Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
NancyDVC
DIS Veteran

Question Repositioning for the Magic in 2012???

Am I crazy? I was searching the DCL site for the Magic in May, 2012. Except for the first cruise out of NY there was nothing else listed.
If the Magic is in Florida doing the Caribbean early in 2012 then it has to do a repositioning cruise to get to NY. Right? Unless of course there is some "Disney magic" that I am unaware of that will get the ship to NY without being sailed there.

I know that any sold out cruises are not listed (as that annoying little pop up tells me). But how could a repositioning cruise to NY not be listed due to being a sell out if they only announced the new itineraries on Wednesday?

Or is the Magic due for dry dock in May? And then again I could not find a repositioning cruise for the fall when the Magic goes to Galveston. Is it just me???
Old 04-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
csidisney
Mouseketeer

When I called about this particular cruise yesterday, the CM told me that it was not yet available for booking and to check back at a later date.
csidisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Almagetty
Mouseketeer

There is only a two day window between the end of the Magic's last Bahamas cruise and the start of the first cruise out of NYC, which leads me to believe that the Magic will be sailing from Port Canaveral to New York with no passengers onboard. The Jones Act prohibits foreign flagged vessels from doing open-ended (one-way) cruises between two American ports without calling on a "far-away foreign port" in between. For one-way cruises, the closest far-away foreign port that would qualify is Aruba or Curacao, making it one very long cruise between Florida and New York.

Including 17 Disney Cruises and counting . . .( 12 Magic & 3 Wonder & 2 Dream)

Upcoming Cruises!!

Disney Fantasy Inaugural, March 2012
Almagetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

My TA tells me there are no repos for the Magic. From PC to NY, 2 calendar days, the ship will be FLYING up the coast. Apparently none for NY to TX, either. I would have done that, but settled for Canada to California instead.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
HallsofVA
DIS Veteran

There is only a 2 day or so gap between the Magic's last published sailing before NY and when she start sailing from NY. Since there are no distant foreign ports that she can stop at in that time period to comply with the Jones act and other acts, I believe she won't be able to transport passengers on that repo since she'd be transporting from one US port to another US port (which she can't do as a Bahamas-flagged ship)

There is some debate about whether or not there will be a repo cruise on the NY to TX sailing, which hasn't been announced yet either.
Previous Stops -11/17/12 Fantasy Thanksgiving Eastern to San Juan; 3/31/12 Fantasy MV; 8/21-26/11 WDW Poly;08/16/11 5-nt Dreamy Double-Dip!;8/13-16/11 Universal;09/18/10 14-nt WB Transatlantic; 1/10/10-1/14/10 Bahamas, 1/6/10-1/09/10 AKL, 12/12/09 Western (Cat 3 upgrade); 12/06/08 Eastern (upgraded to the Roy Suite!); 12/03/05 Western (upgrade to Cat 3)
Dream/Fantasy Special Rooms Thread
HallsofVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
NancyDVC
DIS Veteran

Wow I knew that this group was great. And very fast.
Yes I know all about the need for stopping at a foreign port before going back to another US port and 2 days between the Bahamas and the start of the NY cruises is too short.

mickeyfan1 Would 'FLYING up the coast' be aided by fairy dust??

When I checked there are 5 days between the end of the last NY cruise and the start of the Galveston cruises.
I personally think that Bermuda would qualify as a great stopover but I don't believe that the Bermudian government allows for 1 day stops by cruise ships. (On my last Bermuda cruise all the ships had to be out of Bermuda by 5:00 PM on Friday. No cruise ships were allowed in port in Bermuda on the weekends.)

I guess that my dream for a repositioning cruise is gone. And with the prices for the cruises out of NY (a no-fly trip for me) I won't be cruising out of NY next year either.

Thanks for all the info folks! As always the DIS boards come through.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

I can just imagine being on the Magic for those 2 days, remember the passenger who sued Carnival for going too fast? Maybe DCLs lawyers advised against PAX for fear of STOOPID lawsuits!

Come repo on the west coast. You will have to fly, but it will be fun.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
hrhdhd
Mouseketeer

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almagetty View Post
The Jones Act prohibits foreign flagged vessels from doing open-ended (one-way) cruises between two American ports without calling on a "far-away foreign port" in between.
The Jones Act prohibits the carriage of goods. The Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) prohibits the carriage of passengers.

So the Magic would be in violation of the PVSA if it carried passengers between PC and NY without a stop at a distant foreign port.

Cruises Booked:
Princess Regal 12/14 Eastern Caribbean, RCCL Brilliance 05/15 Transatlantic

Cruises Taken:
HAL Zuiderdam 08/05 Western Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/05 Eastern Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/06 Western Caribbean, Princess Dawn 05/07 Alaska, HAL Westerdam 12/07 Eastern Caribbean, Princess Island 12/08 Panama Canal, HAL Ryndam 11/09 Western Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 01/10 Southern Caribbean, HAL Westerdam 12/10 Southern Caribbean, Disney Magic 05/11 Transatlantic, Princess Emerald 12/11 Southern Caribbean, Azamara Quest 10/12 Sicily / Malta, Princess Emerald 11/12 Eastern Caribbean, HAL Eurodam 03/13 Eastern Caribbean, Azamara Quest 08/13 Northern Europe, HAL Eurodam 11/13 Western Caribbean, Princess Ruby 11/14 Western Caribbean
hrhdhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDVC View Post
I personally think that Bermuda would qualify as a great stopover but I don't believe that the Bermudian government allows for 1 day stops by cruise ships. (On my last Bermuda cruise all the ships had to be out of Bermuda by 5:00 PM on Friday. No cruise ships were allowed in port in Bermuda on the weekends.)
Ships can stop in Bermuda for one day, because I was on one in April 2009, and I'll be there again at the end of this month.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
jrm11697
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfan1 View Post
I can just imagine being on the Magic for those 2 days, remember the passenger who sued Carnival for going too fast? Maybe DCLs lawyers advised against PAX for fear of STOOPID lawsuits!

Come repo on the west coast. You will have to fly, but it will be fun.
this may sound like a stupid question and kinda random with what this thing is about but what happened with Carnival? when did this happen? it's not that important but i'm just curious!
jrm11697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

It looks like the last Magic PC cruise is a 5 day which starts on May 18th and ends on May 23rd....the first NYC cruise of the Magic is scheduled for May 25th....only two days between the two....bummer. I was also hoping for a repo northbound.

I would suspect that they would drop passengers back at PC on the morning of the 23rd...and head straight to New York as soon as all the pax were off the ship and any supplies loaded.....and be ready in New York for the 25th cruise.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: