Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #31
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Well, here's some for ya! Good Luck!

Life happens to get in the way of our enjoyment of Disney. Doesn't it know any better
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Old 05-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #32
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Hey there, just found your TR. Enjoying it so far and looking forward to more!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #33
katoot
DDC
And OWNAGE
I'm up for revealing on both

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Hey there, just found your TR. Enjoying it so far and looking forward to more!
Welcome and thank you! As I mentioned on the DISdad rant thread...I'm having some difficulties with the forum regarding customizing (color, links, photos, and smilies are inaccessible right now)...once I get some time to look at some source codes, I'll update again. In the meantime, I had a job interview yesterday and another one tomorrow, as well as another possible one on either Thursday or Friday, so I'll be a little busy this week, but I'll do my best to get the next day up.

DIS Dad Member #598
(me) (DW) (DS) (DS)
Runs:
04/07/12 Gyeongju Cherry Blossom 10k (first ever run): 59:11
06/10/12 Pohang Marathon 10k: 1:01:37

Past visits:
WDW: March 1987 & 1988
Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea: March 2006
WDW/Unversal: January 2011

A Magical Journey...Bookended by Some Airport Troubles
Old 05-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #34
katoot
DDC
And OWNAGE

Ok. So, obviously, I haven't updated the actual trip yet, but I thought I would take a moment to give another quick personal update. On the plus side, I don't have the problem customizing posts anymore. However, considering I don't have a job yet, I've been fairly busy and kind of unmotivated.

On the job front, I was able to get a contract for an after school academy (wasn't the job I was hoping for, but after being unemployed for about a month and a half, I'll take anything)...actually, it'll be the same place as my first year here in Korea. I start on the first of June, but we don't move to our new apartment until the 22nd. This means I'll have to commute about an hour or so each way by bus and train everyday. But only for three weeks. Once we move, I believe it will only be about a 20 minute bus ride. What I'm most worried about is the day we move, the 22nd, which is a Wednesday. Which means I work from 2pm-10pm. And DW would work that day, too, I believe...which would be about 6pm-4am Thursday morning. I'll not only have to take the bus home for the first time, but it's also at night. I just hope I don't get lost.

I've also taken it upon myself (with some very strong nudges from DW) to try to finish my TESOL Course (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) before I start my new job. This was decided last Monday. Which would have given me just over a week to do a 100-hour course. It's now late Saturday night, and I'm about halfway done (quite exhausted mentally, however). The good thing about this course is it's online and I can go at my own pace. The bad thing is it's online and I'm easily distracted...
So I'm going to do my best to gung-ho through it over the next three or so days.

In other words, the next time I may have a chance to put a new update on here would be maybe next weekend at the earliest.

DIS Dad Member #598
(me) (DW) (DS) (DS)
Runs:

Past visits:

Old 06-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #35
katoot
DDC
And OWNAGE

Day 8: Where Was I? Oh Yeah!

Day 8- January 26th

I don’t wake up until around 9ish. Soon Ae’s still sound asleep, so I leave her be and decide to do the prerequisite pictures of our resort. I spend a good half hour to hour wandering and taking pictures of all of the giant pop culture statues, some of the shadowboxes in the lobby, and a few shots of the gift shop and cafeteria. By the time I get back to the room, Soon Ae is starting to wake up.

We decide that since we didn’t get many pictures at Epcot, and it was dark by the time we got to Japan, let’s start our day there. We get there around 11:30, which is perfect for us, since we mostly want to get pictures from the World Showcase. Our journey begins at Canada this time, and relatively uneventful, considering we’re only taking pictures and not going on any rides. That is, until we get to the American Pavilion for lunch. We decide to sit outside to eat and DW thought it would be a good idea to give a fry to one of the birds hanging out near us. Soon, we were swamped by it and its friends. Oops.

After we made it back to Italy, we feel we took enough pictures and decide to head towards the exit in Future World. I believe we went on Spaceship Earth at this time. Soon Ae thought it was alright…just a bit boring.

Just before 2pm, we go on the monorail, but not before I get a pretty awesome shot of Spaceship Earth.

We get off the monorail at the Magic Kingdom, just to make sure we use the Park Hopper at least once on the trip. We have a little bit of time before the parade starts, so we scope out a decent area to watch it just of the hub in Frontierland. Just like the parade at Hollywood Studios, she takes video of the parade with her iPhone and I take pictures with my camera. She thought the parade was wonderful….except for these annoying two late high school/early college age girls standing next to us who thought it would be fun to say to every character that walked by, “Oh, I love you (insert character’s name)! Your movie is my favorite!” Even better, we were able to capture their wonderful commentary on video, so we can cherish it forever! <-not a thumb

After the parade, I take a look at the timetable for the next performance of the show in front of the castle, as well as to find the closest restroom after our smoke break across from Casey’s Corner. I see that the next show is fairly soon, and the closest restroom is at the front of the park, so we just wander around Main Street until the show starts. Although I don’t think she understood much of it, DW seemed to enjoy the show. Again, she took video while I took pics.

Soon after the show, we head towards Tomorrowland. What luck! The Buzz Lightyear ride only had a 5 or 10 minute wait! Soon Ae loved Toy Story Mania, so she agrees to try it out. We both decided that, while fun, it’s not as good as TSM, especially since you can’t see where you’re shooting. After Buzz, I try my luck and ask DW if she wants to try Space Mountain. To my surprise, she said yes…although I can guarantee that she regretted it as soon as it started. It might have been a little better if we would have been able to sit next to each other, but since it’s just a single seater, that was not the case. I sat in the front seat and she was right behind me. I reached back to hold her hand as the ride started. Big mistake! She held on as hard as she could and never let go, especially on the sharp turns and dips in the track. By the end of the ride, I’m pretty sure I lost feeling in that arm. Needless to say, it wasn’t her favorite ride.

We take another smoke break to help her calm her nerves. I look at the schedule again and see that the Move It! Shake It! Parade will be starting soon, so we head back towards the castle. She doesn’t take a video, as she’s still recovering from Space Mountain, but I get a few pictures in. The parade seemed to liven her up a bit, cause as we were heading to the back of the castle, she started dancing…apparently to other guests’ chagrin.

It’s now about 6pm. We want to see Wishes up close, so we head to Toontown, the only land we haven’t been yet. We take our time wandering around and I suggest we go meet Mickey and Minnie.

Afterwards, we take the train back to the front of the park to wander Main Street again and do a little shopping.

It’s now about 7:30, just 30 minutes before Wishes is supposed to start. We find some places to sit at Casey’s Corner. We’re both pretty hungry, but nothing on Casey’s menu seems to interest Soon Ae. She wants a burger. I tell her to wait there while I go get our dinner. The first restaurant I try is already closed for Wishes…the second one, doesn’t have burgers! Grr! I finally get to Cosmic Ray’s, but wait in line for about 10 minutes. By the time I get our food, I hear the Magic Memories and You show starting, so I book it back to Casey’s.

Soon Ae’s not where I left her! The first thing that comes to my mind is I’m going to miss Wishes just like I missed Illuminations, searching for something I lost. After about five minutes later (and before Wishes actually starts), I luckily find her. We are able to enjoy the show together. Yet again, she takes the video while I take the pics. Except the first couple pics I try to take don’t turn out so well. So I decide to also take a video, to try out the feature on my new camera. Unfortunately, my camera’s battery died with about a minute or two left in the show. But that’s alright, since she got it on her’s. We both thoroughly enjoyed the show.

We have only last smoke break at the park, so that we can let the majority of the crowd leave before us. Meanwhile, DW is getting cold, so I give her my jacket. On our way back to the front of the park, I got so many comments from random guests saying how I was a better man then them since I was only in a T-shirt on the way to the exit (it was maybe in the lower 50’s/upper 40’s at this time). I just laughed and said I’m from Wisconsin.

We head back to Pop and call it a night.

Coming up next:

Out of all the parks in all the World, they had to come to this one…

DIS Dad Member #598
(me) (DW) (DS) (DS)
Runs:

Past visits:

Old 06-08-2011, 03:15 AM   #36
katoot
DDC
And OWNAGE

Day 9: Fancy Meeting You Here!

Day 9- January 27th

We get up a little earlier today with plans to go to Animal Kingdom for most of the day, then, if we felt like dealing with the crowds, Hollywood Studios for Fantasmic! We get on the bus for AK around the time for rope drop, and got to the park soon after.

We take our time walking towards the Tree of Life, but don't see to many animals on the way there. Once we arrived at the ToL, we see a Photo Pass guy with a couple currently taking pictures, but other than that, no line. It is soon our turn. We have a lot of fun with the photographer, who tells us to make many different poses, such as making and angry face, or posing as if we are holding "something" in our arms.

After we finish there, I decide to go counter-clockwise, hitting up Dinoland first. I ask the obligatory question to DW about riding Dinosaur. She says no, but will accompany me in the line and take the "chicken exit." It's a good thing she did. While I enjoyed it a good deal, I believe she would have had the same reaction as the lady in front of me on the ride. As soon as we stop and start deboarding, she says "never again!"

We mosey around the state fair portion of Dinoland and are mostly unimpressed. Definitely not Disney-esque. No CMs or guests anywhere to be seen. Every little kiosk and what not are all closed. The only thing we liked was the giant Brontosaurus statue near the exit of that land.

As we are walking towards Asia, I'm a little more persistent about getting DW to ride Expedition Everest. To no avail. But she still joins me in the line, again taking the "chicken exit." I LOVED the ride! In my mind, I'm planning on going again later in the day.

Our plan is to head towards Africa and ride the Kilimanjaro Safari next. However, some CMs get our attention and tell us that Flights of Wonder is about to start. We go in and enjoy the show.

We finally arrive in Africa, but DW wants to go in Mombasa Market first. She finds a really cute straw leopard-print cowboy hat and a neat wooden spoon and fork set. We purchase them and she immediately puts on the hat while the CM wraps up the spoon and fork, which get put in her backpack.

When we get to KS, there's only about a 10 or 15 minute wait, so we get in line. DW had a blast. We both took a ton of pictures. After that, we got some Fast Passes, just in case we wanted to ride it again, and wander back towards Asia. We hit up the Maharajah Jungle Trek, which was alright. We were starting to get hungry, so we head back towards Africa and eat at Pizzafari. The food there was decent.

We have a smoke break afterwards (AK REALLY needs more than two smoking sections in the park) and I check the time table for the next Festival of the Lion King. 15 minutes till showtime, perfect. It was another show we both really enjoyed.

At this time, we have about an hour before the parade starts, so I suggest using the FPs and going on KS again. She just wants to relax in the sun, but says I can go by myself. While on the ride, I try to get pics that I may have missed before. Afterwards, I meet back up with DW who tells me she made friends with on of the African performers. We're both pretty thirsty now, so I get a couple beers. While we're drinking them, I get the idea to go get some EE Fast Passes.

I head back to Asia, getting close to EE, when I hear "Hey stranger!" It's Turkey Lurkey's wife! I had completely forgotten that they were going to be in the same park that day. She tells me that EE is out of Fast Passes, but TL is nearby. So I go and say hi to him and Little Turkey, who was very shy and crabby at the moment. I invite them to watch the parade with us and they oblige.

I get back to DW first and tell her I met some friends. She's very surprised and happy to see the Turkey Family a day before we were planning to meet. We watch the parade together and then go our separate ways for the day. Oh, DW said the AK parade wasn't nearly as good as the MK or HS ones. In fact, she thought it was rather boring. I kind of agree.

Yet again, we head towards Asia, with DW wanting a smoke break and I wanting to ride EE again. What luck! A 5 minute wait! Even better luck! It's walk on! I end up going on the ride 3 times in a row before I start getting a slight headache. Which is alright, since my final ride picture is the best one.

It's now about 4:20, just in time for the final Finding Nemo- The Musical performance of the day, which we both enjoyed. Afterwards, we head towards the exit. Even though we didn't do much at AK, we were exhausted from all the walking. We decide against goint to Fanstasmic and fighting the crowd, so we call it an early night.

Coming up next

Will Little Turkey be more friendly at the Magic Kingdom?

DIS Dad Member #598
(me) (DW) (DS) (DS)
Runs:

Past visits:

Last edited by katoot; 06-09-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #37
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Looks like a good trip so far! It looks like you're a lucky guy that DW is at least understanding enough to let you go off on your own so you can still enjoy the rides she's not interested in.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #38
katoot
DDC
And OWNAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Looks like a good trip so far! It looks like you're a lucky guy that DW is at least understanding enough to let you go off on your own so you can still enjoy the rides she's not interested in.
Indeed, I am very lucky!

Speaking of DW, I just remembered (thanks to browsing a random PTR) we spotted DeVine. Scared the peanut butter out of her.

DIS Dad Member #598
(me) (DW) (DS) (DS)
Runs:

Past visits:

Old 06-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #39
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

I think us WI people can take temps up to freezing without complain! We didn't really care for Dino Land either. We mainly just met some characters there and that was it.
We missed Flights of Wonder, but maybe next time.

EE is awesome, but 3 times in a row.......
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931

Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #40
katoot
DDC
And OWNAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
I think us WI people can take temps up to freezing without complain! We didn't really care for Dino Land either. We mainly just met some characters there and that was it.
We missed Flights of Wonder, but maybe next time.

EE is awesome, but 3 times in a row.......
I'm inclined to agree. I love the cold!

We didn't see a single soul in Dino Land other than our selves.

Yeah, it was the first time I've done a roller coaster more than twice...and possibly the last time

Btw, I edited my last TR entry with the ride photo from EE. I'm the one who is "scared out of his mind."

DIS Dad Member #598
(me) (DW) (DS) (DS)
Runs:

Past visits:

Old 06-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #41
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

LOVE the EE picture! Now thats one of the best ride photos I've ever seen.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:41 AM   #42
katoot
DDC
And OWNAGE

I just realized it's been almost two months since I updated this. It's been a pretty busy "summer" so far for me. Started a new job in the beginning of June, moved to a new apartment in the middle of June, and since then have been trying to make said apartment more comfortable and like a home. Unfortunately, with the rainy season that we are (hopefully) just finishing up, it's caused quite a few problems (such as a mold buildup in a couple rooms and a leaky bedroom ceiling). Still, I feel fortunate that our city didn't get the flooding that some parts of Seoul got.

I'll try to get the Great Katoorkey Family Meet update up this weekend or so.

DIS Dad Member #598
(me) (DW) (DS) (DS)
Runs:

Past visits:

Old 08-29-2011, 02:07 AM   #43
katoot
DDC
And OWNAGE

Yes, I know, I didn't post the Great Katoorkey Family Meet that weekend as I had planned. This whole month went by pretty fast and has kept me pretty busy.

I thought I was all settled in to my new job and apartment (leaky ceiling stopped, and mold is under control)...and then last week, my recruiter informed me of a job opportunity that I can't pass up. It's for one of the top companies in Korea and I would be a fool to let it go by.

Well, my recruiter has been talking me up a storm to this company...so much so that when he last talked to them, they only wanted to talk about me!

Turns out I have an interview tomorrow before I go to work...over the phone...the company itself is on the other side of the country and I don't think I can squeeze in an 8 hour round-trip train ride before I have to be to work at 3pm.

So I'm asking for all the luck I can get in the hopes that I can secure this job ...once that's all cleared up in the next few days (they may have me do a face to face interview if the deem it necessary), hopefully I'll be able to return to the semi-regularly scheduled TR.

DIS Dad Member #598
(me) (DW) (DS) (DS)
Runs:

Past visits:

Old 11-15-2011, 02:39 AM   #44
katoot
DDC
And OWNAGE

Wow....it's been over two months...oops.

Still no trip update, but there's good reason for that.

So, I was supposed to have a phone interview the day after my last post....well, that didn't happen. I found out the next day that they wanted to have a face to face interview! Much to my school's chagrin, I took that Thursday (september 1st) off (mostly they were upset because of short notice and it was the first day of the new semester) and took a train to Pohang, South Korea.

Long story short (too late):

I now work as a Consultant for POMIConsulting (POSCO Management and Innovation Consulting), a division of POSCO (Pohang Steel Company), the third biggest steel manufacturer in the world, and one of the top companies in South Korea.

I've been working here for just over three weeks now, and I'm loving it. I work from 9-6, although with commuting added, it's more like 8-7. I teach English to my coworkers right now, but I'll have more responsibilities come the beginning of next year.

In other news, my new boss hooked my wife up with a possible job, which she interviewed for today. That means she won't be stuck at home all day, not knowing anyone else who lives in Pohang. I'll keep you guys updated on that front.

So, don't hold your breath, but I'll honestly try to get an update in here fairly soon (like, maybe the next week or two).

That is...if people are still following this thread...

DIS Dad Member #598
(me) (DW) (DS) (DS)
Runs:

Past visits:

Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #45
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

"climbing through the cobwebs......."

Still here, can I have a glass of water!

Congrats on the new job, and crossed fingers for your wife!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: