DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
auroraarielella
Mouseketeer

$95 resort fee

I'm a renter of DVC points, and was just browsing e-bay. I note some sellers are referring to a $95.00 fee charged by Disney upon check-in. I never encountered that before. Does anyone know what that is?

1973-Contemporary - Wing; 1976-Contemporary - Tower; 1981-Contemporary - Wing; 1990-Carribean Beach - Trinidad South; 2003-All-Star Movies-Toy Story; 2003-All-Star Movies-Mighty Ducks; 2005-Beach Club Villas; 2008-Boardwalk Villas/Carribean Beach Resort - Aruba; 2010- Boardwalk Villas; 2012 - Hard Rock Hotel; 2013 - Boardwalk Villas; 2015 - Boardwalk Villas/Hard Rock Hotel (in planning).
auroraarielella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Brandis
DIS Veteran

This would not apply to DVC-Resort bookings (except maybe Aulani in Hawaii), but if a DVC member wants to book a stay in a Non-DVC Disney Resort and pay with points, a $95 booking fee is charged. Same for DCL bookings or RCI or II point exchanges.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

If someone is selling a DVC resort reservation, and they state it requires a $95 resort fee, run away from this reservation. The seller is trying to resell an RCI trade-in, and this is against RCI's policy. If RCI or DVC find out, you may arrive to find your reservation has been cancelled.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
Lil' Grumpy
Lil' Grumpy is really a Big Sweetie

let the buyer beware.

to me this is high risk situation...it's implying that these are not
dvc owners but rci owners willing to attempt a trade in for
those wanting to used dvc villas. [ i don't think this should be
allow], so these vacation club owners , is using dvc to increase
their prices. even to "pass on" the 95$ fee.]

the risk would be on those thinking they are dvc owners. if
something goes wrong, they will just vanish.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
utahkennedys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
If someone is selling a DVC resort reservation, and they state it requires a $95 resort fee, run away from this reservation. The seller is trying to resell an RCI trade-in, and this is against RCI's policy. If RCI or DVC find out, you may arrive to find your reservation has been cancelled.
100% agree. This is a dead giveaway of someone selling an RCI trade which is prohibited. I wouldn't want to pay that $$ and how up at DVC without a room...
Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
dbs1228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahkennedys View Post
100% agree. This is a dead giveaway of someone selling an RCI trade which is prohibited. I wouldn't want to pay that $$ and how up at DVC without a room...
I agree with this except that when my mom booked a OKW with her RCI points she was told the 95.00 fee would be charged at check-in at the resort so I have no idea why or how someone could collect this fee ahead of time. I am sure the expert here will know!

dbs1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1228 View Post
I agree with this except that when my mom booked a OKW with her RCI points she was told the 95.00 fee would be charged at check-in at the resort so I have no idea why or how someone could collect this fee ahead of time.
it's not the $95 fee that would be lost. it's the hundreds or thousands of dollars for the reservation that RCI/DVC canceled.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
MFMont
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1228 View Post
I agree with this except that when my mom booked a OKW with her RCI points she was told the 95.00 fee would be charged at check-in at the resort so I have no idea why or how someone could collect this fee ahead of time. I am sure the expert here will know!
I agree
MFMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
I suspect it is not being collected in advance, but rather the RCI scofflaw is informing their "customer" that the fee will be charged when they check in.

In any event, I also agree with the others. You don't want any part of this. RCI's terms and conditions specifically forbid renting out exchanges or Extra Vacations; you are allowed to be reimbursed the exchange fee and guest certificate fee (adding up to about $250) but no more. RCI actively examines the larger rental sites looking for these sorts of things, and they *do* take action---including canceling confirmed exchanges and suspending the scofflaw's account. About once every few months someone comes to TUG to ask what they can do to get their account turned back on, only to be told "Sorry bub. You broke the rules, and you lose."
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
dj~merlin
Earning My Ears

has anyone reported this to dvc?

the original poster has not return & she stated "some" listings, so
are there more than one?

was this psoter a dvc member? i would think members should be
reporting this?
dj~merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
Malaguti Ball Clan
aka the MALABALL an unstoppable family of fun

That doesn't seem right to me, I understand renting points as an owner is okay, but renting RCI trade in's seems wrong to me, somehow kinda rubs me wrong in my integrity nerve.

I rented once from and owner and it was great...so great I ended up buying in This person on Ebay seems to list all sorts of reservations and SEVERAL from OUR DVC

Oh well, the ball in in MS's court now as they now have the info.

SSR/OKW/SOG 14 days June 2009
DCL/AKL Jambo 12 days Sep/Oct 2010

Last edited by Malaguti Ball Clan; 03-26-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Malaguti Ball Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #12
AllieV
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad I came across this thread. I was just looking through ebay listings for some rental points and saw this $95 fee and thought, "gee, I don't remember paying that before when I rented from members." What is RCI?
AllieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
TisBit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaguti Ball Clan View Post
That doesn't seem right to me, I understand renting points as an owner is okay, but renting RCI trade in's seems wrong to me, somehow kinda rubs me wrong in my integrity nerve.

I rented once from and owner and it was great...so great I ended up buying in This person on Ebay seems to list all sorts of reservations and SEVERAL from OUR DVC

Oh well, the ball in in MS's court now as they now have the info.
As a PP mentioned, the rules are in violation of RCI agreements and most likely they would need to be the ones that handle it...not DVC.

As for feeling that it is "wrong", it is no more "wrong" than an owner booking a rental room (aside from possibly violating an RCI rule, where DVC permits limited rentals). These people are not depriving an owner of a room, those rooms were already blocked out for an RCI trade by a member. If the room goes unbooked, a member still will not be able to book it. Really, it just deprives another RCI member the ability to book.
TisBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #14
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TisBit View Post
As for feeling that it is "wrong", it is no more "wrong" than an owner booking a rental room (aside from possibly violating an RCI rule, where DVC permits limited rentals). These people are not depriving an owner of a room, those rooms were already blocked out for an RCI trade by a member. If the room goes unbooked, a member still will not be able to book it. Really, it just deprives another RCI member the ability to book.
First of all, this is not a question of "...possibly violating an RCI rule." It is unquestionably a serious violation of RCI rules. The penalty is cancellation of the reservation, and that is a sanction that RCI is not the least bit hesitant about using.

The "wrong" part is that the person renting an RCI exchange is intentionally placing their customer into a position of extreme risk, without alerting them to the riskiness or consequences...and probably not caring if the customer's vacation is ruined. That's wrong.

Last edited by JimMIA; 03-28-2011 at 10:26 AM.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
it is no more "wrong" than an owner booking a rental room (aside from possibly violating an RCI rule, where DVC permits limited rentals)
As Jim points out, it is quite a bit more "wrong". In one case (RCI) it is forbidden. In the other case (DVC) it is allowed.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: