Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > Podcast Cruises
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #1021
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

Oh, I'm not worried about having a "bad" cabin...I just wasn't sure I wanted to be so far down....but, as it stands right now, I'm in "Guaranteed" status, so I don't know yet where I am as far as the cabin. Tracey emailed me and said as soon as DCL lets her know, then I'll know......but you are right about one thing.....we are going on the cruise !!!! Just for those keeping track (and others who are not.....) We have 298 days...(not counting today)

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayšoš
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #1022
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphscott View Post
In all of my cruises I have never been in a "bad" cabin. I always find it amusing how folks get so worked up about the cabin location. You are on the ship - everything is available to you - enjoy!
Alright Scott, I respectfully disagree. We have been on 5 DCL cruises. We booked 2 GTYs. The first was our 1st cruise - Wonder 2005 and it was for part of our honeymoon. It was a Cat 12 that we were upgraded to a Cat 11 on Deck 7. Worked out great. However, in Jan 2011, we "hopped" on the Magic for a budge cruise and it was an 11c GTY. We were "upgraded" to a Cat 9, room 2628. This room was awful. Not the room itself, but the location. It was right below the gangway, so the loading/unloading was awful, and right under the galley. We only complained once about the noise when they were stripping pain above us on Deck 3 or 4 and DD was trying to sleep. We did not ask to be moved or for any compensation, just for the noise to stop. After that, I decided never again would I let DCL choose my room; no more GTYs for us.

What I did like about Deck 2? We don't take the elevators all cruise and that was a nice little hike to everything up on the higher decks

We just got off the Dream yesterday - I commented to my DH that their deck 2 seems a lot better (although we were on Deck 9).

4 Months 3 days until boarding the Fantasy

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #1023
Cherinva

Good Morning Everyone !!!!

Old 02-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #1024
sdlong329
"Life is just a Fantasy!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
Alright Scott, I respectfully disagree. We have been on 5 DCL cruises. We booked 2 GTYs. The first was our 1st cruise - Wonder 2005 and it was for part of our honeymoon. It was a Cat 12 that we were upgraded to a Cat 11 on Deck 7. Worked out great. However, in Jan 2011, we "hopped" on the Magic for a budge cruise and it was an 11c GTY. We were "upgraded" to a Cat 9, room 2628. This room was awful. Not the room itself, but the location. It was right below the gangway, so the loading/unloading was awful, and right under the galley. We only complained once about the noise when they were stripping pain above us on Deck 3 or 4 and DD was trying to sleep. We did not ask to be moved or for any compensation, just for the noise to stop. After that, I decided never again would I let DCL choose my room; no more GTYs for us.

We just got off the Dream yesterday - I commented to my DH that their deck 2 seems a lot better (although we were on Deck 9).
Really?

You expected the cruise line to stop maintenance on the ship, because someone was trying to sleep? I am assuming this was during the day time (likely while in port), since DCL typically would not do paintwork in the dark. If that's the case ... I fear you have priorities backwards. A ship at sea will eventually rust inward, without DAILY cleaning and maintenance. It's not like hiring a contractor to work on your home ... it's THEIR ship, and they work 24/7/365!

We've had oceanview and verandah staterooms and had crews power washing and / or painting the exterior of the ship while in port. Not an issue for us ... they're working! This sort of work is typically performed while in port for several reasons ...
- Guests are often ashore
- CM's are able to work along side of the ship
- Work can be performed with less interference from salt water

We are DCL Platinum ... often sail on deck 2 midship. I can honestly say I have never been under the gangplank, nor the galley (especially at the same time). Gangplank aside, I have found MOST staterooms are not under a noisy public room (part of the Disney pixie dust design) ... but have no first hand experience in specific stateroom ... nor have I heard any other situation since we started sailing DCL in 1999.

As for Deck 2 *seeming* to be better on the Dream ... I think that was likely an illusion.
sdlong329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #1025
Silverfox97

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
Really?

You expected the cruise line to stop maintenance on the ship, because someone was trying to sleep? I am assuming this was during the day time (likely while in port), since DCL typically would not do paintwork in the dark. If that's the case ... I fear you have priorities backwards. A ship at sea will eventually rust inward, without DAILY cleaning and maintenance. It's not like hiring a contractor to work on your home ... it's THEIR ship, and they work 24/7/365!

We've had oceanview and verandah staterooms and had crews power washing and / or painting the exterior of the ship while in port. Not an issue for us ... they're working! This sort of work is typically performed while in port for several reasons ...
- Guests are often ashore
- CM's are able to work along side of the ship
- Work can be performed with less interference from salt water

We are DCL Platinum ... often sail on deck 2 midship. I can honestly say I have never been under the gangplank, nor the galley (especially at the same time). Gangplank aside, I have found MOST staterooms are not under a noisy public room (part of the Disney pixie dust design) ... but have no first hand experience in specific stateroom ... nor have I heard any other situation since we started sailing DCL in 1999.

As for Deck 2 *seeming* to be better on the Dream ... I think that was likely an illusion.
Listen, I wasn't upset, nor was I a person that let something like that "ruin our cruise." I get all the maintenance stuff - I do. I understand why they do what they do and when they do it. I also know that you can't please everyone all of the time. I do agree that a room on the ship is better than a room at home.

What I learned from that was: Room 2628 on the Magic was a noisy room (maintenance aside - the gangplank and galley were indeed noisy, and that went on late at night and began early in the morning). And, that I personally would not book a GTY room again and let DCL choose my room. I much prefer to choose my own room and put a "do not change room" on my reservation. For our next 4 cruises, I have had our DU TA do this. I could care less about possibly getting upgraded.

Personally, I am not a deck 2 person. Personally. There are a lot of people like that like deck 2. On the Dream, there is a restaurant down there, so it's not as crammed at all. You are right, it may be an illusion.

I am not Platinum, I am lowly gold. I have sailed on 5 DCL cruises (1st back in 2005) and have had inside (deck 7 Wonder), oceanview (deck 2 Magic), and verandahs (deck 6 Wonder & Magic, deck 9 (Dream). I have verandah cabins booked for all of our subsequent bookings. I think that like a hotel, not every single room can be perfect, pixie dust or not.

I just wanted to give my personal experience of caution.

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Old 02-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #1026
Silverfox97

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlong329 View Post
Gangplank aside, I have found MOST staterooms are not under a noisy public room (part of the Disney pixie dust design) ... but have no first hand experience in specific stateroom ... nor have I heard any other situation since we started sailing DCL in 1999.
Here are the other reviews to show that I was not being picky:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruis....cfm?Room=2628

Old 02-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #1027
schimj
Grumpybutt Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post

What I did like about Deck 2? We don't take the elevators all cruise and that was a nice little hike to everything up on the higher decks

4 Months 3 days until boarding the Fantasy
Sorry to hear about your bad experience on Deck 2. On our past few cruises, we've been on Deck 2 Fwd (Port side, as I recall...but they were inside rooms), and we had no problems at all. We just got off Saturday from a Western on the Magic and were in 2021. Our one complaint about that room was lack of storage space. The drawers were tiny, and I think there was one less bank of them than the room we were in just a few doors down in October. We like 2 Forward due to its proximity to Sessions, the piano bar. We spend way too much time (and money) there. We did have one room that we didn't much care for on 2, but that was mostly due to a leaky AC unit, not noise. Glad you found rooms that you like, but if we make it back to the Magic, I think we'll stick with Deck 2.

schimj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #1028
Emiel
The Netherpeople are in the house!My advice: keep listening...
I thought: DUHUH

Just a quick note: the Disney Fantasy is leaving Bremerhaven in Germany today to start her Trans Atlantic crossing.

"As we speak" she is still docked BTW.

Looking forward to cruising on the Fantasy in December!!!

Disneyland 1990 - 2000 - 2011
WDW 1990 - 1999 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 (Apr + Dec) - 2009 (Apr + Dec) - 2010 (Apr + Dec) - 2011 (Apr + Dec) - 2012 (Jun + Dec)
DCL 2008 - 2009 (PCC1.0) - 2010 (EB TA + PCC2.0) - 2012 (PCC3.0 + PCC4.0)
Emiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #1029
Cherinva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiel View Post
Just a quick note: the Disney Fantasy is leaving Bremerhaven in Germany today to start her Trans Atlantic crossing.

"As we speak" she is still docked BTW.

Looking forward to cruising on the Fantasy in December!!!
Thanks Emiel....I can't wait to cruise again....see you in December !!!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #1030
Cherinva

Good Morning Everyone !!!! We have 295 days until we sail.....

Old 02-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #1031
Yvet
♫ She is a dancing queen ♪ One of the Netherpeople
Has quite a unique FE

Just checking in.....
Letting you guys know that i'm still alive.....

Can't wait to cruise again!!!!

Upcomming Trip:
WDW: May 9th 2013
DCL: May 18th EBTA

Previous Trips:
ABD: 2011 (Backstage Magic)
DCL: 2008 (Western) - 2009 (PCC1.0) - 2010 (EBTA, MED, PCC2.0) - 2012 (PCC3.0, PCC4.0)
DL, 2000 - 2006 - 2011.
DLRP, 1995 - 1996 - 2002 - 2003 - 2007 - 2008 - 2011 - 2012.
WDW, 1999 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 (april/may + dec) - 2009 (april/may + dec) - 2010 (april/may + dec) - 2011 (april/may + dec) - 2012 (June + Dec).
Yvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:38 AM   #1032
Emiel
The Netherpeople are in the house!My advice: keep listening...
I thought: DUHUH

The Fantasy is on the move (since last night CET). She is currently moving on the North Sea (between UK and The Netherlands) and is going thru the English Channel later this morning.

It's destiny for this trip is Ponta Delgada at the isle of São Miguel (Azores), which is an autonomous region from Portugal, located about 900 miles west from it's capitol Lisbon.

The Fantasy is expected to arrive in Ponta Delgada next Monday.

I'll try to keep you posted!

Disneyland 1990 - 2000 - 2011
WDW 1990 - 1999 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 (Apr + Dec) - 2009 (Apr + Dec) - 2010 (Apr + Dec) - 2011 (Apr + Dec) - 2012 (Jun + Dec)
DCL 2008 - 2009 (PCC1.0) - 2010 (EB TA + PCC2.0) - 2012 (PCC3.0 + PCC4.0)
Emiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #1033
Cherinva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvet View Post
Just checking in.....
Letting you guys know that i'm still alive.....

Can't wait to cruise again!!!!
Hi Yvet !!!!!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #1034
Cherinva

Hello fellow cruisers !!!! Just 42 weeks from today and I will be leaving for Orlando !!!! It sounds like a long time, but I'm sure the time will pass quickly....

Old 02-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #1035
Euphscott
DIS Veteran

Let me try to re-state what I intended by my original post that caused a dustup!

In GENERAL, I've found that the location mattereth not.
Now - I don't doubt individual cabins may have a negative possibility, but my point was more in line with those that will argue that being mid-ship somehow is a better feel than forward, aft, high, or low. I've not experienced location to make a difference - in reality the specific sailing conditions seem to have more effect than location aboard the ship. But that's just me and my observations.

Location due to what you do most is one possibility to consider (although for me - I've had cabins FURTHER away from my favorite locations and that actually helps my situation as I have to walk/exercise, which counteracts the overeating!), but again, I just see very little value in getting too worked up about general locations in regards to cabin selection.

Or perhaps in my 14 cruises I've lived a charmed existence in never selecting a cabin on my own and having wonderful experiences each time.

Sorry for any trouble I may have caused!!
And woo hoo for the Fantasy heading west!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: