Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #76
Empress Room
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsweeps View Post
private matter? A person missing in international waters on a cruise is private matter? This means all news sites like cnn.com should be shut down as its reporting killings and murders around the world.
An explanation concerning this being a "private matter" is posted on cruise junkie. The unconfirmed post indicates that this MOB situation was a voluntary, intentional act by the CM who is missing. If true, it would explain why this is less "newsworthy" and more "private."

I understand that the Wonder, like most modern cruise ships, is equipped with 24/7 cameras on the outer decks to monitor MOB situations. DCL may very well be reviewing those recordings for confirmation.

Sad, if true, no matter what the circumstances.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #77
piglet33
DIS Veteran

This is so sad.
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #78
Megan_J
Mouseketeer

A missing person should never be a 'private matter'. Insane! It sounds like Disney is trying to cover its tracks and hide the fact from folks that they are just like any other cruise line.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #79
atinkerbellmom
DIS Veteran

I am sure DCL has this under control. I will respect however they cover the matter as their crew is like family. I am sure everything will turn out just fine. Do companies "cover-up" to protect their company name? Oh For Sure; but I am sure DCL will do everything appropiate to see after their own.

So prayers to her family and friends; no matter what the situation; as them worrying is enough to pray for.

Yes many of us feel AS IF we know the CM personally (the same way people feel they know their medical provider), but know the people who really know her will take care of the situation.

PIXIE DUST to all of the Crew and Family. Bahumbug to the

Thanks, Cheri & Johnna. Thanks Tiny Tink & LtWDWdream. & Thanks Rani
Old 03-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #80
Jessica527
Dreaming Disney Every Minute :)

Comfort comes in numbers

2009: All Star Sports - Dad's First Disney Trip
2007 Part 2: Off Site - HS Trip

2007 Part 1: All Star Music
2005: Off Site - HS Trip[
1998: All Star Sports
Old 03-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #81
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

This is heartbreaking to read. I still consider the Wonder my home ship, even though she's in CA now and I do love the Dream. My thoughts and prayers are with the CM, family, friends and fellow crew members.

It may sound odd, but even crew can fall overboard unintentionally. My neighbor is a cruise director for another line, and a crew member once fell overboard accidentally; can't remember the exact circumstances, but she was doing something careless and fell. Thank God it was discovered quickly and the ship turned around, searched and found her. She said the only thing that kept her treading water was seeing them turn and knowing they were coming back for her.

I pray that this situation has an equally positive outcome, and if not, then I pray for comfort for all involved.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #82
DawnM
Dawn

Praying they find her!

living with 4 boys (dh included)
Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #83
Megan_J
Mouseketeer

I just contacted CNN about this. It's ridiculous to cover something like this up. I can't just sit back and do nothing.

EDIT: They have done reports on people missing from cruise ships before. If they don't report on this I'm fine with that, but I at least tried to get the news out rather than just harp about it on the net.

Last edited by Megan_J; 03-24-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #84
DAKfever
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse!" The great Walt Disney

I agree in respecting their privacy, however I think "most" of us are just offering our warm thoughts and prayers that a positive outcome will be had! We've all cruised DCL and we create a bond with many of the CMs the short time we're on the ship together so it hits us all personally! Prayers are with the CMs of the Wonder!
DCL Magic October 2004 - 7 Night Western shortened to 5 NIGHTS thanks to Hurricane Jean
DCL Magic March 2005 - 7 Night Eastern
DCL Magic May 2008 - 7 Night Western
DCL Magic December 2009 - 7 Night Eastern Tortola
DCL Wonder 01/06/11 - 15 Night Panama Canal cruise
Old 03-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #85
chicagodisneyfan
Peace
He looked ridiculous - but it gave me the giggles for a month

If this is in fact a suicide, I agree it should be a private matter.

However, until that is determined I think it is a matter for the public to know about - was it foul play? A kidnapping? etc. All of those are things I would like to me aware of before I go on vacation.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #86
5lilfish
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan_J View Post
I just contacted CNN about this. It's ridiculous to cover something like this up. I can't just sit back and do nothing.
Seriously?! I mean, I supported the idea that we can all offer prayers. I even agree that, as people who cruise DCL (and many of us have strong feelings for the crew and ships), it isn't wrong to have some discussion about the incident, but I do not agree with this at all.

Jess

Last edited by 5lilfish; 03-24-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #87
crashbb
DIS Veteran

If this was a guest, would anyone here be saying that we shouldn't talk about it? What makes this different? We have many threads here about things that have (or may have) happened to guests.

Megan_J - I'm curious as to what, exactly, you told CNN? That you read a rumour on a message board about a missing person on a boat and you think that there is some major cover up? What is there to tell them?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #88
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Usually the cruise critic site comes up with the stuff very quickly and I went to the disney forum area and nothing has not been mentioned. My prayers go out to the family and hope they would find the person. These things are always so sad.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #89
Megan_J
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
If this was a guest, would anyone here be saying that we shouldn't talk about it? What makes this different? We have many threads here about things that have (or may have) happened to guests.

Megan_J - I'm curious as to what, exactly, you told CNN? That you read a rumour on a message board about a missing person on a boat and you think that there is some major cover up? What is there to tell them?
I gave them the link to this thread. Cruise lines have a long history of downplaying missing people, injured people,etc...on board their ships. If something involving foul play did happen to this girl then the news needs to get out. If it turns out to be nothing then what is the harm done?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #90
5lilfish
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan_J View Post
I gave them the link to this thread. Cruise lines have a long history of downplaying missing people, injured people,etc...on board their ships. If something involving foul play did happen to this girl then the news needs to get out. If it turns out to be nothing then what is the harm done?
I'm sure if it was your child, and it turned out to be "nothing," you'd love having CNN broadcasting it and probably calling you for a comment.

Jess
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: