Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #496
GaRain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Okay, now that I'm done with my rant about myself...I have a question for all of y'all here. On the Disney run website, I read that they want you to be able to do 1 mile in 15 or 16 minutes for their runs. I am nowhere near that pace since I just started. Am I the only one starting off so slow? Or did other people start off struggling with the running & with the pace time? I have not been a regular exerciser & I'm wondering if I can do this. Was anyone else like this when they started and, if so, have you seen improvement?

When I first started walking, I did a 22 minute mile. Right now, I am about a 20 minunte mile and hoping to improve with this routine.
GaRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #497
TMcDwyer
The true magic of Disney is experiencing it through the eyes of your children.

Quote:
Okay, now that I'm done with my rant about myself...I have a question for all of y'all here. On the Disney run website, I read that they want you to be able to do 1 mile in 15 or 16 minutes for their runs. I am nowhere near that pace since I just started. Am I the only one starting off so slow? Or did other people start off struggling with the running & with the pace time? I have not been a regular exerciser & I'm wondering if I can do this. Was anyone else like this when they started and, if so, have you seen improvement?
I started off SLOW too. Just keep going and the pace will pick up.

I went Coast-to-Coast in 2012!!! Princess 1/2 & Disneyland 1/2!!! Doing it again in 2014 - Tinkerbell & Princess!!! Hoping to go Dopey & Dumbo in 2015!!!
Disney Trips: Too many to count as a kid; Grand Floridian 1998; Off Site 2002; DL in 2003 & 2004; First trip as a Mom in December 2009; Disney Halloween 5K in 2011 (POFQ); 2012 Princess 1/2 (AKLKV); DL 1/2 in 2012 (PP); 2012 Family Trip to POR; 2013 AofA; 10/2013 CB for the TofT 10 Miler; 2014 Tink & Glass Slipper Challenge!!! Also...had the BEST TRIP ever to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in 2010 with my Mom! My Dream Trip ~ Tokyo Disneyland!
TMcDwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #498
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaRain View Post
When I first started walking, I did a 22 minute mile. Right now, I am about a 20 minunte mile and hoping to improve with this routine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcDwyer View Post
I started off SLOW too. Just keep going and the pace will pick up.
Thank y'all for the responses! It helps knowing I'm not the only one to start slow. My DH (even though he's out of shape, too) is so much faster than me so I was wondering if this program wasn't for people like me. But, now that I know I'm not alone, I'm going to try & persevere! Again, thanks!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #499
DIS_MERI
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxJags08 View Post
Great job! I think you'll be able to do W5D3 - just keep it slow. I have found that my pace per mile is actually slower for the days where there is no walk break. I don't know if it's inexperience and I just need to figure out what pace I can run at or if I just really will always do better with run/walk intervals.

The weather is kicking my butt! But I am DONE with week 6 I did the 25 minute run this morning. 78 degrees (doesn't sound bad) but with 94% humidity Not pleasant. My pace was a 12:30mpm. I so wish I could be faster, but I guess I should be happy that I finished without walking. I was barely able to do 90 seconds of running in the beginning without huffing and puffing and I am literally going from couch (doing no exercise for the past few years) to 5k. I need to cut myself some slack.

Also, kinda frustrated I have lost ZERO weight (actually gained 2 lbs) during these 6 weeks. I only had about 10 lbs to lose and haven't been really dieting, just counting on the extra exercise to do it for me. I guess I'm not in my 20's anymore and I have to actually pay attention to what I eat. OK, sorry - rant done.

My days of run/walk intervals for C25K are done . I don't know if I should still incorporate them though if I am planning on doing the Galloway training for half marathons since it is run/walk. For now I will try to just run.
Quote:
I have stopped weighing myself for this very reason. It is just to disappointing to not see the numbers drop. I will weigh myself after I finish C25K.

This is what I am planning to do too. I do W6D2 tomorrow and then it is all running after that. I am going to do the B210K next and I think there are some walk breaks in that.

Good for you!!! Keep going and you will be amazed what you can do!!!

I have also had some scale frustration, I had even cut out soda and no budge on the scale for quite a while (and I can normally drop soda and lose 3 lbs in a week). But, I have been walk a ton because of a mileage challenge going on with some friends and that seems to have helped, I've lost 5 lbs now, although I'd still like to lose 5 or 7 lbs. I'm at 142 miles walked/run in July so far and am aiming to get in at least 9 miles a day (and haven't started yet today, so I've got some walking to do! I did 9 straight miles yesterday) so I can have 200+ miles in by the end of our challenge July 31.

And, I followed C25K through W5D2 but now I am doing my own thing. Kinda a B210K thing, but not exactly. My long term goal is the Princess in Feb, but short term is a 5K Aug 6 and a 10K Sept 5. I like the walk breaks too much to give them up, lol, so I did 2 10 min runs on Sat with a 1-2 min walk between, tomorrow I will do 3 8 min runs, then 3 9s Thursday and 3 10s on Sat. The next week it will be 4 runs in increasing increments until I can finish a 10K Then I will work on running faster.

Quote:
UGH! I feel like such an unmotivated slacker! I was supposed to do W1D3 yesterday. Well, my DH got up & went & did his. I got up & dressed. When he was coming back in the house, I was about to go out but noticed it had started to rain. It rained pretty much all day, so I never got out there. I was going to go this morning but I pulled a muscle in my back last night & it was still hurting this morning. I absolutely have to get back out there tomorrow morning!

I did not think of myself as anything at all of a speedy runner when I started and was worried about the speed requirement as well, but I did find that I was able to go faster as I got farther along in the program. Now my average mile is between 11:30 and 12:30 for running and 15:00-16:00 for walking, unless I am in my house (I've been walking laps in my house lately because it is ridiculously hot outside and my house is air-conditioned! Plus I'm a single Mom of 3 and don't have to leave the kids to walk inside ). Inside the house I have to slow down for doors, chairs and frequent turns (not to mention clearing the table, swapping the laundry, putting dishes away, etc), so it is closer to 18 mins. I have *really* found that lots of walking has increased my general endurance and I am able to walk/run much faster and not tire/get sore. Of course, on the minus side it sucks up about 3 hours of my day to walk so much....
Old 07-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #500
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Okay, we didn't finish the full 20 minute run last night (W5D3), but I'm still feeling pretty good about how we did. We just decided to ditch the podcast we've been following (since it's a straight 20-minute run anyway) and just see how much we had in us.

So, we did our 5 minute warmup and started to jog. When I felt like I couldn't breathe anymore (this ALWAYS seems to be what holds us back), we slowed to a walk and checked our time. We had run for 10 minutes and went exactly one mile.
Ummmm, I think we started a little TOO FAST out of the gate. No wonder I was winded.

So, we walked fast for 4 minutes, then ran another six, and I was done. Toast. So, we didn't run any more total minutes than W5D2, but our pace was a LOT faster (we usually are in the 12 minute mile range), we had a shorter walk break, and we managed a full 10 minute run at the start.

So, we're just going to keep working our way toward that 20 minute mark and we'll celebrate when we get there! It may take a week or two, but if there is one thing I've learned from this program, it's that we CAN get there.

For the pace question that came up. No Way did we start out this fast. Our pace has improved significantly. I think during W1, we averaged around 15-16 minute miles. So, don't give up. The pace will pick up and so will your endurance. Good Luck Everyone! Happy Running.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #501
TMcDwyer

indimom - I think that is great! I like this program because it let's you work at your own pace.

I went Coast-to-Coast in 2012!!! Princess 1/2 & Disneyland 1/2!!! Doing it again in 2014 - Tinkerbell & Princess!!! Hoping to go Dopey & Dumbo in 2015!!!
Disney Trips: Too many to count as a kid; Grand Floridian 1998; Off Site 2002; DL in 2003 & 2004; First trip as a Mom in December 2009; Disney Halloween 5K in 2011 (POFQ); 2012 Princess 1/2 (AKLKV); DL 1/2 in 2012 (PP); 2012 Family Trip to POR; 2013 AofA; 10/2013 CB for the TofT 10 Miler; 2014 Tink & Glass Slipper Challenge!!! Also...had the BEST TRIP ever to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in 2010 with my Mom! My Dream Trip ~ Tokyo Disneyland!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #502
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Great job indimom! You will get there! I haven't run in a week and a half because of my knee and I think I'm starting to have withdrawls! I just want to get back out there.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
ColleenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #503
TMcDwyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
Great job indimom! You will get there! I haven't run in a week and a half because of my knee and I think I'm starting to have withdrawls! I just want to get back out there.
I have been thinking about you. When do you go to the doctor?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #504
JaxJags08
DIS Veteran

Are any of you on the Daily Mile site? I just signed up and I need friends
JaxJags08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #505
TMcDwyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxJags08 View Post
Are any of you on the Daily Mile site? I just signed up and I need friends
I am Taryn D. in Colorado.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #506
JaxJags08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am Taryn D. in Colorado.
Yay - thanks! I just sent you a request. I am Peachy A in FL.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #507
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have been thinking about you. When do you go to the doctor?
Thanks, you are so sweet. I go tomorrow. Ironically, my knee was feeling better til this afternoon. We were at the beach and DS7 got klobered by a wave so I went running to help him up, then DS4 went missing. Luckily another mom spotted him wandering around and brought him up to the lifeguard stand. He was at the lifeguard down from us. I guess they have them about every 200 yards down the beach. So once I spotted the other guard walking him down I ran to him. Just so relieved he wasn't in the water. But for the last 2 days I've been able to go up the stairs without any pain. Going down still hurts some, but not as bad. I've been icing, stretching and using these pain patches DH got last winter when he had tendonitis in his achilles. I'm anxios to see what the doc says about getting back to running. I haven't run in a week and a half and it's killing me. I want to get back out there. I've come to realize just how much it helps with my stress level. Even DH said the other day, "You need to go run off some steam!" Tomorrow can't get here quick enough. My appt is for noon, but ortho docs are notorious for running way behind schedule. I will let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
ColleenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #508
TMcDwyer

Quote:
Thanks, you are so sweet. I go tomorrow. Ironically, my knee was feeling better til this afternoon. We were at the beach and DS7 got klobered by a wave so I went running to help him up, then DS4 went missing. Luckily another mom spotted him wandering around and brought him up to the lifeguard stand. He was at the lifeguard down from us. I guess they have them about every 200 yards down the beach. So once I spotted the other guard walking him down I ran to him. Just so relieved he wasn't in the water. But for the last 2 days I've been able to go up the stairs without any pain. Going down still hurts some, but not as bad. I've been icing, stretching and using these pain patches DH got last winter when he had tendonitis in his achilles. I'm anxios to see what the doc says about getting back to running. I haven't run in a week and a half and it's killing me. I want to get back out there. I've come to realize just how much it helps with my stress level. Even DH said the other day, "You need to go run off some steam!" Tomorrow can't get here quick enough. My appt is for noon, but ortho docs are notorious for running way behind schedule. I will let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed.
Fingers crossed!!!

Old 07-28-2011, 04:56 AM   #509
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Quote:
Quote:
indimom - I think that is great! I like this program because it let's you work at your own pace.
Thanks. We're getting there, slowly and steadily. That's what I'm really loving about this program, the gradual buildup and that I can "see" my improvement. We were out again last night and finished 15-minutes of the 20-minute run. Woo Hoo!!! I'm not sure how far we went this time, we ventured into new territory and didn't have a pedometer on us. I think we slowed our pace a bit, but that was part of the plan, so I'm fine with it. I can't wait until Friday, I hope we can finally finish the 20 minute run! We're improving by leaps and bounds now!

Quote:
Ironically, my knee was feeling better til this afternoon. We were at the beach and DS7 got klobered by a wave so I went running to help him up, then DS4 went missing. Luckily another mom spotted him wandering around and brought him up to the lifeguard stand. He was at the lifeguard down from us. I guess they have them about every 200 yards down the beach. So once I spotted the other guard walking him down I ran to him. Just so relieved he wasn't in the water. But for the last 2 days I've been able to go up the stairs without any pain. Going down still hurts some, but not as bad. I've been icing, stretching and using these pain patches DH got last winter when he had tendonitis in his achilles. I'm anxios to see what the doc says about getting back to running. I haven't run in a week and a half and it's killing me. I want to get back out there. I've come to realize just how much it helps with my stress level. Even DH said the other day, "You need to go run off some steam!" Tomorrow can't get here quick enough. I will let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed.
Yikes! I'd have been running too. Hopefully you didn't hurt anything and you'll be able to get back on the program soon.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #510
JaxJags08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm crossing my fingers too that all goes well at your appointment today!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: