Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
katoot
DDC
And OWNAGE
I'm up for revealing on both

Day 6: So, We're not at Disney Anymore?

Day 6- January 24th

The usual spiel waking up. I figure if there is one park that we NEED to get to rope drop for, it’s Hollywood Studios!

So we get on the bus around 8:15 and arrive just before rope drop (as well as, it turns out, about 75-100 other people, by the looks of the crowd). Rather than watch the pre-drop entertainment, Soon Ae and I decide to do a little window shopping in the nearby gift shop. She finds a cute iPhone case and as we purchase it, the rope drops. Now we aren’t in a huge hurry to get back to Toy Story Mania (there’s always fastpass), so we take our time heading back that way, getting our pics taken with Pooh and friends (who had a small line each), and Stitch (who had no line!).

After getting our pics taken with them, we head back to Pixar Place, grab two fastpasses (for about two hours later), glance at the standby line for TSM (only about 30 minutes, but we decide to look around the park), and go on our merry way.

We wander around, and hit up Muppet Vision first (very cute show, and Soon Ae seemed to enjoy it). When that got out, I take a look at the time table, and it’s almost time for a Jedi Academy show.

We join the crowd and watch the show. The highlight of the show was definitely when Darth Vader had a slight prop malfunction. He was battling one of the kids, who swung his lightsaber a little to hard. The saber end of Vader’s….saber flew off and hit a little kid in the audience in the face. Everyone gasped for a second, but the kid seemed to be ok. Until he touched his nose a couple seconds later and looked at his hand. Suddenly, he screamed, “AH! I’m bleeding!!” and freaked out. He wouldn’t be quiet until his dad brought him away from the show.

Soon Ae drags me out of the Star Wars area, but we still have time before we can use our fastpasses. I try my luck, asking if she would like to try Tower of Terror (remember, she’s deathly afraid of heights). In yet another surprise, she says yes! (Yes, I did tell her what would happen, and she was able to see the current riders screaming from the ride). On our way through the queue (which was only about 15 minutes or so), I keep asking if she’s up to it. She keeps saying yes. Alright. Our turn on the ride. Luckily, we get the back row, so the height factor shouldn’t be too bad. As soon as the ride starts, she clenches my hand and doesn’t let up until the ride is finished. She reluctantly says she enjoyed the ride, but needed a cigarette before we can go anywhere else. (We did pick up one of those ride pictures, if only because of the pure delight in my face , and the pure terror in hers )

Time for Toy Story Mania. Now, the standby line is at 60 minutes. Even in the fastpass line, we had to wait about 15 minutes. However, Soon Ae loved the ride! Definitely her favorite in the World so far.

Now, we’re starting to get a little hungry, but on the way to finding someplace to eat, some Cast Members at the Backlot Tour are saying a show is about to start. We decide, why not, and head that way. Afterwords, we decided it was a little enjoyable, but probably not something we would go on again.

Lunchtime, and our first experience with the dreaded Brazilian Tour Groups. We head towards ABC Commissary. I get in line, she gets a table. Thanks to the tour group, it takes me about 15 minutes to get food. Unfortunately, we both thought our food was not at all tasty, so we actually throw most of it out (that’s how bad we thought the food was).

I look at the time table again, and it’s almost time for Lights! Motors! Action! We get our seats just as the show starts. Both of us really enjoyed it. We’re still in a bit of a stunt show kick, so we rush down to the Indiana Jones stunt show. I really thought it was fun, but I think Soon Ae enjoyed LMA more.

Parade time. Soon Ae’s first experience of a Disney parade. She records the show on her iPhone while I take pics with my camera. The best of both worlds. Did she enjoy it? Let’s just say I caught her dancing to the music a few times.

We’re starting to get a little tired, but we have a reservation at the 1950’s Prime Time Café at 5:35. I want to do the RocknRoller Coaster. I ask Soon Ae if she’s up for it. She says no. However, she’ll wait in line with me. Yay! I get on the ride, and have a great time.

We are really tired now, so we just relax a bit, get some photopass pics, and see if we can get in to eat a little early. We can!

Our server was very good, but didn’t give us any hard times (which, I think, was best, since Soon Ae might not have understood that it’s ok for them to do that). We really enjoyed our food, and had some left over onion rings, so we got a to go box. Unfortunately, we forgot it at the restaurant!

We get a couple more photopass pics on our way out and head back to Pop.

There are a couple cute towel animals waiting for us when we get back to our room. Soon Ae reminds me to call lost and found again for the camera, which I do.

They found it!

Unfortunately, they thought we already finished our stay and sent it to my brother’s house in Wisconsin. That’s ok, though, since we’ll be heading up there after Florida to celebrate a belated Christmas. It’ll be waiting for us when we get there.

I tell Soon Ae the semi-good news, and call it a night.

Coming Up Next

Massive thunderstorms in the forecast. How will that effect our day?

DIS Dad Member #598
(me) (DW) (DS) (DS)
Runs:
04/07/12 Gyeongju Cherry Blossom 10k (first ever run): 59:11
06/10/12 Pohang Marathon 10k: 1:01:37

Past visits:
WDW: March 1987 & 1988
Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea: March 2006
WDW/Unversal: January 2011

A Magical Journey...Bookended by Some Airport Troubles
Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #17
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Ah, yes the thunderstorms! I'm just glad we were back in our room before it all broke loose!

Hopefully you'll post your TOT pic! I love to see people faces there. I'm post mine later on my TR and my DD & I look almost bored

YAY, on the found camera. We had a missing item but it was never found A little purse for my little DD.
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #18
katoot
DDC
And OWNAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
Ah, yes the thunderstorms! I'm just glad we were back in our room before it all broke loose!

Hopefully you'll post your TOT pic! I love to see people faces there. I'm post mine later on my TR and my DD & I look almost bored

YAY, on the found camera. We had a missing item but it was never found A little purse for my little DD.
I will oblige. I, too, always look forward to other peoples faces. If I've been on a ride before, and I know exactly when the picture is taken, I sometimes try to do a funny expression for them.

Now, I have already started making a scrapbook, but I have my digital camera right here next to me...these were the best I could do.

The pic in the lower left was taken later that day, I believe after RRC. Soon Ae wouldn't stop staring at ToT (I imagine she was trying to convince herself that she actually went on that ride ), so I decided to take a pic. I asked if she wanted to go on it again. She quickly answered with a very firm, "No!"

I'd say you can definitely see the extremes of our enjoyment for the ride.

DIS Dad Member #598
(me) (DW) (DS) (DS)
Runs:

Past visits:

Old 04-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #19
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Bahahahaha Now that is funny!
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931

Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #20
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

HA, love the story from the Jedi Training! It is always funny watching the kids. That TOT ride picture is hilarious! What on earth is going on in the front row?!

Uh oh, thunderstorms...hopefully it didn't last all day like they did when we were there.
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 04-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #21
jesemeca
Mouseketeer

I followed you over from my TR. Can't wait to hear more about your trip. We were in Epcot the day it rained. Nothing like being all the way in the back of Epcot in the middle of a downpour. Happened to me the last two trips.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #22
Turkey Lurkey
DDC 551
Geeks can help people too
For some reason, I have been banished from the room

Late to the party, but subscribed none the less.

TL
DIS Dad's Member #551
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
A Very Turkey Trip Report: 1/22/11 - 1/29/11 - Updated, but never complete!
Old 04-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #23
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

All the CS restaurants in DS, stink.

I lost my sunglasses on Space Mountain, and I made a report with L&F. They sent my sunglasses home, and they got there before I came home. Last year I got this big box from WDW after I got home, and it was from House keeping at PO. I forgot my pillow I brought along.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #24
katoot
DDC
And OWNAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
All the CS restaurants in DS, stink.

I lost my sunglasses on Space Mountain, and I made a report with L&F. They sent my sunglasses home, and they got there before I came home. Last year I got this big box from WDW after I got home, and it was from House keeping at PO. I forgot my pillow I brought along.
DW also lost her sunglasses on the trip, but we weren't sure as to where we lost them or how to describe them...fortunately, we found them two weeks ago in her backpack (we don't use the backpacks too often).

DIS Dad Member #598
(me) (DW) (DS) (DS)
Runs:

Past visits:

Old 04-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #25
katoot
DDC
And OWNAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey Lurkey View Post
Late to the party, but subscribed none the less.

TL
It's about time...I was about to send out a search party.

DIS Dad Member #598
(me) (DW) (DS) (DS)
Runs:

Past visits:

Old 05-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #26
Turkey Lurkey
DDC 551
Geeks can help people too
For some reason, I have been banished from the room

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoot View Post
It's about time...I was about to send out a search party.
Well, it's kind to get on to the interwebs with no computer.

TL
DIS Dad's Member #551
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
A Very Turkey Trip Report: 1/22/11 - 1/29/11 - Updated, but never complete!
Old 05-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #27
katoot
DDC
And OWNAGE

Day 7: Will Castle Magic Keep Rain at Bay?

Day 7- January 25th

We started our day slightly later than usual. 7am wake up time (again, no alarms…we didn’t use alarms at all this trip). Today is our first trip to the Magic Kingdom. However, I’ve been watching the Weather Channel almost non-stop. It’s supposed to rain today, quite hard. Hopefully, not while we’re at the MK. I want to leave a little early, but Soon Ae wants to relax. I oblige.

I finally head to the buses around 9:45 or so. A bus quickly picks us up and we are on our way. Before long, we are at the Magic Kingdom. We take a couple pictures in front of the train station before we head in. I’m most excited to see her initial reaction to seeing the castle up close (meaning, not from Cali Grill in the Contemporary Resort). We turn the corner to go on to Main Street and her expression is one of astonishment. I couldn’t be happier.

We take a few more pictures near the castle and head towards Adventureland (we’re planning on going to MK for parts of three days, so we’re in no rush to get to the most popular rides…we have two more days to check them out). The Jungle Cruise has a 10 standby, but we walked right on. It was quite nostalgic for me, and Soon Ae seemed to enjoy it, as well. Next, Pirates of the Caribbean. Again, pretty much a walk on. The slight drop scared Soon Ae a bit (and, admittedly, caught me off guard), but she enjoyed it.

We head towards Frontierland and spot Woody and Jessie doing a Meet and Greet. The line wasn’t too long, so we decide to wait. Right before it was our turn, they take their break. No worries. We are in no rush. The wait wasn’t even 10 minutes and we are getting hugged by the two and get our pictures taken.

Unfortunately, Splash Mountain is closed for refurbishment (which I knew, but, having never been on it, was still disappointed...especially since it was scheduled to reopen on the 29th, the day we leave Disney), so I ask Soon Ae if she’d like to try Big Thunder Mountain. Again, to my surprise, she says yes! Although, afterwards, I don’t think she’ll want to do it again (but I’d be willing to bet that she enjoyed it more than another ride on another day….I’ll get to that in a future update).

We arrive near Liberty Square just in time for the jamboree in front of the Country Bear Attraction and Soon Ae wants to try dancing with one of the characters. (I'd post the video, but my links aren't working...)

After a quick “break” in Liberty Square (maybe they didn’t appreciate her dancing)…

We go to the Haunted Mansion, my favorite attraction. Soon Ae was a little scared, but enjoyed it, nonetheless.

After a quick lunch at Cosmic Ray’s (and, I believe, a viewing of Philharmagic), it was time for my mom’s favorite attraction, It’s a Small World. Soon Ae was especially excited to see the Korean representation on the ride (although, in the room of goodbyes, she thought it was amusing that the Korean goodbye was slightly misspelled).

Knowing the forecast, and seeing that it was starting to get a little cloudier, we decide to leave the park and do some quick shopping/browsing at Downtown Disney. However, before we left the park, we stopped for a quick show of the marching band.

Soon Ae’s reaction to leaving Magic Kingdom.

We arrive at Downtown Disney and do a lot of window shopping. I pick up a few Vinylmations and Soon Ae buys some souvenirs for friends back home. While we are in World of Disney for the second time, it starts to rain…hard. We wait it out a bit, and then head to Wolfgang Puck Express for a very good dinner. It starts pouring out while we are there.

Once we finish, we hurry for the bus stop, while rain is blowing every which way. The bus for Pop arrives and, somewhat surprisingly, a Brazilian tour group gets out. Oh, what fun they will have in this weather. We hop on the bus for what we hoped was a relaxing ride back to the resort. However, our bus has a few leaks…in the light fixtures! Fortunately, nothing happened, but it was a little troubling seeing water pour out of the lights.

We get back to the resort and head back to our room for an early turn in. I watch the Weather Channel some more and see that tornadoes had been spotted or touched down within 30 miles of WDW. Fortunately, they never came near the World.

Coming Up Next
Will they visit more than one park a day, considering they have park hoppers?

By the way, for a potentially much better Trip Report, go visit Turkey Lurkey's.

DIS Dad Member #598
(me) (DW) (DS) (DS)
Runs:

Past visits:

Old 05-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #28
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

I see you didn't washed away to much by the storm. I was happy we made it back to the room before it all broke loose.

I know when I heard about the tornados, my girls were scared, but I made up a story that the rooms could take a tornado safely, due to being built for hurricanes.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #29
jelloarms
DIS Veteran

Just letting you know I'm reading! That's cool that you teach English in South Korea. Can you speak it fluently as well? I was there in 2007 for a week vacation and would love to go back someday! Love the food there. Kim Chee soup is the best!
Old 05-15-2011, 03:13 AM   #30
katoot
DDC
And OWNAGE

Real Life Update

Sorry for the lack of updates lately, but I've been slightly busy/unmotivated the past few weeks.
I've been without a job since April 18th (my school was dealing with budget cuts, and when it came to renewing my year-long contract, they opted to go with a gyopo, or Korean American, since they're cheaper). I've had a few interviews for a new job over the past couple months, such as at a high school, an iron ore refinery-type factory, and a newspaper gig, but nothing has come of those. I have another interview tomorrow for a private elementary school in the first city I lived in (Incheon), so hopefully I'll get some pixie dust magic to help me out with that.
Some other things that have kept me busy:
We had a few holidays here in Korea over the past week or so- Children's Day, Parent's Day, and Buddha's Birthday. For Children's Day (the 5th), DW and I took her daughter (from a previous marriage) to visit some of DW's sisters and their families. We had a nice picnic with them, but had to cut it a little short, as DW had to work that night. On Friday, I struggled to finish my scrapbook from our trip (did a fairly good job on it, too...considering I finished over 30 pages that night) in order to show it to DW's mom and brothers, who we were going to visit on Parent's Day (the 8th). We left on Saturday afternoon around 3pm. Traffic was HORRIBLE that day, as we didn't get to her mom's house until about 11:30pm (as a frame of reference, when we came back on Monday morning, we left at 4am and arrived at our home at 7am). We had a nice visit with her mom and her older and younger brothers. Tuesday, the 10th, was Buddha's Birthday. We didn't really celebrate it, but spent the day looking for a new apartment in Incheon (because of cheaper apartment prices and to be closer to three of her sisters). We looked at about 5 or 6 apartments, but weren't impressed by any of them except for the last one. It looked like it would fit us perfectly. On Thursday, we signed the papers, and we'll be moving to Incheon on June 21st.
If I happen to get this private elementary job, it would be great, as I would only have to work 8:30-4:30 Mon-Thu every week. I'd also get a summer and winter bonus, as well as 3 weeks off in those times (for a total of 6 weeks vacation). I could maybe start as soon as a couple days after the interview, but that would mean I'd have about an hour and a half commute each way until we move, but I can deal with that. Again, here's hoping I get some Pixie Dust working for me.
To kind of offset my current lack of income, I have been teaching two twentysomethings a conversation class for two hours a week the past month or so...it's not much, but it's something.

Anyways, that's why I haven't had a real update on here for the past week or so. I'm going to try to get one up in the next few days (perhaps even later tonight)...perhaps I need to look through a few more of the other TRs on here and through my scrapbook to get a bit motivated.

DIS Dad Member #598
(me) (DW) (DS) (DS)
Runs:

Past visits:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: