Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #16
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
Laurie! I so hope you can pull off this trip! How great for you & the kids! I will keep my fingers crossed. No ideas on how to save, I am still working on learning how to do that myself! We already eat most of our meals at home, but that is where we tightened the belt the most ... not much eating out!
That's an area we're nipping in the bud immediately.......the older boys are really bad about not wanting home cooked meals (eventhough they're much better tasting then most fast foods).....so we end up spending way too much on crappy food!!

The boys are also moving out this summer......so we might even see a drop in utilities, as well as food, etc.
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #17
captnmgd23
Mouseketeer

Christmas is so far away and you all have me yearning for the smell of a fresh cut pine tree, and Hot Cocoa, and candles burning all over the house. I am yearning for the frantic list making of what I am getting for people, what I have bought and stashed throughout the year. Ahhh, Christmastime is the most favorite time of year for me. I don’t know why, I just remember my mother making every Christmas so special for us, we always got special gifts, it may not have been the most expensive thing, we were very poor, but it always meant something to me and my sister. My mom still has a way of giving each of us that one special unique thing that is just perfect for that moment in our lives.

We have been to Disneyland once I think about 7 years ago at Christmas, it was so special, I don’t remember much but the snow on Mainstreet, and our family photo taken with Santa, that sits on my desk at work for me to see and smile at each and every day.

My mom taught me that giving was MORE important than giving and even when we had nothing ourselves, we always gave to others, we volunteered for others. And to this day we still go as a family, me, mom, my sister, my 11 year old Nephew and my 6 Year old Niece; we pick a girl and a boy from a tree and go shopping for them. It is our tradition, and that is the most fun day of the year for me.

As I have become an adult, I have starting giving experiences to my niece and nephew, because they get enough “things” so I always get them swim lessons, or the like. Last year was their plane tickets to Disneyland. This year, I hope to give my mother and my sister a complete trip to Disneyland, we will see if that happens, money is tight here too, but I am saving my pennies and nickels, and going to have a garage sale, and some other stuff to make it happen. I want to go with just them and experience Disneyland as an adult without a child, I know children completely make Disney for me, but I think there are some experiences I still hope for just to spend with my mom and sister. We will see how the rest of the year goes and hopefully I can wrap them up that for Christmas.

Laurie, you can make it happen, I just know you can!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2011, 12:35 AM   #18
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnmgd23 View Post
Christmas is so far away and you all have me yearning for the smell of a fresh cut pine tree, and Hot Cocoa, and candles burning all over the house. I am yearning for the frantic list making of what I am getting for people, what I have bought and stashed throughout the year. Ahhh, Christmastime is the most favorite time of year for me. I don’t know why, I just remember my mother making every Christmas so special for us, we always got special gifts, it may not have been the most expensive thing, we were very poor, but it always meant something to me and my sister. My mom still has a way of giving each of us that one special unique thing that is just perfect for that moment in our lives.

We have been to Disneyland once I think about 7 years ago at Christmas, it was so special, I don’t remember much but the snow on Mainstreet, and our family photo taken with Santa, that sits on my desk at work for me to see and smile at each and every day.

My mom taught me that giving was MORE important than giving and even when we had nothing ourselves, we always gave to others, we volunteered for others. And to this day we still go as a family, me, mom, my sister, my 11 year old Nephew and my 6 Year old Niece; we pick a girl and a boy from a tree and go shopping for them. It is our tradition, and that is the most fun day of the year for me.

As I have become an adult, I have starting giving experiences to my niece and nephew, because they get enough “things” so I always get them swim lessons, or the like. Last year was their plane tickets to Disneyland. This year, I hope to give my mother and my sister a complete trip to Disneyland, we will see if that happens, money is tight here too, but I am saving my pennies and nickels, and going to have a garage sale, and some other stuff to make it happen. I want to go with just them and experience Disneyland as an adult without a child, I know children completely make Disney for me, but I think there are some experiences I still hope for just to spend with my mom and sister. We will see how the rest of the year goes and hopefully I can wrap them up that for Christmas.

Laurie, you can make it happen, I just know you can!
The smells & sights of Christmas just make you happy!!!

Your mother's lesson on giving is a great one.....one I'd like to see more families adopt. Just think if every family donated $5......no family would go hungry & no child would be missed by Santa. It's so simple, but so hard to achieve. All we can do is show by example & hope our kids carry on the tradition.

A trip with your mom & sister would be so fun!! Just getting back a few weeks ago from a NO KID trip......I can tell you it's very weird.....but also really neat!! Mike & I acted like kids ourselves & we could go at our pace & do what we wanted. We did so much, I couldn't believe it!!

I'm gonna try my hardest to do this......I'll keep you all updated on the progress!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

Old 04-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #19
DizNee Luver

I've booked the motel......we will be staying at the HoJo in the Queen Suite!!! I'm pretty excited!!!!

I couldn't find a picture on Google Images, so I took a picture of the HoJo website of the room & floorplan:

We LOVED our stay there last summer. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms are spacious, the beds are comfy, Castaway Cove is a fun place to take the kids & the staff is super friendly!!!! I can't wait to go back!!!!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #20
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #21
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

What are your dates again, Laurie? Weren't you originally going to try to go late November and wrap up the trip on the first Candlelight Processional day (December 3)? Did you change the dates?

I've been trying to get a handle on what my plans may or may not be way in advance so I could try to arrange to meet up with you.

I have NO clue if this will actually pan out or not - my friends in Idaho can't always get out here too easily so I can't be sure of anything until it gets much closer to the date - but IF my friends come out here when they say they want to, we would end up at DLR in the week right after Thanksgiving, leading into the first days of December. I told them that week is supposedly the lowest crowds we will see during the season because it's in between Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks. I also gave them the option of the first full week of December (starting December 5th)...but it looks like they want to go at some point during the week of November 28th - December 2nd. I have no clue if it will actually happen.

If it turns out my friends are not coming out and I go solo, I will try to change my dates to the week of December 5th - most likely, I would go to DLR beginning 12/7 (Wednesday). But if they DO come out, then we will be there sometime during the previous late November/early December week. So if you are not going during that time, we will miss each other!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #22
DizNee Luver

We're booked November 28 to Dec 3.......so that's the week you ARE going to be there!!! Please.......... It would be so great to finally meet up!!!

If this all works out the way I have envisioned......we will do all 5 character meals for breakfasts........then an early dinner (2 meals a day).......so Goofy's Kitchen would be on like donkey kong!!!

Old 04-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #23
LoveMyBeautifulGift
Mouseketeer

Jumping on......between this and the Christmas superthread, I am already dreaming up ways to get back to DL for Christmas this year ...for now I will settle for living vicariously through you
LoveMyBeautifulGift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #24
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyBeautifulGift View Post
Jumping on......between this and the Christmas superthread, I am already dreaming up ways to get back to DL for Christmas this year ...for now I will settle for living vicariously through you
Welcome!!!

This is still a very hopeful trip......but I'm determined to make it a reality!!! Could be a bumpy ride.......but also entertaining!!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #25
Teki
Love the Indi hats!
My family takes odd pics like that every time we go

Hey there hope you have a wonderful trip! I went to the parks in christmas 2008 it was magical more so because my brother, sister and mom were all there I hope your trip is equally as magical!
Teki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #26
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

I love Disneyland and even Disney World at Christmas time. Every one is so happy to be celebrating Christmas time at Disney.

When my daughter was expecting her first child she wanted santa to take her to Disneyland before the baby arrived. Timing was perfect for a winter trip. We had a wonderful time her Husband even had a friend that drove in from Arizona for a friend visit. " Mike is very good friends with his school buddies 2 out of 3 he has known since 1st grade." We were staying at PP with the 4 of us in same room. We just had housekeeping move in a roll away so Bob could just stay with us saving some big money on a room. It was like a big slumber party.

We loved the holiday parades. Hot chocolate seems to taste better in Dec and then to be at Disney.

As for saving money--- couponing saves mega each month for daughter. she one time had $250.00 in groceries and only spent I think $30.00 for. It might have been more of less but I know it was a huge saving. She has a note book she uses to store coupons. Makes a list from the ads each week and sticks with that for dinners, even fun items that kids like to eat. This year she is going to do canning with momma's help. They want the kids to get healthy and organic foods.

So you go to the farmers market? some times there is not much of a savings but the fruits and produce taste so much better. Fresh vegetables and fruits very seldom have coupons. Canned and frozen do though.

There is a company that sells organic chicken breasts for $60 dollars for 40 pounds. I know they do sell in the Salem area. Krista bought this last time -- her first -- and wow they were so good and huge I swear one half breast could feed me and husband easy. It worked out to about $1.50 per pound of skinless chicken breasts. We are patiently waiting for next order time in our area. A lot of churches even use this as a fund raiser so your church may even know about this 2 times a year even. ( 2 times a year they come to each area but will take orders from anywhere but you have to drive to pick up your self)

When I am wanting to save. I look at a top or pants and put in cart. By time I get to check out I always talk myself out of buying. I did have in cart so technically I have item for a few hours. I read on line now, I do mag sub -- not buy at grocery check out. I try new receipes so not spending money on bought meals.

Instead of going out to Chineese I order one meal that I take out, it will feed myself and husband for dinner. There is usually enough left over for lunch or dinner next day to.

Hope some of these ideas help. But with 7 kids I am sure you have more then a few ideas I could use.

Patty
Happy 2 B Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #27
kelmac284
I wish I lived near one of the parks so I could go anytime I wanted
He was so enamoured with her...

Laurie congrats that is awesome!!

That is a nice room! Nice and big!! Sounds like you have lots of fun plans!! I hope everything works out for you!!

DL 1st trip 76 last trip 3/14 next trip ??
DW 1st trip 5/02 last trip 11/10 next trip ??
kelmac284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #28
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki View Post
Hey there hope you have a wonderful trip! I went to the parks in christmas 2008 it was magical more so because my brother, sister and mom were all there I hope your trip is equally as magical!
I can't imagine it not being magical.........every trip we find it to be, but add in the Christmas stuff & it has to make it even more so!!! WEEEEEEEEE.......happy dance just thinking about it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy 2 B Me View Post

I love Disneyland and even Disney World at Christmas time. Every one is so happy to be celebrating Christmas time at Disney.

When my daughter was expecting her first child she wanted santa to take her to Disneyland before the baby arrived. Timing was perfect for a winter trip. We had a wonderful time her Husband even had a friend that drove in from Arizona for a friend visit. " Mike is very good friends with his school buddies 2 out of 3 he has known since 1st grade." We were staying at PP with the 4 of us in same room. We just had housekeeping move in a roll away so Bob could just stay with us saving some big money on a room. It was like a big slumber party.

We loved the holiday parades. Hot chocolate seems to taste better in Dec and then to be at Disney.

As for saving money--- couponing saves mega each month for daughter. she one time had $250.00 in groceries and only spent I think $30.00 for. It might have been more of less but I know it was a huge saving. She has a note book she uses to store coupons. Makes a list from the ads each week and sticks with that for dinners, even fun items that kids like to eat. This year she is going to do canning with momma's help. They want the kids to get healthy and organic foods.

So you go to the farmers market? some times there is not much of a savings but the fruits and produce taste so much better. Fresh vegetables and fruits very seldom have coupons. Canned and frozen do though.

There is a company that sells organic chicken breasts for $60 dollars for 40 pounds. I know they do sell in the Salem area. Krista bought this last time -- her first -- and wow they were so good and huge I swear one half breast could feed me and husband easy. It worked out to about $1.50 per pound of skinless chicken breasts. We are patiently waiting for next order time in our area. A lot of churches even use this as a fund raiser so your church may even know about this 2 times a year even. ( 2 times a year they come to each area but will take orders from anywhere but you have to drive to pick up your self)

When I am wanting to save. I look at a top or pants and put in cart. By time I get to check out I always talk myself out of buying. I did have in cart so technically I have item for a few hours. I read on line now, I do mag sub -- not buy at grocery check out. I try new receipes so not spending money on bought meals.

Instead of going out to Chineese I order one meal that I take out, it will feed myself and husband for dinner. There is usually enough left over for lunch or dinner next day to.

Hope some of these ideas help. But with 7 kids I am sure you have more then a few ideas I could use.

Patty
Thanx Patty, those are all great ideas!!! I do try to coupon when possible. My hubby works for Safeway as a meat cutter & my brother owns a Federal inspected meat shop, so we're always looking for the deals on meat.

With summer coming upon us, we'll definately bit hitting more of the fruit stands for fresh, local produce. We can eat pretty cheaply during the summer. We BBQ all the time.

Winter time always seems to run us more & we tend to eat out more......think it has to do with the winter blues.

I just keep trimming what we have......no paper, just turned off our home phone, told kids no more McDonalds......lol, trying not to buy anything unless we need it & occassionally selling something on Craigslist.

Interested to see what happens when the 2 older boys move out. I do think this will save us some money too!!!

I have contracts on my internet & cell phones (4 of them) thru September, but the 2 older boys will be on their own for phones after that & we're going to go to a cheaper internet.

Just wish I could work part-time to bring in extra income......but with the twins, I'd be losing money on trying to pay someone to care for them......so it's a catch-22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac284 View Post
Laurie congrats that is awesome!!

That is a nice room! Nice and big!! Sounds like you have lots of fun plans!! I hope everything works out for you!!
The room does look nice, I tried to google images for pics but couldn't find any.......I'm sure someone has stayed in this room.......lol I did watch the video of the room & it looks very roomy & even has a kitchen bar with stools.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #29
DizNee Luver

I CAN'T CONTROL MY EXCITEMENT..........THE TRIP IS DEFINITELY A GO!!!!! WE JUST WENT IN A DID AN ADDENDUM WITH H&R BLOCK....THERE IS A HEFTY FEDERAL CREDIT FOR PEOPLE THAT ADOPTED SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN!!! GONNA RUN US $99 TO REFILE, BUT WE'LL BE GETTING MORE THAN $24,000 BACK!!!! THINK I'M GOING TO PASS OUT!!!!!!!

Only bad news is, it can take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months to get back!!! Hoping it doesn't take the 6 months......wouldn't give me much time to book flights to keep us all together on the plane!!!

Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #30
captnmgd23
Mouseketeer

I am just SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO Over the moon excited for you. You so deserve it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: