Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
muffyn
"hmmm*

teenager taking forever in shower,,ideas on how to limit time?

I just know some of you would love to have this problem having a teenager take a shower *a lot*.
we have a teen boy in the house ( my son-inlaws son ) who just loves to take a gazillion showers. & stay in forever. ( yea, I know,, yippeee a teen who takes a shower, we should be grateful)
but water is expensive in country, hauled in, costs $65. for what city pays $4, so we really try to watch over use.
house is kinda a duplex, but utilities are joint, kids pay share, but this water thing kinda hard to guage , & that is not the point, no matter how many times we tell him to stop staying in so long, he will just keep going unless someone is pounding on door every few minutes.
daughter finally told me today maybe we should pull the plug on the pump. ( not good for pump though).
putting in a new bathroom & looking for ideas if there IS of timing water? is there such a gizmo that will shut off water on a timer or something?????????????
have any of you solved this kind of problem?

have thought of egg/kitchen timers, but know he will just ignore it or re set it. some other kind of alarm?
biggest problem is many times no one is home when he is in there & has been told to not take on if no one is around, but that doesn't always work, when someone is still in bed or he gets home from sports or something.

any ideas?
muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
stashbin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffyn View Post
I just know some of you would love to have this problem having a teenager take a shower *a lot*.
we have a teen boy in the house ( my son-inlaws son ) who just loves to take a gazillion showers. & stay in forever. ( yea, I know,, yippeee a teen who takes a shower, we should be grateful)
but water is expensive in country, hauled in, costs $65. for what city pays $4, so we really try to watch over use.
house is kinda a duplex, but utilities are joint, kids pay share, but this water thing kinda hard to guage , & that is not the point, no matter how many times we tell him to stop staying in so long, he will just keep going unless someone is pounding on door every few minutes.
daughter finally told me today maybe we should pull the plug on the pump. ( not good for pump though).
putting in a new bathroom & looking for ideas if there IS of timing water? is there such a gizmo that will shut off water on a timer or something?????????????

have thought of egg/kitchen timers, but know he will just ignore it or re set it. some other kind of alarm?
biggest problem is many times no one is home when he is in there & has been told to not take on if no one is around, but that doesn't always work, when someone is still in bed or he gets home from sports or something.

any ideas?
There is a reason he is taking so many long showers....Just sayin.....
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
chuckml
DIS Veteran

It's going to be difficult to limit a teen boys shower time, if you know what I mean. I was a teen boy once myself, and I'll leave it at that.
March 2009--POFQ, December 2009--AKL
September 2010--Pop, September 2011--Pop
Upcoming: August 2014--CR TPV
chuckml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
Disney1fan2002
Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to find like another Val fer sure! ;)
Please don't anyone report this thread, it has the potential to get real good
He just comes across as a pompous donkey

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Turn off the hot water. That will get him out in a hurry.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Uncle Remus
Raconteur
can't name 'em Jeb, George, and Barbara, these are GOOD dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffyn View Post

any ideas?
Have him get a job so he can pay the water bill.

Uncle Remus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
ChristmasElf
Will be packing TP in her purse if Sheryl Crow gets her way!

Hand him the water bill and inform him he needs to pay it since he takes the longest showers of anyone else in the house.

Stick to it. I predict the showers will get a lot shorter immediately.
ChristmasElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Yup, my mom used to turn off the hot water when my brother was taking realllly long showers.

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
tmarquez
DIS Veteran

My stepfather put a timer on the hot water heater.

He is a jerk!
tmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
IdesOmarch
DIS Veteran

Start flushing the toilet.
IdesOmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
dngnb8
Disneyphile

Fight fire with fire. I take a hot bath right before she showers. less hot water.

Nothing else worked, this worked. Without hot water, they get out
dngnb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
cassandrap83
Only 3hrs from the Magic :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashbin View Post
My thoughts EXACTLY!!!!!
cassandrap83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
DMass
DIS Veteran

Here's something;

http://www.showermanager.com/index.shtml

My parents could've used this when I was a teenage boy.
DMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
penn19
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashbin View Post
Yep. I was informed of that by my DH. Had no clue (and I had brothers growing up!)why all of a sudden my ds started taking rather lengthy showers.....So now when any of them are in there too long I try to shut it out of my head.....
penn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #14
jamiesmom07
Mouseketeer

DS is 12 going on 13. He showers FOREVER....so, I just turn on the hot water in the kitchen, which is downstairs and he doesn't have hot water. He squeals a bit but gets out of the shower
Nov.25-Dec.3 2011 - POFQ
April 2010 - POR
April 2003 - All Star Movies
jamiesmom07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Does he drive? or watch TV anything that costs money? I'd say to him I have 100 per month to pay for things if you use 3x as much water as needed and I have to Pay 100 instead of 50 then I don't have 50 for gas or cable or something else he likes. Now the choice is yours do you want cable etc and reasonable showers or extremely long showers and no cable or what ever it is.
Let him decide and then stick to it. If he doesn't cut down on the water cut down on gas or snacks or cable or text plan. As a teen he is old enough to decide what is important.

And if he cuts down on the showers make sure you knock well before going into his room, lol

Teenage girls take very long showers also! but at least they have the excuse of shaving their legs and usually longer hair.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: