Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

I Planned and God Laughed **NEW Pre-TR Link!!! p.13**

Hope no one is offended by my title. You all know the saying, right? You make plans and then God laughs and throws a bunch of things your way that sort of ďalterĒ your plans. Well that is sort of how I felt on this trip. God laughed. A lot. But I laughed a lot too so it all worksÖnow, onto the report!

To quickly recap:
Who: Me (Shannon) and my mom
When Ė March 26-30
Where Ė Beach Club (although my mom thought we were staying at POFQ, our originally booked resort)
Why Ė Spring Break!

Me:

Mom:

To learn more about me and our planning news leading up to this trip, read my pre-trip report:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2640962

Saturday March 26
I had my alarm set for 6:45. Iím pretty sure it went off. And Iím pretty sure I remember turning it off. But all I really remember is rolling over and seeing the clock say 7:14. oops. Good thing, my bedroom clock is set 10 minutes faster than reality so it was only a little after 7. I was still good on time but lost a few extra ďrelaxĒ minutes. I started my normal morning routine Ė take out Winston, feed him, brush teeth, shower, etc. I packed up all those last minute toiletries and loaded my things into the car. I was eating a bowl of cereal in the kitchen when I got the text. The text that would put a very teeny tiny miniscule shadow over my entire trip.

A good friend of mine (okay, I guess its odd to call her a good friend of mine considering the situation Iím about to share, but we were extremely close in college and have remained in touch somewhat since then. I have no doubt that we would pick right up where we left off if we were together in person. She is married and lives in Chicago, fyi.). Anyway, I get a text from her that she and her husband had a baby girl the night before. Their first child. The first thing is I didnít know she was pregnant (but honestly, thatís not the shadow). I was and am truly and sincerely happy for her and her DH. She was literally born to be a mother and could not come from a nicer family. Plus she has been married for 2 years now and to be honest, I am a little surprised they waited this long to start having kids. She is the youngest of 6 and always said she wanted lots of her own children. Anyway, as I have mentioned in my intro and perhaps in passing, I am 30 years old. I will be 31 in May. I am also single and have been for awhile. I love my independence. I love my Winston. I love my little apartment (hopefully house soon). I have a Masterís degree and a great job (and will have another great job come June). I am healthy. I donít have to worry about where my next meal is coming from. Or how Iím going to pay my rent and bills this month (not that Iím rich, but you knowÖ) I am truly blessed and fortunate Ė I have a lot more than many people in the world.

Thatís what my brain says. My heart says Iím a single woman in my early 30ís who wants a baby and has no prospects in sight for a husband (and eventual father to my children). And, while my brain tells me that itís ok, times are different, I have plenty of time to start a family, my heart aches to find that person I will grow old with, will have a family with, will go on vacations with, will celebrate holidays with, will bicker with, will cook dinner for, etc.

So while I was jumping for joy on the outside that my friend became a mommy, on the inside, all I saw was another one of my friends starting a family. Another reminder that Iím the same age as them and have none of what they do.

So, Iím not going to lie, my mood dampened a bit. But I tried to talk myself out of it and did a pretty good job. Shortly thereafter, my mom arrived (Winston was SOOOO happy to see his grandma) and I didnít have time to feel sorry for myself. After a quick visit and bathroom break, the 3 of us piled in my car and headed for our first stop Ė to drop off Winston. He was uber-excited to see his friends at the dog hotel and in less than 5 minutes, we were back in the car and heading for the highway. It was about 9:20/9:30 I think when we dropped off Winston. I didnít take any pictures of the drive because I was the driver and my mom isnít so good with the technology. Plus there wasnít that much to see.

In a little over 2 hours, we were in Orlando! I had decided as we approached our exit that I didnít want to stop at IKEA for the furniture. I was REALLY anxious to get to the resort and I can squeeze in a trip when I head to my momís house Easter weekend. Or maybe Iíll find something somewhere else. So we are driving down the road, heading to WDW, talking and finally we made it under the beautiful WDW arches, welcoming us to the happiest place on earth. Iím driving, my mom is thinking we are heading for POFQ, and I am driving in the opposite direction towards the BC. Iím wondering when she is going to notice that we are going a different way. Weíre chatting. Iím driving. And getting butterflies in my tummy. Finally, I get into the turn lane and am approaching the BC. I look at my mom and yell ďsurprise!Ē.

I think a few tears may have welled up in her eyes, but I canít be sure. She made one small comment about my ďnever paying off my credit cardĒ (while smiling) and I never heard another comment about the cost. She was thrilled!

Up Next: The second surprised is revealed!

Last edited by Wonders10; 07-18-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
ChattaAlley
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to reading your TR.

With a little bit of PixieDust anything is possible . . .

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
nvsnot
Mouseketeer

I'm in...can't wait to read more

June 7-14, 2011 TH Villas
Old 03-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran

Tearing up for your Mom. Hugs for you, I totally understand where you are coming from.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
hollybearsmom
Please send my fairy godmother home, pronto!

Reading along for more surprises
And I think God definately has a sense of humor
Old 03-31-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
lovegrumpy
DIS Veteran

How cool that you surprised your mom. We are doing the same thing to are boys this summer. We are staying at Beach club just for a night. They so wanna swim at the pool.
HHI 2014

ME/DH/DS19/DS17
Or,Wa,FLx2,Ia,Cali,DC,Va
Been married to my Coastie for 18 years

Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Wonders10
DIS Veteran

Replies

Wow! Thanks so much for all the replies so far! I just uploaded all of my pictures so I will hopefully have an update with a little more substance soon!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Just got home from the last doctors appt of the day and saw you were TR already!

FIRST, HUGS for your feelings of both happiness for your friend and desire to have the same. My SIL is also single and I love my SIL. We have many conversations about this so I sort of understand (second hand of course). So once again .

I can't WAIT to read more of your adventures! I always say, write your plans in pencil because God will definitely need you to
erase!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

I'm here too!!!

Sorry about the text issue I kind of feel the same way even though I'm 26 but I see it as I'm 26, still living with my parents (could live alone/paying rent but would be eating Ramen daily to survive), so badly wanting to pass my boards so I can move back to FL, get a real teaching job with good insurance, find a guy, get married, and have a family. I told the girls at work that I don't think it would be such a great intro saying, "Hi, I'm Megan, college grad, 26, and I live at home with my parents but used to live on my own when I liked in FL." Ugh so pretty much I feel the same way but it didn't hit me till my college roomie got married in Sept. If I move out that way hopefully this summer, we can go man hunting!!!

Great start to the trip though! I know my mom for sure would have cried too!!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
Disney_Jill
DIS Veteran

Great start so far. Winston is a handsome boy!! Beach Club is a nice surprise. I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip.
Sorry the text dampened your spirits. Everything happens for a reason and your life sounds good so far, the rest will come in due time (I know, cliche). My best friend didn't get married until she was 36, she just didn't find "the one" until then.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #13
Iheartdis
Mouseketeer

You totally called it! You said in your PTR your mom was gonna be upset about the extra money spent and you were right! I bet it was totally worth it to see her face though!

MeDHDD8DD2
Old 04-01-2011, 02:00 AM   #14
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to hear more.

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
Old 04-01-2011, 02:05 AM   #15
jerichoZ
Earning My Ears

Me too I'll be waiting to read more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: