Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011, 02:39 AM   #76
johnscafide
A wish can last a day. Disney wishes last forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLuvLuv View Post
the grand villas are pretty sweet, but i think you would get more beds out of 2 2-BR villas and it's a couple dollars cheaper (just did the math if you do points). if you get them as a lock off... then it would be like you had your own villa with your DF if you kept the door shut. (did that make sense?)

if you do rent points, you need to hunt someone out now that will hold them for you and make the reservation at exactly 11 months--the MK view books fast!! what are the dates you're going?? i'm bored... i'll run some numbers.

i can see her point of view of spending the $$ for others, but if you really want them to be there... i would do it. i think i'm going to get park tickets for a few christmas presents or make the deposit on their rooms.
OMG, so sorry... I work second shift, so I had just missed your message. The point total is 424 for Grand Villa during the week. For more information on the calculation, wait for my next posting... it's BIG! I'm not sure I follow about the lock off? Is that where conjoining doors are locked?

I know I need to find someone quick. I think if I choose to go through with this, I'll need to find someone ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
If I were your FI, my big issue would be spending such a large chunk of money helping out the family. I know you want them there, but if they can't afford it there are MUCH cheaper options for helping them out than dropping $5.5k when you already have to pay for a wedding.

Admittedly, I know nothing about your family dynamics or their their situation, so that may play in to this as well, but just from the information provided, I feel that I would be upset as well if I were your FI.

Also, I would be careful about listening to the reasons your family are giving. If they're saying they can't come for money reasons, then paying for their stay will help, but if they have work, no vacation time, or other obligations then spending so much money to pay for their stay may be in vain, and may put them in the awkward situation of having to turn down such a generous gift.
The issues are about vacation time or work/school, etc. They are super excited about going. Their biggest fear is cost of vacation. They won't be getting park tickets since most of them have been there almost every other year and there is plenty of other things to do.......including the wedding of course . Cost of transportation is high, but they understand it's not too much compared to resort costs. And as much as worried they are, they are extremely excited and can't wait to go. I couldn't be happier for that fact, and is one of the major reasons I want to make it special for my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger536 View Post
I hope you get the date sorted out and get the time you want!

Also, just a thought, I had a 2 hour DP and it flew by. People didn't seem bored at all. Particularly after a few drinks. Also, some people were late, so having the 8-10 pm slot built in some cushion. But then again, my DP was the day before, so not everyone was coming from the same place (like your guests would be) and they hadn't just had a ceremony and reception beforehand.

Good luck with the planning!

PS: the grand villa sounds awesome! I want to stay in BLT someday!
Thank you!! I love the Grand Villa. It's SOOOO AWESOME!!!! The 2 hour DP is definitely considered. Actually, I have some HUGE news coming soon. I'll be posting about that later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBuggy0922 View Post
I agree with this. I mean, it's not just a hotel your family has to pay for--- it's also plane tickets and food, etc, etc. And five nights is a long time--- and expenses at disney for 5 nights add up quickly, as I'm sure you know! I think if you were to do this then you should just ask your family first. I know it might be an awkward conversation (and maybe you were planning on asking them first anyway!), but definitely a necessary one.

I would also think about you and your DF--- are you two going to want to be in the same "room" with your family after your wedding? Just another thing to consider! I do, however, think this is VERY sweet, and very nice of you to even think about offering.
I started to plant the seeds on the idea of everyone "rooming" together. To my surprise, they all like the idea. I even mentioned the Villa (sorta) to them, and they all agreed that it would be a price decrease then going in (lets say) Pop Century in all separate rooms. Plus it's easy for everyone getting together or getting to the wedding. They see it as a cost savings to them, and don't mind staying together. All the good in making this an awesome christmas gift to them. Big cost savings in their eyes, and when they're down there, they'll never want to go to a Value resort again!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #77
johnscafide

The sweetest thing in life is Chocolate... or in this case...

A Disney Wedding in late October!!!

YES! It's official. I received an email from Bill during my lunch break, and while looking at the first few words, I read "Good news". I was excited! I couldn't wait to read, but so very nervous. Our first alternate date was accepted and available for a 2:30 ceremony!!!!!!!!!!

Super cool in fact, that now we can start the real planning stuff and the stress of finding a date and time are over.

October 24, 2012

A few stats about 10/24/12:
  1. It was the date we both first said we loved each other. AKA: The Hawaii Incident.
  2. It's Halloween themed in Disney!
  3. It's going to be a little cooler in temperature.
  4. The World Series should be playing that week (Go Phillies!)

We are super excited about this milestone. Sure, it's only a date. But to go through 2 months of agonizing pain in getting the date and time, this works out best for us!

In other news, I am still saying yes to the whole idea of BLT for the family. I think Heather understands my wish for family to be together. We're Italian, and while that doesn't mean anything different, we are just close, and I wouldn't want my family to go through hardships just for us. Again, this is all for them (okay, for us, but you know ).
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #78
super_k0116
Mouseketeer

Wow. So that means you and Heather on the 24th, K80K on the 25th, and me on the 26th! How crazy and fun.

Congrats on picking a new date and it working out!
Old 07-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #79
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

awesome! im glad things are working out!
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #80
kmg148
DIS Veteran

Awesome John! What a stress relief for you!
kmg148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #81
johnscafide

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_k0116 View Post
Wow. So that means you and Heather on the 24th, K80K on the 25th, and me on the 26th! How crazy and fun.

Congrats on picking a new date and it working out!
Super cool! We'll all be around... however yours is in Coronado Springs... but we'll have to catch up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
awesome! im glad things are working out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg148 View Post
Awesome John! What a stress relief for you!
It sure is! Now on the more stressful parts...
Old 07-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #82
johnscafide

Location, Location, Location... Or so they say.

The weekends always make me glad I don't work retail anymore.

Yes, it was a random statement, especially for a starting post, but eh, it makes me happy that I can actually relax and enjoy my friday night with Heather and the weekend that follows.

I don't think I say it much (if at all) on here, but I really love my girl. She's been so awesome to me, for all these years, and I feel so grateful to be able to spend these next 15+ months planning such an awesome wedding.

I've been considering the planning session trip in April. At first it was going to be in early April, but with the date change, we will be pushing back the session until later in the month. That's fine with me, I guess it'll have to do. Heather's mom will be traveling with us, and I'm actually glad we have her with us. When she came to the bridal showcase with us, she seemed really excited and really into it all. She's never been to Disney before the showcase in over 20 years, and it was nice to have someone else see it for a first time; it's an exciting feeling (like christmas, when you give someone a gift... the excitement you get when they open it is priceless).

We talked about a plan on which dates... April 26 - 30th. Just a few days, it's a cost thing... and also for the fact we don't have much vacation time. We need to save as many as we can get for the wedding weeks.

The plan was to get DVC points for AKV, and enjoy the savannah view. But now, after a good day or two to sit on it, I'm thinking we should just settle for a Pop Century weekend. Every dollar saved is important, especially with the huge (unknown) budget that is going to hit us a month after the planning session. And for the fact that we could be getting the 20% AP discount, I think it's in our best interest to do POP. It's all good though, b/c DVC will definitely be happening for the Honeymoon. We are still discussing the wedding week... I still think GF may be the best option, but I'll think about that some more another day.

For now, I think it's time to enjoy tonight and get ready for the family dinner this weekend.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #83
johnscafide

We'd like to think we're changing it up a little - Engagement Photos

There hasn't been much news over the weekend. Family came over and we discussed the date change. They were all for it. They seem to like anytime but June-September. They are not summer Disney fans!

Either way, we started to look over photography. Specifically for the Engagement Photos. Our plan is to go down for the planning session, and do the trial run for her hair/makeup and get pics down there. While looking through the regular list of vendors (ie. Misty, Root, Randy, Cory), I thought they would be just that- regular. I'm looking for something different, something a little unique. By all means, all of their styles are awesome, and I really like Root. But as many times as they have done it, I'm not sure I just want to be another stat for their Disney themed Engagement Photos. Then again, I'd be a hypocrite by saying it's possible we would be choosing them for the wedding shots, which we might be. I guess I just want different, at least for the Engagement Photos.

So, for months, I've been glued to one of my high school friends' website who has a full time business. Her style is very colorful and outgoing. It's different than some of the others on the list of regulars. I like different, so I figured I'd reach out to her.

One thought that I knew would catch me off guard -- She lives in South Jersey, and the Engagement photos would obviously be done in Disney. I wasn't sure how she'd take it, but I wanted a good sell to her. I really like what she does, and I wanted to try to find a way to get her aboard.

I gave her all the details for the weekend we are going down. Explained how we aren't looking for "cheesy" Disney hats and balloons (sorry). We want natural shots she'd accustomed to, but with subtle Disney (ie. Walking on the Polynesian beach near dusk, with the lights of the Castle glowing from a far). We suggested since she has a family with 2 kids, to go down as a vacation a couple days prior to scope out the scenes we like, and get creative. She's been to Disney before, so it isn't all new to her. But it is new for her photos to be Disney. And this is exactly why we chose her for these pictures. "We'd like to think we're changing it up a little." She has a certain style, but now being in a different environment, challenges you to be different. Again, we aren't looking for a cookie-cutter photographer who's done these, time and time again at Disney. Surely, they know the ins and outs, but it's often times good to feel refreshed, and genuine.

So, she said she'd read over my email, then send over details on her thoughts soon. I'm excited and nervous, I'd love to have her go.

To get a glimpse of what she does, you can visit Kristy's company, Syllipsi Photography, at www.syllipsiphoto.com
Old 07-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #84
NicknNancy
Mouseketeer

That's awesome that you can bring in your own photographer...it's even better that it's someone you know and that you can trust. I agree that photographers who do Disney a lot tend to do the same thing over and over. I'm sure your friend will see Disney as a blank canvas and will come up with a ton of new and original shots!

Congrats on the date change too! Glad to see you got the ever so coveted 2:30 time slot lol. We are getting married at the same time and here's how our timeline looks just to give you an idea of flow:

Ceremony: 2:30-3:30
Pre-Reception: 3:30-4:30
Reception: 4:30-8:00
Dessert Party: 8:30-9:30

Not sure if the Wishes fireworks run the same time as illuminations (which is what we're doing) but if so...I think your timeline will be a little similar.

Keep up with the awesome plans! Can't wait to see more!
NicknNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #85
johnscafide

Pictures are worth a thousand .... extra dollars!

I haven't given up, no no. It's been a while and a lot has gone down.

For starters, the whole Photography situation put us in a bit of a dilemma for a good week or so. While it would have been really cool to have my high school friend do the photography, the cost to have her there exceeded what we originally thought. The packages were extremely reasonable... if it was a local wedding, but paying her to get down there was way too much between airfare and accommodations. It just didn't make sense. I feel bad for not choosing her, but we can't do anything that isn't possible. HOWEVER, we gave ourselves 3 options...

Technically, we could have her down, so to give a total cost it would have been:

Kristy -- Total Package with E-shots/wedding and tons of goodies such as books and prints $2,999 Add in Travel expenses, and it's an additional $1,200. Looking at a rough estimate of $4,200. Still a lot cheaper than some of the people in Orlando already, but they have the Disney experience.

Misty -- She was a choice that we thought would be great. We liked her style (at first, I'd admit, wasn't my cup of tea, but I've grown to it) and the price was similar to Kristy's with the travel fees.

Root -- Root is, was and always would be our main choice. We love their style, and taking out all the reviews on the Disboards, we'd still pick them mainly for their looks. It's also nice that it's a 2 person team consisting of a married couple who strive on having the best! Not to down play anyone else, but they just seem to go above and beyond. The downside was the price. Eeks... We got their pricing guide and we didn't know what to make of it. However, we knew great pictures were going to come at a price. We slept on it overnight... okay, maybe 3 nights. I think at one point it became apparent we couldn't afford them and added a supplement option instead of Root.

Cory -- Cory's look was good and simple. We wanted to get more information, so Heather sent him an email....... a week later... no response.

At this point, confused with which to choose, we added the possibility of using PhotoMingle. We've been talking about it for months now and we really were excited about its use. We got our quote, had a lot of our questions answered, and it was almost a done deal for us to get.

Until that is when I came up with a plan on how to get Root part of our wedding.

We know we want a lot of hours. We have a long day ... adding in DP, it turns into a 8-10 hour day. We also want shots of us getting ready and all. So we factored in 10 hours.

We aren't doing the E-shots anymore since our plan was using the e-shots as our STDs, but if we are going down 6 months prior for the planning, the STDs aren't needed that late in the planning. We also decided to eliminate the canvas wrap. This leaves us with Package 1, with 4 hours. We did the a la carte options to add 6 more hours and we have a VERY decent package price for what we want; a lot cheaper than what we originally saw a week prior.

So, Root it IS!! These pictures are definitely worth a thousand "extra" then some of the other options, but they will mean so much more to us, and we are glad we are going to get what we want!!

After emailing Root a few times, we came up with an awesome addition. I wanted to take my groomsmen out for a guys day out (similar to a bachelor party, but watered down). I've been going back and forth with the same old activities like parasailing, jet skiing, etc. But then I thought of the Richard Petty Driving Experience. We could all do a ride a long for a little, then go to dinner at either the ESPN Zone or outside Disney, the Medieval Times Dinner. I also sent an email to ESPN's Wide World of Sports to see if we could a private batting practice type deal.

All in all.. the plan for this day would be to have Root follow us during the experience and shoot our couple hours. They loved the idea.. now we just need to work out the details.

So, X on PhotoMingle (too much cost, and don't need it since we have an awesome Photography team), X on Eshots (for now, Heather still wants them, maybe up in PA in Novemberish)... X on Misty and Cory. Actually, Cory called Heather just yesterday, a week after our original email. Oh well!

And to our surprise and excitement.... Root is our Photographer.

Yes, it has been a long week and a half.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #86
mjshorses
Fezzik: Why do you wear a mask? Were you burned by acid, or something like that? Man in Black: Oh no, it's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future. --The Princess Bride

Congrats on getting Roots photography. Glad to hear you have one more check off your list.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #87
johnscafide

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicknNancy View Post
That's awesome that you can bring in your own photographer...it's even better that it's someone you know and that you can trust. I agree that photographers who do Disney a lot tend to do the same thing over and over. I'm sure your friend will see Disney as a blank canvas and will come up with a ton of new and original shots!

Congrats on the date change too! Glad to see you got the ever so coveted 2:30 time slot lol. We are getting married at the same time and here's how our timeline looks just to give you an idea of flow:

Ceremony: 2:30-3:30
Pre-Reception: 3:30-4:30
Reception: 4:30-8:00
Dessert Party: 8:30-9:30

Not sure if the Wishes fireworks run the same time as illuminations (which is what we're doing) but if so...I think your timeline will be a little similar.

Keep up with the awesome plans! Can't wait to see more!
It's a shame we switched it all around (see above), but it's all worth it! Originally we were thinking doing Italy DP and seeing Illuminations, but I think Wishes fits us best!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjshorses View Post
Congrats on getting Roots photography. Glad to hear you have one more check off your list.
Absolutely!! Now it's just time to actually book them and pay the deposit.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #88
NicknNancy
Mouseketeer

That's awesome! Congrats! Isn't it fun when you find loopholes in things to make your life easier?? lol
NicknNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #89
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

Yay congrats!!
LuvLuvLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #90
elleinad16
One of 11 couples to tie the knot at Disney World on 11-11-11!

I feel like photography is one of the harder things to nail down in the planning process, but it looks like you will be in absolutely wonderful hands and have great results. So happy for you!
November 2003 - WDW: Yacht Club CL • December 2004 - DLR: Offsite • December 2005 - DLR: Offsite • August 2006 - DCL: Disney Wonder-Bahamas • May 2009 - WDW: Coronado Springs • September 2009 - DLR: Inaugural D23 Expo • May 2010 - WDW: Port Orleans French Quarter • August 2010 - WDW: POP Century • November 2010 - D23: Fantasia Boston Event • March 2011 - WDW: Day Trip • May 2011 - WDW: Wilderness Lodge CL • November 2011 - WDW: Grand Floridian for our Disney Fairy Tale Wedding • May 2012 - D23: Boston FANniversary Event & WDW: Caribbean Beach • September 2012 - DVC: Vero Beach • October 2012 - D23: Wreck-It Ralph Boston Event • February 2013 - WDW : Art of Animation • UPCOMING: May 2014 - DVC: Hilton Head Island!
elleinad16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: