Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #631
itsbaker
Earning My Ears

I haven't posted in the thread for a while, but I'm still running. Yesterday I did W6D3 and ended up continuing on for 30 minutes instead of 25. I'm moving slowly, but I'm moving. I did 2.25 miles in that time. I'm less than 2 weeks away from my first 5K and I'm feeling pretty confident that I'm going to be able to run most, if not all of it!

After that race, there's a race in November that runs through a local park's light display which I want to do, and then I'm planning on running the 5K on Castaway Cay during our Magic cruise this November.

First cruise on Disney Magic was out of this world 11/26/11

itsbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #632
itsbaker
Earning My Ears

I've been consistently running between 2.5 and 3.2 miles in my runs for the last 4 times out. Today I did my last run before my first 5K and I did 2.8 miles in 35 minutes. Sunday is my first 5K and then I'm signed up to do another one the week after.

I hope that anyone who's thinking of starting to run will take comfort knowing that even a big guy like me has been able to make the leap and get up to running three miles in just 8 weeks. Amazing. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #633
GaRain
DIS Veteran

Way to go!!! I hope you do great on your first official 5K.
I had stalled in my program, but finished week 5 on Tuesday.
Hoping to start week 6 on Saturday at the gym.
I still haven't picked up my pace enough to call it "running" though.
GaRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #634
darthspud
Mouseketeer

I've decided to start doing the couch to 5k tomorrow... I've been walking about a mile every 3-4 times a week and today I even started to jog a little and it felt great I wasn't horribly winded i even felt incredibly energetic afterwards... even after walking for several weeks I've lost inches off the waist and just feel wonderful

I downloaded the app on my iphone and can't wait to try it

possible goal is royal family 5k in Feb if i can find cheap enough flights
Old 10-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #635
itsbaker
Earning My Ears

Welcome Darth! Good luck with the program. I just "graduated" as I ran my first 5K this past weekend. I was able to meet my two goals for the race which were to run the entire way and finish in under 40 minutes. Considering how hilly the course was, I was very happy to have been able to keep up my pace and finish in 39:48.

Just listen to your body, make sure you get your rest days and don't try to do too much too fast. If you feel pain, slow down, don't worry about distance at first, just focus on the time and you'll do fine.

I think that is all the good advice I took from this thread and the C25K threads at runners world. As its been said by many, if I can do it, anyone can do it.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #636
darthspud
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbaker View Post
Welcome Darth! Good luck with the program. I just "graduated" as I ran my first 5K this past weekend. I was able to meet my two goals for the race which were to run the entire way and finish in under 40 minutes. Considering how hilly the course was, I was very happy to have been able to keep up my pace and finish in 39:48.

Just listen to your body, make sure you get your rest days and don't try to do too much too fast. If you feel pain, slow down, don't worry about distance at first, just focus on the time and you'll do fine.

I think that is all the good advice I took from this thread and the C25K threads at runners world. As its been said by many, if I can do it, anyone can do it.
Thanks! I just finished my first day I only let myself stop once and it was for less then a minute then I made myself get up and get going... I just need to figure out a few logistics ie: my keys feel out of my hoodie and i can't just not carry them because I live in a locked building and my iPhone kept bouncing around driving my nuts... any one have any suggestions?

I have to take the next 2 days off since I have to work tomorrow night and the night after that I'll be on a plane but I plan on doing it friday and I just don't know if I have it in me yet to work out 2 days in a row to run on saturday...
Old 10-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #637
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthspud View Post
Thanks! I just finished my first day I only let myself stop once and it was for less then a minute then I made myself get up and get going... I just need to figure out a few logistics ie: my keys feel out of my hoodie and i can't just not carry them because I live in a locked building and my iPhone kept bouncing around driving my nuts... any one have any suggestions?

I have to take the next 2 days off since I have to work tomorrow night and the night after that I'll be on a plane but I plan on doing it friday and I just don't know if I have it in me yet to work out 2 days in a row to run on saturday...
I usually only need my car key if I go somewhere else to run. I take just it and put it through the strap of my watch. I use my cell phone for my music and for when I was using C25K. I would just hold it. If you don't think you can run 2 days in a row, try just walking the second day. I did this a lot when I was starting C25K. I wanted to do something to keep me going but not kill myself.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
ColleenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #638
lisateaches
Mouseketeer

I may have passed this post many times, funny how it stuck out to me today. I was exercising a good amount about two years ago. Then I had an injury and an unrelated surgery. Now I am slothish and I hate it. Tonight I got on the treadmill for 10 minutes. I ran one minute of that 10. I know it is not a lot, but it is something. I am going to start the couch to 5k tomorrow. I didn't feel out of break running the minute today- I just felt "heavy". I guess there is only one way to cure that!
2000 one day to MGM
2007- All Star Movie 2009-All Star Music 2011- Port Orleans French Quarter 2012- Port Orleans French Quarter
2015- Coronado Springs and Cabana Bay
lisateaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #639
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisateaches View Post
I may have passed this post many times, funny how it stuck out to me today. I was exercising a good amount about two years ago. Then I had an injury and an unrelated surgery. Now I am slothish and I hate it. Tonight I got on the treadmill for 10 minutes. I ran one minute of that 10. I know it is not a lot, but it is something. I am going to start the couch to 5k tomorrow. I didn't feel out of break running the minute today- I just felt "heavy". I guess there is only one way to cure that!
Way to go for deciding to make a change! You can totally do it!
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 10-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #640
akhaloha
Mouseketeer

I have decided to finally start the couch to 5K today. I can't believe I am actually saying this given I have never been a runner. Iím nervous because I am out of shape and donít like the idea of running, but I am going to commit to the program and see where it takes me.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #641
itsbaker
Earning My Ears

akhaloha and lisateaches - welcome and great job getting started! We've all been at the beginning and those are probably the hardest steps to take. Stick with the plan, don't try to rush yourself, get your rest in and you'll do great!

darthspud - Do you have anywhere that you can stash your keys and phone while you're running? I don't like to carry too much with me so I stash it behind a bush in the park and just pick it up on my way back. Also, don't worry about forcing all of your runs into a 7 day period if you can't fit them in. For a few weeks early on, I was leaving 2 days between each run because of pain in my knees, so I took an extra day each week. Remember that there is no reason to rush your progress.

AFM - today I ran my second 5K and finished 3 minutes faster than last week at 36:30. I definitely felt the extra effort and was working harder than I had the week before, but it was a lot of fun.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #642
bubba
Mouseketeer

I just downloaded and printed the Couch to 5K plan. I'm going to give it a go! I've been wanting to start running for ages now, but I think the time is here. I'm overweight and not in good shape at all, although, I am getting better since I started walking a while back. Looking at the program, I think I'll probably have to repeat weeks, but I'll be upright and moving and that in itself is a step in the right direction! Wish me luck!!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #643
indimom
Are We There Yet?

For all you new runners checking in, I just wanted to add my encouragement to the list. You can do this!!!

I did the C25K with a friend this summer and we finished around August/September. Neither of us were ever runners or involved in sports/athletics of any kind prior to this (well, maybe biking, as a kid ). We ran our first 5K in September. (Finished in 35 minutes, I think?)

The C25K plan is great, it breaks beginning running into steps you can accomplish without burning yourself out. (And don't fret if you have to repeat a week here or there, we repeated two of the nine when we just didn't feel ready to move on. We still finished!!).

And tonight I ran 5.5 miles in one hour!!! Honestly, I think I could have gone another half mile or mile with no trouble, but we're trying to keep our increases gradual. I never, ever would have believed this was possible back in May.

We are already signed up for the Indianapolis Mini Marathon in May 2012. Thirteen Miles here we come!!!

You can do it!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:17 AM   #644
Need2Bhealthy
Earning My Ears

hi everyone. I've been reading a bit about this program and I'm rather eager to try it. But, I get winded with walking for 5 minutes. I'm approximately 400lbs...The doctor has stated that it is OK to work out. Do you think couch to 5k is too much to start with? I don't want to be overwhelmed
Need2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #645
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need2Bhealthy View Post
hi everyone. I've been reading a bit about this program and I'm rather eager to try it. But, I get winded with walking for 5 minutes. I'm approximately 400lbs...The doctor has stated that it is OK to work out. Do you think couch to 5k is too much to start with? I don't want to be overwhelmed
Congratulations on making the decision to get fit. I think C25K is a great starting point. Maybe you would be best to start off building up your endurance for walking. See if you can walk for 10 minutes without feeling winded, then add in some jogging. Sometimes it can be hard to start something new and feel like its too hard. Kudos to you for making what is the hardest step, making a change! You can do it! Stick around here, there is so Much support and encouragement.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: