Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
haleyknits
Mouseketeer

Couch to 5k

I searched and didn't see a dedicated thread, so I figured I'd start one.

Which week are you on and how are you doing? Do you have any tips for other c25kers?

I'm Haley and I am on week 4 day 2. So far it is going great despite a month long break due to injury.

haleyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

I just finished week 3--one to week 4! Thanks for starting this thread. For now I'm just working toward a local 5K but if I can become a "runner" and make this a long-term habit, I'm going to reward myself with a Disney race.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
njcarita
BL II - Red Team
If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?
the name DANNY TERRIO pooped into my head
I swear I am full of useless information...

just starting this week

before 1988 didn't keep track- must have been over 20 times to disney- went every year with family

Here we go again!!!!
starting weight
Jan 1 2013 194.8lbs Height 5'9" BMI 28.8

Jan 1 2014 187.4 BMI 27.7Goal 150[/COLOR][/FONT]
njcarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
wickey's friend
I can get older but who says I have to grow up . . .
Tittered at the Twitter comments
Co-workers think I'm nuts anyway

Me!!! I'm on W3 and need to do D3 today. I was supposed to do it yesterday, but my weekend was just too full of stuff.

So, I'll have to either do two days in a row (I know, not supposed to do that) or switch to MWF instead of TTh and either Sat or Sun for my runs.

I really like the program -- I actually look forward to walk/running.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
haleyknits
Mouseketeer

Yay!

Friday I did w4d2 with no problem at all. Today was w4d3, which is the same, and I was barely able to finish! It was the strangest thing. I wonder if it was my shoes. I ran today with my orthotics for the first time.

mamacate I went ahead and paid for two local 5ks so I would run them. I am planning on doing the Princess 1/2 marathon in Feb with a huge group of people. I really hope I am able to do it.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
haleyknits
Mouseketeer

How are you guys doing?

I took a jog around the neighborhood today so I could see the storm damage. It was really windy, so it was tough. I had fun though. Today was supposed to be one of my rest days so I didn't time the running and walking parts.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

I am toying with the idea of starting this week and doing some 5Ks that are in my parents' neck of the woods (I won't run into anyone I know that way and can maybe convince my niece and nephew to do it with me.)
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Thanks for asking Haley! I did w4d1 yesterday. Wasn't easy, but I did it and I'm looking forward to my next run. I started doing some resistance exercises on off days too, and I guess I did them right because I sure can feel it in my shoulders, arms, and pecs!

Haley, I'm a knitter too! Did you see my friend Lee Ann's article in the latest Twist Collective about knitting and running? http://www.twistcollective.com/colle...finishing-line

I'm on a c25k thread on active.com, and found a bunch of knitters over there too. Funny! I guess we're all getting off the couch!

I have a secret ambition to run the 2012 Princess, but am trying not to get ahead of myself. We'll see....

Cate
Old 04-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Coyote, go for it! My employer has a 5K that happened last time I was training, but I'm sure as hell not going running with a few hundred of my closest colleagues (some of whom are competitive triathletes). Not gonna happen. I'm only going one town over, but I'm going to be happy and proud of how SLLLLLOW I am. If you haven't read John Bingham's book "Running for Mortals," check it out. It helped me deal with my non-athlete exercise shame stuff.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

I'm on week 5 day 1 but stopped because I was sick so I'm restarting week 4 this week.
Week 4 was really hard the first time, hopefully it will be better this time around!

I'm signed up for the Everest Challenge at WDW in May and my goal is the Princess half 2012.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
NewRunner
Earning My Ears

Week 3 Day 3

Hello there! I am going to Week 3 Day 3 tomorrow. I am really enjoying this program, but agree with you....I am super slow! I just picked up Marathoning for Mortals, so good to hear you enjoyed it. I am hoping to do a couple 5 ks, maybe a 10k this summer. My long-term goal is the Disneyworld half in January (but to be honest, I am secretly hoping I would be able to do the full then). I just don't think I will realistically have the time to train for the full, but I would love to do it.
Good luck everyone! Thanks for starting this thread...I'm happy to hear there are others at about the same spot as me!
NewRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
wickey's friend
I can get older but who says I have to grow up . . .
Tittered at the Twitter comments
Co-workers think I'm nuts anyway

Hi! I finished W3D3 on Monday. I'll do W4D1 tonight, then maybe Friday/Sunday to get back on my schedule.

I had a really good walk/run on Monday -- looking forward to tonight's session. (And you have to know -- I never thought I'd ever be saying anything like that, lol!)
Old 04-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
haleyknits
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate View Post
Thanks for asking Haley! I did w4d1 yesterday. Wasn't easy, but I did it and I'm looking forward to my next run. I started doing some resistance exercises on off days too, and I guess I did them right because I sure can feel it in my shoulders, arms, and pecs!

Haley, I'm a knitter too! Did you see my friend Lee Ann's article in the latest Twist Collective about knitting and running? http://www.twistcollective.com/colle...finishing-line

I'm on a c25k thread on active.com, and found a bunch of knitters over there too. Funny! I guess we're all getting off the couch!

I have a secret ambition to run the 2012 Princess, but am trying not to get ahead of myself. We'll see....

Cate

Good work! I bet you can do the Princess. Just set you mind to it

I hadn't seen that. I'm going to check it out now. Are you on ravelry? I'm myknitography over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
I'm on week 5 day 1 but stopped because I was sick so I'm restarting week 4 this week.
Week 4 was really hard the first time, hopefully it will be better this time around!

I'm signed up for the Everest Challenge at WDW in May and my goal is the Princess half 2012.
That's great! If you find week 4 gets too be too easy I'd skip the other day(s) and move on to week 5. I had to repeat one day of week 3, but was able to move on after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRunner View Post
Hello there! I am going to Week 3 Day 3 tomorrow. I am really enjoying this program, but agree with you....I am super slow! I just picked up Marathoning for Mortals, so good to hear you enjoyed it. I am hoping to do a couple 5 ks, maybe a 10k this summer. My long-term goal is the Disneyworld half in January (but to be honest, I am secretly hoping I would be able to do the full then). I just don't think I will realistically have the time to train for the full, but I would love to do it.
Good luck everyone! Thanks for starting this thread...I'm happy to hear there are others at about the same spot as me!
Welcome! It is great to have goals. I signed up (and paid for) two 5ks so I would stay on track. If I paid for a race, I'm going to run it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickey's friend View Post
Hi! I finished W3D3 on Monday. I'll do W4D1 tonight, then maybe Friday/Sunday to get back on my schedule.

I had a really good walk/run on Monday -- looking forward to tonight's session. (And you have to know -- I never thought I'd ever be saying anything like that, lol!)
I never thought I'd like running either. I felt really great about myself when I left the gym today. Good job!

I did week 5 day 1 today. It really wasn't bad. Since I am past the halfway point now I KNOW I can do this.

I ended up running twice in my neighborhood yesterday. I maybe shouldn't have since it wasn't a training day, but it was fun. It was a lot harder to run in the cold and wind than on a treadmill. I'm also not used to hills, but I was fast outside. It was a nice surprise.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
haleyknits
Mouseketeer

I forgot to mention something. I think I figured out why some of my runs that should be hard are easy, and why the "easy" ones are hard. When I am well hydrated running is easier. It hit me today. I drank a lot of water yesterday and today wasn't bad at all. I didn't drink a lot of water on Thursday, so Friday's run was tough.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyknits View Post
I forgot to mention something. I think I figured out why some of my runs that should be hard are easy, and why the "easy" ones are hard. When I am well hydrated running is easier. It hit me today. I drank a lot of water yesterday and today wasn't bad at all. I didn't drink a lot of water on Thursday, so Friday's run was tough.
I'm noticing that about my runs too. I'm terrible about drinking enough water over the course of the day, but I'm going to have to get better at it.

I'm doing the C210K program (probably should have started with C25K first) and training for my first half-marathon (the Disney Half) in January. I never imagined myself running and never imagined actually enjoying running before. Who knew?!

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
NitroStitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: