Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #31
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

If you're looking for QS places that don't offer typical "fast food" (burgers, fries, etc) I think there are plenty of options.

Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe (in Tomorrowland) comes to mind. They do have burgers, but they also have ribs and rotisserie chicken. I had the chicken, along with mashed potatoes and green beans.

Of course there are the QS places in the World Showcase offering foods other than "American". Yakitori House in the Japan Pavilion is very good. They have teriyaki chicken and rice, and even sushi.

I have no idea if you can still use your PIN on another resort... but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask, right? I think some of those SSR villas are rather large... does the one you booked have a kitchen? Will you even use it? Instead of one villa for all of you, can you book 2 rooms in a moderate resort?
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
PixieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #32
sunnysideup3
DIS Veteran

Yay, I made it over and am subbing in now, so you're stuck with me....

Great PTR so far. I'm jealous that you're at the 2 bdrs at Saratoga Springs, they look SO nice!!!

@quirkyinwi (Twitter) @sunnysideup3 (Instagram)

November 2001: WDW- Offsite/ December 2009: WDW- Offsite/ December 2011: WDW-POR
December 2012: WDW-POR/ Jan 2014: Disney Wonder (5 day Western Caribbean)/Jan 2015: WDW-POR /Oct 2015: TBD
sunnysideup3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #33
mphalens
Those hand sewn buttons, I tell ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideup3 View Post
Yay, I made it over and am subbing in now, so you're stuck with me....

Great PTR so far. I'm jealous that you're at the 2 bdrs at Saratoga Springs, they look SO nice!!!
Yay! Glad you made it!

The problem with our ressie is that apparently we can't GET anything BUT that I've called twice to check on other availability with the pin code I got and there's NOTHING for less ... I would switch it out to be able to upgrade to the DDxP but I can't

I was totally going to update more today, but DH's cousin and his wife arrive tomorrow and they are LITERALLY the first of his family to ever visit us with the exception of the ILs (b/c MIL told her side of the family we didn't like them -when that's the complete OPPOSITE of the truth -you can see why we just LOVE her, right? ) and I NEED to clean my house after I get these kids to bed -oh, yeah, did I mention DH has been gone all day AT THE MASTERS in Augusta, GA?
So, update must wait ...
But y'all feel free to give me some ideas about dining ... anyone with a link to food costs??? Or have some ideas on how to make Mimi think it's NOT fast food if she gets it from a counter???

You Want Me to Sew WHAT? A Photo-Journal Trip Report
Christmas Comes Early PTR Nov 27 - Dec 3 2011
mphalens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #34
mphalens

I did a bunch of cleaning and then DH told me to relax Love him

So... instead I made a chart of costs of all the TS ADRs I have planned ... and I also estimated the cost of the additional TS ADRs we might want to add ...

I then figured out we're short 4 TS meals in order to get the ADRs I have planned plus the additional dinners (still with me? It's late, I'm tired, but I want to get this typed out before I forget ) ... so if we paid OOP for the least inexpensive 4 TS meals it'd come to roughly $550. If we upgrade to DDxP it'd cost us $738.

I'm thinking that upgrading is the way to go ... especially since it gives us appetizers for our TS meals, RIGHT??? Am I correct in thinking that? We don't ALWAYS get appetizers, but I didn't figure those in to all my TS meal costs, so those would come OOP on the regular DDP anyway... upping the $550 to who knows what ...

I need opinions! I know, I know, I'm obsessed with this dang dining!!! Just smack me upside the head now and tell me what I should do! I need help!!! My DH would say I need a lot of things

Oh! And while I'm asking opinions ... What do y'all think of the Disney Visa? We have ONE credit card and it's a Chase card with a crazy limit ... I think they messed up when they gave it to us but I'm not complaining!
Would it make sense to apply for a Disney Visa to pay for the trip? Will we see the rewards before we travel? Because that would be like "free" money if we pay the card off like we're supposed to, right??? Or is that not how it works?

Okay... must go to sleep ... work, Britax open house, more cleaning, and then company tomorrow!!!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #35
Monknmom
DIS Veteran

Just joining in, I will have to come back and read in the morning! You have a nice looking family though! And I love that you are going with your parents- I wish someone would come with us!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #36
mphalens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monknmom View Post
Just joining in, I will have to come back and read in the morning! You have a nice looking family though! And I love that you are going with your parents- I wish someone would come with us!
Welcome!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #37
Monknmom
DIS Veteran

Okay all caught up! I have the same problem with DH that you have with MiMi- he gets really bad stomach pains with quick meals and eating out! And my son's diet won't really allow that so we are doing the DxDP- I priced it out for us and it pays for itself! If it would pay to be worth it then maybe you should try it! We are not big desert eaters, but on someone elses TR they said that they would take the dessert back to the room for breakfast (like a danish or something) and have a TS lunch when the parks begin to get crowded and I think that I am going to do that too then a TS for a later dinner again when people begin coming back into the park from hotel breaks and it's getting busy. So I am not sure if that helps you! I was thinking of doing this too because it sounds like it works- maybe a few mornings have an early breakfast to get into the park early with characters or a later breakfast at like 10 am. We will be buying some muffins and granola bars to eat for a quick breakfast before going on the bus. I hope that this helps a little!
Don't worry about feeling crazy over dining planing- I am too! What if you stayed at a moderate like someone else mentioned or even 2 rooms at a value? Not sure if you would be willing to do any of these, but they might help make up the difference with the dining plan! You'll figure it out though! Just take a deep breath in and lay everything out and look it over! Heck- do this with a glass of wine so you don't get frazzled!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #38
MARsMama
Mouseketeer

When you added up the cost of the meals OOP did you factor in drinks as well? That would increase your total too. It's less than $200 more to upgrade, so I think if you are able to financially I would do it. That way in the meals that you would have been paying OOP you can order what ever you want (you may want to try something different on the menu than what you had figured in the cost) and not have to worry that it's a bit more than what you had thought. kwim? If you didn't add the cost of drinks that difference will be smaller anyway. Also, like you said, the appetizer is included (I'm taking your word as I don't know the details of the deluxe DP ) so that would be even more money OOP, so you would possibly come out ahead with the upgrade.

As for the Disney Visa, I don't know anything about that as it's not available to us in Canada

March 2009: Our 1st Disney Vacation - ASMu
September 2011 - POR

My First PTR
MARsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #39
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcakes, Booze, & PHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphalens View Post

I'm thinking that upgrading is the way to go ... especially since it gives us appetizers for our TS meals, RIGHT??? Am I correct in thinking that? We don't ALWAYS get appetizers, but I didn't figure those in to all my TS meal costs, so those would come OOP on the regular DDP anyway... upping the $550 to who knows what ...

I need opinions! I know, I know, I'm obsessed with this dang dining!!! Just smack me upside the head now and tell me what I should do! I need help!!! My DH would say I need a lot of things

I think I am obsessed with dining also. I worked out our ADRS and the extra ones we would pay OP for...and came up with the DXDP was the way to go too...did you remember to factor in the drink costs as well as the snacks. Even with leaving a few dining credits unused we would come out ahead on the Deluxe! I did the Deluxe last summer on an adult trip...yes it was a lot of food and yes I wasted a lot but I had so much fun trying anything on the menu I wanted and eating at some great places! It is also nice not to look at the menu price and just order knowing it is all paid for!
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #40
Monknmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momabaarjo View Post
I think I am obsessed with dining also. I worked out our ADRS and the extra ones we would pay OP for...and came up with the DXDP was the way to go too...did you remember to factor in the drink costs as well as the snacks. Even with leaving a few dining credits unused we would come out ahead on the Deluxe! I did the Deluxe last summer on an adult trip...yes it was a lot of food and yes I wasted a lot but I had so much fun trying anything on the menu I wanted and eating at some great places! It is also nice not to look at the menu price and just order knowing it is all paid for!
Just for reference- I have learned that if you have any dining credits left over at the end of your trip you can exchange them for snack credits to bring home in your bag or eat while you drive home, give them out as gifts when you get home to other kids or adults (they said that the cookies in most gift shops are very good) or something! I am not sure how many snack credits (I think that they said 4 snacks for 1 TS but don't quote me on that)! Just a thought so that you don't waste money!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #41
mphalens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monknmom View Post
Just for reference- I have learned that if you have any dining credits left over at the end of your trip you can exchange them for snack credits to bring home in your bag or eat while you drive home, give them out as gifts when you get home to other kids or adults (they said that the cookies in most gift shops are very good) or something! I am not sure how many snack credits (I think that they said 4 snacks for 1 TS but don't quote me on that)! Just a thought so that you don't waste money!
I've heard that too! If only Goofy's at DTD was still snack credits!!!! My kids LOVE that place!!!!!

Old 04-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #42
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcakes, Booze, & PHM

I keep hearing conflicting reports about using dining credits for snack credits...I understand it is easily done with QS credits but not so much with TS. I guess it is worth a try...we will have the Boardwalk Bakery at our doorstep when we go to leave (can imagine myself filling a suitcase full of rice krispy heads ). From my projections we will have about 5-8 child TS credits leftover...my oldest and my youngest are pretty small eaters and would probably end up splitting an adult meal.
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #43
Monknmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momabaarjo View Post
I keep hearing conflicting reports about using dining credits for snack credits...I understand it is easily done with QS credits but not so much with TS. I guess it is worth a try...we will have the Boardwalk Bakery at our doorstep when we go to leave (can imagine myself filling a suitcase full of rice krispy heads ). From my projections we will have about 5-8 child TS credits leftover...my oldest and my youngest are pretty small eaters and would probably end up splitting an adult meal.
I can't wait to try all of the little treats!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #44
mphalens

So I've tried to stop obsessing about dining for a few days ... My lovely DH was giving me a hard time the other night "You can't tell me what you want for dinner TONIGHT, but you're freaking out about where we'll eat 8 months from now . . . "

Okay, so what else can I think about for now ... it's still early ... what will take up some time? CLOTHES

See, Mr CA thinks that a "big Disney trip" means a trip like his bff takes to the World ... you stay on site, you get this thing called a "dining plan" where you eat every meal at some Disney restaurant (often with characters) and ... you wear coordinating outfits every day (sometimes multiple outfits a day depending on where you're eating, etc. ) His bff's mom is one of my dear dear friends. She's supermom. She has an amazing blog and you can see pictures from their latest trip here ...
So, Mr CA, yeah, he's only told me 100 times he wants US to have cool outfits like our friends did. DH , well, he's not as into that idea as Mr CA would like him to be ... Mimi (who I thought would be ALL ABOUT the matchy coordinating outfits -lord knows she enjoyed dressing me all matchy-matchy with my cousin throughout my childhood ) isn't so into it ...
So, I have a feeling it's going to be me and my two boys ... and if we're lucky the other three will maybe have the same color shirt on as us or something ...

So ... I've been drooling over all the beautiful things the creative disboard custom sewers make ... but there are SO many girly things and not as many boy things ... and I've got to figure out what I can make for us that the three of us can wear ...
Who has an idea for me??? I'm thinking about some cute decoupaged jeans ... but I need other ideas ... weather in November scares me ... who knows if it will be beautiful or freezing cold???

Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #45
MARsMama
Mouseketeer

I did something similar on our first trip, I made the three kids wear tops that were the same color, or mostly. So on day one they all had on a t-shirt that was mostly red. It made it much easier to keep an eye on them, I found.
I am hoping to do that again this time, but would like to pick up some cheap t-shirts that are all the same. I've seen on some PTRs here personalized t-shirts where there's a themed Mickey head with the child's name, or family name and the month and year. They were done with iron-on transfers as far as I can tell, and they look wonderful. I think they got the idea somewhere on the board here, but I have yet to find a board about such.
I'm not too worried about their bottoms though as they will all likely just wear the shorts that they have.
I don't know what it'll be like for weather in November, but it might be neat to all have a hoodie that is the same, maybe the same brand but all in differnt colors?

March 2009: Our 1st Disney Vacation - ASMu
September 2011 - POR

My First PTR
MARsMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: