Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #91
johnscafide
A wish can last a day. Disney wishes last forever!

It's like we are in the middle of a ton to do, but can't do it all yet.

It's been real quiet the last week. I wish there was something major going on, but besides being sick and having a funeral to attend, there wasn't much going on.

We are awaiting an email back from Root so we can get a contract together and sign.

The discussion to eliminate the e-Shots came up again. This time, we have talked through it and decided not to go in November of this year, but do the e-Shots with Root in April/May whenever our planning session is.

Videography... hmmm... We narrowed it down to a potential 3...

Simply Cinematic
Cinematique Films
Starfruit Productions

I think I have the one I'd like.. Heather has a favorite too... This is gonna be a tough decision.. I thought photography was going to be hard and video was the easiest... mainly because I wasn't keen on videography to begin with. But now... WOW.. it's gonna be a while for this decision.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #92
johnscafide

Well Well Well.. look who's back?

Don't think I didn't miss the Dis! Yes folks, it's been a long month since I last wrote.

I can't say it was an easy month to go through, but it definitely flew by. It's my favorite time of the year, between birthdays, holidays, great north east weather and concrete wedding planning!!

First let me say that I, and my family survived the hurricane, tornado, earthquake, floods and major UFO sightings all in the one dark week of August. Okay, okay, I kid, there wasn't much of tornado, although a UFO sighting isn't off my bucket list. (In all seriousness, the floods were crazy up here in the Jersey/Philly area. And yes, we did see a tornado, too close for comfort for me)

We moved into our second apartment in as many years a couple weeks ago. Packing was rough, however the unpack was surprisingly easy and quick. I'm hoping we won't need to move in the next 2-3 years. It would be nice to get through the next year and a half with attention on the wedding then looking for a house (which is our next step).

One of my major goals in the next 6-8 months prior to the wedding is to hit the gym as much as I can. I'm in need of a weight loss of around 50lbs. We both have a specific goal, and getting it done before the planning session in April is the main objective.

Speaking of Planning Session..... We have decided that our PS will be April 21st - 26. We haven't decided on the place of stay, but probably end up being Pop Century.

Also, adding to the PS talk.. we finally sent out our signed agreement with deposit to Root! Super exciting!! They are so awesome, and we can't wait to get this started. We will have the engagement session with them on Sunday, April 22nd, when we are down for the planning session.

We haven't made a decision on videography yet. It's disappointing that we may have to cut funds in that area. I'm hoping we don't have to come to that, but the ones we want, have a deposit requirement at higher than we anticipated. But anyways, we have a little more time to think it over...

To bridge over to deposits, our Disney deposit/LOA is coming rapidly!! What is exciting is being able to book our honeymoon, planning session and wedding week stay all around the same 2 months after the LOA is signed. Love planning our trips to Disney!!! Our security deposit from the previous apartment is paying for Disney's deposit, so hopefully we get it back ASAP!

I mentioned this a while back (or at least I think I did), but we have been invited to do a podcast episode with Carrie (lurkyloo) sometime closer to the planning session, if not after. I think we will be taking her up on the offer and try to plan something out right after the PS. I want to share all that we have done leading up to the PS and how the PS went right after so it's still in my head. It's must listen radio when we're on, so I'm looking forward to the fun!!

Finally, if you haven't had the chance to see the latest blog entry by Disney'd Ever After Blog, I'd recommend checking the video they posted on there. Here's the link: http://disneyweddingsblog.com/walt-d...ding-pavilion/
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #93
bunny_pop
Mouseketeer

I used Cinematique Films for my wedding. I'll PM you my experience with them.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #94
mebbradley
Patiently waiting for the next trip to Disney!

It's so nice to see a grooms perspective!

Reading your pj kept me occupied all the way through NJ! Looking forward to reading more.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #95
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I think Carrie used StarFruit for her video. Good luck picking.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #96
johnscafide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny_pop View Post
I used Cinematique Films for my wedding. I'll PM you my experience with them.
Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebbradley View Post
It's so nice to see a grooms perspective!

Reading your pj kept me occupied all the way through NJ! Looking forward to reading more.
That's AWESOME! I know I haven't updated in a while, but there's reasons. I hope you continue reading the journey. It's going to be an awesome adventure the next 359+ days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I think Carrie used StarFruit for her video. Good luck picking.
Starfruit was an option for us. I think we are ready to make our decision. I think we needed time away for us to know exactly what we wanted.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #97
transfergirl
Mouseketeer

Hey, there. I remember you asking about Summerhouse, and see that you've booked it and the Marina. I hope to God that there will be a Halloween party that night, so that you can have perimeter fireworks as I did.

Last edited by transfergirl; 11-08-2011 at 12:45 PM.
transfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #98
johnscafide

That is SOOO AWESOME!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #99
rrali33tt
Mouseketeer

I just read your entire PJ and I'm subscribing! You're story is so sweet and I am so happy to see a Groom so excited to get married and especially one who is excited about the planning process! I can't wait to hear more about all of your ideas (they have been great so far)!
rrali33tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #100
johnscafide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrali33tt View Post
I just read your entire PJ and I'm subscribing! You're story is so sweet and I am so happy to see a Groom so excited to get married and especially one who is excited about the planning process! I can't wait to hear more about all of your ideas (they have been great so far)!
Thank you!! I haven't been posting a lot since there just wasn't much going on (and also for the fact I don't want to be that person who writes what they had for breakfast every other day). But major updates have happened, so I guess I should update!!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #101
johnscafide

Agreement signed sealed and delivered.

Where should I begin? So, yes, it's been another month or two since my last update. Don't be alarmed, there's still a wedding going on!

In the weeks leading up to the signing of the LOA, we decided on some absolutes.

For one, while Root Photography was doing our shoot, we also are going to add in a guys day out, which Root will be documenting for us.

Secondly, it seems as though we choose our vendor for video. Simply Cinematic was our final decision. I think this was the tougher decision thus far on making. There are so many great options out there, and we have a clear vision on having the video become a film. There was also cost concerns and the lengthy wait to get our wedding video, but we believe it was what we wanted from the beginning, and we have come full circle in choosing them.

We chose the officiant, and I'm really excited on this officiant. More on this in the next post.

It looks as though we settled with the guest list. It's at 91 invites, and are estimating 50-60 to come. It's a number we have been expecting, and while I wouldn't be surprised if more came, I would be if less did.

We picked out our wedding rings!!! So, okay, we went in the store where I got Heathers engagement ring (they are awesome, and if you are in the Philly area and need to know where, just message me) and we just wanted to look and get ideas, also to get her ring cleaned. Wouldn't you know we left the store with a receipt for my ring! I love my ring. It's heavy and think like I wanted and has a great feel to it. A picture is below.

Heather hasn't fully decided on two types of rings. I gave my opinion (the bigger one.. haha), and while there is a lot of time to go, she made a great decision either way. They look beautiful!

We also put up a Facebook group page just for the wedding. The idea was similar to how DisBoards Facebook page is now, and we made it private, inviting just the people involved in the wedding (and who's going). It allows for easier communication and it saves us from doing a newsletter. So far it's been going great, and people have been communicating a lot on the group. For the record, I don't think I'll ever touch the DFTW Facebook app unless they do a complete renovation of it. It's disgusting and definitely makes Disney look cheap, and Disney ain't cheap! Anywho....

Getting inspired by opening myself up to pictures. Seems like day after day I'm looking through hundreds of pictures from other weddings.. I guess I can tell it's getting close! So, Heather got me into Pinterest --- www.pinterest.com/scafs

I took a little tip from Carrie's podcast (Thanks SOOO much for the technology episode!!!), and got inspired to use my favorite hobby (technology) in the wedding. While all my ideas will be spread apart over many posts to follow, the main one was the use of Google Docs. WOAH, what an awesome tool! I was always the Microsoft Excel type, and never even looked at what Google had to offer in that area (except for gmail), but wow have they got gold! We are using Google Docs for EVERYTHING. From Expenses, to Questions to ask planner to itinerary to vendor lists. Guest lists and even seating arrangements. It's all there, and so easy to use. We are able to edit together (even if I'm at work and she's at home). If you haven't used it, I suggest you try it. It's super simple and fun!

And finally... The LOA. October 17th came around and I figured to email our trusty Disney Wedding Consultant to let him know we are ready to sign and give our deposit asap. We got a speedy reply saying to fill out some information and send it back. No problem I thought! Boo!

Halloween came early. Who knew, doing the room block would be SOOOO difficult! We managed to guesstimate on the 50-60 guests and were able to guarantee 126 room nights. At first we thought it might have been a little high to guarantee that many, but the more I thought about it, the less I worried. I have 25 of my immediate family members who are staying on the average of 4 nights. (using Google Docs, we were able to take the guest list, group all the people who would be staying together [ie. couples], and get the number of actual rooms and room nights used. This was super easy to use in Google Docs and allowed us to accurately count the number of nights we were actually going to use) In the end, just knowing the guaranteed list of people (about 25 "groups"), using the average of 4 nights staying down, gives us 100 room nights.

I think we have it set and are should have no worries about room nights. Plus, us alone will be reserving 13 room nights with wedding week and honeymoon down there.

So, we sent over the information to our extra speedy consultant, 4 days before the 24th, which is the 1 year date. No reply. I wondered what was wrong, but I gave the benefit of the doubt. The 24th came and went, and no answer from him. We sent another email, and we were given the same email we received before to fill out and send back. Apparently there was a computer mix up and he didn't get our email. Oh well, things happen. Either way, we resent and received our contract on November 2nd.

We officially sent over payment of the deposit with signed forms the other day and all cleared.

Woo hoo, so 348 days to go and it's going to come so quick!

Also, I made a pledge to myself. I have a personal goal to lose 70lbs before the wedding. In doing so, I am rewarding myself something I NEVER thought I'd do... EVER.. I'm going to jump out of a plan (Uncle Jessie style... if you know what I mean ) and skydive. I know what you are thinking... seriously, why would you reward yourself with something your so afraid of? How is that a reward? I beleive that if I can overcome years of being overweight, I can overcome the fear of heights and planes. Also, I want this marriage to be the start of a fresh new beginning for me and more importantly, us. With that, by doing this jump, it will hopefully release a fresh new start in me inspire something new for the both of us.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #102
johnscafide

Officiant -- Spoiler alert!

If you are family, friends or anyone coming to the wedding, and would not like to be spoiled about a surprise, DO NOT READ.

Otherwise... read on happy Dis peeps!

__________________________________________________ __________

If you have read previous posts not on my PJ, I have mentioned the idea of getting someone famous as officiant. Back when I was a kid, I needed a sponsor for my confirmation. I always wanted this one person to be my sponsor. I was laughed at for my wish, but after, I always said that I'll have him one day....

Sometime last year I asked Heather her opinion on this person, and after asking a few questions, I think she felt comfortable with the idea of having this person do our wedding and I began to research my way into getting a hold of him.

I've kept it a surprise, and am trying to keep it a surprise until the rehearsal itself.

The officiant? If you are a wrestling fan, he's known as The Million Dollar Man, Ted DiBiase. Yes... it's a spoiler alert for anyone reading when they aren't supposed to (you know who you are.. haha).

I tried so hard to get a hold of him. I've followed his philosophy for years and have idolized him growing up. I wouldn't let go in reaching out.

So I spent days calling his agency, and writing letters. No reply. It was a months of trying and still no word. After signing our LOA, I gave it one more chance. I said this would be it, and after this, I'm moving on. I sent an email to a different address, because I just had a feeling about it. Days later, nothing.

I was at work, and I looked through the DisBoards for different options for officiants. I started to understand this wouldn't happen.

It's 1:30pm the next day and I'm about to get ready for work when I get a phone call. Recently I've been getting calls from Disney and other vendors trying to sell wedding stuff. I didn't answer. Instead I looked up the number, and in the Google results it says Ted DiBiase. So I rushed to answer, but they hung up. I went to the back to be in private and dialed the number again. Expecting to hear from a receptionist, instead I hear "Hello, Ted DiBiase". I heard his voice. I thought it was a recording. So I said Hello, I'm calling after just getting a call about booking Ted DiBiase for a wedding. He greeted me again, saying, yes, I had just called you. I couldn't believe it. I was talking to Ted personally. He asked me a lot of questions, and at first I was nervous, and in, well, starstruck mode. But he's a Christian and talked to me about his beliefs and philosophy. I already knew what he was about, but it was great to listen for the hour we talked.

He is a down to earth type guy, and became excited for the fact it's a Disney wedding. We talked over the details, but even now, a few days after the call, I'm still in shock he is going to marry us.

It's a surprise to our family, mainly because a lot of people know him, especially my groomsmen.

Should I tell them? Hmmm, I'm not sure I can hold this secret for a year... we'll see!
Old 11-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #103
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Wow, what an update! First of all, your ring looks great. What is it made out of?

Also, I LOVE Google docs! I just started using them for my online grad school classes (we have some group projects going on right now) and they make things so easy.

And that is amazing news about your officiant! I bet you are just super excited! What a cool thing to have happen
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #104
bunny_pop
Mouseketeer

OMG You got Ted DiBiase OMG!!! WOW That's awesome dude!
Old 11-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #105
johnscafide

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
Wow, what an update! First of all, your ring looks great. What is it made out of?

Also, I LOVE Google docs! I just started using them for my online grad school classes (we have some group projects going on right now) and they make things so easy.

And that is amazing news about your officiant! I bet you are just super excited! What a cool thing to have happen
It's Tungsten Ceramic. I'm not a traditional gold type person, and Tungsten is heavier, which is what I want. I don't want to feel like the ring isn't there.

Yea, Google Docs can't be beat. We have so many documents for little things, that, without Google, we wouldn't have. There would be no way, we would have like 10 or so documents in Word or Excel saved in multiple locations for us to view or open on multiple computers. This is a time-saver most definitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny_pop View Post
OMG You got Ted DiBiase OMG!!! WOW That's awesome dude!
I couldn't be happier having Ted do the wedding. I'm just hoping I can keep this surprise for another 340+ days...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: