DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Quick trip to the World and this time I am not nuts

Pre-Trip

I spent the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s) in the hospital. Not a season to remember. It started with a slight swelling in my right foot that in less than a week spread to both legs. They swelled two to three time’s normal size. Not a pretty sight and I headed to the hospital. Then things got complicated.

What should have been a week+ stay ended up at six weeks. For the first three weeks, I was on complete bed rest which atrophied my arm and leg muscles. They then started a regimen of physical and occupational therapy. Eventually was transferred to a rehab hospital to accelerate progress. Things are much better now. They still have to see me regularly to monitor things and I am not back to my fighting weight (I lost 25 lbs.). Fingers are crossed that everything will eventually pass.

OK, so now you are thinking is this a medical trip report? Well, no it isn’t. One of things I had to do when I got home was to bank my DVC points before the deadline passed. MS informed me that there were still points that were banked the previous year. I have no idea how that happened but they needed to be used by June or disappear forever. Like H-E-double hockey sticks I was going to let that happen. My mind went to work figuring out a scenario. Since I rarely use my mind, it took a little while but I came up with a plan.

Called MS and tried for a Studio or 1BR at any resort but SSR or OKW. No offense to anyone but they are my least favorite resorts. The only thing available was a Standard View 1 BR for Monday at BLT. Booked that and waitlisted for Tuesday. It came through but for a Lake View 1 BR. Called MS again and asked to be waitlisted for a LV for Monday. It did not come through but stay tuned.

Is my room ready yet? Every time we rode the Monorail I would take pictures of the construction progress. This will be the first time I stayed here. A bonus.

Notice that I said this will be the first time “I” stayed there. As originally planned part of the trip was to do some College shopping and visits to Universities of Florida and Central Florida. Maybe South Florida in Tampa. DD’s school had a surprise and she needed to do some work over break. So she and one of her friends we invited (the kid named 1 from the Sweet 16 TR) could not go. So it was either cancel or go it alone. The decision was difficult to make. Really, it was. OK, no it wasn’t. I did not plan on going to the parks but mostly sit back and enjoy the hotel. No other plans but to visit TOTWL for snacks and fireworks. Meals and other activities will be made on the fly.

DD and 1 from the Sweet 16 trip. Yes, they will both be seniors next year and heading off to college the following year. Time flies with kids. I imagine I will be singing, “Where is the little girl I carried…” from Fiddler on the Roof. As an aside, we saw this together when I lived in New York and she was visiting over the summer. Seems like just yesterday.

The Sweet 16 gang. It was a fun trip and I even survived.

Last Thursday they had a ceremony to hand out the class rings. Here are a few shots.

Welcome the Class of 2012.

DD after getting her class ring.

Sitting with the rest of the group. That is 2 sitting with DD and 1. No idea who the goober is sitting next to 2. I keep telling DD boys are goofy at that age.

Post ceremony picture with 1. They grew up fast.

Sorry they couldn’t make it but we still have the summer. So that is the plan. Does it work out? Stay tuned to find out. Not sure how entertaining this TR will be. Going solo with no teenagers to make fun of and very little (or any) time planned in the parks. This could be boring.

Up next: Day 1: Checking in

Last edited by cj9200; 05-07-2011 at 07:52 AM.
cj9200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear you are on the mend, got to get back in Disney form. Waiting here, for the trip report. It will be interesting to see how you do solo, I'm so use to you being the best dad ever I'm living off of trip reports now, our next trip planned is for Dec 2012 unless my DH takes a real vacation, which was the point when we bought DVC.

kikiq is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
dopeygirl76
DIS Veteran

can't wait for more!!! Glad you are feeling better!
Dec 06 POP (First Family trip - ME 6 months preg) Nov 07 POFQ with MIL & FIL Apr 08 SSR 1st DVC, DD 4th b-day, ME & DH 7th ANN Oct 08 VWL Apr 09 OKW, FILs 60th Bday Nov 09 BCVApr 10 OKW DSis HS grad the WHOLE famSept 10 SSMC 1st time Cruising and BLT!Apr 11AKV-Kidani 10th Anniversary & EasterDec 11SSR 1st CPMay 12Disney's Doubletree DTD work & fun all in one!Aug 12 DCL 5day Carribbean CruiseNov 12 Thanksgiving with the Mouse!!!
dopeygirl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
BigEeyore
DIS Veteran

Good to see you back on the Dis, and glad you are feeling better! I love your TR's - looking forward to more!

(Me) (DH) (DD 7/29/05) (DD 3/9/2009) (Eli) (Mo)
BigEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

BLT is pretty high on our list "we really need to stay there next time" Can't wait to hear what you thought of the TOTWL
Old 03-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad

I'm in! Great start!
Chris DisDad#403
Me DW DS(15) DS(14) DD(12)

As Kid: 1978 & 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel -
Dec 2008 GF/Poly - Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF -
June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT - Feb 2012 AKL -
Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Mar 2015 GF VC
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
dgaston
Proudly wears a "Believes in Fairies" t-shirt

lots of wishes for continued health improvement. I've been on all your *crazy* trip reports and feel a little like I'm watching your beautiful daughter and friends grow up. Senior year will just fly by for both of you.

I'm in a bit of nostalgia -- our daughter is expecting our first grandchild, and we're planning a trip with them in November. Seems like just yesterday she was 5 years old, quivering with excitement as Mickey came to our breakfast table at what was then the Empress Lilly.

So I expect those days will be in your future too, just not too soon!

dgaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
5forDiz
DIS Veteran

Always enjoy your TRs & glad your back

Well you had me tearing up when you said 'seems like just yesterday' regarding your DD (especially since today I happened to look at photos of our family's 2006 trip & I couldn't believe how our have grown). I may need to get a copy of those lyrics from Fiddler on the Roof from you

May your health be better & stronger with each day
& look forward to hearing all about your BLT adventure
5forDiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
DMKEDM
DIS Veteran

Signing in/on...you're one of the best TR writers in our community!

So sorry to hear about your health challenges...do hope that they're pretty much behind you now...

One good thing: you don't have to carry the "leash of shame" this trip! No doubt, the "lightened load" will help your recovery (grin)!!!

Enjoy, and thanks for letting us enjoy vicariously with you!
DMKEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiq View Post
Glad to hear you are on the mend, got to get back in Disney form. Waiting here, for the trip report. It will be interesting to see how you do solo, I'm so use to you being the best dad ever I'm living off of trip reports now, our next trip planned is for Dec 2012 unless my DH takes a real vacation, which was the point when we bought DVC.
Best dad ever? Not really. Sorry to hear you won’t be back till 2012. Good time of year to go though. Happy planning. One of the things I decided when I left the hospital was if I can afford it and want to do it, I will. Make sure he takes that vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeygirl76 View Post
can't wait for more!!! Glad you are feeling better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore View Post
Good to see you back on the Dis, and glad you are feeling better! I love your TR's - looking forward to more!
Thanks. Glad you both signed on again. You must be gluttons for punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
BLT is pretty high on our list "we really need to stay there next time" Can't wait to hear what you thought of the TOTWL
Barry, welcome to my little Odyssey. I don’t want to ruin the surprise but I liked BLT. How much, stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDadDoc View Post
I'm in! Great start!
Thanks Chris. Hopefully we will have a great finish. Have you noticed who is leading the tourney pool? I think I need U. Conn to lose and I am in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaston View Post
lots of wishes for continued health improvement. I've been on all your *crazy* trip reports and feel a little like I'm watching your beautiful daughter and friends grow up. Senior year will just fly by for both of you.

I'm in a bit of nostalgia -- our daughter is expecting our first grandchild, and we're planning a trip with them in November. Seems like just yesterday she was 5 years old, quivering with excitement as Mickey came to our breakfast table at what was then the Empress Lilly.

So I expect those days will be in your future too, just not too soon!
One of the reasons I started TRs is to document her growing up through Disney. Great memories. Best wishes to your daughter and grandchild. For mine, not too soon is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5forDiz View Post
Always enjoy your TRs & glad your back Well you had me tearing up when you said 'seems like just yesterday' regarding your DD (especially since today I happened to look at photos of our family's 2006 trip & I couldn't believe how our have grown). I may need to get a copy of those lyrics from Fiddler on the Roof from you

May your health be better & stronger with each day
& look forward to hearing all about your BLT adventure
Thanks. I don’t know all the lyrics but it is a great song for dads to hear. I am sure it is on the web somewhere. I would listen to the version of Tevye performed by Topel. He starred in a version of the Broadway production and was in the 1971 movie. I think the song is titled Anatevka, one of his daughters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMKEDM View Post
Signing in/on...you're one of the best TR writers in our community!

So sorry to hear about your health challenges...do hope that they're pretty much behind you now...

One good thing: you don't have to carry the "leash of shame" this trip! No doubt, the "lightened load" will help your recovery (grin)!!!

Enjoy, and thanks for letting us enjoy vicariously with you!
ONE OF? ONE OF? Just kidding, thank you for the compliment. No leash of shame but there were a few times I sent myself to the corner to wear a dunce cap.

Just got back from the Florida Keys. Nice trip. The TR will hopefully continue tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post

Since I rarely use my mind
Whatever.

Your attempt at humble so is so utterly transparent.

And I know I should be all positive since you've been through so much. But let me tell you six weeks in a hospital - OMG, that would be filed under absolute personal he!! for me. Just thinking about it makes me shiver.

Last edited by lisaviolet; 03-30-2011 at 07:44 PM.
lisaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post

OMG. Priceless.

Last edited by lisaviolet; 03-30-2011 at 07:48 PM.
lisaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
Tinks "SS"
DIS Veteran

yeah!! So glad you are on the mend! Even more glad that another TR has started. I agree, your TR's leave me The leash of shame was the best. Definitely waiting to hear more.

me (Leigh Anne), DH (Bart), DS 12, DS10
Tinks "SS" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
Chellymouse
Dis Veteran

Welcome back! Glad to hear you're on the mend! Hope things continue to improve for you! Hospitals suck! Have a great trip! Can't wait to read more! Can't belive how grown up your DD looks this year!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 AM   #15
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
Whatever.

Your attempt at humble so is so utterly transparent.

And I know I should be all positive since you've been through so much. But let me tell you six weeks in a hospital - OMG, that would be filed under absolute personal he!! for me. Just thinking about it makes me shiver.
You might change your thinking about my false modesty when you read the next installment.

Yes, it stunk (would use more descriptive words if this wasn't a family thread). I HATE, HATE, HATE hospitals and doctors. Some of the medications they give you are pretty good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks "SS" View Post
yeah!! So glad you are on the mend! Even more glad that another TR has started. I agree, your TR's leave me The leash of shame was the best. Definitely waiting to hear more.
Thanks. Next installment should be up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellymouse View Post
Welcome back! Glad to hear you're on the mend! Hope things continue to improve for you! Hospitals suck! Have a great trip! Can't wait to read more! Can't belive how grown up your DD looks this year!
Scary how fast she has grown.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: