Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #16
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Christmas at WDW is soooo magical! We took our 2.5 year old this past Dec and it was amazing. Honestly, your whole group may not enjoy the MVMCP, but I truly think it was worth the money- EVEN if my party night got messed up ( You can read in my TR, but we just had different people wanting to go in different directions and it was a mess) I would do it again. You get the chance to see characters that you wouldn't usually get to see- THAT is what I wish I could go back and redo! See more characters that night!

We did mostly character breakfasts with our DDP, and I loved Tusker House and 1900 Park Fare!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
francis6306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #17
mphalens
Those hand sewn buttons, I tell ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieMama View Post

For my upcoming trip, I first looked at the crowd predictions on another site, Easy WDW. Based on that site's info, I determined what parks we'll visit each day. I did look at the calendars on Touring Plans... and they're a little different! So, now I'm not sure which one to go by...

Personally, I don't see how someone can go to WDW and just "wing it"! I get grief from my family about being a planner, but that's the way I roll! I plan what parks we'll visit, where we'll eat (definitely the TS meals, and for QS I look for 2 or 3 that I think everyone would like so we have options), and even what order attractions to go on. It may sound excessive but the thing is, it's also flexible. It's not like my itinerary is written in stone or is down to the exact second. If we're on our way to an attraction and pass another one that has just a 5 minute wait time, by all means we can veer off the "schedule" to do the other one. Or if there's a character my girls want to meet, I have no problem stopping and letting them get in line.

So what I'm trying to say is... no, I don't think you're crazy for planning!
Eek! I'm worried if you say the two sites have them listed "sort of different" Hmm... I think I'll check out that other site you mentioned too and compare ... One thing with TouringPlans that made me a little sad was that the end of our week there we didn't have Friday or Saturday for parks we really wanted to go to ... MK & EP are our two favorite parks... AK we only need a day... HS a day and a half usually... but the crowd levels for Fri/Sat for MK & EP weren't too great ...

It sounds like you plan like I wanted to for our last two trips... honestly, I could have written what you did as my "This is how I WANT to plan" ideal
I think my biggest worry is that both of my boys will GOGOGO and as a result, my DH & I usually will too... but M&P will only keep that pace for so long before Papa's getting irritated and Mimi is ready to crash ... so I need to try to make my plans accordingly. I think that's why I'm leaning towards upgrading the dining (or PPO for more TS) instead of MVMCP (which is also high on my list of "extras" we'd love to do) because it would force us to have those breaks, kwim?
But... I don't know ... NOR do I know where that extra money would come from... If I'd done it when I first booked, it wouldn't be as big a deal... but now that we've had a couple of months to plan on the total amount, it's harder to say, "OH, wait, let's add $900 to that number"

You Want Me to Sew WHAT? A Photo-Journal Trip Report
Christmas Comes Early PTR Nov 27 - Dec 3 2011
mphalens is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #18
MARsMama
Mouseketeer

I'm a really big planner as well. I'm glad to have more time with this trip than I did with our first trip. I can't imagine trying to just 'wing it' either. I think that's why some people end up overwhelmed as it's too big to go without some sort of plan of action....atleast for me it is! I make sure our plans are flexible as you can't be certain of the weather, the crowds, or how everyone in the group is feeling....but I've gotta plan as if it'll be 'perfect' lol

March 2009: Our 1st Disney Vacation - ASMu
September 2011 - POR

My First PTR
MARsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #19
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Let me go take a look at my notes (because every good DISer has notes, right? ) to see what the two sites show as their crowd predictions. I want to say that both sites had the same park listed as the AVOID THIS PARK AT ALL COSTS for each day... but it was the park recommended most that was different on each site. (Does that make sense?)

So let me go grab my notebook and get back to you...
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
PixieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #20
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Touring Plans vs. Easy WDW

OK, here is what info I have for an example:

For Monday 9/5 - EasyWDW has Epcot as the best park to visit. Reasons being: due to the holiday, locals who are off work/school will flock to MK... AK has morning EMH so guests staying on-site will most likely visit that park... HS will be OK in the morning but crowds will increase by 11 a.m. because that park has evening EMH.

On the same date, Touring Plans has MK as the absolute worst park to visit. But they rank the others as 1-HS, 2-AK, 3-Epcot.

I have no idea why one site has Epcot as the best park, but the other site has it pushed down as the 3rd best park to visit.

That is the biggest difference I see for the dates we are going. There are more disparities between the two sites... but nothing as different as the above. For example, Touring Plans has HS and MK ranked 1 and 2 for Wed 9/6... but EasyWDW has MK ranked as the best, followed by HS second.

EasyWDW was the site I looked at first, so that's the one I went with while making our plans.
POR - Oct 2012
Polynesian - Oct 2013
POFQ - May 2014
Old 04-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #21
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphalens View Post
I think my biggest worry is that both of my boys will GOGOGO and as a result, my DH & I usually will too... but M&P will only keep that pace for so long before Papa's getting irritated and Mimi is ready to crash ... so I need to try to make my plans accordingly. I think that's why I'm leaning towards upgrading the dining (or PPO for more TS) instead of MVMCP (which is also high on my list of "extras" we'd love to do) because it would force us to have those breaks, kwim?
But... I don't know ... NOR do I know where that extra money would come from... If I'd done it when I first booked, it wouldn't be as big a deal... but now that we've had a couple of months to plan on the total amount, it's harder to say, "OH, wait, let's add $900 to that number"

I'd have to go back and look at what TS meals you have planned... if you can't upgrade dining plans, what about changing some of the ADRs to more dinners? That way, like you said, it would force you to have a break towards the end of the day...

POR - Oct 2012
Polynesian - Oct 2013
POFQ - May 2014
Old 04-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #22
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Hi Marianne, we will be in WDW at the same time . I was looking over your schedule and see MK for Thursday Dec. 1st and Sat. Dec. 3th. In all likelihood this will probably be when they do the Christmas parade taping. All of Main Street will be jam packed. They do have ways to take you to other parts of the park where it isn't as crowded.

You look really familar to me. I think we might have a mutual friend on facebook. I had read her MAW trip here on the DIS, then started reading her blog, and we "know" each other on FB. It is a Small World isn't it ?

Last edited by mrsksomeday; 04-03-2011 at 10:48 PM.
mrsksomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #23
mphalens

PixieMama - Thank you! That helps!!! I feel like I'm sort of in limbo right now, since park openings, etc for November aren't really out yet .... I'm wondering if the recommendations will change once they are???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
Hi Marianne, we will be in WDW at the same time . I was looking over your schedule and see MK for Thursday Dec. 1st and Sat. Dec. 3th. In all likelihood this will probably be when they do the Christmas parade taping. All of Main Street will be jam packed. They do have ways to take you to other parts of the park where it isn't as crowded.

You look really familar to me. I think we might have a mutual friend on facebook. I had read her MAW trip here on the DIS, then started reading her blog, and we "know" each other on FB. It is a Small World isn't it ?

Mrsksomeday! So cool that we'll be there at the same time!
Hmm... the parade taping... my kids would think it was so cool to be part of that, but not sure how long they'd want to "hang out" ... that will be one big "play it by ear"

And based on your description, I know exactly what friend we have in common! Her oldest and my oldest are best friends and her youngest and mine are like a little old married couple... it really is a Small World
Friend me on FB!

Old 04-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #24
mrsksomeday

Quote:
Mrsksomeday! So cool that we'll be there at the same time!
Hmm... the parade taping... my kids would think it was so cool to be part of that, but not sure how long they'd want to "hang out" ... that will be one big "play it by ear"

And based on your description, I know exactly what friend we have in common! Her oldest and my oldest are best friends and her youngest and mine are like a little old married couple... it really is a Small World
Friend me on FB!
I opened your PTR because of the title, then I saw your pictures and thought, hmm "she looks a little familar", then I saw Mr. Cool Attitude and thought "ok this is silly, I think I have seen him before too", then when I saw Sheriff Shortstuff it hit me "that is V's boyfriend!!!" .

My significant other Bill thought I was crazy because I went to V's Mommy's blog and showed him a picture there and then the picture you posted and said "isn't that the same little boy?" He was like "why" then I had to explain it to him. He has seen many pictures from that blog because I think the kids are just precious and their Mommy is utterly amazing. All the kids look like they have a fabulous time together.

Quote:
Thursday, Dec 1 - Probably a MK morning and an EP afternoon/evening. I'm hoping this is a day that they'll be doing the special Candlelight Processional dinner package. We want to get a ADR for Garden Grill.

Last year booking for the Candlelight Processional started on August 26th. They have the package available every night as far as I know, you just have to call on the first day and hope you get your restaurant of choice, I wouldn't see Garden Grill being too hard to get. I didn't even have trouble getting a LeCellier Candlelight Processional package when I called the first day. We love the processional so much Bill wants to do it twice. I was looking at our schedule and we have Garden Grill as the restaurant we want to try that night, too funny.

We have DHS down for the 2nd as well. Bill would ride Toy Story Mania all day if he could. He has Cerebral Palsy and uses a power wheelchair, they have a fantastic accessible ride vehicle.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #25
mphalens

I need someone to point me in the right direction, PLEASE!

Okay... I'm still trying to figure out if the DDP is best, if we should upgrade to DDxP, or ... if we should pay OOP ... or keep DDP AND pay OOP for whatever "isn't" covered...

Can someone point me in the right direction for figuring this all out??? Is there a good site? and if so, WHERE on that site?

I was just reading someone else's PTR and they were saying they might cancel their DDP and just put that money on a preloaded debit card and pay OOP because they thought they'd come out ahead... so their trip was still basically "pre-paid" ... unless they go over the DDP cost...

ACK! I feel like a crazy person!!! But I really really want to have this figured out BEFORE I make ADRs because I'd rather make ALL my ADRs if I can and not be TRYING to get a few more late in the game... and not have to go back and CANCEL some either ... Obviously, if I CAN'T get something I want, I'll KEEP trying ... does this make any sense to anyone other than me?

Have I told y'all about our "dining habits" ??? I think I mentioned briefly that we like to go out to eat when the six of us are together ... but, let me explain a little more to maybe give you some insight and you can help me ...

Mimi had (I say "had" because she had surgery and that's what the doctor's say "had") diverticulitis and she also HAS fibromyalgia . . . she's also not a "breakfast" person. Heck, if I had to choose one person on this trip to label the "picky eater" it'd be her... She would NOT label herself that way She loathes McDonalds and her stomach doesn't handle lots of fast food.

Papa is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. Loves big breakfasts, enjoys a good meal with his family, LOVES lamb (it's a running family joke, but he does love lamb and only really gets to eat it out), loves a beer or two, not picky, goes with the flow.

Mr CA & Sheriff Shortstuff - I'm lumping them together because it's easier But really, they're pretty easy. They'll go go go until forced to chill, so a nice meal is a good way to do that ... they're pretty adventurous eaters as much as 6 & 3 year olds can be ... big fans of breakfast, grazers during the day, usually like a regular sized dinner, entertainment is pretty key for them (whether it be in the form of an ipod or a show or just lively dinner conversation).

Dave - he probably eats the least of the group. Enjoys a beer or two (esp. when out to eat with Papa, as they sort of egg each other on), would like to try some new places on this trip.

Me - I'm like the kids, I'll go go go until I have to stop or someone makes me. If I don't eat, I get ... seriously, though, I do get migraines if I don't eat enough. I'd be much more likely to have a drink back in the room (like go buy a bottle of something and have a drink after we're done for the day) than at a meal in the park. I love the breakfast buffets, I try to eat healthy, but I love dessert . . . I could probably be fine if I had breakfast & dinner and just snacked in the middle (too bad a 2 TS/1 Snack option doesn't exist! )...

Okay... so who has some words of wisdom for me??? Pretty please?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #26
mphalens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
I opened your PTR because of the title, then I saw your pictures and thought, hmm "she looks a little familar", then I saw Mr. Cool Attitude and thought "ok this is silly, I think I have seen him before too", then when I saw Sheriff Shortstuff it hit me "that is V's boyfriend!!!" .

My significant other Bill thought I was crazy because I went to V's Mommy's blog and showed him a picture there and then the picture you posted and said "isn't that the same little boy?" He was like "why" then I had to explain it to him. He has seen many pictures from that blog because I think the kids are just precious and their Mommy is utterly amazing. All the kids look like they have a fabulous time together.
Oh! And I so had to respond to this!!!! It made me smile all day A's blog, heck, A & her kids have a way of bringing people together in all kinds of ways... I consider myself v. lucky to count her as one of my dear friends.

And I SO would have done the same thing ... and my DH would have thought I was crazy

Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #27
mrsksomeday

We have said we wished their was a 2TS plan a day too.

We have had the basic versus deluxe dining plan talk over and over in our home. For the December trip we are doing deluxe for the first time. It mostly comes down to wanting to try more 2TS places and going to the Candlelight Processional twice. The thing I worry about with doing 2 table service a day is the time it takes to be in the restaurants.

With Mimi being a "picky eater" I would have her look at the menus here: http://allears.net/din/dining.htm to see if any of the counter services appeal to her at all.

You are not a crazy person for wanting things figured out before ADR day. I am the same way, so either we are both sane or belong in the padded room together . Although, if you are anything like me there will be a couple ADR changes after the first round of reservations . I can't seem to leave well enough alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~

On a personal note, I am in awe of your friend A. It is great to know she has a wonderful support system like you and your family. You can really tell the kids all adore each other and Sheriff Shortstuff and V are so stinkin adorable together, how do you stand it?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #28
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Okay... I'm still trying to figure out if the DDP is best, if we should upgrade to DDxP, or ... if we should pay OOP ... or keep DDP AND pay OOP for whatever "isn't" covered...
I went back to look at your possible ADRs... from what I can see, it looks like you just have one meal to pay out-of-pocket for... correct???
POR - Oct 2012
Polynesian - Oct 2013
POFQ - May 2014
Old 04-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #29
mphalens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieMama View Post
I went back to look at your possible ADRs... from what I can see, it looks like you just have one meal to pay out-of-pocket for... correct???

Well, according to the list I gave y'all, yes, that's correct.

BUT...
There's always a "but" isn't there?

If we were to also eat at TS places for dinner most nights, I'd need more ADRs... 4 to be exact... I only have TWO TS ADRs (Ohana and GG)... but with Mimi's lack of love for "fast food" making her eat CS for dinner in most situations is NOT going to be a good way to keep her going all week without some digestive issues popping up

If we were to eat TS for dinner those other 4 nights they'd most likely be at Raglan Road, Chefs de France, Teppan Edo, Whispering Canyon, Rose & Crown, Cinderella's Castle or Crystal Palace (provided we did breakfast there already, this is probably last on the list, but Mimi really likes it and it's in the MK)... Oh! And since our Garden Grill night is hopefully a Holidays Around the World Dining Package meal, it would cost us 2 TS...

So... unless y'all can give me some CS options similar to any of those in food offerings... what's my best course of action?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #30
mphalens

Do y'all think I'd be better off seeing if there's another place to stay that might cost less instead of the SSR??? I had a 40% off room rate pin when I booked it... if I tried to switch resorts would my pin still apply??? Or since the pin has since expired would I be out of luck????

It's hard because there are 6 of us... I felt like the 2 bedroom villa was cheaper... but

I was just thinking maybe it'd give us enough to balance out upgrading to the DDxP ???? Or am I dreaming?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: