Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #616
itsbaker
Earning My Ears

After vowing to take a week off after my failed run last wednesday, I was able to complete W5D1 on the treadmill at the gym on Monday. I don't like running on the treadmill very much, but it does seem to be easier on my knees. I'm going to continue taking at least 2 or 3 days off between my runs until I can run pain free. I was planning on running W5D2 on Thursday, but then i remembered I have an appointment to get my bloodwork checked, so it'll either happen Thursday night or Friday morning.

This is a big checkup for me, as it's been 6 months since I was diagnosed with diabetes and 3 months since my A1C was checked last. It was under 6 that time. If its under 6 now, I'll feel a lot better about my nutrition.

First cruise on Disney Magic was out of this world 11/26/11

itsbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #617
DonaldDuckFamily
Mouseketeer

I just completed W5D1 today also . It didn't seem as hard as last week, but D2 and D3 really have me worried. I think I may be running to fast at a 5.5mph pace and yet I feel guilty if choose to slow down for D2. It is great to hear that it is working so well for everyone. Your posts are really keeping me motivated.
Offsite Feb 2004;AS Music April 2007;Coronado Springs March 2008;Port Orleans Riverside April 2009;POR February/March 2010;POR March/April 2011 ;Boardwalk Villas November 2011 (10th Anniversary celebration with DH );BWI March/April 2012; Beach Club March 2013; Christmas/NYE 2013 Polynesian/Boardwalk Inn; February 2014 Princess Half POP; Beach Club August 2014; BWI March 26th - April 4th 2015
DH Me DS 16 DD 11 : DS 9
DonaldDuckFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #618
Aulika
Mouseketeer

I am comiting to this program as of this week. My aim is to get in a better shape
For those who work on a treadmill what speed do you select as walk/jog ?
DLRP AP Holder since 2011
Aulika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #619
DonaldDuckFamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulika View Post
I am comiting to this program as of this week. My aim is to get in a better shape
Hi Aulika. That is the same question of been trying to get responses to on also. I've been running at 5.5 with 1.5% incline on my treadmill. It was ok at first but I am now on week 5 and getting through the run is really difficult. I wondered if I was going too fast. Good luck to this program.
Offsite Feb 2004;AS Music April 2007;Coronado Springs March 2008;Port Orleans Riverside April 2009;POR February/March 2010;POR March/April 2011 ;Boardwalk Villas November 2011 (10th Anniversary celebration with DH );BWI March/April 2012; Beach Club March 2013; Christmas/NYE 2013 Polynesian/Boardwalk Inn; February 2014 Princess Half POP; Beach Club August 2014; BWI March 26th - April 4th 2015
DH Me DS 16 DD 11 : DS 9
DonaldDuckFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #620
GaRain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This really is something that you have to figure out for yourself. You know your comfort level and how much you can push yourself.
Now, I started off slow, and I will never be a runner. The fastest I have gone is 4.2mph. I started my warm ups at 2.5mph and built it up every minute.
But now I am starting at 3mph for my warm up and building from there.
But you read about inclines and people going 5.5mph.....see it is really up to you.
I wish you luck - you will do great!
GaRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #621
Aulika
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your answer !
DLRP AP Holder since 2011
Aulika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #622
GaRain
DIS Veteran

Well, I should be doing W5D3 tonight, but I am doing my first 5K!
So, we will see how it goes since I have yet to complete that distance in my training....
Old 09-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #623
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Everyones speed is different. What you need to do is listen to your body. When running you should be able to carry on a conversation without to much difficulty. Don't huff and puff, don't get cramped up under your ribs.

My walk is usually around a 3.5 - 3.7 and my jog is between 4.0 - 4.5.

Make sure you hydrate a lot before you run. 6 -8oz glasses of water a day. And I have leg cramp issues and shin splints so I rub icy hot on my legs before I run.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #624
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaRain View Post
Well, I should be doing W5D3 tonight, but I am doing my first 5K!
So, we will see how it goes since I have yet to complete that distance in my training....

You can do it Lara!!! I did my first 5K at 5 weeks too. I was nervous but the adrenaline kicked in and I did a lot better then I expected.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #625
itsbaker
Earning My Ears

Last night I did W5D2 and felt pretty good while doing it. This weekend I'll do my first 20 minute run, which will include the first time I've run a mile non-stop since high school.

I agree with others that say speed isn't really important at this point. I'm running at about a 13 mpm pace, certainly not fast, but the key for me is being able to keep running through the whole interval and to stay pain free. I found that when I tried to run faster, thats when the little pains came in my legs or feet. As your body gets used to running and your ligaments and tendons grow accustomed to the stress of running, you can start thinking about increasing speed.

Remember, you're still going faster than all those people on the couch!

First cruise on Disney Magic was out of this world 11/26/11

itsbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #626
loislane
DIS Veteran

My advice is to play around with the speed until you find that point that is awkwardly between a really fast walk and a really slow jog. Bump the speed arrow up one notch and use that as your starting jogging pace. You can always adjust from there if needed, but that should put you at a nice slow and steady jog, which is where you want to start out.

For those of you running 5Ks that haven't actually run a whole 5K in their training yet. I did the same thing and it was just fine. You'll be surprised how pumped up and energized you will be on race day - not to say you won't get tired partway through, but it's a lot easier to keep going when there are 100 people around you pushing themselves, people on the sides cheering, etc.

I was NEVER a runner - even when I was thin in my younger days. Now, I'll be running my 3rd 5K on Sept. 25. My last time was just under 33 minutes - hoping to get closer to that magical 30 mark in this race.

8/18/13-8/29/13 Fort Wilderness
8/21/11-8/27/11 Pop Century
9/12/09-9/19/09 Pop Century
loislane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #627
moonbill2002
Earning My Ears

I used C25K last year in preparation for a 5K and ended up quitting just past the halfway mark. But I did run the 5k and did pretty good (for me). I finished in 35:06, which was a big surprise for me and I was very happy with that time. I am running that same 5K next month (in about 3 weeks), then a 10k on Thanksgiving, and the Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon at the end of January. Hoping I will be more prepared this time as I'm actually training!
moonbill2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #628
Disguy is nutz
Earning My Ears

C25k

Thanks for starting this thread! I am sooooo slow but I am on week 2 day 2. I run it in about 46 minutes but I am also 260 lbs and every 4 minutes I hit a hill. Has anybody run the Disney 5k? What are the hills like so I know how to train? I want to run the Disney 5k in January and hopefully the 13.1 JAnuary 2012. I welcome any advice!
can't wait for Cruise #2

Disguy is nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #629
GaRain
DIS Veteran

Well, I did finish my first 5K and that is saying something for me! Everyone left me behind - which was ok, I just plugged in my ear buds and listened to music. I was NOT prepared for hills though - and I was not able to run. The first 1/4 to 1/2 mile we were too bunched up to move much anyways.
Then the late runners kept running through - it was so annoying!
I finished in just over an hour - because I was not able to jog or run, so I am a little sad about my time.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #630
GaRain
DIS Veteran

I should have started week 6 last night. But I had not done any working out in over a week. So I just did 30 minutes with back and forth inclines and speed.
I definately need to start working on the incline in my training!
Ok, Wedneday, W6D1~!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: