Sun, 20.I Think I Love You, 21.Broken, 22.Body Movers, 23.A Gate of Night, 24.Trudge, 25.Soldier On, 26.In Harm’s Way, 27.A Pound of Flesh, 28.Taboo, 29.Hide and Seek, 30.Daddy’s Home, 31.Weddings Can Be Murder, 32.The Undead Heart, 33.Moving Day, 34.Monument 14, 35.Sky on Fire, 36.Savage Drift, 37.NOS4A2, 38.Her Last Breath, 39.One Lavender Ribbon, 40.Innocent in Las Vegas, 41.Saving Grace, 42.To Kill For, Awakening, 43.City of Bones, 44.City of Ashes, 45.City of Glass, 46.City of Fallen Angels, 47.City of Lost Souls, 48.City of Heavenly Fire, 49.A Break of Day, 50.The Gray and Guilty Sea, 51.Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes, 52.The Profiler, 53.Too Close To Home, 54.Hushabye, 55.The Girl Who Never Came Back, 56.Fatal Debt, 57.Deadly Bonds, 58.Kill The Competition, 59.Got Your Number, 60.In Deep Voodoo, 61.Crazy Little Things, 62.My Sister’s Grave, 63.Invisible, 64.Taken, 65.Love and Decay, 66.Episode 1, 67.Darkhouse, 68.Invisible(Ivy Malone #1), 69.Not What She Seems, 70.Tuesday’s Child, 71.The Best Medicine, 72.Castle Cay, 73.Hidden Secrets, 74.The Mind Readers, 75.Eleven
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #731
vickalamode
DIS Veteran

I took the advice posted here and slowed it down and am doing much better Still challenging since I am NOT a runner but I'm getting better!

Disney Trips...
1997-1998-2001-2002-2005-2007-2009-2010-2011

My Rapunzel and Flynn Rider Costumes for MNSSHP

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, I want it more than I can tell. And for once it might be grand, to have someone understand, I want so much more than they've got planned."
vickalamode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #732
WaDiWo
WDWFan!

The beauty of couch to 5k is the gradual progress. The best advice I got about it was this: do NOT go ahead of schedule even if you feel you can run longer. It works because each day is a victory, no matter how small, and the sense of accomplishment of even increasing your running from 60 seconds to 90 seconds is enough to propel you forward!

My blog: I achieved my goal January 12, 2014! see how I did it: Couch to Goofy Marathon and a Half Challenge!
Hear my interview about achieving this goal on the Runner Academy Everyday Runners podcast.
My Castaway Cay 5k trip report HERE
Packing for a Disney Trip or Cruise? Check out my free ultimate packing (and to-do) list here.
WaDiWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #733
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Ok, trying this again. I think I have started this 10 times before and somewhere in the middle of the program, life gets in the way and I stop. My community holds a charity 5k Labor Day Saturday every year. Registration opens up on the 8th. Maybe if I have already put out money towards a race, I will finally finish the program!
I do have one issue....I will be going away for 10 days in 5 weeks. Although it is all fine and dandy to say I will run while I am gone, there really is no place to do so and our schedule really doesnt allow for getting up early to run (before it gets hot) when we go to bed at 3am. 3am is not my choice, but I go on this trip every year with the same group and 3am is when we get back to the hotel (no way around this). So how do I deal with this? Do I redo say week 4 when I get back and then start from there? I am not sure how much ground you lose when you are half way through the program. These are the kind of situations that normally make me not go back to the program and hence why I have restarted so many times! But if I have this race upcoming, I am going to have to get back on the horse when we return!

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #734
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
Ok, trying this again. I think I have started this 10 times before and somewhere in the middle of the program, life gets in the way and I stop. My community holds a charity 5k Labor Day Saturday every year. Registration opens up on the 8th. Maybe if I have already put out money towards a race, I will finally finish the program!
I do have one issue....I will be going away for 10 days in 5 weeks. Although it is all fine and dandy to say I will run while I am gone, there really is no place to do so and our schedule really doesnt allow for getting up early to run (before it gets hot) when we go to bed at 3am. 3am is not my choice, but I go on this trip every year with the same group and 3am is when we get back to the hotel (no way around this). So how do I deal with this? Do I redo say week 4 when I get back and then start from there? I am not sure how much ground you lose when you are half way through the program. These are the kind of situations that normally make me not go back to the program and hence why I have restarted so many times! But if I have this race upcoming, I am going to have to get back on the horse when we return!
Try to pick up where you left off when you return from your trip. Will you be able to do some other kind of work out while you're away? Even just getting some walking in is something. When you get back if running seems to hard, repeat a week. Signing up for a race is a great motivator. I did the Princess Half marathon for the first time this year. Last year I signed up as soon as I could so knowing I had laid out the money for it kept me going.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
ColleenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #735
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
Try to pick up where you left off when you return from your trip. Will you be able to do some other kind of work out while you're away? Even just getting some walking in is something. When you get back if running seems to hard, repeat a week. Signing up for a race is a great motivator. I did the Princess Half marathon for the first time this year. Last year I signed up as soon as I could so knowing I had laid out the money for it kept me going.
It is a beach trip with dh's family. Walking is tough. My mother-in-law has a bad hip and has to sit every few feet it seems . I used to bring my pedometer, but getting less steps than a normal day at home just discouraged me! Add in restaruants at least 2 times a day and... I can swim in the ocean and I do. I guess I will have to plan to spend more time in the water this trip.

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: