Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
princessaw
Earning My Ears

Disneyland Hotel vs. Paradise Pier

Hi everyone! We are planning a family trip to DLR over thanksgiving. We are tring to decide between a PPH theme park view room or a DLH preffered standard room. Has anyone stayed in either of these rooms or have a preference? We have never stayed at either of these hotels and need some outside opinions. Our kids (13 and 7) both LOVE to swim, is there one pool that is better than the other? I have also heard that PPH can be quite a walk whereas DLH is right next to Downtown disney and the monorail station. Which has better holiday decorations? The difference between these two is only $3 so we could really go wither way! Thank you for all the help!
princessaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

We just got back from a stay at the PPH, Theme Park View room & we LOVED it!!

I posted pictures in this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....745747&page=41

Post #611

The PPH really isn't much more of a walk then the DLH. If you go thru the GCH lobby, it's just across the street.

The DLH is at the end of DTD & the monorail isn't right next to the hotel. It's on that end, but you have to walk past the ESPN Zone & Rainforest Cafe.

When we stayed at the DLH in 09, the monorail was down a lot of our trip & so we had to walk all the way thru DTD........that can be quite a long walk after being at the parks all day. (further than if we had stayed at the PPH).

The DLH is undergoing major refurbishment on all the rooms, the grounds & the pool area. I'm not sure if it's even open right now & when it will open.

The pool at the PPH is on the 3rd floor (on top of the parking garage)....you get off the elevator on the third floor & walk right to it. It has a big water slide, a toddler pool, a regular pool & a hot tub. I have pictures of the pool area in my TR:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....593650&page=47

Post #697

We loved staying at both hotels, but PPH is definitely our favorite now. With the DLH remodel, they went with dark woods that I don't like......the PPH is light woods & the view can't be beat!!! We watched the WoC from our room, with the music being simulcast thru the tv.....it was awesome!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
goldies 5
DIS Veteran

The DLH has better Holiday theming for sure. There is just more places to put it. The PP does an underwater themed tree in the lobby. They both have carolers come through. Both have nice size rooms. The theme park view is pretty neat. The pools in the past have always been nicer at the DLH, but with the refurbishments, who knows. Also when will there washing machine facilities be open again? The folks have to trek to PP to wash laundry right now. The PP pool is nothing special, no theming. There is a waterslide, but it lands in a tiny bit of water, not a pool.
Both are nice, I would normally say DLH for the pool and amenities, but it is hard to say with all the construction going on.
All that being said, seems last year the hotels did not have all of their decorations up until right after TG from what I've read on the Christmas thread. We got to the GCH the Sunday right after TG and everything was up then. I would go with your own intuition on this one, you will have a great time either way.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

On my December trip, I had practically the same exact park view at the Paradise Pier Hotel that DizNee Luver showed you above, except I was 3 floors higher than where her room was. But I LOVED it too! I couldn't stop looking out the window whenever I was in the room - day or night. I watched the sunrise from the room. I watched them testing World of Color in the middle of the night. I could see the Christmas tree in DCA from the window. I had a great view of Tower of Terror, Grizzly Peak, the Grand Californian Hotel... I could hear the bloodcurdling screams from Mickey's Fun Wheel (of Death) and California Screamin'. I just loved it!

I have also stayed at DLH, but not in years and years, and the whole landscape of the DLH has changed now, not to mention the rooms have changed. So I can't comment on what the DLH is like currently, as far as being a guest. I have strolled around the grounds, though.

I really like the PPH - I've stayed there a bunch of times. It's a cute hotel, with an ocean/sun/surf theme. The rooms are spacious and bright.

The PPH gets a very bad reputation for supposedly being so far away, but, really, it is not far. It is literally right across the street from the Grand Californian Hotel, so all you do is exit the GCH out the front door, veer left and cross the street to the PPH. That is the famous "short cut." Plus, walking through the GCH lobby at Christmas time is just delightful!

What you should NOT do is follow the crazy signs on the PPH property which guide you to the gates of the parks - if you follow those, it will seem as though you are walking to New York!

On my December trip, I walked all around the PPH, all around the DLH (went in all 3 towers of the DLH) and all around the GCH, snapping photos of all the Christmas decorations in each hotel. Most of these photos are in my trip report, but I have got a few posted in the Disneyland at Christmas Time Superthread, and I will be posting more over time.

To be honest, I absolutely love love love the Christmas tree at the PPH. When my friend and I pulled up to the valet parking area, we could see in through the front doors and we were transfixed by the glowing blue/green lights on the tree. They were very eye-catching. It is a tall, towering tree, too, much like the tree at the GCH is. Whereas, none of the 3 trees at the DLH (in the 3 towers) are tall. The 3 DLH trees are pretty - like any Christmas trees are pretty - but they are not that special in any specific way. The PPH lobby tree is stunning - the blue and green lights don't even translate well in photos. You have to see it in person. And the GCH tree is gorgeous in that it fits so well with that theme and atmosphere. The GCH definitely has the best ambiance and cozy place to relax during the season, complete with a fireplace and comfy chairs, but I like the PPH tree the best just in terms of colors!

Out of the 3 hotels, I was the least impressed with the 3 trees at the DLH, surprisingly! BUT, that said, the DLH has some nice decorations around its entrance, and the Goofy's Kitchen tree is very colorful, whimsical and fun! I love the Goofy's Kitchen tree more than any other tree at the DLH!!

But, yes, as goldies 5 indicated, the bulk of the hotel decorations will not be up until Thanksgiving passes. I think that's stupid - if the holiday season begins on 11/11 or 11/18, then the whole Resort should be decked out then too (including all 3 hotels). But, alas, last year we were informed that the hotel stuff was not up until post-Thanksgiving.

Here is the Table of Contents (with photo links) from our Christmas Superthread:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...46&postcount=2

Again, I have not posted all of my DLH holiday photos (or PPH or GCH, either) in that thread yet, but I have a lot of them in my TR. Still, you can get a look at the PPH as well as many other festive holiday things that our wonderful DIS'ers have posted photos of.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran

By thanksgiving all of the refurbishment (including the room remodeling) at the Disneyland Hotel should be complete, and it would actually be a great time to go.

But you really can't go wrong with any of the 3 disney resort hotels.

Have fun!

Last edited by LisainCalifornia; 03-24-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: wanted to specify the hotel I was talking about!
LisainCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
christine*
Mouseketeer

If your kids really love swimming I would stay at DLH. The pool should be done by then and it should be pretty amazing with two slides and the monorail themeing. Here's a link to a thread about the DLH pool renovations:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2675127
Hawaii Aulani April 2014 Disney Cruise November 2013 Disneyworld BLT November 2013Disneyland DLH September 2013 Hawaii Aulani Feb 2013Disneyworld BLT Feb 2012Disneyland GCH 4/4/11-4/7/11Disneyworld SSR 3/13/10 - 3/16/10Disneyworld AKV 3/9/13-3/13/10Disneyland VGC 1/10/10-1/12/10Disneyland Off-Site 7/16/09Disneyland GCH 6/16/09-6/19/09Disneyland GCH 1/6/09-1/9/09Disneyworld CR 3/16/08-3/20/08Disneyworld ASMovies 3/14/08-3/16/08

christine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
princessaw
Earning My Ears

Thank you everyone for the great info!! Wow, so much to think about and process. Right now, I think we are leaning towards the theme park view at PPH. All of the pictures of WOC from the hotel look absolutely stunning. I think that would be a really memorable experience!! I am getting so excited, thanks again everyone!!
princessaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
jnjusoioa
I fell in love with DLR, whats not to love. Fantasyland, Toontown, Nemo and so much more. Both parks and DTD are full of little Disney touches that make it truly Walt's park. Mickey Pretzels, Mickey Gingerbreads, Mickey pancaks. Yummy. It is truly th

After reading this thread I am torn now. We had booked at the DLH, mainly because I thought it would be neat to stay there since it was the original Disney hotel. Now I am wondering, I had requested a DTD view room at the DLH, do you think that will be as nice as PPH theme part view room? Just wondering. Thanks in advance.
jnjusoioa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
goldies 5
DIS Veteran

That is a hard call. Both are nice. I like the feel of the DLH better. And I really don't care for crossing the street to get to PP. We have enjoyed both views with no real complaints.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
frijolefrito
Mouseketeer

this is coming from last year. I loved DLH. One of the reasons is the pictures around the bathrooms. I liked walking through downtown disney getting all amped up for disney. I also liked the walking back... it was good. All that plus I'm the same way I like being in disney hotel I always stay there. It was good times I must say. Then again I think that view thing is super cool but... I don't look to much out the window. Also I heard the others are closer.
frijolefrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

I prefer (from what I've seen) the DLH, though I haven't stayed in the PPH, I did go there twice during my last stay. I walked from PPH to DTD to go to the WOD store while doing laundry. It took me I think 12 minutes to get from PPH to the store. So it would be closer to 15 to the gates. I did the cut through the GCH and I didn't have kids with me. I REALLY didn't like crossing the big street and then walking along the drop off circle thing for GCH. With kids I'd be worried about the traffic and cars. With the DLH it's a small street with pretty much no traffic and then DTD. No worries about cars. And, I think the themeing at the DLH is really great.
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
walkerelt001
Earning My Ears

i like it
walkerelt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
lapdwife
DIS Veteran

PPH has been getting a quiet refurb the last (almost) year. Prior to it, I'd say stay away. There were still yucky ole bedspreads and ugly carpet. Now, it's really updated nicely and smells fresh. A theme park view is nice, but honestly for our family, we're barely in the room anyhow. I've never upgraded to view, but always received it. My 6 year old loves the slide at PPH. It's nice for the parents, too, because it does not empty into a pool, so you're not feeling the need to watch their every move. The best holiday decorations are in GCH, and you're free to wander through there and enjoy the tree. The tree at PPH is cutesy, but not sophisticated in any way.
Podcast 3.0 Cruise June 24, 2012
lapdwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #14
marcemc
I wouldn't be able to handle such fluffliness either

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
By thanksgiving all of the refurbishment (including the room remodeling) at the Disneyland Hotel should be complete, and it would actually be a great time to go.

But you really can't go wrong with any of the 3 disney resort hotels.

Have fun!
If renovations are over by then, I would suggest you book DLH, you mentioned your kids like to swim and that pool is much nicer. Call me crazy, but I have always thought that they also keep it warmer than the pool at PPH.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
nana50
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at both and they both have their pluses and minuses. PPH has a great slide at their pool. My grandkids LOVED it. There was no one there so they went over and over. The rooms are nice and bright and larger that DLH. The new upgraded DHL is great though. We stayed in a reno room and my 10 year old didn't want to leave the room, he just kept looking at the pool from our window. However you feel much more "Disneyed" at the DHL. Price is always a consideration too. PPH is always cheaper.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: