Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > Podcast Cruises
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #31
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
I am hesitant to post my room number. I have a cabin assigned, but I am thinking too much and wondering...

I know everyone has different ideas, let's hear them.

I am going to have an interior cabin.
Better on deck 2 - closer to restaurants, entertainment and exit to the dock? or up on deck 8 or 9?
Interesting question Lyn. In your case I might stick with deck 2. As you note, its closer to entertainment, food, etc. The obvious downside is that the pools and the buffet, etc will necessitate a wait for the elevator. But if I recall correctly, you're not really a pool/lay in the sun person so that might not be a big thing.

The only real reason, IMHO, to go for a cabin on an upper deck is if you have an outside one so you get a higher view. With an inside cabin that's not an issue either.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #32
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

We're in one of the double-wide family ocean views. DH thinks that since cabins are so big, only need one cabin. He didn't quibble about spending the $$ for Podcast cruise, so we'll try cabin.
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #33
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Got our cabin number - 9044!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #34
chirurgeon
I am a delicate flower and need my sleep
I'm trying to avoid Emeldaitis

Quote:
I am hesitant to post my room number. I have a cabin assigned, but I am thinking too much and wondering...

Better on deck 2 - closer to restaurants, entertainment and exit to the dock? or up on deck 8 or 9?
And if you are on deck 8 or 9, it would be easier to trade us looking at your virtual porthole with you sitting out on our verandah.

Kim
CBR 4/00, YC 12/02, ASSp 6/05, AKL/BWI 12/06, ASSP/POFQ 6/07, POFQ/AKL 12/08, PCC 1 5/09, Dolphin/POP 2.0 12/09, POFQ/BCV 04/10, PCC 2.0 12/10, POR 12/11, ABD BSM 7/12, PCC 4.0 12/12, BC 4/13, ABD BSM 7/14
chirurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #35
Yvet
♫ She is a dancing queen ♪ One of the Netherpeople
Has quite a unique FE

Deck 2 is going to be THE party deck...
just saying

Upcomming Trip:
WDW: May 9th 2013
DCL: May 18th EBTA

Previous Trips:
ABD: 2011 (Backstage Magic)
DCL: 2008 (Western) - 2009 (PCC1.0) - 2010 (EBTA, MED, PCC2.0) - 2012 (PCC3.0, PCC4.0)
DL, 2000 - 2006 - 2011.
DLRP, 1995 - 1996 - 2002 - 2003 - 2007 - 2008 - 2011 - 2012.
WDW, 1999 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 (april/may + dec) - 2009 (april/may + dec) - 2010 (april/may + dec) - 2011 (april/may + dec) - 2012 (June + Dec).
Yvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #36
Fastpaks
Living the Dream, One Image at a time!

Quote:

I was in this thought the other day as well. Am I on the right room, should we upgrade, and then ultimately, I thought I just want to be on the ship so I'm going to live with what I choose and go from there. I might even be in a lower class 11b instead of 11a according to the Deck reviews.

Personally, I just don't like being on a lower deck. Louder because of the clubs. The aft tends to be louder on docking. We chose the mid front of deck 8 because we are next to the forward elevators which would take us to all the entertainment plus adult pool area for me. In our experience, we have almost always been the first off the ship just because of how we were ready to depart not because of the deck we were on. What ever you choose, stick with it don't over think once you are decided.... then countdown to the fun!!
Old 03-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #37
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaks View Post
I was in this thought the other day as well. Am I on the right room, should we upgrade, and then ultimately, I thought I just want to be on the ship so I'm going to live with what I choose and go from there. I might even be in a lower class 11b instead of 11a according to the Deck reviews.

Personally, I just don't like being on a lower deck. Louder because of the clubs. The aft tends to be louder on docking. We chose the mid front of deck 8 because we are next to the forward elevators which would take us to all the entertainment plus adult pool area for me. In our experience, we have almost always been the first off the ship just because of how we were ready to depart not because of the deck we were on. What ever you choose, stick with it don't over think once you are decided.... then countdown to the fun!!
On the Dream, the clubs are on deck 4 aft, so the people in the balcony cabins on deck 5 aft get to deal with the noise late at night. The cabins on deck 2 are all mid-ship or forward. The 11Cs on deck 2 are also the least expensive. DCL already costs more than other cruise lines at the same time of year and with the same itinerary, so I'm not giving DCL any more money than necessary to be on the ship!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #38
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
As you note, its closer to entertainment, food, etc. The obvious downside is that the pools and the buffet, etc will necessitate a wait for the elevator.
Either wait for the elevator to go to snack/ buffet and pool or wait for elevator to go to restaurants and entertainment. Or walk lots of stairs!

Quote:
But if I recall correctly, you're not really a pool/lay in the sun person so that might not be a big thing.
Well, I might sit out by the pool if it was not so windy!

Quote:
The only real reason, IMHO, to go for a cabin on an upper deck is if you have an outside one so you get a higher view. With an inside cabin that's not an issue either.
I was thinking that with our inside cabin, the quickest outside view (other than the virtual porthole) would be quick flights to the top deck. Sunrise, starry nights, coming into port would be best viewed from topside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirurgeon View Post
And if you are on deck 8 or 9, it would be easier to trade us looking at your virtual porthole with you sitting out on our verandah.
Kim
Sounds fair. Except you are aft and my current assigned cabin is deck 9 forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvet View Post
just saying
Well, Yvette, I am sure the party people will be on deck two. But will you actually be partying on deck two? Or somewhere above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaks View Post
What ever you choose, stick with it don't over think once you are decided.... then countdown to the fun!!
Ain't this the truth! I always seem to over think things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
The 11Cs on deck 2 are also the least expensive. DCL already costs more than other cruise lines at the same time of year and with the same itinerary, so I'm not giving DCL any more money than necessary to be on the ship!
Very good point!

My sister's only other cruise was this past New Year's week. She had a balcony on Carnival.
I really want her to be impressed with the Disney cruise, even if we are in an inside room.
I asked her. She said she'd "like being on 9 to get up and outside to the fun stuff quicker". Even though saving $100 on the lower level, she thinks she would prefer the higher level.

I think I am underestimating the steps on the six flights of stairs to get to dinner. I'll bet we will be waiting for the elevator.

(I really can't recall how many times I waited for the elevator on the Wonder vs. taking the stairs. I do know that I could never remember if my cabin was fore of aft. Under the spa or under Palo? One time I got out of the elevator and circled three quarters around the deck to find my cabin!)

Maybe I should compromise and book a cabin on deck 8?
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #39
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was thinking that with our inside cabin, the quickest outside view (other than the virtual porthole) would be quick flights to the top deck. Sunrise, starry nights, coming into port would be best viewed from topside....

My sister's only other cruise was this past New Year's week. She had a balcony on Carnival.
I really want her to be impressed with the Disney cruise, even if we are in an inside room.
I asked her. She said she'd "like being on 9 to get up and outside to the fun stuff quicker". Even though saving $100 on the lower level, she thinks she would prefer the higher level.

I think I am underestimating the steps on the six flights of stairs to get to dinner. I'll bet we will be waiting for the elevator.

(I really can't recall how many times I waited for the elevator on the Wonder vs. taking the stairs. I do know that I could never remember if my cabin was fore of aft. Under the spa or under Palo? One time I got out of the elevator and circled three quarters around the deck to find my cabin!)

Maybe I should compromise and book a cabin on deck 8?
If your sister is happy with the deck 9 location, and you want to see sunrise, starry nights, and coming into port - then stay put.

I don't mind stairs going down - even a LOT of stairs. It's the ones going up that are the killers!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #40
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Stairs for going down.
Elevator for going up!

On the Wonder, I enjoyed the staircases because I would pause to admire the artwork on the landings.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #41
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
I don't mind stairs going down - even a LOT of stairs. It's the ones going up that are the killers!
Quote:
Stairs for going down.
Elevator for going up!

On the Wonder, I enjoyed the staircases because I would pause to admire the artwork on the landings.
For me, the up is easier [and less painful] than the down. I do like the artwork. And there'll be a whole new set on Fantasy.
What is an FE?

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #42
Yvet
♫ She is a dancing queen ♪ One of the Netherpeople
Has quite a unique FE

Quote:
Well, Yvette, I am sure the party people will be on deck two. But will you actually be partying on deck two? Or somewhere above?
Yes we are!!!!!!!!
We are on deck 2 #2528

We are in!!!!!

Upcomming Trip:
WDW: May 9th 2013
DCL: May 18th EBTA

Previous Trips:
ABD: 2011 (Backstage Magic)
DCL: 2008 (Western) - 2009 (PCC1.0) - 2010 (EBTA, MED, PCC2.0) - 2012 (PCC3.0, PCC4.0)
DL, 2000 - 2006 - 2011.
DLRP, 1995 - 1996 - 2002 - 2003 - 2007 - 2008 - 2011 - 2012.
WDW, 1999 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 (april/may + dec) - 2009 (april/may + dec) - 2010 (april/may + dec) - 2011 (april/may + dec) - 2012 (June + Dec).
Yvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #43
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Stairs for going down.
Elevator for going up!

On the Dream, I did the stairs most of the time so I could enjoy all that delicious food! I did end up getting to the higher floors faster than my husband, who took the elevator most of the time. The artwork is a major bonus of doing the stairs too.

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
NitroStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #44
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

Quote:
Yes we are!!!!!!!!
We are on deck 2 #2528

We are in!!!!!
So glad you are coming...can't wait to see you again !!!!

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #45
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
just saying
It sure is!!!!

The lower you are, the more stable the ship feels.

And I always take the stairs unless I'm exhausted. Only way I can taste the desserts onboard!!!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: