Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Destination D is the place for me … and Bill *New trip report started link page 12*

Who:
Tracy , 41 I am a DOCP (Disney Obsessive Compulsive Planner) and I have recently learned I have PWDD (Preoccupation With Disney Disorder)thanks to BoBippity. I am either planning a WDW trip, writing about a WDW trip, or writing a pretrip report about our next WDW trip. Bill and I make plans for the next trip while we are in WDW. It is a sickness that I never want to get a cure for.
Bill , no just kidding more like he always has a smile on his face, 40, he loves Disney as well, just hides it a lot better than I do. He is a computer geek, wickedly intelligent and has excellent driving skills. It is NOT easy driving a power wheelchair through massive crowds at WDW, but he does it with ease.

What:

Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th will transport D23 Members on a journey from the moment the first parcels of land in Central Florida were purchased in 1964 through the opening of EPCOT Center in 1982. The exclusive event will offer two full days of special entertainment, surprise guest appearances, a remarkable gathering of Walt Disney World "pioneers," retrospectives, screenings of rare and newly discovered film and TV footage, archival displays and informative presentations that will give D23 Members an unprecedented look at this truly spectacular World.

When:

May 11 – 16th, 2011, the Destination D event is the 14th and 15th, but we HAD to go a couple days early to go to Epcot’s Flower and Garden Festival.

Why:

Annual passes burning a hole in our pockets and we are addicted to WDW and D23 events.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We have officially gone insane. Today we woke up and Bill asked me "do you think we can swing a trip to WDW for the Destination D event in May.

These were magical words to my ears. Anyone that has met me or followed our trip reports knows I am WDW ADDICTED and also I have issues with asking for things I want for myself, I had wanted to go to this event for months. We talked and within 90 minutes, the resort, the D23 tickets, and the flights had been booked. Let’s go back about 16 hours in time to see how this crazy plan came about.

Last night while Bill was playing his MLB 2011 The Show, I had my earphones in like I always do when he plays his game FOR HOURS. Well I have been watching things on Netflix instant. I stumbled across “The Boys: The Sherman Brothers Story”. Robert is on the left, Richard on the right:

For those of you who don’t know the Sherman Brothers, shame on you , we are on a Disney board you need to look them up, but I will clue you in. They wrote many, many songs for Disney, including “It’s a Small World After All”, “Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow”, many Mary Poppins songs, “Winnie the Pooh”, etc. They are amazing. I watched the documentary, I am a sap, when they showed clips of Walt and the brothers talking about him I got all teary eyed . I stopped it and relayed information to Bill.

We knew Richard was going to be performing at Destination D, a D23 event at WDW in May. We had been to D23’s Magic and Merriment in December, so we knew the event would be a good one. This one is being held at the Contemporary Resort only no going from park to park, it is in May so no worry about the cold, it sounded wonderful, but I knew I had said yes to the WDW trip for this November. It is a special trip; we are doing many new things this time so I didn’t want to jeopardize it by asking if we could go in May. Even though I hadn’t asked outright, I seemed to not be able to shut up about it. When I would read something about it, I would tell Bill. I guess I had talked about it more than I thought I had. We had briefly discussed it but decided we shouldn’t. We went to bed last night with me listening to a Disney podcast and trying to put Destination D out of my mind.

Then this morning Bill’s question happened. He had offered to give up part of the November trip for this. I vehemently said no to that. He had been waiting a long time for what we have planned in November and I said there was no way we were giving that up for a May trip. We kept talking about it and decided we could swing it, then he said “get on the phone and book it!!”

For anyone reading that doesn’t know the reason I call in to book a WDW reservation is because Bill has Cerebral Palsy and uses a power wheelchair. We need a room with a roll in shower and those can only be booked over the phone. It was a miracle, Pop Century still had a preferred roll in shower room for our dates. I booked it and paid for it. I got online and purchased the Destination D tickets, then got on Southwest Airlines site and booked the airfare with a credit we had and money added to it.

Wow, we have never booked a trip this close to the date and never done the quick service plan . Since we are spending 2 full days at Destination D we decided it would make more sense to use that plan. We will do T-Rex in DTD out of pocket, Bill has always wanted to go there but we have never fit it in before. We might even stop by Ghirardelli’s for dessert.

Next installment… the first day plans!!

Last edited by mrsksomeday; 06-14-2011 at 04:09 PM.
mrsksomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

Arrival day

Plans for the first full day

Friday, Friday, Friday Plans

Destination D day 1

You knew we couldn’t do it

Destination D Day 2

Back to AK finally & final itinerary

Last edited by mrsksomeday; 05-06-2011 at 08:36 PM.
mrsksomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
starrzone
Quirky with snack cakes

Woooooot...I'm here for the ride!

Come check out my blog: http://starrzone.wordpress.com

starrzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Count me in, Tracy!! 47 Days is not so long!!!

All7OfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
ericamcl
DIS Veteran

AWESOME!
May 1994 DH w/ family - Contemporary August 1994 Me w/ family - Off site June 2005 Me w/ family-Wilderness Lodge March 2008 w/ DH- POFQOctober 2008 w/ DH & my family - POR February 2010 w/ DH and Nieces-BLT September 2011 w/ DH- BLT MK VIEW! December 2012 - SSR/VWL split stay w/ DHSeptember 2013 BLT-Theme Park View w/ DH & my family
ericamcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Subbing in .... will be back to read up!
Mickey_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #7
KatGarcia
Just Keep Swimming.

Just holding my spot! I LOVE reading about your trips!

My Disney Princess, Lily

Mission:Visit Disney Once a Month for a Year. A Florida Newbie's Tales.

Trips: Nov 09~POFQ {as a CM!}*Nov 08~ASMu*Aug 08~Pop (1st Solo Trip) & POR*Jan '08~ASMusic Suite/BWV*
Oct 07~CBR {F&W/MNSSHP}*June '07~Disneyland*Dec '06/Jan '07~Pop/CSR*Feb '05~POFQ*June 1996*Several trips as a kid*

KatGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:22 AM   #8
ddstratton
DIS Veteran

Sounds like fun!! Can't wait to hear about it!

And I LOVE your new banner! You always do such a nice job on those.

May 2016 Pre-Trip Report <--Also includes a Mini Trip Report of our March 2014 trip to Asheville/Gatlinburg

May 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report and
The AutoTrain, Disney World and More! Trip Report

October 2008 - Caribbean Beach
Pre-Trip Report and Trip Report
ddstratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 AM   #9
PrincessCaitlin
DIS Veteran

Hi!

I have lurked on a couple of your TRs and I wanted to post since I will be there at the same time as you and Bill

I am so jealous you two are going to the D23 event! I really wanted to go to the scavenger hunt portion but unfortunately that is our last day

The Hot Fudge Terrorists and the Curse of the Drunken Punkin

How Much was It?!?!?!?! The tale of our best trip ever!!!!

*The opinions and comments in the above post do not reflect the views, opinions, policies, or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates,
including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all other included areas.*
PrincessCaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:15 AM   #11
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Hi Tracy! I am excited for another TR!

We will be there at the same time! We also arrive on the 11th! Check out my PTR and see if our itineraries match up so we can "accidentally" run into each other.
Lifelong_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
disneyeeyorefan
Mouseketeer

yeah for going to Disney in 47 days The D23 event sounds wonderful!!

disneyeeyorefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
Tinkermom76
Gawrsh

I'm here!!! can't wait to read more!!!

Me (Natalie) DD12 (Eryka) DD9 (Emma)

May 1989 offsite, May 1999 CBR, Feb 2008 Nickelodeon, Dec 2009 CR, Dec 2010 Pop, Oct 2011, Pop, Feb 2012 WL, Sept 2012 POR, Sept 2013 ASM, May 2014 Pop, Nov 2014 CBR
Tinkermom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

I've lurked on past TRs of yours, and was excited to see a new PTR! And to see that you are going so soon! We'll be in WDW till May 9, just missing you two...
Joyciemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #15
jcc0621
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong_Dreamer View Post
Hi Tracy! I am excited for another TR!

We will be there at the same time! We also arrive on the 11th! Check out my PTR and see if our itineraries match up so we can "accidentally" run into each other.
Before I get to Tracy - YOu are doing a PTR the includes the brothers and you DID NOT TELL US! Heading there next

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tracy - I wish Jim was more like Bill. If I told him I wanted to book a trip today for May he would call me crazy

And I knew who the SHerman Brothers are

Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

SAVING TO GO TO DISNEYLAND
jcc0621 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: