Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #16
PolyndianPrincessJes
Alias: TotalSnowWhite
I'm a Snapfish/Shutterfly/Winkflash addict
Yes, you totally can do that, and I do!!!

You'll be fine. I'm taller than you, and I wear about the same size as you. I've ridden almost everything including Astro Orbiter. It wasn't tight, but it was low. Just be prepared to use your arm muscles to get out. It's not nearly as bad as you think. I've done all the major rides, ridden with my mom, my kids (one and two at a time) and strangers. No worries!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #17
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

If you head over to the Disney World Tips board on here you'll find a thread called "Everything Poohsized" or something like that. You can probably find a lot of help and info there. Lots of people in the same situation.

I'm just bordering pooh sized..I like to consider myself cute and fluffy, and I've never had a problem at Disney. Most reports you see around these boards are the same way, it's a rarity. You may also feel better knowing a lot of the thrill rides have "test" vehicles where you can try it out, like sit in the seat and make sure you'll be comfortable in it.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #18
TTAfanatic
Mouseketeer

i'm 6'3 350, and they only rides I have had troubles with are Astro Orbiter, and Space Mountain. and I'll never ride Astro Orbiter again, it's brutal on my knees from sitting there so cramped up. Space mountain, I just kind of pull my self up, it's rather easy, only bad thing, it's also killer on the knees (they hit the front that covers your feet).

All the other rides are perfect. I haven't had problems with them, except everest, it's a tight fit because the lap bar, but I get clicked in and i hope my legs are black and blue from the tight fit.

Disney realizes they are a family park, and have accommodated to the bigger people.

Trips:
1993-offsite, 2002 & 2006 ASMu, 2010 SSR (free upgrade from POP), 2011 CSR, 2012 POP!
TTAfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:08 AM   #19
mmmbop
DIS Veteran

I'll agree with Space Mountain. It can be pretty rough. As a flip-flop tourer, I have gotten my flip flop caught several times, always the left one. I think I may need to remember the turn over, knee on the seat routine. I've always put my hand on the seat in front of me, and gotten up that way.
Astro Orbiter I never had a problem on, but I've always flown solo Yes, be prepared to pull yourself out. But it wasn't too hard to get out of.

Being 5'9", I encounter more rides where I may have to "shift" so my knees aren't right up against the ride vehicle. These include Splash Mountain, Snow White's Scary Adventures, and Winnie the Pooh.
Another one is definitely Rock N Rollercoaster. To avoid the knee issue, I ask to sit in an odd-numbered row. CMs are awesome about this and have never had a problem!
Spaceship Earth is another shifting of knees ride.

Another tight one may be The Muppets. I lower the seat, sit on the edge & work my way back.
A possible "eek!" is on Kali River Rapids. It can be tough if a CM tries to sit two-per-seat, as designed. But usually CMs are cognizant and will load the raft in such a way that it won't draw attention and such.

These are the only "issues" I've encountered, and tbqh, aren't issues at all. It's just "knowing" they will be tight on my knees, but never uncomfortable, especially if you go in knowing that you need to sit sideways, in order to not be knee-to-back. Never felt self conscious otherwise.

Someone did mention the Sum of All Thrills ride in Innoventions. My mother tried this, and LOVED it! She, however, is also pretty skinny. The queue has a sign that says something to the effect of, "not all body types will be able to partake in this attractions". I read on the boards that there was a weight limit, whether or not there was, I avoided it.

Have a super fun time!!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #20
lilwhiterabbit
Wishing Upon a Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Z View Post
I am 5ft nothing and am a bit overweight and older I can't get out of the cars at SP! I need my DS to help me. I have never felt selfconscious except in my own mind!
Similar boat here; I'm 5'0 (maybe 5'1 if I stretch) and a size 12 and I have trouble with the SP cars. I haven't tried the Astro Orbiter, but if it's like everyone's saying, I don't think I want to.

I haven't read the entire thread, so I don't know if anyone else has brought it up, but Mission:Space is a pretty tight squeeze for me and, like I said, I'm not particularly big.

Of course, I do carry a lot of my weight in my hips.
lilwhiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:19 AM   #21
Disneymadhouse
DIS Veteran

Red face

I'm poo sized too, and found the teacups a squeeze. The other problem I had was going through turnstiles - I found it easier to walk on tip toes and kind of shimmy through sort if side ways! This could also be because I am short - about 4'11 and maybe a half!!

Claire

1994 WDW Lindfields villa 1999 WDW Polynesian Disney Magic 2002 WDW All Star sports 2005 Disneyland Radisson Maingate 2007 WDW Best Western Lakeside 2012 WDW OKW 2014 Disney Magic 2015 ???
Disneymadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:39 AM   #22
Nadia_disfan
Mouseketeer

Welcome!! so exciting planning these trips, there's no other trip that is as enjoyable before as during, I'm sure you'll be fine on most rides, I'm average sized, with a whole lotta hips and bum, but as most people are carrying extra these days the rides are designed with all sizes in mind, rocking rollercoaster could be a squeeze, but hey aerosmith could do with a good meal or two haha ..., I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the amount of curvier folk in the parks, and I hope you have a fantastic time!!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #23
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwhiterabbit View Post
Similar boat here; I'm 5'0 (maybe 5'1 if I stretch) and a size 12 and I have trouble with the SP cars. I haven't tried the Astro Orbiter, but if it's like everyone's saying, I don't think I want to.

Of course, I do carry a lot of my weight in my hips.
Sounds like my shape! I just rode Astro Orbiter a few weeks ago. It isn't easy to get out because you are kind of down inside the rocket. There isn't a lot of padding and you get pushed to one side by the momentum so it can hurt a little too. But I am glad I got a chance to ride it at least once.
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #24
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Hahaha yes those darn turnstiles!!! I have always found the keep my head facing forwards and twisting the hips technique to work for me.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
august, graduation, overweight, tips

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: