Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #1501
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post

Yeah, no problem with that one
Excellent! Glad to hear it!

Ooooo! Accidental OWNAGE!
Chris Dis Dad #403 DW DS(14) DS(13) DD(11)

As Kid: 1978 Polynesian - 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel - Dec 2008 GF/Poly -
Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF - June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT -
Feb 2012 AKL - Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Jan 2014 TBD
Old 04-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #1502
IamTrike
DIS Veteran

Wow this has been quite a day.

Steve- Our family has been praying for your friends. We can't imagine what their going through.

Kevin -praying that the treatment works well for your mom. My MIL had skin cancer on her nose they were able to treat it without too much difficulty. Hope fully they caught it early.

Aaron and Fed- Hopefully the shutdown is over quickly. I'm not one to give politicians much credit, but I'm sure they've got to realize its career suicide for them if they're being paid and active military isn't. Not sure if I'd go straight to "good thing" in that you're not going to Disney this summer Aaron, but I'm glad you don't have it putting additional financial stress on you.

Sorry about the car unclescrooge. Mine was broken into yesterday, but no damage. You were $0.50 shy of a "Better off dead" joke.

Chris- Sorry to hear you had to deal with such a bad teacher all year. I am glad you knew the right people so that you could put him in his place at this meeting and I hope that maybe it'll have enough of an impact that maybe he'll realize he was wrong. Hopefully there will be a better teacher next year.

DW (Rachel) Me (Ryan) DD 5 DS 9

DIS DADs CLUB MEMBER #566 James 1:27 Look over here, it's a trip report Updated on 7/5/11 The last day
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #1503
prattpak
DIS Dad #479
Big tiki add those of us that have given our names on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2997 View Post
Absolutely not! YOU just tell her who's boss...who wears the pants in your family................

And do exactly what she says!
I told her....that its up to her..

She works for Dept of Homeland Security so her future there is up in the air too.
Member #479 DIS Dads
Me (Mark), DW (Wendy), DS (Christian), DD (Libby), DS (Robin) Sweet NEW logo
She deserves a cruise, right?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #1504
IamTrike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post

Yeah, no problem with that one
Was reading different news posts about the shutdown and congress getting paid while the military doesn't, when I came across this statement "historically governments have found its in their best interest to pay the people that have the guns." If I were a congressman, I certainly wouldn't want to tick off a bunch of marines and green berets.

DIS DADs CLUB MEMBER #566 James 1:27 Look over here, it's a trip report Updated on 7/5/11 The last day
Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #1505
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTrike View Post
Aaron and Fed- Hopefully the shutdown is over quickly. I'm not one to give politicians much credit, but I'm sure they've got to realize its career suicide for them if they're being paid and active military isn't. Not sure if I'd go straight to "good thing" in that you're not going to Disney this summer Aaron, but I'm glad you don't have it putting additional financial stress on you.
Oh, there will be additional financial stress, depending on how long this lasts. A Disney trip would've been a stretch anyway, which is why we didn't book it. If this drags on longer than four weeks? We're pretty much screwed. Part of the problem is that, while I won't be working and won't be making money, I can't really take other work. I'm still limited by my ethical obligations to the Agency. I can't take outside legal clients, because I don't carry malpractice insurance and I don't know when I'll be called back to work (and if I take the client, I have ethical obligations to the client that wouldn't allow me to withdraw when I get called back to work -- at which point I'm prohibited from having outside clients).
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #1506
Mrmrezg
Mouseketeer

wow, what is up with our government? And i am not signalling out our gurrent leaders (though, i'd like too) yes, there has always been controversy in Washington but, once Clinton took office things just started going downhill and it is still picking up speed. I mean, even Jimmy Carter did better than this. these politicians need to get a clue.
ok, i am finished with my rant.
Greg DisDad #577
2007 POP (First Family Trip),
2010 PoR,
2011 AKL
2012 SSR
Old 04-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #1507
Rental01
DIS Dad’s Club Member #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by prattpak View Post
I told her....that its up to her..

She works for Dept of Homeland Security so her future there is up in the air too.
WAAAAAAIT... Grumman building on 287 next to the new (ish) Exempla bldg?
Home School Dis Dad's Alliance

Old 04-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #1508
Mrmrezg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
Oh, there will be additional financial stress, depending on how long this lasts. A Disney trip would've been a stretch anyway, which is why we didn't book it. If this drags on longer than four weeks? We're pretty much screwed. Part of the problem is that, while I won't be working and won't be making money, I can't really take other work. I'm still limited by my ethical obligations to the Agency. I can't take outside legal clients, because I don't carry malpractice insurance and I don't know when I'll be called back to work (and if I take the client, I have ethical obligations to the client that wouldn't allow me to withdraw when I get called back to work -- at which point I'm prohibited from having outside clients).
AJ, I am not even going to attempt to compare our careers (I am a Captain of an inland pushboat) but, a couple of years ago I was laid-off and i chose to start my own business. I was later call back to work. I let my wife run the business with my assistance/advice. We are still in business and growing and I am bringing in my salary. our company is not involved or associated with the towboat industry.

Use your down time to start your business.
Greg DisDad #577
2010 PoR,
2011 AKL
2012 SSR
Old 04-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #1509
Rental01
DIS Dad’s Club Member #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmrezg View Post
AJ, I am not even going to attempt to compare our careers (I am a Captain of an inland pushboat) but, a couple of years ago I was laid-off and i chose to start my own business. I was later call back to work. I let my wife run the business with my assistance/advice. We are still in business and growing and I am bringing in my salary. our company is not involved or associated with the towboat industry.

I know a guy who started a photography business - now he makes way more than he used to.
Home School Dis Dad's Alliance

Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #1510
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmrezg View Post

It's sort of a tricky area for me. I enforce federal labor and employment law. So whatever business I come up with, pretty much can't involve having employees. It's not strictly prohibited, but it would be awkward for me to be suing one of my own competitors for a child labor violation or minimum wage violation or OSHA violation, on behalf of the Federal Government.

When we need work done at the house and we have to hire someone to do it, I prefer to have it done while I'm out of town. It's really difficult for me NOT to be evaluating their OSHA compliance while they work.
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #1511
Mrmrezg
Mouseketeer

I hear what you're saying. I have a similar problem dealing with our drivers. I am the type of guy that doesn't want to hear excuses, and when our drivers start trying to give me excuses for why they didn't do their job. I just lose it. I try to let my wife handle the drivers while i deal with the customers.
Greg DisDad #577
2010 PoR,
2011 AKL
2012 SSR
Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #1512
ClearScreen
DIS Dad #461
An E-Ticket Attraction in my own mind

Quote:
Wow that really stinks. In NY, sometimes attorneys take per diem work covering court conferences, depositions, etc. on behalf of other attorneys. Under those circumstances, you are acting as their agent and they still are ultimately responsible for the case/client. I don't know if this is an option by you, just a thought.

Good luck,

ClearScreen
ClearScreen (Chris) - DIS Dad Club Member #461 - Me(44), DW(45), DD(12), DS(9)

1976 - 2 trips stayed off-site. September, 2000 - Wilderness Lodge. August, 2010 - Contemporary. August, 2012 - Swan. August, 2014 - Coronado Springs

Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #1513
prattpak
DIS Dad #479
Big tiki add those of us that have given our names on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rental01 View Post
WAAAAAAIT... Grumman building on 287 next to the new (ish) Exempla bldg?
Negatory Negatory...Fed Center off of 6th and Kipling in Arvada.
Member #479 DIS Dads
Me (Mark), DW (Wendy), DS (Christian), DD (Libby), DS (Robin) Sweet NEW logo
She deserves a cruise, right?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #1514
IamTrike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's sort of a tricky area for me. I enforce federal labor and employment law. So whatever business I come up with, pretty much can't involve having employees. It's not strictly prohibited, but it would be awkward for me to be suing one of my own competitors for a child labor violation or minimum wage violation or OSHA violation, on behalf of the Federal Government.

When we need work done at the house and we have to hire someone to do it, I prefer to have it done while I'm out of town. It's really difficult for me NOT to be evaluating their OSHA compliance while they work.
That is a bit of a conundrum. Is there any opportunity for consulting in your space? Tried to think of something, but corporate revenge consultant was the only thing I could think of. Instead I'll just keep praying for your family.

I bet none of the neighborhood kids want to mow your lawn. I imagine you following them around with a clipboard, and then convincing them to pay you at the end of it because of violations....

Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #1515
BigTex71
DIS Dad #536
Bring it!
It's a conspiracy, I tell you! <300 ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTME View Post
It really has been a lousy day. My mom just called and told me that she has skin cancer. Nothing to serious, but anytime I hear cancer it scares the heck out of me. We lost my BIL a few years ago to cancer and just the word itself is enough to send shudders up my spine. It is on her nose and hopefully will not show up anywhere else. They are putting her on a topical treatment to start and see how she responds. My grandmother had the same thing and she ended up with a lot of problems over the years Like I said nothing that serious but I know that she is very upset and scared. If anyone has an extra prayer please send one her way.
More prayers on the way.
DIS Dad Club Member #536
2012 DisDads Fantasy Baseball Champion - Jungle (Nelson) Cruz

Wanna Read My PTR? Your Stunned Silence Is VERY Reassuring (Jan/Feb 2011)
A Private Dance With Cinderella...Our Surprise Trip Jan/Feb 2011

me dw ds(13) dd(7)

Closed Thread

Tags
cheeseballs, club, dads, man

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: