Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #91
brenalexacamp
DIS Veteran

I would spend the extra few dollars, get the snack credit, and then order whatever I wanted- I tend to LOVE the steaks, seafood- more expensive items.
Boardwalk-Down Syndrome Convention July 2010
Saratoga Springs February 2010 New DVC!!
Boardwalk May 2008
POR August 2007
Fort Wilderness April 2004
Disneyland August 2002
offsite February 2000
offsite October 1998
Honeymoon offsite November 1988
me, DS 21
DS 18, DD 17
brenalexacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #92
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

Cool thread!

Planning a "super-secret" October F&WF weekend!

DFTVR - Memories Collection, October 2010 at Conch Key Marina
LittleStinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #93
XGrumpy1
DIS Veteran

Breakfast - Cherrios and coffee in room before I go out, $0.00, Always drink water, and carry your own refillable bottle, get a half chicken for lunch, split it with the wife $10 or so, for dinner order 1 entree and 1 appetizer and split it with the wife $30 or so, microwave popcorn in the room when we get there.

That's been my plan for a long time now.
XGrumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #94
Eeyore's Wife
DIS Veteran

BRenalexacamp, it is not just that $5 more gets you a snack and whatever you want to eat. The plan you are referencing is $45.99 during regular season, and $47.99 during peak.

In addition, it provides one table service meal where you must supply the tip. Given that you enjoy ordering the more expensive items, that tip can easily run $8.00 per day at almost any one credit restaurant.

The additional costs mean that you have paid an additional $14 for the day, and you got only two meals and one snack. My original thread plans provide for three meals per day, plus a snack, for under $40, including tax and tip, plus eating at a table service meal.

There are a few plans later in the listing which look at how much meat/volume can be had for three meals, including tax and tip, which came in under $40 per day. There is also a plan for high volume consumption at counter service only.

There are times I still use the dining plan, but I personally enjoy at least three meals per day and a snack. Yes, the meals are smaller, but that way I do not end up with feeling over full and "stuffed" because of the big meal and grumpy with low sugar because I went too long between eating.

There are certain trips, for us, where the dining plan makes sense, but there are numerous eating styles where paying OOP is by far the better choice.

I am not denigrating the regular dining plan, and if it works for you, wonderful, but it is not as simple as adding in just $5 and suddenly getting a great deal more of higher quality for everyone.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #95
Pumba's Truth
"They call me Mr. Pig!"

Awesome take on the whole DDP vs OOP - it really does breakdown the dollars and cents of it all quite nicely.

Thanks.

PS. We're doing OOP for the first time in 4 trips - it's going to be interesting to see how we fare. We'll be doing an assesment vs. the dining plan options after we return to see which would have been better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's Wife View Post
BRenalexacamp, it is not just that $5 more gets you a snack and whatever you want to eat. The plan you are referencing is $45.99 during regular season, and $47.99 during peak.

In addition, it provides one table service meal where you must supply the tip. Given that you enjoy ordering the more expensive items, that tip can easily run $8.00 per day at almost any one credit restaurant.

The additional costs mean that you have paid an additional $14 for the day, and you got only two meals and one snack. My original thread plans provide for three meals per day, plus a snack, for under $40, including tax and tip, plus eating at a table service meal.

There are a few plans later in the listing which look at how much meat/volume can be had for three meals, including tax and tip, which came in under $40 per day. There is also a plan for high volume consumption at counter service only.

There are times I still use the dining plan, but I personally enjoy at least three meals per day and a snack. Yes, the meals are smaller, but that way I do not end up with feeling over full and "stuffed" because of the big meal and grumpy with low sugar because I went too long between eating.

There are certain trips, for us, where the dining plan makes sense, but there are numerous eating styles where paying OOP is by far the better choice.

I am not denigrating the regular dining plan, and if it works for you, wonderful, but it is not as simple as adding in just $5 and suddenly getting a great deal more of higher quality for everyone.
Pumba's Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #96
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Great job. the only thing I would probably change and it may add 3 bucks more to my breakfast tab is the sweets for breakfast almost every day. I'd probably substitute it for a bowl of cereal but that's just taste preference.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #97
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Alright, I'm taking a stab at this and hope I don't get in trouble for incorrect math. I used Allears prices, not in high season.

We have young children and feel a need to do one character meal just for them. One of our favorites is Tusker House at AK because it is a fun environment for the kids and has decent and interesting food for adults.

So here is my AK with a character meal.

Breakfast: Husafari; Coffee and Cheese Danish: $4.48

Lunch: Tusker House: $24.76

Snack: Harambe Fruit Market: Jalapeno pretzel $4.29 (or any ice cream treat in the park if you prefer.)

Dinner: Yak & Yeti Counter Service: Chicken Fried Rice (delish! to quote Rachel Ray) $3.99

I believe this adds up to $37.52 which is good because if we are talking reality I would have a Diet Coke with my fried rice. But that made 3 non-water drinks so I left it off.

But these are all things I regularly eat and would be PLENTY for me or my dh for the day. In reality we would order egg rolls and the fried rice and split them AND we would split the one jalapeno pretzel and I would probably get a banana.

Last edited by estherhead; 04-19-2011 at 12:03 PM.
estherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #98
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Also, we tried to do a kid under your guidelines, have to eat kid's meals, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, tips and taxes and struggled to get it under $20.00, let alone the $14.99 that is the DDP.

So for us these past few years, with 3 kids and 2 adults, the DDP has made sense. As our kids cross into the double digits age-wise (not 9 anymore) we will have to re-work our numbers. Our eldest was 10 this past year, but still eats smaller amounts allowing us to share many of her adult meals. So the DDP still worked for us.

But if the exercise of $40.00 a day ($5 under the DDP) is applied to kids, it becomes an impossible exercise. Even hitting $14.99 wasn't possible.
estherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #99
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I could do it with just food...but alcoholic beverages ruin the entire thing. And I'm not going without a margarita. Or two.
Did you just say "alcoholic beverages ruin the entire thing" ? Blastphemy Nala!

I say lets do a thread where $40 alchoholic budget for a day and let food "ruin the whole thing"!
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #100
Eeyore's Wife
DIS Veteran

Ah, doing a plan with kids. Yes, when we had a three year old and a nine year old, who both LOVED character meals, the DDP was great for us. We usually wanted three to four of these meals whether or not we were on the plan.

In that case, especially when the plan included tip, it was a great deal. We saved money over what we would have spent OOP.

Now, we have two teenagers and a toddler who freaked out when meeting several characters, so those meals (and their very high prices) are on hold.

I am working on a diabetic/low sugar/lower carb plan, but should also look at putting together a kids plan that focuses on variety and better food options as well.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #101
Sorcerer's Dad
Mouseketeer

It was very interesting reading the postings. Actually makes me want to try some of the places I have never tried in 20+ years of many visits to WDW.
Sorcerer's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #102
Tyme4wdw
DIS Veteran

Job well done!!! This is awesome!
Tyme4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #103
Tyme4wdw
DIS Veteran

Let's see how I do:

AK:
Kusafiri Coffee Shop & Bakery.... Muffin and Juice $5.18
Tusker House Lunch.... $20.99
Flame Tree BBQ.... BBQ Pork Sandwich and Soda $10.68

Total for the day.... $36.85

Last edited by Tyme4wdw; 04-19-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #104
disneygirlmass
Mouseketeer

Wow, I'm impressed...I love the idea!
disneygirlmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #105
Tyme4wdw
DIS Veteran

MK:

Main Street Bakery...Egg, Ham & Cheese Croissant & Orange Juice $8.38
Tony's Lunch.... Baked Ziti and Soda $16.68
Cosmic Ray's.... 1/2 Rot. Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Veggies and Soda $12.18

Total $37.24

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: